Zero Punctuation: Demon's Souls

Pages PREV 1 . . . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . . . 23 NEXT

Is it just me, or does Yahtzee's boggle-eyed fish-lipped avatar with forehead the size of a fucking airplane luggage compartment look like that orderly from Psychonauts? Just a bit?

axleblaze:
Why do I look at the comments for these? All they manage to do is piss me off. Every week there are aa bunch of stupid sycophants going "great job yahtzee! This game is terrible!" His job is too say bad things about games. If you're not taking his reviews with a grain of salt YOU ARE A MORON! Seriously, here he complained that a game that is known for being hard is hard, and it's clear he didn't even try to get good at it. The dodge button is useless? No it's not. That's simply wrong...you just have to actually use it well rather than mindlessly pressing it. It's also clear that Yahtzee didn't level up or even leave the first level. This is a great game but it takes time and effort. The game is actually very reasonably challenged and almost never actually unfair. It just starts out hard and gives you some strict rules and doesn't hold your hand. Almost every time I died in this game, it was a result of me being unskilled, rather than the game being unreasonable.
To reiterate, if anyone makes a decision of whether or not to buy this or any other game based on one of Yahtzee's "reviews" they are a moron.

Behind Yahtzee's over-critical facade he usually sneaks in some real juicy bits.....
this review goes into some wonderful detail about the first level or so.
I was honestly hoping he'd have manned-up a bit more for this one. My respect for him as a gamer is diminished, but he's still a great guerrilla reviewer.

lifestorm2:
Yahtzee couldn't take the heat :V Come on, Demon'Sssss Souls wasn't hard until you beat it once.

Yeah seriously...he didn't even get past the wrapper.

It sounds like the developers were one of the crazy ones that could actually beat I Wanna Be The Guy.

For the uninitiated:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvL3Vxn1g-8&feature=video_response

This game sounds like what you'd get if you took I Wanna Be The Guy and NetHack, pulled out most of the things from those games that made them fun, and then combined the remaining bits.

That includes the fact that both NetHack and I Wanna Be The Guy are free, so if you want to torture yourself trying to beat them, at least you aren't paying for the privilege.

Schlagwerk:
It sounds like the developers were one of the crazy ones that could actually beat I Wanna Be The Guy.

For the uninitiated:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvL3Vxn1g-8&feature=video_response

To be fair, they were playing it on Very Hard. Playing it on Hard or Medium gives you a lot more save points. While IWBTG is very hard, the frequency of save points and the fact you have infinite lives makes it a lot more bearable. So while the gameplay is probably harder than Battletoads, unlike Battletoads you aren't given a limited number of lives and continues.

Tharticus:
Demon's Souls is pretty much on beyond hard difficulty.

True, but much like playing every other game on hard, you will be a much better gamer because of the fact that it kicks your ass and calls you a bitch.

It's a fair game, though. I never once felt like I died because I was cheated, rather, because of my own careless mistakes.

Demon's Souls has become my FAVORITE GAME OF ALL TIME, but after the first few hours I was ready to sell it on eBay.

You've just got to stick with it until you learn how to fight proficiently, level up, and upgrade your equipment. Then you'll reach the meat of the game and be dazzled by the variety of worlds, the multitude of uniquely-behaved enemies, and the sheer density of interesting situations. This game is hugely satisfying because each new victory, both large and small, is well-earned, a puzzle solved in the mind and then well-executed by the fingers.

It pains me that people are being discouraged from giving this game a try. If all you've done is beat the first level, you don't yet know what this game is all about. You can't even level up until you reach the point at which the review ended.

yeah Demon'ssssssss souls doesn't deserve the rating it got.

Lord_Seth:
This game sounds like what you'd get if you took I Wanna Be The Guy and NetHack, pulled out most of the things from those games that made them fun, and then combined the remaining bits.

This really isn't what the game is like at all, which shows how worthless this review ended up being.
I will say it is much closer to nethack than IWBTG (which really it's nothing like at a;;) but it is infinitely more forgiving than nethack. All dieing does in DS is make you lose you demon's souls. You keep all your items and you start from the last check point and any thing you've done to change the environment stays changed.
The problem with this review as it shows in many people comments is that Yahtzee makes it sound like a game like IWBTG that just hates you and lives to screw you over. Demon's Souls is entirely fair, it's just unforgiving of you if you mess up.

Ryuk2:

yzzlthtz:

Ryuk2:
It actually sounds fun. I want to be challenged, i like the way they do that ''online'' thing, but why the fuck did they have to release it ONLY on PS3?

Uh...because it's Sony's game.

But why? They could get money by selling games to PC/Xbox owners. Instead people will download those games and run them with emulators. (if it's possible)

It isn't possible, atm, and probably won't be for a long time. Also, PS3 is the only non-cracked gaming system.
But why?! But why!? Why will Halo never come to the playstation?! Why will nintendogs always be on Nintendo?!
Who cares! If you really want to play it so bad, get the system it's on. That's half the point of exclusivity.

I like challenge but then again I also like the quick save button, wont be getting into gaming Valhalla. I've always hated the checkpoint system.

I was absolutely thrilled to see Yhatzee review this game since I thought he had passed it, and I wanted to hear him bitch about it. I figured he'd do OK though considering the ,"bewilderingly easy boss fights" of Ninja Gaiden 2 didn't seem to bug him that much.

Donttazemehbro:

Yes it does, I'm sick of these below 100 post tards who think anything Yahtzee says is true without even playing the damn game. Having an Xbox avatar doesn't do much for your credibility either

Yep it's hard and I LIKE IT. You have to learn your battle patterns and each enemy's weakness. Each death is a learning experience. Best game this gen imo instead of all that overrated crap that Infinity Ward keep churning out.

Sorry Yahtzee but you can't nitpick on a game that was designed to be difficult and unforgiving for being too difficult and unforgiving. Play further than the first dungeon and then create a new game. You'll wonder what you thought was so hard about those parts.

Oh yeah and dodging varies depending on your class, and is a roll to the side, NOT a step backwards. Man I can't believe people are putting what you say as fact when it's clearly riddled with uninformed crap and you didn't even complete fifty percent of the game. I know it's for comedy and it's your job to nitpick on stupid shit but man, people should stop taking it seriously.

And no save points? The game saves every time you gain experience, and after you get an item. Have you ever played Diablo, or any loot grabbing dungeon crawler? That's what happens there too. If you abort mid-mission, you have to start over, but keep everything you earned so far. And there are save points midlevel. Yet again, complaining because it's difficult.

This proves you played it for a few hours and it beat you and now you'd rather play those hand holding self-esteem raising games you "hate". That was the worst review from you I've ever seen. Your reviews usually have a point in with all that humour but this one was the worst representation of this game ever, full of contradictions and it was clear you didn't stick to your character style or level them.

Next time you call games these days too easy, make sure you don't call punishing and challenging games too hard.

You cant even pause it?!

Well screw that ...

Thanks man.

I'm too lazy to go back and look up the quote, but someone said anyone who buys/doesn't buy a game based on Yahtzee's review is a moron.

I'd like to extrapolate on that: Anyone who buys/doesn't buy a game based on any review is a moron. Try it for yourselves

Dodging doesn't do shit? I don't know about that, I used it quite a lot and thought the dodging was fine.
The game isn't even that hard, it's just strict. Never has anything killed me without me thinking "Damn, I shouldn't have done that, well, I'll do better next time". Most of the time I screw up myself, the game isn't as unfair to do it for me.
But... I guess it's still good old ZP, I should not take it too seriously.

axleblaze:
Demon's Souls is entirely fair, it's just unforgiving of you if you mess up.

Exactly. Finaly someone who gets it.

I feel bad for Yahtzee and all the people he just convinced to not play this game. It is now one of my favorite games of all time, not just because of the ZOMG HARD hype, but because it was legitimately challenging and very little was actually unfair.

It is DESIGNED to make you mess up, make you fall for all the pitfalls that Yahtzee fell for, so he rage quit over it and said it was pointless to go on. This game requires time, patience, and practice, and when you finally overcome each challenge (assuming it takes you time for any particular challenge) it is a massive sense of accomplishment. Beating the Tower Knight (2nd boss, Yahtzee was ALMOST there) was so fulfilling it reminded me why I played video games in the first place, and I feel bad if you are denying yourself the experience.

Yeah, it may take more time to beat the first couple levels of this game than it would to fall asleep through the entirety of MW2, but you'll really get something out of it. Go ahead and say it's "too hard," you're the only one missing out, because I love this game. Kudos to anyone who stuck with it.

BaldursBananaSoap:

Donttazemehbro:

Yes it does, I'm sick of these below 100 post tards who think anything Yahtzee says is true without even playing the damn game. Having an Xbox avatar doesn't do much for your credibility either

Yep it's hard and I LIKE IT. You have to learn your battle patterns and each enemy's weakness. Each death is a learning experience. Best game this gen imo instead of all that overrated crap that Infinity Ward keep churning out.

Sorry Yahtzee but you can't nitpick on a game that was designed to be difficult and unforgiving for being too difficult and unforgiving. Play further than the first dungeon and then create a new game. You'll wonder what you thought was so hard about those parts.

Oh yeah and dodging varies depending on your class, and is a roll to the side, NOT a step backwards. Man I can't believe people are putting what you say as fact when it's clearly riddled with uninformed crap and you didn't even complete fifty percent of the game. I know it's for comedy and it's your job to nitpick on stupid shit but man, people should stop taking it seriously.

And no save points? The game saves every time you gain experience, and after you get an item. Have you ever played Diablo, or any loot grabbing dungeon crawler? That's what happens there too. If you abort mid-mission, you have to start over, but keep everything you earned so far. And there are save points midlevel. Yet again, complaining because it's difficult.

This proves you played it for a few hours and it beat you and now you'd rather play those hand holding self-esteem raising games you "hate". That was the worst review from you I've ever seen. Your reviews usually have a point in with all that humour but this one was the worst representation of this game ever, full of contradictions and it was clear you didn't stick to your character style or level them.

Next time you call games these days too easy, make sure you don't call punishing and challenging games too hard.

LOL, defensive. All im saying is that i tried it and returned it. Im not criticizing your for liking it. Im just saying i didn't. Thats what Yahtzee does, nitpick and find every thing thats wrong and thats what makes him funny. Live with it, if u dont care then why are u letting this get to you. Oh and my avatar, i liked the picture better than the premade ones so i chose this. So what

I imported the game before it came out in like.. July and I lovedd the game. But your review was simply hilarious, loved it.

So what makes for good difficulty. What makes games too easy or too hard?

mGoLos:
You cant even pause it?!

Well screw that ...

Thanks man.

You can't pause most online games. You just have to find a safe spot. Nothing new comes to an area you've cleared out.

sanzo:
I'm too lazy to go back and look up the quote, but someone said anyone who buys/doesn't buy a game based on Yahtzee's review is a moron.

I'd like to extrapolate on that: Anyone who buys/doesn't buy a game based on any review is a moron. Try it for yourselves

That was me! Though I will say reviews are a useful tool to determine whether I should drop 60 bones on something. No review should be taken as law but if you don't do some research you're just being careless with your money.

ColdStorage:
Why does Yahtzee's voice sound different?

I really enjoyed this ZP, I can't put my finger on why though!

Better go watch it again.

Multi-Kill:

FallenJellyDoughnut:

Multi-Kill:

FallenJellyDoughnut:
Jesus christ does Yahtzee get up early! Its 3:00am in Australia!

But it's 12:07 PM on the east coast of America.

How is that valid? Yahtzee lives in Brisbane, Australia.

Most of his viewers are in America is why.

My good lord, are you the best troll in the world or something?.

What,it's not my fault your annie and cant take getting hit by:A SMOOTH CRIMINAL!

As's someone who gets a big, sweaty, half-chub every time someone mentions Demons'sss Souls. I have to say that i loved this review and only wish it were longer. Best review in awhile. (its always better when he reviews a game you like)

Also that "Supposed to die" battle... its not really. ya, you can win that...(with accompanied loot) I however have not...

axleblaze:

mGoLos:
You cant even pause it?!

Well screw that ...

Thanks man.

You can't pause most online games. You just have to find a safe spot. Nothing new comes to an area you've cleared out.

sanzo:

That was me! Though I will say reviews are a useful tool to determine whether I should drop 60 bones on something. No review should be taken as law but if you don't do some research you're just being careless with your money.

Yeah, I should've said "if you buy a game based solely on the review". I think reviews are good to get a basis on what the game is generally about; like how the combat or other mechanics work

Demon's Souls is an amazing game...I actually thought Yahtzee might like this one, oh well.

Ah yes, Demon's Souls. The game that can't be won without a strategy guide or so many retries that you lose any semblance of a social life.

Multi-Kill:

What,it's not my fault your annie and cant take getting hit by:A SMOOTH CRIMINAL!

I'd like to retract my previous statement with regards to you being a troll and state your just a bit rubbish.

In demons souls case, the combat is actually quite amazing. It requires skill. (ya rly)

Everything I hear about this game makes me want to play it more and more. I really do enjoy a good challenge so long as it's possable for me to win. Like the boss fights in Dragon age when the Leveling system works, those are fun.

You live next door to a goat, that must be fun, a lot of city folk never get to see farm animals.. lol

Did anyone else get the feeling like reading someone's first thoughts playing Super Kaizo World or I Wanna Be The Guy?

Some people just like their games to be brutally difficult.

i guess he never got the blue eye stones

hehe i found the game pretty easy ... guess im just better at it than yahtzee is :D
also i wonder what he would think of what happens when you beat the game , everything does pretty much 3 times more damage XD

Knight Templar:
Everything I hear about this game makes me want to play it more and more. I really do enjoy a good challenge so long as it's possable for me to win. Like the boss fights in Dragon age when the Leveling system works, those are fun.

This is perfect for you, then.

Fairness? Not an issue. Demon's Souls strikes a fine line between very, yet still bearably difficult, and unfair.
If you can withstand the long, painful, and ball-breakingly tough journey that proceeds it, the victory is all the more sweet... As cliche'd as that sounds.

I enjoyed this one. Lately the humour has gone a bit dry and boring but as theres something new and shiney i will stop complaining.
Also who the hell thinks its a good idea to make a game that hard?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . . . 23 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here