Review: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Review: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

It's cheaper than seeing a real therapist, but something tells me it's not as effective, either.

Read Full Article

let me use my psychic abilities to paraphrase Yahtzees up coming review on this game.

"would be decent but let down by the fact that it's on the Wii"

Eric the Orange:
let me use my psychic abilities to paraphrase Yahtzees up coming review on this game.

"would be decent but let down by the fact that it's on the Wii"

Let me rephrase that "Not what I liked about Silent Hill and it's on the Wii..."

Sounds to me like the therapist is from the Freudian school. Given the transitions in Silent Hill between the real world and a shadowy one, a Jungian therapist might be more helpful.

The nightmare scenes can be annoying, if you can't get a quick read of map during a chase. Of course, if they are right on your ass you hardly have time to look at the phone, but if you can get some distance or to a flare, you can get your barings and aim for the general direction you need. The important doorways are shown on the map, so if you can keep yourself moving in the direction of those doorways, you'll find your way to the checkpoint eventually.

Parts I dreaded were when the solution to the nightmare puzzles required you to go back into the Raw shock infected areas for objectives or clues. Sure you get your health back, but I just escaped those bastards. I don't want to give them a second shot at me.

The psych profiling is a great idea. I love the idea of a linear game morphing to the personality of the player. It can give a much more real and immersive feel to the story. It also makes it interesting to read the sort of differences other people had in the game. Where I had clockwork looking Raw shocks by the end of the game, some people had feminine Raw shocks chasing them.

I liked your review. Not a Silent Hill fan, but it was a good read.

So the ice and snow thing from the ads wasn't a gimic? Crap.
I lived for six years in the upper peninsula of Michigan, where winter lasts at least 5 months. Once you've lived through a few winters up there, you lose any dread of the cold.

I just started playing this a few days back it's not bad but the chase scenes are more confusing than scary...

I'm looking forward to Yahtzee's review of this game, but don't the Australians have to wait til February for their release? I hope he's the type to import.

If Silent Hill hadn't lost me roughly around half way through number 4 I might have bothered renting this one.
Good review though, interesting read.

So I know it's for the Wii, but does anybody have any idea when the PS2 version comes out? Because I know there is one, I just don't know the date for it.

Phoneing people? Text Messages!? GPS!?!?

...Ok, I like the GPS idea, but...Silent Hill is about, or at least, it used to be about, been alone, the dread of feeling of been in a town, and knowing that it is F***ing with your head.

I like the concept, and, I might rent it, just to say I have played it. I like the idea of the in game therapist, thats kinda neat. Otherwise...Silent Hill tradition...dodgy.

girl_in_background:
So I know it's for the Wii, but does anybody have any idea when the PS2 version comes out? Because I know there is one, I just don't know the date for it.

I believe it's slated for late January or early February. But if you're interested in the game, I'd suggest the Wii version.

DrDeath3191:

girl_in_background:

I believe it's slated for late January or early February. But if you're interested in the game, I'd suggest the Wii version.

I know, it's probably infinately better, but I don't own a Wii. And from what I've heard about Wii games, if I bought a Wii I would only have that one game to play on it. I am the type of person to do something like that, but I'll probably hold out for a PS3 or 360.

Jaredin:

...Ok, I like the GPS idea, but...Silent Hill is about, or at least, it used to be about, been alone, the dread of feeling of been in a town, and knowing that it is F***ing with your head.

I like the concept, and, I might rent it, just to say I have played it. I like the idea of the in game therapist, thats kinda neat. Otherwise...Silent Hill tradition...dodgy.

The first Silent Hill, which this game is recreating, has several additional characters that you interacted with. From what I saw during the capture, you are still very much alone during the Nightmare sections though.

girl_in_background:

DrDeath3191:

girl_in_background:

I know, it's probably infinately better, but I don't own a Wii. And from what I've heard about Wii games, if I bought a Wii I would only have that one game to play on it. I am the type of person to do something like that, but I'll probably hold out for a PS3 or 360.

Wii seems to be a common place for horror games. In addition to this, there's Cursed Mountain, which takes place in the Himalayan Mountains, Fatal Frame IV (if they ever bother to get it translated), the Calling and several others I'm sure I've forgotten. So if you're into that, you might want to reconsider your position.

Jaredin:

I believe you phone/text those few people you meet in the town.

I had a similar experience with the opening questions, except a girl that I'm trying to get with was watching me play, "Ever cheated on someone"

My reaction basically told her what the answer was

I guess games are more important to me than woman...AS THEY SHOULD BE lol

oh and let me just add that the only other SH game I played was 2, this game isn't nearly as good, but Shattered Memories is great and I think it's more worthy of a buy...for like $30 because let's be reasonable, if I didn't have a $30 gift card for Best Buy I wouldn't have been so quick to get it after being burned by so many other games on the Wii (Alone in the Dark I'd kill you if you were a person!)

bickster:

Jaredin:

I believe you phone/text those few people you meet in the town.

Silent Hill stopped being like that after 4. Now it is just a "very good horror series that appeals to wide demographic" (aka shit).

For some reason I keep playing them though.

This review should have a massive - Rent Only - banner scrolling over it. That's the vibe I got and considering it's Silent Hill and 2 is one of my top ten I think I may.

Fredrick2003:
Now it is just a "very good horror series that appeals to wide demographic" (aka shit).

How can something be "very good" and "shit"? Is it just because they tried to have an audience that's bigger than "just you"?

Damn them for deciding they want people to play their games.

Chipperz:

Fredrick2003:
Now it is just a "very good horror series that appeals to wide demographic" (aka shit).

How can something be "very good" and "shit"? Is it just because they tried to have an audience that's bigger than "just you"?

I am mad because they...

No you know what, I am mad at one thing. The fact that the makers of something ended it and then some other unrelated jackass decided to just pick it up and fuck everything up, even going so far as to make a prequel to fuck up the beginning too.

Fredrick2003:

Chipperz:

Fredrick2003:

I am mad because they...

No you know what, I am mad at one thing. The fact that the makers of something ended it and then some other unrelated jackass decided to just pick it up and fuck everything up, even going so far as to make a prequel to fuck up the beginning too.

Ah, cool. Fair enough, then!

This new team are idiots, they couldnt come up with any more crappy sequels so they rip off the original. Konami never should have sold it.

This sucks so much, interacting with other survivors, talk about killing the feeling of isolation and dread. IMBECILES.

Even if you manage to struggle through the Nightmare sections and get to the end, the ending is so retarded that it creates a plethora of plotholes and makes the whole game more or less meaningless. It doesn't help that this game has absolutely nothing to do with Silent Hill or its mythos, it just takes place in a normal town that happens to be called Silent Hill with characters that happen to share names with the characters of the first game. I feel like the only person who kinda hates this game.

Jonci:
I'm looking forward to Yahtzee's review of this game, but don't the Australians have to wait til February for their release? I hope he's the type to import.

he is and to that review, the nightmare sequences are probably fan based as if there wasn't any it basically wouldn't be a silent hill game.

MpSai:
Even if you manage to struggle through the Nightmare sections and get to the end, the ending is so retarded that it creates a plethora of plotholes and makes the whole game more or less meaningless.

how the hell does that create plot holes!? seriously give me one plot hole.

girl_in_background:

Just wanted to say, your avatar is cute. And, y'know, high-five, fellow APH fan.

Anyway, I really love Silent Hill. Well, I love 1-3 and though 5 was okay and hated 4. So I am predisposed to thinking this one will suck because SH1 does not need a retelling. And adding all these gimmicks is unnecessary. And I don't own a Wii and don't plan to buy one. But who knows, maybe it will surprise me. But I don't really think it will.

Apart from the latest Silent Hill game, the old DVD game (Dragon's Lair-like i.e. interactive movie) Tender Loving Care also tried to provide the player's psychological portrait via analyzing the decisions taken during the course of the game. Although it didn't actually simulate the very therapy session like this game.

historybuff:

girl_in_background:

Just wanted to say, your avatar is cute. And, y'know, high-five, fellow APH fan.

Anyway, I really love Silent Hill. Well, I love 1-3 and though 5 was okay and hated 4. So I am predisposed to thinking this one will suck because SH1 does not need a retelling. And adding all these gimmicks is unnecessary. And I don't own a Wii and don't plan to buy one. But who knows, maybe it will surprise me. But I don't really think it will.

Silent Hill 5 doesn't exist please try again.

Fredrick2003:

historybuff:

girl_in_background:

Uh...yes it does. Silent Hill 5 is Silent Hill: Homecoming

Does that mean Resident Evil 5 is Resident Evil 14?

Your logic sucks.

historybuff:

Fredrick2003:

historybuff:

girl_in_background:

Your logic sucks.

Fredrick2003:

historybuff:

Fredrick2003:

historybuff:

girl_in_background:

Your logic sucks.

...are you really throwing a tantrum about this?

Okay, I'll just get this out of the way. You can look up all the citations on Wikipedia if you're really going to be so weird about it. Silent Hill Homecoming is the sixth installment in the Silent Hill survival horror video game series, developed by Foundation 9 Entertainment and Double Helix Games.[6] The game was announced on July 11, 2007 by Konami at their E3 press conference, and was originally entitled Silent Hill V.

You see, because the fifth installment was called Silent Hill: Origins and was considered a prequel to the first Silent Hill.

I think this is a step in the right direction in general for gaming. It's a nice move and it's quite creative. Of course, I haven't played it, so I may be slightly (extremely) wrong.

I'd say I'd buy it if I had a Wii, but if I had a Wii it would be like one out of maybe two games worth buying, so of course I'd buy it.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here