Review: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

MpSai:
Even if you manage to struggle through the Nightmare sections and get to the end, the ending is so retarded that it creates a plethora of plotholes and makes the whole game more or less meaningless. It doesn't help that this game has absolutely nothing to do with Silent Hill or its mythos, it just takes place in a normal town that happens to be called Silent Hill with characters that happen to share names with the characters of the first game. I feel like the only person who kinda hates this game.

Wow. I actually appreciate this info. Thanks for talking about what really needs to be said.

Thanks man.

The Wii version of pretty much any non-exclusive can kiss my ass. Unresponsive motion controls and forgivably ugly graphics NEVER make for a fun experience.

I absolutely loved this game. I haven't been this blown away by a game in a long time. And despite what some might say, the ending made me bawl like a baby. Maybe I'm just a Silent Hill fangirl who gets a little too attached to her characters, but still. This game had emotional weight like I haven't seen in a long time.
And I'm very sorry, but I'm so tired of hearing people whine about the chase sequences. Did they get frustrating? Yeah, sure. Did I throw the controller down in frustration? Yup, I did that too. But I don't see how it's any different than fighting a difficult boss that you have to level up to or run through previous areas to stock up ammo for, or going up against an illogical puzzle or fetch quest where you practically have to read the developer's mind to beat it without a walkthrough. Games are fun, but can also be frustrating. For me, a running sequence where escape is based on your directional skills and ability to pick up visual cues from your environment is better than a boss battle any day. Heck, I would be the happiest girl in the world if I got another game with sequences like this.

I disagree that the Nightmare sequences were annoying. They gave me a feeling of "HOLY CRAP RUN RUN RUN", and once you figure out the right speed to yank the Wii Remote, you're totally fine.

RelexCryo:

MpSai:
Even if you manage to struggle through the Nightmare sections and get to the end, the ending is so retarded that it creates a plethora of plotholes and makes the whole game more or less meaningless. It doesn't help that this game has absolutely nothing to do with Silent Hill or its mythos, it just takes place in a normal town that happens to be called Silent Hill with characters that happen to share names with the characters of the first game. I feel like the only person who kinda hates this game.

Wow. I actually appreciate this info. Thanks for talking about what really needs to be said.

Thanks man.

I would not trust that review at all, honestly. The entire thing is complaining about everything, and the reviewer seemed to be going in expecting crap rather than anything else. If you can rent it and play it with an open mind, I completely recommend that.

EDIT: By the way, the game is a completely alternate universe from the original games, if that helps. It doesn't actually screw anything up, and in my opinion, the town has mystical powers just the same.

EDIT again: By the way... the graphics aren't terrible at all. Sure, they're not as good as if it'd been on, say, the 360 or PS3, but they aren't terrible by any means.

historybuff:

Fredrick2003:

historybuff:

Fredrick2003:

historybuff:

girl_in_background:
So I know it's for the Wii, but does anybody have any idea when the PS2 version comes out? Because I know there is one, I just don't know the date for it.

Just wanted to say, your avatar is cute. And, y'know, high-five, fellow APH fan.

Anyway, I really love Silent Hill. Well, I love 1-3 and though 5 was okay and hated 4. So I am predisposed to thinking this one will suck because SH1 does not need a retelling. And adding all these gimmicks is unnecessary. And I don't own a Wii and don't plan to buy one. But who knows, maybe it will surprise me. But I don't really think it will.

Silent Hill 5 doesn't exist please try again.

Uh...yes it does. Silent Hill 5 is Silent Hill: Homecoming

Does that mean Resident Evil 5 is Resident Evil 14?

Your logic sucks.

...are you really throwing a tantrum about this?

Okay, I'll just get this out of the way. You can look up all the citations on Wikipedia if you're really going to be so weird about it. Silent Hill Homecoming is the sixth installment in the Silent Hill survival horror video game series, developed by Foundation 9 Entertainment and Double Helix Games.[6] The game was announced on July 11, 2007 by Konami at their E3 press conference, and was originally entitled Silent Hill V.

You see, because the fifth installment was called Silent Hill: Origins and was considered a prequel to the first Silent Hill.

It was originally titled Silent Hill V.

And then they changed it, so it was not released under that name.

A game titled Silent Hill V/Silent Hill 5 does not exist at this moment.

wow that game actually sounds really annoying.
i might end up renting it though since i should play more horror games.

I played and beat it.
I found this one to be a hell of a lot less frustrating then the old ones. Sure the chase parts are kinda annoying but its much better then being stuck on a puzzle in one of the old games walking in circles for a hour before looking it up.

Heh, this game got glowing recommendations over at Destructoid, shocking some of their user base. At least now no one can give this a low score with the complaint that "combat was clunky", and when they changed it, it still scored low because "combat was too easy, removing the element of desperation".

MpSai:
Even if you manage to struggle through the Nightmare sections and get to the end, the ending is so retarded that it creates a plethora of plotholes and makes the whole game more or less meaningless.

It has five different endings and supposedly it's hard for one individual to reach different ones due to the whole psyche deal (which tracks more than just your answers to the questionnaires).

So, this is a good game for newcomers, since its a remake?

Good review Jordan Dream. This is the first of these on Escapist that I have read and although reading reviews by people whose subjectivity I have no point of reference to is not my thing, I found myself believing you because you seemed unprejudiced by first impressions and dare I say it sincere and honest.

Yeah I know that makes me come across as some kind of Jordan-Dream-fan-club-bender, but I think that good writing is an art that precious few reviewers have these days and if some thing is done well, it is worth complimenting.

Keep it up and I will definitely be taking the time to look for more of your reviews.

I'm really looking forward to this on PSP/PS2 since i have no WII. I'm currently playing through Origins and i think it works really well on the PSP, this one might not translate too well though, since it seems to rely so heavily on the WII's unique control system... We shall see!

yersimapestis:

MpSai:
Even if you manage to struggle through the Nightmare sections and get to the end, the ending is so retarded that it creates a plethora of plotholes and makes the whole game more or less meaningless.

how the hell does that create plot holes!? seriously give me one plot hole.

I don't want to elaborate due to spoilers but let me just say: iPhones did not exist 18 years ago.

KDR_11k:

MpSai:

It has five different endings and supposedly it's hard for one individual to reach different ones due to the whole psyche deal (which tracks more than just your answers to the questionnaires).

The base ending plot-twist is still the same even with the different variations that come after it.

So wait, in all of the comments I've seen there was only one that mentioned combat;

Syntax Error:
Heh, this game got glowing recommendations over at Destructoid, shocking some of their user base. At least now no one can give this a low score with the complaint that "combat was clunky", and when they changed it, it still scored low because "combat was too easy, removing the element of desperation".

But I want to clarify because no one commented on it yet and I've only heard Jordan say in the review, "Without weapons of any kind you're pretty much defenseless.", does that mean there are no weapons in this game save for the defensive items and environmental interactions that slow the nightmare citizens of Silent Hill?

MpSai:

yersimapestis:

MpSai:

I don't want to elaborate due to spoilers but let me just say: iPhones did not exist 18 years ago.

i dont believe they ever said a specific year, besides why does that matter? thats not a plot hole

...if this is your first Silent Hill game, as it was for me...

I thought reviews on this site were supposed to have credibility?

Worse, you can't hold a flare and your phone at the same time.

Hmmm... sprinting while holding a flare in one hand and attempting to read a map on a mobile phone in the other hand. I don't see anything implausible about that.

Cosplay Horatio:
So wait, in all of the comments I've seen there was only one that mentioned combat;

Syntax Error:

But I want to clarify because no one commented on it yet and I've only heard Jordan say in the review, "Without weapons of any kind you're pretty much defenseless.", does that mean there are no weapons in this game save for the defensive items and environmental interactions that slow the nightmare citizens of Silent Hill?

Shattered Memories was a reimagining of the first game. It also didn't feature combat right from the first preview I've seen of it. Like I said, from 1-4, reviews complained about clunky combat. Then when Homecoming rolled in, complaints became "combat was too easy" (on top of being it "not Silent Hill"). I'm beginning to think this game is a way to address those complaints.

Syntax Error:

Cosplay Horatio:

Syntax Error:

Shattered Memories was a reimagining of the first game. It also didn't feature combat right from the first preview I've seen of it. Like I said, from 1-4, reviews complained about clunky combat. Then when Homecoming rolled in, complaints became "combat was too easy" (on top of being it "not Silent Hill"). I'm beginning to think this game is a way to address those complaints.

I understand now. Thanks very much Syntax.

yersimapestis:

MpSai:

yersimapestis:

MpSai:

i dont believe they ever said a specific year, besides why does that matter? thats not a plot hole

The school record says she was born in 1984, its set in the present time. The ending makes him having the phone make no sense in the context of the plot. It can't be an old memory, and who would think up such a detail in their delusions? And that isn't really the only problem but again I don't want to be spoiler McGee here.

MpSai:

yersimapestis:

MpSai:

yersimapestis:

MpSai:

The school record says she was born in 1984, its set in the present time. The ending makes him having the phone make no sense in the context of the plot. It can't be an old memory, and who would think up such a detail in their delusions? And that isn't really the only problem but again I don't want to be spoiler McGee here.

then just pm me

Honestly I thought Silent Hill Shattered Memories was a great game with a great story and a huge twist at the end. I can't wait to see Yahtzee's review of it though because I am sure he will hate it :D

Chipperz:

Fredrick2003:
Now it is just a "very good horror series that appeals to wide demographic" (aka shit).

How can something be "very good" and "shit"? Is it just because they tried to have an audience that's bigger than "just you"?

Damn them for deciding they want people to play their games.

it can if the audience is so wide that it dilutes the game quality to utter retardation. it can be good to attract a wide range of people but at the end of the day they will only see a turd. more people= shitty game, less people= better game.

Fredrick2003:

historybuff:

Fredrick2003:

historybuff:

Fredrick2003:

historybuff:

girl_in_background:
So I know it's for the Wii, but does anybody have any idea when the PS2 version comes out? Because I know there is one, I just don't know the date for it.

Just wanted to say, your avatar is cute. And, y'know, high-five, fellow APH fan.

Anyway, I really love Silent Hill. Well, I love 1-3 and though 5 was okay and hated 4. So I am predisposed to thinking this one will suck because SH1 does not need a retelling. And adding all these gimmicks is unnecessary. And I don't own a Wii and don't plan to buy one. But who knows, maybe it will surprise me. But I don't really think it will.

Your logic sucks.

Okay, I'll just get this out of the way. You can look up all the citations on Wikipedia if you're really going to be so weird about it. Silent Hill Homecoming is the sixth installment in the Silent Hill survival horror video game series, developed by Foundation 9 Entertainment and Double Helix Games.[6] The game was announced on July 11, 2007 by Konami at their E3 press conference, and was originally entitled Silent Hill V.

You see, because the fifth installment was called Silent Hill: Origins and was considered a prequel to the first Silent Hill.

wow dude, just.... wow...

ezeroast:

Fredrick2003:

historybuff:

Fredrick2003:

historybuff:

Fredrick2003:

historybuff:

girl_in_background:

Your logic sucks.

wow dude, just.... wow...

What? Wow what? You don't go around calling shit what it was originally titled in the planning phase and/or its development name. You call it what it was released as. This goes for movies/books/games/anything. You can't expect people to do research and look up the original titles for shit everytime you elect to be an asshole and call it that.

ostro-whiskey:
This new team are idiots, they couldnt come up with any more crappy sequels so they rip off the original. Konami never should have sold it.

This sucks so much, interacting with other survivors, talk about killing the feeling of isolation and dread. IMBECILES.

this was actually not developed by the same team that made Origins and Homecoming.

I am actually enjoying the game myself. Obvioulsy nothing can top Silent Hill 2 and as a member the series I'm sure people are going to hate it and throw it in the same group as Homecoming and Origins, but as a stand alone game it is a very interesting idea well executed and to be honest the nightmare scenes are actually the first in a long time that I have actually felt scared playing a videogame.

harhol:

...if this is your first Silent Hill game, as it was for me...

I thought reviews on this site were supposed to have credibility?

Worse, you can't hold a flare and your phone at the same time.

Hmmm... sprinting while holding a flare in one hand and attempting to read a map on a mobile phone in the other hand. I don't see anything implausible about that.

You are so right. People are picking this game to death for the stupidest reasons.

Great review. I'm really looking forward to this and I pretty much guessed that the running away bits would get really annoying.

I wish we had been friends during High School. Surely at least one of the numerous women you were casting aside would have settled for me.

I really felt as if the game was dull as hell. Because it really felt like all portions of the game were sloppy. I guess I can say that the best thing about the game was the story, but I play games for much more than the story.

The exploration part was sloppy because there really was very little to interact with. You are pretty much just led along and walk a shitload for the sake of walking to get to the next puzzle or chase sequence. There is very little that you can interact with. For example, you go into a biology lab, and most of the stuff in there, Harry doesn't say a single word about. There is also something weird going on with the shadows, like they dont act like real shadows. If you look really closely instead of the shadow being cast on the walls, they look like 3d models placed to make it look like they are real shadows, but that is really just a nitpick. But these sections bored me to tears. There is no danger, hardly anything to interact with, and just a whole lot of trying to scope out rooms with a flashlight.

The chases genuinely interested me, and the first and second ones really went well for me and they were frantic and tense and kind of fun. But by the 3rd one, I started getting fed up because they were really trial and error affairs. If you dont find the exit fast enough, you are bound to get caught and killed. Thankfully you restart pretty close. The controls exacerbate problems since you are required to use the remote and nunchuk to fling them off of you, but doing that messes up your sensor bar position, which gimps your movement. Overall, I liked these portions better, but they definitely have a few issues.

By the time I got to the end, I couldn't wait for the "game" to be over. There really wasn't much meat to it for me. I guess most of the game is supposed to be found through the voicemails and text messages, which kind of make sense after you see the ending. But that just feels like me reading a script instead of experiencing it. Also, the re imagining kind of irks me. I guess I dont know the true meaning of re imagining since the game's only similarities with the original lie with the characters. Their roles and motivations are all different to the point where they might as well have been a completely new cast of characters. The game really encourages subsequent playthroughs, but I finished the game a few days ago, and I really have ZERO desire to play through again, based off of how empty I know the game is. Fool me once...

Eric the Orange:
let me use my psychic abilities to paraphrase Yahtzees up coming review on this game.

"would be decent but let down by the fact that it's on the Wii"

If I were to make a prediction on what Yahtzee will think about this game, it will be the same thing as homecoming: take it out of the Silent Hill franchise, give the characters new names, put them in a different town, it's a good game. But because you tried to stuff it in the silent hill series, it's not true silent hill, and it's not a good game.

That's the way I feel about it. I would go into more detail on why I don't like it, but it really comes down to that I don't like the plot twists and I don't like the end, which explaining it might spoil the game experience for you.

You know what? People need to take there lips off of the original series' cock for a minute and evaluate these games at face value.

Personally, I love the first three games in the "Silent Hill" franchise. To be honest, I thought 2 was the weakest of the original trilogy due to the fact that it didn't seem to understand that, for a franchise to work, there has to be a continuity of some kind, thus three quickly reminded me of all t he reasons I liked the original. It's a great, if not effective, horror-survival series and I may be the only one here who can seem to evaluate the new games without an air of "new-dev" spite.

"Silent Hill: 0rigins" was a good game. A damned good game that actually seemed to remember that the franchise's continuity should have some kind of baring on how the stories should work. Yes, it created a new plothole (that, oh, by the way, WAS COMPLETELY FUCKING IRRELEVANT), but it remembered why the town was the way it was and decided that THAT SHOULD ACTUALLY MATTER WHEN WRITING THE STORY. "Silent Hill 5" (Yeah, that's write, 5, bitch some more) was in the same boat, though, overall, was a fairly pointless game that, much like 4, before it, really didn't add anything to the plot or change anything in any way significant... except for the obvious fact that it was set in/near Silent Hill itself and had some actual bearing on the shit going on within the game.

This entry WOULD have suffered from the "nothing to do with the franchise" club IF it was set in the same franchise continuity. It was just a reimagining of the original story with a new Silent Hill and a new Harry Mason. I liked it. Didn't love it, but it was good enough to work as a stand-alone experience and was a damned enjoyable play through. The enviorment was gorgeous (I enjoyed the ice to the traditional bloody-rust Otherworld) the monsters were interestingly original and the lack of combat in exchange for the nightmares made for a new kind of experience, much more interesting in the sceme of things.

As good as the original trilogy? I think so. Just not in the same way. Seriously guys? The original series is over, this is a new one. Start trying to remeber that before you announce how inferior this is: It's different.
Remember that... or don't... I don't care. Fuck you.

DrDeath3191:

girl_in_background:

DrDeath3191:

girl_in_background:

I believe it's slated for late January or early February. But if you're interested in the game, I'd suggest the Wii version.

I know, it's probably infinately better, but I don't own a Wii. And from what I've heard about Wii games, if I bought a Wii I would only have that one game to play on it. I am the type of person to do something like that, but I'll probably hold out for a PS3 or 360.

Wii seems to be a common place for horror games. In addition to this, there's Cursed Mountain, which takes place in the Himalayan Mountains, Fatal Frame IV (if they ever bother to get it translated), the Calling and several others I'm sure I've forgotten. So if you're into that, you might want to reconsider your position.

Ooh, thanks! I never knew there were so may horror games for the Wii, mostly because my friend doesnt have many. Now I want one...

GDW:
You know what? People need to take there lips off of the original series' cock for a minute and evaluate these games at face value.

Personally, I love the first three games in the "Silent Hill" franchise. To be honest, I thought 2 was the weakest of the original trilogy due to the fact that it didn't seem to understand that, for a franchise to work, there has to be a continuity of some kind, thus three quickly reminded me of all t he reasons I liked the original. It's a great, if not effective, horror-survival series and I may be the only one here who can seem to evaluate the new games without an air of "new-dev" spite.

"Silent Hill: 0rigins" was a good game. A damned good game that actually seemed to remember that the franchise's continuity should have some kind of baring on how the stories should work. Yes, it created a new plothole (that, oh, by the way, WAS COMPLETELY FUCKING IRRELEVANT), but it remembered why the town was the way it was and decided that THAT SHOULD ACTUALLY MATTER WHEN WRITING THE STORY. "Silent Hill 5" (Yeah, that's write, 5, bitch some more) was in the same boat, though, overall, was a fairly pointless game that, much like 4, before it, really didn't add anything to the plot or change anything in any way significant... except for the obvious fact that it was set in/near Silent Hill itself and had some actual bearing on the shit going on within the game.

This entry WOULD have suffered from the "nothing to do with the franchise" club IF it was set in the same franchise continuity. It was just a reimagining of the original story with a new Silent Hill and a new Harry Mason. I liked it. Didn't love it, but it was good enough to work as a stand-alone experience and was a damned enjoyable play through. The enviorment was gorgeous (I enjoyed the ice to the traditional bloody-rust Otherworld) the monsters were interestingly original and the lack of combat in exchange for the nightmares made for a new kind of experience, much more interesting in the sceme of things.

As good as the original trilogy? I think so. Just not in the same way. Seriously guys? The original series is over, this is a new one. Start trying to remeber that before you announce how inferior this is: It's different.
Remember that... or don't... I don't care. Fuck you.

I only have a problem when people attempt to fit this game into the original trilogy because they are completely separate. They are all good games in their own right but Silent Hill Shattered Memories is not a sequel to Silent Hill 3.

Fredrick2003:

I only have a problem when people attempt to fit this game into the original trilogy because they are completely separate. They are all good games in their own right but Silent Hill Shattered Memories is not a sequel to Silent Hill 3.

Oh. Okay, that I can agree with. I don't even see how or why someone would do that, it's just silly. Hell, especially the (pretty badass) ending, how can anyone try to link them? I mean, didn't t hey beat "SH3"?

GDW:

Fredrick2003:

Oh. Okay, that I can agree with. I don't even see how or why someone would do that, it's just silly. Hell, especially the (pretty badass) ending, how can anyone try to link them? I mean, didn't t hey beat "SH3"?

They seem to often think that it's an offshoot of Silent Hill's bad ending in which Harry dies and the entire game is a delusion. There are problems with that theory, however.

Though, I would like to say, a franchise can work without continuity: see Final Fantasy. Silent Hill's continuity has psychological horror and the town of Silent Hill affecting things.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here