Escape to the Movies: Avatar

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

First person with the strength to pull me out will be crowned the king of England. (j/k)

OT; Bob you may have swayed my thoughts on this just enough to give this film a chance.

twistedmic:
So, according to moviebob, we should ignore the poor story telling and archetypal characters (which are somehow able to be 'well developed') just because it has really cool graphics?
I may be wrong, and correct me if I am, don't people usual complain if a movie focuses more on visuals than story? Isn't that one of the reasons (other than his supposed 'oral praise' of the U.S. armed forces)that some many on the Escapist ,Moviebob included, despise Micheal Bay to the point of wishing the man dead?

"Avatar" is more of a watershed type of movie. Think of "the Jazz Singer" that introduced sound, "Star Wars" that introduced computer controlled cameras or "Matrix" that introduced bullet time and finally "Toy Story" for CGI movies. "Avatar" introduces truly immersive 3D and future directors will take it and run with it to make a "Citizen Kane" or "Empire Strikes Back" level films since now they are free of the burden of creating the technology and can just use it as they see fit.

We need a simple movie that has a very broad appeal to ensure the success not only of the film but of the style or technique used. I personally loved it (and no I will not do a Na'Vi) and want to see it again to see what I missed.

yeaaa.. still not going to the theatres for it.

All these details I don't know about got me rather confused, but I was going to see the film anyway so I definitely will now.

Well, I kinda expected the movie to turn out like Bob said.
What I consider the new debate sparked by this movie is how the d-bag crowd (you know the ones) will lust over the CGI girl and still call furries "fags."
In fact, that's what really creeps me out over this movie: Cameron himself came out and said he wanted males to be lusting over his CGI girl-thing, which someone makes the whole thing seem really skeezy.

Kimarous:
I'm sorry, but no... just... no. There is no way I'm going to see this movie, or at the very least, pay to see it. As another poster aptly put it, it's friggin' "Gears of War" in it's execution: absolutely stunning in it's execution, but strip away the pretty graphics and you get a bland piece of dry toast. Anyone who claims this is a "good" movie is nothing more than a graphics whore in my eyes. Oh, and the whole "weaker story helps prevent distraction from the visuals"... look no further than "Lord of the Rings" to see how absolutely warped that logic is.

Film is a visual medium and the whole point of this film is to usher in a new technology the same way "The Jazz Singer" did with sound and "Toy Story" did with CGI. Every now and then Hollywood needs to reveal a new innovation to get people back in the theaters like Technicolor, CinemaScope and THX. If the film does well we will get a bunch of mediocre copycat films but as the cost goes down you'll see some true innovation and maybe a "Citizen Kane" will emerge.

As for the story of course it's the same hero of a thousand faces rehash we have seen a hundreds times before but we watch it because we like to see it told in new-ish ways. Not every movie has to be the best ever to be worth the ticket.

Why did I have to wait over a minute for the actual review to start?

Rigs83:

twistedmic:
So, according to moviebob, we should ignore the poor story telling and archetypal characters (which are somehow able to be 'well developed') just because it has really cool graphics?
I may be wrong, and correct me if I am, don't people usual complain if a movie focuses more on visuals than story? Isn't that one of the reasons (other than his supposed 'oral praise' of the U.S. armed forces)that some many on the Escapist ,Moviebob included, despise Micheal Bay to the point of wishing the man dead?

"Avatar" is more of a watershed type of movie. Think of "the Jazz Singer" that introduced sound, "Star Wars" that introduced computer controlled cameras or "Matrix" that introduced bullet time and finally "Toy Story" for CGI movies. "Avatar" introduces truly immersive 3D and future directors will take it and run with it to make a "Citizen Kane" or "Empire Strikes Back" level films since now they are free of the burden of creating the technology and can just use it as they see fit.

We need a simple movie that has a very broad appeal to ensure the success not only of the film but of the style or technique used. I personally loved it (and no I will not do a Na'Vi) and want to see it again to see what I missed.

While I haven't seen the 'Jazz Singer' I have seen both 'Star Wars' and 'The Matrix', the original 'Star Wars' trilogy had a decent story and memorable fleshed out characters and focused on story rather than special effects. The Matrix had an original story, if not truly well defined characters, and again focused more on the story than the effects. True, 'Star Wars' and 'Matrix' and their visual effects moments and did pioneer certain technologies, but that wasn't the entire reason that they were made and that's why, I think, they are such memorable movies.
Avatar, on the other hand, seems like it's merely a chance for Cameron to show off all of his pretty and expensive toys (much like Lucas with the prequel Star Wars trilogy).

So...Bob...

How does it compare to District 9?

Do her? Hell no! That nose is weird!

Overall good review. I especially appreciated the intro discussing the Dances with Wolves comments that have been popping up absolutely everywhere.

I still can't get past how bad the trailers look, but that the critics like the movie. That there isn't some big twist or interesting plot point beyond the trailer, but the core generic story doesn't even have a strong charismatic actor to attach to. I can't imagine liking the movie because of that,...but I can't help but think I'll like it if I go to it.

You win, again, critic. I'll go to the movie because you told me to; i'm too curious not to.

I really liked this movie, and agree with Bob on one very important point.

People who say it's plot is the blue equivalent of "Dances with Wolves" while in the theater with me in front of them trying to watch the movie are giant, giant douchebags.

I'm planning to see this movie on Tuesday, so now I just want to see it more!

Looks freaking epic!

Rigs83:

malestrithe:
Wow, this is the first time I heard of the Dances with Smurfs thing. Because I am dirt poor this holiday season, I'll probably not going to see this in theatres. But in 3 months, I'll definitely pick it up.

It's one of those movies that will sucks at home unless you have an insane home theater and will still suck because the 3d TVs sets are still mostly in the prototype phase.

1. Yes,
2. My ps3 is supposed to go digital in the next few months.

DND Judgement:
screw that, it IS a masterpiece... the moment i stepped out of the cinema the first time i knew i wanted to see it again immediately... never before have a i felt like that with a film... i mean sure i've wanted to go see movies again in the past but i'm talking after a few days of contemplation but this i just had to see again right away... and so i've now seen it 3 times... i'm not sure if i should be ashamed of myself...

I've seen people on IMDb talk about this. It almost seems like symptoms.

"Who misses Pandora? I'm not sure if it's the hyper-realism or the 3D. I gotta go back there..."

This, only by loads of people.

And the movie really deserves it. Along with Children of Man and District 9, it's the best sci-fi morality play of the decade, possibly the best since Metropolis, and definitely the most beautiful of all times.

Both of those movies may have a better story and/or characters but both had sequels (for good or bad) because audiences wanted to see the special effects again. If the fx in both films were not impressive we would have never have heard of a guy named George Lucas or of bullet time.

It would be great if Cameron could have matched the amazing fx with an equally amazing script but "The Dark Knight" can only happen so many times.

malestrithe:

Rigs83:

malestrithe:
Wow, this is the first time I heard of the Dances with Smurfs thing. Because I am dirt poor this holiday season, I'll probably not going to see this in theatres. But in 3 months, I'll definitely pick it up.

It's one of those movies that will sucks at home unless you have an insane home theater and will still suck because the 3d TVs sets are still mostly in the prototype phase.

1. Yes,
2. My ps3 is supposed to go digital in the next few months.

So you have an insane home theater set up? You are going to see Avatar? You have a 3D TV?

Wow. Apparently, I managed to completely miss all the good-press/bad-press build-up for this film. As a result, I went to see it with almost no preconceptions. In fact, I primarily went to see it because I live in Germany and it's almost the first time for ages that my local cinema's shown any decent OV English-language films and I wanted to encourage them to show more! (I still haven't seen "Up", it just didn't seem to come out in English round here. Grizzle.)

Anyway, I enjoyed it, for the most part. It was a gorgeous, gorgeous film (yes, I am a bit of a graphics whore, and I'm cool with that!) with likeable characters in a very integrated, complete-seeming world. I saw it in 3D but I'd actually be interested to see it in 2D - maybe there was something duff with the cinema's 3D projection system, but towards the end I was feeling headachy and nauseous (something I didn't notice in the one other 3D film I've seen), which really detracted from the experience for me. If I hadn't felt that way, I don't think I would have noticed the length of the film.

Well, Bob, you sold a ticket. I was sort of on the fence here- balance great sci-fi like "District 9" with absolutely terrible sci-fi like "Battlefield: Earth" and you get one hopeful yet cynical sci-fi lover- but I'll take your word with this one, since I largely agreed with you on D9 and "9".

I give it a week, AT MOST, before there's some lesbian art featuring Blue Girl there with Krystal from Starfox Adventures. A week. Mark my words.

Amazon warrior:
Wow. Apparently, I managed to completely miss all the good-press/bad-press build-up for this film. As a result, I went to see it with almost no preconceptions. In fact, I primarily went to see it because I live in Germany and it's almost the first time for ages that my local cinema's shown any decent OV English-language films and I wanted to encourage them to show more! (I still haven't seen "Up", it just didn't seem to come out in English round here. Grizzle.)

Anyway, I enjoyed it, for the most part. It was a gorgeous, gorgeous film (yes, I am a bit of a graphics whore, and I'm cool with that!) with likeable characters in a very integrated, complete-seeming world. I saw it in 3D but I'd actually be interested to see it in 2D - maybe there was something duff with the cinema's 3D projection system, but towards the end I was feeling headachy and nauseous (something I didn't notice in the one other 3D film I've seen), which really detracted from the experience for me. If I hadn't felt that way, I don't think I would have noticed the length of the film.

Yeah, it's been said that the extensive CGI, the better-than-reality graphics and the 3D made people feel nauseous.

At least, for once, it isn't because of the fucking shaky-cam! Avatar has really great, long shots that let you savor the visuals.

The Rogue Wolf:
Well, Bob, you sold a ticket. I was sort of on the fence here- balance great sci-fi like "District 9" with absolutely terrible sci-fi like "Battlefield: Earth" and you get one hopeful yet cynical sci-fi lover- but I'll take your word with this one, since I largely agreed with you on D9 and "9".

I give it a week, AT MOST, before there's some lesbian art featuring Blue Girl there with Krystal from Starfox Adventures. A week. Mark my words.

God just reading that last line of text makes me feel unclean.Ewwwwwwwwwwwww!

Try to see it in Imax. It's insane.

Well, Ill probably eventually see it, but after 9, I'm kind of burned out on predictable drivel stories.

Also regarding the stupid-ass question: No, I would PURGE the Xenos whore, as the invincible armies of the immortal god-emperor crushed their pathetic planet under their jack-booted heels.

Fook'n Xenos.

D9 was better story, better acting, and better aliens, for 30 Million. Plus, they had WAYNE Fook'n BARLOWE working on this, but after they got his first draft of ideas, asked him to "tone it down" a bit because his designs looked "too alien."

Yes, they thought that Wayne Barlowe's Aliens looked too alien.

Here's the thing about this movie...it's pretty good/awesome/rather subtle introspective on the human condition. Visuals top notch, acting solid, characters are diverse enough not to be bland and a couple are interesting enough to sink into.

Now don't get me wrong there are a couple things to criticize, one of which being my own distaste more military personnel being portrayed as psycho fuck-tard's, but here such a display is actually appropriate given that the personnel portrayed ARE supposed to be the retards among the ranks strung out, paranoid and light-years from home. Theses are not first rank professional soldiers, they're the cheap low end bargain deal dime a dozen guy's. The only respectable soldier's on screen being our hero and the antagonist Colonel, and the only reason the Colonel is as psycho as he is derives from his own paranoia and years (at least 12) spent off world in a world where the ROE went right out the window.

Another complaint being there needed to be more movie, the universe of Avatar deserves much more exploration and time then put on screen and the game released failed to deliver any depth what so ever. Character development could use a couple kicks beyond don't do bad things because they're bad. There much more room to explore human nature and the psychological effects of splitting the human mind into two living beings but the film barely touches on these thoughts. Probably because such an introspective would cause most peoples head to explode, that and they need a return of investment for this picture given that your general movie goer just wants to unwind after the days work and be entertained not mentally challenged. Moreover I personally would have liked to see more of the world Pandora then the jungle and the four or five seconds of plains and sea regions portrayed, explore the diversity of culture between each tribe of native personnel etc.

Also I wasn't joking when I said this film does give a stab on the human condition. Granted these may just be my own thoughts but It's what I saw. It simply has to do with perception, now in the Avatar universe the navi have the ability to mentally and emotionally patch into the environment itself. Now don't dismiss this as "oh they can talk to trees and shit". This means that the planet they live on is in some sense alive and self aware not only that but is actively communicating with them with regularity to the point of an understanding of a maternal relationship, this isn't just home for them this is mother to them. In this universe human beings lack this ability and as such cannot even fathom the perception of a living world, meaning that to them this is just another rock drifting through space one of which has a rather valuable resource to mine and sell, they not evil they just see opportunity and are pursuing their goal with the knowledge and as such point of perspective available to them.

Now tack this little piece of information and dissect it, what it breaks down to is lacking any means to understand a living environment they are unaware of any damage done and as such will have little motivation to restrain themselves as well as with no understanding of a living world would be prone to dismiss such a thought as non-sense. Take that thought and apply it to a real world context, human beings will dig and extrapolate every available resource of value and with out the ability to perceive the natural living world will not only have no motivation to slow or stop but would easily dismiss such a thought. You know the exact train of though explored in the film...then again this could all be my own delusional mind fabricating non-sensible gibberish.

All said in down, go see the movie, it's well made and got a wicked firefight in the end. There's a lot to take away from this movie.

My real issue is that it took the title away for another movie that I was anticipating: The live action version of "Avatar: The Last Airbender." Hell, they even stole the font the cartoon had used for the title.

I'll wait to see it on video. Not because of the 'plot' or anything. It just didn't appear to be anything beyond a few nice special effects. I mean look at Star Wars Episode 1, they had a somewhat original plot and high end special effects and it still turned me off after the trailer.

You got me to see "Up" and now we're onto James Cameron's work eh? Okay, I'll bite. Thanks for the insight, Bob.

Two things though:

1. DeviantArt? Try the Chans and Rule #34-centric websites. They're the real culprits as far as pr0n goes.

2. The 'net lurking artists (and forum whiners) will do as they please so don't waste your breath asking them to do anything. Just keep being the informative movie geek you are and we'll keep watching.

Ciao.

For me this movie is still a gimmicky "see what we did here with all our fancy technology" film.
And that is not at all helped by the fact that the better half of the hype on this film is the fact that it's JAMES CAMERON.

Seriously, I bet just about every person who wanted/went to go see Avatar was influenced in some way, shape, or form, by the IT'S F***ING JAMES CAMERON part.

Admit it to yourselves.

I'm gonna wait for DVD on this one guys.

Has he started, or the Escapist, cencoring the swearing :S Hope not...

90% of deviantart is going to be poorly drawn soft core Navi erotica for many many months. As for the hardcore stuff, I'm sure rule34 is already full of it.

I'm glad to hear that the movie isn't as I expected it to be, going to see it tomorrow night.

Compared to District 9 there is defiantly higher production values (not really surprising considering) but 9 is the more believable and subtable story wise.

yeah, saw the midnight showing and idk how "hot" she is, but shes a total badass so I can see how it can be debated.

The thing that i'm not sure can be debated is could you actually do her...because i think they may mate in another way (which you'll know what I'm talking about if you've seen it but I don't wanna leave any spoilers, no matter how small). So in my opinion whether you would tap it or not, there's no way to do it anyway.

And I thought it was a pretty good film also.

I just saw it an hour ago, and it really was a very good film. Well worth the money spent.

Rigs83:

So you have an insane home theater set up? You are going to see Avatar? You have a 3D TV?

No 3d tv yet. I am hoping soon. Going to get Avatar as soon as it comes out on DVD.

I want to see this movie, didn't it come out today?

Saw it last night and MB pretty much nailed it, like usual. It is a cliche fantasy/action film, and is now tied for my favorite movie ever with Big Fish. This movie WILL give you $12 worth of entertainment even if you don't "like" it. It is a lengthy film.

It has Sigourney Weaver in it.

Just sit back and let the exciting and beautiful world of Pandora consume you.

Rigs83:

malestrithe:

This probably goes to the core of why I dislike this movie when I haven't even seen it.

If a movie is good than a movie is good. Home theatres and 3-D tech doesn't enter into it. Sure, it's better to see it on the big screen, but if watching it on the small screen makes it suck then there's something not right.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here