Escape to the Movies: Avatar

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

I hate how people say "o its just like dances with wolves" we already know that, even james cameron knew that. He didnt say his story was original. If he did, then it would be. But what he did was one of the best adaptations of that theme anyone has done in a long time.

And imburke not to call you out or anything but,

How could you not think the Special Effects were not amazing. Name one movie that had character models that were that good.

DND Judgement:
screw that, it IS a masterpiece... the moment i stepped out of the cinema the first time i knew i wanted to see it again immediately... never before have a i felt like that with a film... i mean sure i've wanted to go see movies again in the past but i'm talking after a few days of contemplation but this i just had to see again right away... and so i've now seen it 3 times... i'm not sure if i should be ashamed of myself...

Don't be, I know exactly what you mean. I've seen it twice, and I'm getting it on bluray. This film is just epic, like the Lord Of The Rings trilogy. The scope and execution is just indescribable. For all the people concerned with plot, it is not as bad as it looks.

JaymesFogarty:

DND Judgement:
screw that, it IS a masterpiece... the moment i stepped out of the cinema the first time i knew i wanted to see it again immediately... never before have a i felt like that with a film... i mean sure i've wanted to go see movies again in the past but i'm talking after a few days of contemplation but this i just had to see again right away... and so i've now seen it 3 times... i'm not sure if i should be ashamed of myself...

Don't be, I know exactly what you mean. I've seen it twice, and I'm getting it on bluray. This film is just epic, like the Lord Of The Rings trilogy. The scope and execution is just indescribable. For all the people concerned with plot, it is not as bad as it looks.

i'm buying a PS3 so i can watch it on blu ray... i can tell it'll be disappointing on normal DVD...

Public Service Announcement
This movie is awesome and if get the chance the watch it in 3-D do it

WELL
This is now my favorite movie of all time, I saw it at the Imax in 3D (which is the only way anyone should see it) it was amazing. The foliage in the movie was so well done, it made me believe (subconciously) that it existed almost. I pray james cameron can make a sequal that can match the quality that Avatar has shown.

Am I the only one with a lingering suspicion that James Cameron and whoever else wrote this has been playing too much WoW?

It's scantily clad night elves and Teladrasil in space.

I never saw Dances With Wolves but throughout the film I kept thinking, "My God, this is like an allegory to the Native Americans vs. Pioneers conflicts of the 19th century. Oh ho, me is observant!" *eats Milk Duds*

sieve5:
WELL
This is now my favorite movie of all time, I saw it at the Imax in 3D (which is the only way anyone should see it) it was amazing. The foliage in the movie was so well done, it made me believe (subconciously) that it existed almost. I pray james cameron can make a sequal that can match the quality that Avatar has shown.

Unfortunately, i think if a sequel is done, it will either be very predictable, or they will add so much extras in that the movie will be bursting at the scenes.

I do agree with you that the movie is FANTASTIC. Just got home from watching it then in 3D and i was amazed. Its an entirely new concept that explores something that is almost a taboo these days: spiritual growth.

now before u crucify me for saying this, think about it. he starts out as someone begrudgingly taking the job because his brother died feeling drained. As he meets the natives, he begins to embrace their lifestyle and way of living. the further along he gets, the more and more he understands how they relate to nature, and tells us that we dont have that connection, because back at earth, they have no green (this is a quote, but not word for word... its in one of his journal entries). as the movie goes on, he becomes more aware that the enemy is not the natives, but the ones that are destroying mother nature so they can sell the metal.

this whole story is a symbol of someone growing from having no spiritual life, to a man that has fulfilled his journey, moving from his former body (the one who was spiritually dead) to his new body.

as said before, i really enjoyed this movie, and will not hesitate to see it again.

Went to see it yesterday ina 3d veiwing, ok the storyline is pretty basic and predictable, but this film really cannot be beaten on pure immersion and quality. Thoroughly enjoyed every eye watering minute

I don't know. I kind of liked it, but it was far from the best movie I have ever seen, even this year.

I just wish the plot was as good as the rest of the movie. I can kind of see the point behind having such a generic story, but it really didn't do it for me :(

sieve5:
I pray james cameron can make a sequal that can match the quality that Avatar has shown.

I pray to God that he leaves the movie as-is. So far as I'm concerned, Avatar sits with District 9 in the category of "Absolutely phenomenal films that have room for sequels but would be much better off alone."

DND Judgement:

JaymesFogarty:

DND Judgement:

i'm buying a PS3 so i can watch it on blu ray... i can tell it'll be disappointing on normal DVD...

Good call, on Blu ray it will be mental!

I saw this movie last night. I couldn't stand it. I can't see why everyone likes it so much. The movie just felt so generic, predictable and over done. After watching this movie, I really wanted to see District 9 again, just to get the bad taste out of my mouth. The Pawns are way cooler than those annoying Na'vis (I think that's what their called. The natives are one of the reasons why I hated the movie. They are just so fucking annoying!).

letsnoobtehpwns:
I saw this movie last night. I couldn't stand it. I can't see why everyone likes it so much. The movie just felt so generic, predictable and over done. After watching this movie, I really wanted to see District 9 again, just to get the bad taste out of my mouth. The Pawns are way cooler than those annoying Na'vis (I think that's what their called. The natives are one of the reasons why I hated the movie. They are just so fucking annoying!).

And you probably never will because you expect too much out of the movies you see.

Russian Redneck:

letsnoobtehpwns:

And you probably never will because you expect too much out of the movies you see?

So, I'll never see District 9 again because I didn't like Avatar because I "expect too much out of the movies [I] see"? Funny, I like Paranormal Activity and that only costed $15,000 to make.

Simply Michelle Rodriguez not playing a badass for once makes this a good movie. Seriously, that smile in the trailer is an original sight.

Right. On. Went and saw it tonight, and it was amazing, probably going to go back and see it again sometime this or next week. But you hit the nail on the head about the plot. I walked out of the theater with two of my friends and turned to them and said, "Everything I thought was going to happen, happened..."

EDIT: In addition to everything else, I lol'd at the fact that the planet was named Pandora, as was the planet in Borderlands, both with some vast alien treasure. ooooooooooooooOOOoOOOOoOOOoooOOOOooooo

Are you fucking serious! this movie was awful, James Cameron should hang his head in shame. ignoring the fact that this movie is just James Cameron jerking off to his CG I "pet project" the Dialogue is fucking terribly written it shoots any immersion in the face then shits on it. fuck you James Cameron I want my money back.

Usually I can hang with your reviews, but I think your comparison to Lord of the Rings is probably one of the points that illustrates why I can not watch this movie or ones of this particular subgenre, the shiny but as simple as a puzzle in Highlights type of movie. It's like spending the night with a cheerleader (with apologies to the clever ones).

I can't shut off my brain when I enter the theater! I need meat in my story, a movie that's beautiful but lacks that tears away at my patience like rough grit sandpaper.
I have nothing against beautiful scenes in illustrations or games, but if it's in a movie you'd better engross me in more then just ambiance.

So yeah, I'm skipping this unless a friend insists and instead will watch 10th Kingdom again. A decade old with effects that weren't state of the art then, but a deep well thought out plot wins the day every time.

I disagree with Bob.
I kind of liked it thanks to the visuals and all.
But despite that it was boring to me because of the total lack of original story.
And the environmental message was just too blatant and cliché.
In fact, the whole story was one glaring cliché.
Not the kind of movie I want.

Not sure if I want to see this movie... But I wonder, will MovieBob be reviewing The Princess and the Frog sometime soon?

Another typical movie where the evil military can't seem to shoot straight enough to save their lives. (Which ironically enough, they don't.) I can't believe James let two shitty Terminator movies be made just so he could spend 10 years on a stereotypical "We all gotta save the enviroment and all those in the military and industry are money grubbing douche bags."

I thought the film was... average. I don't care about good CGI, it's just an average plot with shiny stuff in. Not that impressed, thought it was fun, but forgettable.

bartholen:
"The plot was kept so basic to not distract us from all this immersion"?????!!!!????

I laughed my ass off when I saw Avatar's trailer. If there's one thing I can't stand about movies, it's clichés. What does Avatar have that hasn't been done a billion times before? Kinda reminds me of Gears of War: compensating poor story with amazing visuals. If I don't care about the characters or their motivations, I can't give less of a shit about the rest of the whole movie.

Please, somebody tell me that Avatar has some unique twist, turn, moment, character, new idea or ANYTHING that would make me want to watch massive battle scenes again. What I've seen thus far doesn't give away any of the previously mentioned.

And before you all start ripping my post to pieces: my opinion is based entirely on what I've seen and heard about the movie, I haven't seen it.

Then go watch it. I guarantee you no matter how skeptical you are, you will have some kind of respect to it.

Walking in and seeing this film was like watching Star Wars for the first time. Sounds stupid, cliched and graphics driven, but its NOT.

I cared what happened to the characters, and to be honest there were actually one or two things that happened i totally did not see coming. Sure it may be predictable. Sure the story has been done before. But this isn't just a film, its a breakthrough in cinematic as a whole, and a damn well told one at that .

Can't judge a book by its cover. Now go watch it.

The movie was ok.

another great review, good job bob

Dammit Movie Bob, as soon as you said wait I exited. Now I shall never know what you wanted me to wait for.

I saw Avatar at the cinema a few days ago, it's the best movie of the year so far next to District 9 in my opinion.

The Jakeinator:
The movie was ok.

This reminds me of an interview I read with a certain director recently. He was asked if he allowed the comments of critics to affect him. He said yes - but only for as long as it took the critic to construct the comment.

Animikean:
Usually I can hang with your reviews, but I think your comparison to Lord of the Rings is probably one of the points that illustrates why I can not watch this movie or ones of this particular subgenre, the shiny but as simple as a puzzle in Highlights type of movie. It's like spending the night with a cheerleader (with apologies to the clever ones).

I can't shut off my brain when I enter the theater! I need meat in my story, a movie that's beautiful but lacks that tears away at my patience like rough grit sandpaper.
I have nothing against beautiful scenes in illustrations or games, but if it's in a movie you'd better engross me in more then just ambiance.

So yeah, I'm skipping this unless a friend insists and instead will watch 10th Kingdom again. A decade old with effects that weren't state of the art then, but a deep well thought out plot wins the day every time.

my sentiments exactly, enjoyed the visuals but had to keep putting my eyes back in as the story line and characters would make my eyes roll out of my head every 20 minutes or so.

and that is just one example, if i can see your script/plot coming from 30-40 minutes away you have done something wrong

If you see this movie in 3d bring a bottle of tylenol because you will have a splitting headache by the end.

I will not be seeing it, I don't buy films to be preached at.
Especially when it's a very, very, well-worn argument like "stop, like, being so greedy, dick", by a Hollywood schmuck, no less.

Most win movie for me :D
totally worth it
and yes, MovieBob, wish granted :)

deltasniper1640:
How could you not think the Special Effects were not amazing. Name one movie that had character models that were that good.

I know this was directed at someone else, but it is relevant to what I was going to come in here and say.

Special effects stopped being special when CGI became a crutch of the industry. When damn near every movie gets CGI'd out the ass, it stops being cool anymore. Sure Avatar may be well built, but at this point I just don't give a shit.
Avatar has been a skip for me for a long time now. Why, you may ask? Easy, the storyline is pure crap. I don't want to see that same plotline for the thousandth time. This movie was supposed to be a 'game changer' (industry's words, not mine) and what did it actually change? Nothing from what I can tell. The story is the same ole crap we've seen before (ferngully thrown in a blender with dances with wolves, yawn), the visuals are frankly nothing I give a fuck about, and what does that leave? A pointless, big budget flick that is basically the movie version of your average "pretty but vapid" video game.

I liked the movie and agree with the Dances With Smurfs rant, it's like people saying "the cake is a lie" and saying you're automatically funny....wait, didn't Yahtzee say that?

I've seen Avatar, it's "okay".
The story is 3 hours long and slowly paced. I wasn't engaged emotionally with any of the characters, and for the most of the time I thought it was almost on the verge of being boring. Also some of the camera direction is distracting, especially in the first half hour when Speilberg is more concerned with showing off the 3D instead of telling the story.

lordlee:
Yes, yes Avatar is very nice.

BUT WHAT ABOUT PRINCESS AND THE FROG? Disney makes a glorious return to 2D animation and you don't even give it a nod? For shame Bob, for shame.

Princess and the Frog? You mean Disney craps out another princess movie?
Who cares. When they do something different from their regular formula maybe I'll bother to go and see it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here