Escape to the Movies: Avatar

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

deltasniper1640:

How could you not think the Special Effects were not amazing. Name one movie that had character models that were that good.

Special effects don't make a good movie. I don't care how good it looks I care about the story and whether its something that draws me in and excites me. I've seen these same amazing worlds in hand-drawn animation that was made 20 years ago. In terms of CG we've seen just as good visuals in something like King Kong, and arguably more engaging CG characters in both Kong and Gollum.

Star Trek's still the best movie I've seen this year.

It was a truly awesome movie, but the 3D seriously got old after a while, I'm near-sighted so when I'm in a cinema I have to wear my glasses or all I see is a big blur, so I had to double up, and I tell you about an hour in my nose and ears were killing me.

I don't know what it was with the animated characters but for the first time ever I actually forgot they weren't real actors, they did such a good job on the Narvi(?) that I stopped thinking "haha blue computer sprites" and got into the story, same goes for the environment, good effects shouldn't be something you think about, you shouldn't even notice them at a conscious level at least that's my 2 cents.

I guess it comes down to a matter of opinion whether you like the film or not, but there are a couple of things that need mentioning if they haven't been already:

Firstly, the much-slated use of "Unobtainium" is actually a legit, if (hypernerdily) humerous scientific term, and refers to an extremely rare or costly hypothetical material. Apologies if anyone's already said this.

Also, the film science guys have actually done a cracking job of explaining Pandora's network as a brain - the means of communication between the trees are right, as well as the number of connections between the trees. I've gotten quite sick of many reviews (mercifully not Bob) mentioning the pseudo-science without realizing that it's what allows them to put their overactive pens to paper.

Oh, and a couple of new/different retrovirusus could easily produce another set of legs.

Other than that, I don't know about anyone else, but I have no real issue with the re-use of a particular plot. The movie was beautiful, and made me feel like a 12 year old in terms of sheer enjoyment.

IMO, the plot was riddled with holes and the actions of the military, protagonist, and conglomerate people made no sense at all. Add in more liberal face-slapping towards white military and corporation businessmen as is necessary.

Avatar is pretty, but it's going to fade into obscurity in a matter of years, if not months.

After seeing this movie I realize how much I truly enjoyed the ambience of it. Nothing really too unreasonable (I was afraid those wooden arrows would start going through steel the second the inverse law of ninjas began to apply) and I didn't find any big plot holes. There were holes in explanation like how on earth he was able to neural-link (wireless..?) and why exactly that Na'vi didn't believe that the humans were going to de-forest when they had to do that the second they landed and set up base.

Overall I think that this movie sits on the brink of the future of cinema, not on the storytelling part but on the ambience.

Just saw the movie today. It's not half bad. I give it a 7.5/10.

I thought the CGI and the world they created was awesome. The movie itself was shite though. A very simple plot and very boring characters.

It really is an incredible movie, you really feel for the characters and the special effects are mind blowing its a must-see!

Was I the only one hoping we would see every single one of those annoying blue hypocrites die at the end? They have a strong warrior cast, they therefore fight for resources among themselves like every culture ever. Are we really supposed to root for them just because they're loosing?

The effects were meh for me, they look like rendered images and that's it. Not really any better then LOTR's rendered creatures, though that's admittedly a high standard.

I was really impressed by the movie. Yes the story was a classic bordering on cliché "going native" type but it was told well and the characters were interesting (except the villain). I dont want to pander but this was probably my favorite movie this year (maybe star-trek), and it presents you with a most interesting decision would you rather have an avatar body or remain human? When I saw the previews for the movie and the video game I never thought i would want to be on the tree hugger side. And i still think about the movie almost two weeks after I saw it. This definitely is a movie I WILL see again.

And yes I would do that, call me a pervert i dare you (at least I'm not on deviant art)

Personally I saw it as...
Rambo meets up with Sheena in the magical land of Fern-gully and after a rip roaring adventure filled with nature, nudity and sex (was I the only one who notice that the girl only wears a top at the end of the movie... What's up with that!)They all live happily ever after like nothing happened.

I found it strange... I thought it was both fun yet lame.
I didn't know that was possible!

Thank God, I wasn't the only one with a giant Deviant Art stamp in my mind when seeing that film

I dislike heavy-handed environmentalist messages, same reason when I have kids I'm never letting them watch Wall-E.

Although the comparison I was going to make wasn't from South Park or having anything to do with Dances with Wolves - I was just gonna say he ripped the plot from FernGully and leave it at that.

I enjoyed the movie greatly. The main problem I had was the prerequisite "inspirational speech": WAAAAY overdone, totally took me out of the film for about ten minutes (but considering how long the good part of the film was, I could ignore those ten minutes).

I would have joined the Na'vi, too...modern society is overly complicated; their hunter-gatherer way of living looked appealing, and neural-linking with enormous raptor-bats looked like a blast as well.

MasterKirov:
Another good review - should be off to see it this weekend!

The Deviant Art part was absolutely hilarious. As someone who views that ste quite often, I understand Bob's comment on that completely. Although mind you, I think itt'l be those with the Catgirl fetishes who do it first (and I know a few). Before you know it - BAM! The Na'vi make their way into furry culture (although I doubt it, it would be funny if that happens).

So there's one last thing to say on that.
WOULD YOU DO HER?

Oh, and, um... I thought of this before seeing the Youtube video by the way...IN THE NA'VI!

killer-corkonian:

MasterKirov:
Another good review - should be off to see it this weekend!

The Deviant Art part was absolutely hilarious. As someone who views that ste quite often, I understand Bob's comment on that completely. Although mind you, I think itt'l be those with the Catgirl fetishes who do it first (and I know a few). Before you know it - BAM! The Na'vi make their way into furry culture (although I doubt it, it would be funny if that happens).

So there's one last thing to say on that.
WOULD YOU DO HER?

Oh, and, um... I thought of this before seeing the Youtube video by the way...IN THE NA'VI!

The short answer to your question? No.

Long answer? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

The video BTW? *Facepalm*. Should have seen that one coming.

The film is amazing- though I suspect that it was the first time Ive seen a 3D film had something to do with it. Beleive me, there is no point during the whole thing where you would ever think; this is awesome, but it needs more plot! Screw the plot, the combination of emotion and action is powerful enough as it is and more plot would get in the way.

Oh and to answer your last question; It Depends. If i could have an avatar then hell yes, but as a human... well... Those girls are like 11 foot tall... ... ...
the phrase 'throwing a sausage down an alleyway' seems appropriate.

fair enough, its not Dances with Wolves.

it's POCAHONTAS!!!!!

YEAHHH!!!!!!

ok.

If I might be so bold, what is so wrong about a movie that tells a story we have all heard before? Call me crazy but that seems to be the way in which any story/movie has ever been told.

Dances With Wolves was the combination of the European and American man taking over the Native American's land mixed with a romantic center.
Star Wars brought together the idea of an evil expansionist Empire with that of the single hero taught by an elderly mentor.
Titanic was the well known historical disaster meshed with the romance of a young girl with father issues falling in love with the bad boy from the lower class.

See, it can be argued that no one wants to hear the same story again and again, but not only does that happen, but such stories become widely popular and become part of our culture. There are just two things that need to be done in order for such a "retelling" to be done successfully.

First of all, they need to bring something new to the table, otherwise we're just saying/seeing what we've already seen. Avatar does this by taking us literally to a place we have never seen before, and having us all but physically interact with that world.
Second, the retelling needs to stay true to the original. Another way of putting this would be to say "give the people what they want."

**Spoilers Ahead**
I do not know about everyone else, but I know for a fact that I wanted to see the main character grow sympathy for the Na'vi, fall in love with the girl and join forces against the army. I wanted them to rise up into a massive counter attack. I WANTED all of Pandora to say "enough of this crap" and ram a charging beast right down the army's throat.

I believe everyone is free to like and dislike what they please, but I can not for the life of me understand why they would turn against something as artful as Avatar and reject it as being over-budgeted, predictable and preachy, when all it really wants to do is take us somewhere we can't go, and let us lose ourselves in it. If nothing else, I hold a great respect for people that were at least willing to give it a chance, even if it did not deliver what you wanted.

Regardless of how this will make me sound, this movie has helped me remember what it means to be human, and truly alive.

(And one final thing, yes it can get annoying hearing movies and people saying "Protect the Earth" and what not, but if so many people find it important enough to say, wouldn't that give it at least a little bit of validity?)

I just saw the movie. I thought it was... Alright.

I dunno.. I have seen a few of the trailers.. And it really really just turned me off.. I have seen this storyline hundreds of times before.. And just because it includes 10 foot tall kitty cats and giant mechs doesnt mean it will be any different.. I might see this if its my only option for movies this year..

i can't get into this movie, special effects are a good thing and 3-d always brings out the action, but i prefer movies where when i watch them again, i notice things that i never saw before. i'd rather rent the movie, reicently i've grown a new standard for games and movies, and this movie doesn't meet them

"comes to you at the price of more than twice the GDP of (wherever that was), courtesy robert murdoc and mcdonald's"

well yeah, unless you pirated it and watched it in your own home theatre, courtesy of sony and logitech...

Still not gonna watch it. Why? You ask. Dont want to look at James Cameron's wankfest, and it certainly is nothing short of that. Wankfest how? you say. Well if I were to create a movie I would start by NOT putting my goddamn name in the title! That just irks me in a certain way. Yes yes there might have already been made another Avatar movie, I cannot say, but come on; Lord of the Rings is not named Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings even though a cartoon was made back in the day. No sir. Had James Cameron's Cameron simply named his movie Avatar then fine, I would watch it, no questions asked! I don't pay 10 bucks to watch someone jerk of, at least not in a cinema....

Well, my review of the movie would come down to one grand

"Meh".

Lot of money sunk into visuals, but if at least half of that ammount was used to pay a script writer to do his damn job, the movie would have the astouning visuals AND a good story.

James Cameron should stop blowing all the money on CGI and spend some more on writers it would be a win win situation.

EvilChicken25:
If I might be so bold, what is so wrong about a movie that tells a story we have all heard before? Call me crazy but that seems to be the way in which any story/movie has ever been told.

Dances With Wolves was the combination of the European and American man taking over the Native American grounds mixed with a romantic center.
Star Wars brought together the idea of an evil expansionist Empire with that of the single hero taught by an elderly mentor.
Titanic was the well known historical disaster meshed with the romance of a young girl with father issues falling in love with the bad boy from the lower class.

See, it can be argued that no one wants to hear the same story again and again, but not only does that happen, but such stories become widely popular and become part of our culture. There are just two things that need to be done in order for such a "retelling" to be done successfully.

First of all, they need to bring something new to the table, otherwise we're just back saying/seeing what we have seen. Avatar does this by taking us literally to a world we have never seen before, and having us all but physically interact with that world.
Second, the retelling needs to stay true to the original. Another way of putting this would be to say "give the people what they want."

**Spoilers Ahead**
I do not know about everyone else, but I know for a fact that I wanted to see the main character grow sympathy for the Na'vi, fall in love with the girl and join forces against the army. I wanted them to rise up into a massive counter attack. I WANTED all of Pandora to say "enough of this crap" and ram a charging beast right down the army's throat.

I believe everyone is free to like and dislike what they please, but I can not for the life of me understand why they would turn against something as artful as Avatar and reject is as being over-budgeted, predictable and preachy, when all it really wants to do is take us somewhere we can't go, and let us lose ourselves in it. If nothing else, I hold a great respect for people that were at least willing to give it a chance, even if it did not deliver what you wanted.

Regardless of how this will make me sound, this movie has helped me remember what it means to be human, and truly alive.

(And one final thing, yes it can get annoying hearing movies and people saying "Protect the Earth" and what not, but if so many people find it important enough to say, wouldn't that give it at least a little bit of validity?)

+1 million respect points from me. My thoughts on the movie are very similar to yours and to everyone else's who agree with you.

Also, I really don't get the 'retelling the same story' crap. Do people not realize there are younger generations that haven't seen those "great" old movies that first told the story ? And I suppose besides those people, there are people who just can't get immersed (enough) in a fantasy world and bash Avatar for various related reasons, to which I ask myself why they'd watch SF movies in the first place.

I saw it. I liked it.
And nothing else to say, with 9 other pages of opinions.

Gilgamesh00:

+1 million respect points from me. My thoughts on the movie are very similar to yours and to everyone else's who agree with you.

Also, I really don't get the 'retelling the same story' crap. Do people not realize there are younger generations that haven't seen those "great" old movies that first told the story ? And I suppose besides those people, there are people who just can't get immersed (enough) in a fantasy world and bash Avatar for various related reasons, to which I ask myself why they'd watch SF movies in the first place.

If you're really picky, theres only about 10-12 truly original stories out there, just different characters and settings with each version. As the poster above me said, 9 pages of opinions is quite a lot, so all that can be said probably has (i only read 2).

It was definitely ENTERTAINING in 3D though, it finally brought back the "cinema is for entertainment not a big screen" feeling, for me, especially because Avatar in 3D boils down to 4 words.

ORGY OF THE SENSES.

hamster mk 4:
I was all set to dismiss this movie as an overwrought 3D tech fest for kids. I generally don't like movies that feature prominently in happy meals. However I usually respect Movie Bob's opinions, so I may give this one a chance.

Me too. In fact I was all set to never watch it. But then a screener showed up on the interwebz and I couldn't help myself.

Not impressed. Glad I didn't spend money to watch this crap. I didn't care for Titanic over a decade ago, (except for propeller guy) and I don't care for this now.

hamster mk 4:
I was all set to dismiss this movie as an overwrought 3D tech fest for kids. I generally don't like movies that feature prominently in happy meals. However I usually respect Movie Bob's opinions, so I may give this one a chance.

Go SEE THIS MOVIE. It's like seeing a film in a theater got reinvented. The 3D is THAT GOOD!

Overall score: 9.0/10.0, there are no tens.

Plot:Cliche, but he was working on it before other movies came out, I guess.
Immersion: Best in films ever. From the 3D to the set pieces, to the character acting.
It feels like a trip to another world!

Twist: Poor, this is the prequel to Aliens franchise...we know those Humans have nukes, and will nuke/firebomb that place into a warm grave. It's the only way to be sure.

Improvement: If the Beige man died[Sully, his acting is superb] and the Blue Smurf Princess[I'd tap that!, her acting is good.], was to lead the nation withthe memory of his sacrifice intact, that would have made a female empowerment ending. Something 1)less racist than this cliche "white guy, last historical, HONOURABLE, ethnic warrior" bullshit. And 2)less sexist than this cliche "women can't do shit, alone" bullshit.

If you watch it without the 3D, you can shave a whole point off, it's a different film/experience. I nearly cried twice in this film.[you can't prove I said this]
The film is crafted to be completely accessible, and so anyone who did not liek it, is actually exerting effort to frown. When those flying things swooped down and the surround sound captured all the flapping, I was like wow. Just smiles.[you can't prove I said this either]

@MovieBob And Titanic[emotional, empowering masterpiece] is not one of his weaker films, watched that 2 days back, for the 5th time...
T2 is.
I did not know he did one of my absolute favs, The Abyss...awesome.
And Aliens 2 is a masterpiece.

Saw it, found it entertianing but forgettable. Its one thing to say that a film retreads old ground but does it well, and/or adds something fresh to it because every story has already been told. However, Avatar doesn't really do any of that. It's pretty that's about it. The Na'vi were cool to look at (not that kind of look at) and were well acted but the Jake's dialogue and VO's were terribly childish. The Jake's Sad story prologue was pointless and did nothing to establish him, or endear him to the audience what wasn't done in the story proper. The movie painted everything in such sharp relief that it was hard to focus on much more than which of the Na'vi were going to die. Peace loving natives: GOOD, Military/Coorporate guys: BAD!! Anyone else notice that when the human soldiers were saying terrible things about the Na'vi and taking pleasure in killing them, there weren't any female soldiers present or taking part?

Anyway, it was just spectacle to me because there is no rooting for anyone but the big blue cat people. It didn't even do what Princess Mononoke did (a movie that tells pretty much the same story) and make the correct side ambiguous. The people of iron town need to survive too, Eboshi is compassionate to humans and the people are likable characters. In Avatar the people are just complete bastards. Pretty effects but a totally shallow story that would likely have been forgotten without James Cameron and the really, really cool visuals. It kills me to think that it's going to win best film when it really should be in technical categories alone.

I'd like to think that the 'bond' the natives form with things is done with a tentacle from the back of their head as an extension of their spinal cord, which is braided into their hair to protect it. That would be really cool; so would more info on Na'vi biology in general.

I loved Avatar when I first saw it, but looking back the film was just okay. Like with district 9 the story was unoriginal but well told but the characters were barely there, the villain may as well have just held up a sign saying "hello I'm the bad guy", the dialogue felt forced and unnatural and the ending was kinda predictable (especially if you played the game). Also it was kinda ruined for me by the Nostalgia Critic constantly making unfunny jokes about it because I guess he can't stand the thought of someone liking something he doesn't.

Gilgamesh00:

EvilChicken25:

Dances With Wolves was the combination of the European and American man taking over the Native American grounds mixed with a romantic center.

First of all, they need to bring something new to the table, otherwise we're just back saying/seeing what we have seen. Avatar does this by taking us literally to a world we have never seen before, and having us all but physically interact with that world.

**Spoilers Ahead**

I believe everyone is free to like and dislike what they please, but I can not for the life of me understand why they would turn against something as artful as Avatar and reject is as being over-budgeted, predictable and preachy, when all it really wants to do is take us somewhere we can't go, and let us lose ourselves in it. If nothing else, I hold a great respect for people that were at least willing to give it a chance, even if it did not deliver what you wanted.

I pretty much have the same opinion as you guys, and as for why there are people who just wanna bash the movie, I think it has to do with their egos. Basically, people who just call it off as a "Dance of Wolves" clone are just jealous because they didn't think of it first, or they thought of a similar story, but James Cameron got to make it first. So those people are trying furiously to divert attention away from the public by shouting "DoW clone! Do not see!!" However, if those people actually flushed their egos down the toilet and tried to like it, they certainly could; it's beautifully done.

I saw it two weeks ago and I thought it was awesome, 9.5/10 (because 10 is impossible, ya know).

Clirck:
Now I defenetly want to see it. Oh and what did he ment with the last bit?

From what i gathered, he means that

ostro-whiskey:
I generally agree with Movie Bob, but this is bs. This movie is just visual masturbation, I would prefer to spend my money on a flm that actually has depth, and can immerse me.

It should have been pointed out that this movie is designed to appeal to people with a limited mental capacity.

This movie was not for everyone, you have to have a undertone liking for fantasy movies that require 300 million dollars to make. Personally, i thought Avatar was one of the best movies I've ever seen. The story was a little schizophrenic but i really liked it. But as i said, you have to like this subject matter or you wont like Avatar

Donttazemehbro:

Clirck:
Now I defenetly want to see it. Oh and what did he ment with the last bit?

From what i gathered, he means that

ostro-whiskey:
I generally agree with Movie Bob, but this is bs. This movie is just visual masturbation, I would prefer to spend my money on a flm that actually has depth, and can immerse me.

It should have been pointed out that this movie is designed to appeal to people with a limited mental capacity.

This movie was not for everyone, you have to have a undertone liking for fantasy movies that require 300 million dollars to make. Personally, i thought Avatar was one of the best movies I've ever seen. The story was a little schizophrenic but i really liked it. But as i said, you have to like this subject matter or you wont like Avatar

Oh please, I like fantasy movies, but this is just space Pocahontas or Dances with Wolves. Its generic cliched bs, there is nothing in the story that is likeable.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here