Escape to the Movies: Sherlock Holmes

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

What was wrong with The Spirit. It was campy and ridiculous and I enjoyed the crap out of it.

god my eyes have been opened never realized that house is basically holmes

JaredXE:
Video stops at 3:24

Kinda a shame too.

Same here.

Mookie_Magnus:

paul anderson:
1st

Seriously? You make your very first post ever on this site... A 'first' post?

You sir... Have won this year's Christmas Forum Fail Award.

ben---neb:

paul anderson:
1st

Saying this in a proud manner on Christmas day of all days is as pitiful as this sentence is ironic.

HardRockSamurai:
Not a very detailed review in my opinion, but it's the holidays, so who cares? right?

I'm about to see this film in two hours with my family. If it does turn out to be horrifically average, so be it. However, I am relieved to hear that the lead actors performed well in this movie.

paul anderson:
1st

GO TO HELL!!! and Merry Christmas!

benbenthegamerman:

paul anderson:
1st

sort of a waste of an account, no? reported.

Doxcology:

paul anderson:
1st

If you want people not to dislike your very existence on these forums you'll remember not to post "1st" next time.

Other than that welcome to the Escapist!

Gentlemen, troll. Don't feed it.

Nice review.

One thing I've found very interesting about RDJr's career since he got sober is that he continually plays addicts of some sort, or at least someone using alcohol to kill pain.

It's almost as though he's found a way to work out his demons by playing such characters. But he plays them excellently-I'm not complaining, just noting a trend.

House...Holmes...Homes....

House = Home

Holmes = House

It was right in front of me and I never saw it. Though I've watched like, 3 episodes of house in my life and I feel like that is pretty much all of them.

paul anderson:
1st

This is either a really funny joke or a really funny not-joke.

this movie sounds interesting and looks cool, i'll probably go see it

JaredXE:

Kinda a shame too.

Did the same damn thing for me. Just advance the video a few seconds manually.

Hmm, I was hoping this one would be good. By which I mean, entertaining enough as to not induce rage. I'm all about the Holmes (just started reading some of them again), and I was figuring this would be pretty much what you say: good, but not perfect, but better than it could have been. Downey Junior is doing pretty good for himself lately.

Lucky for me I won't get to see it for another week or so, so I get to start 2010 off with Holmes. HOLMES!

Was I the only person who when he heard Bobs description of Holmes character it reminded me of House, from the show of the same name. I never really made the connection before but those two are remarkably alike.

Just a tip: best film-version of Sherlock Holmes is the russian version, consisting of 5 awesome films.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Sherlock_Holmes_and_Dr._Watson
It's almost perfect. Seriously.

HOUSE FTW!

Wow, this really made me realise how much House is based on Holmes. OT however i may actually check this out now, i was concerned about it to start with.

No mention on the severe lack of the 22century? I know you know what I'm talking about bob and I'm betting you remember some of how the theme song went.

Merry christmas bob!

Mookie_Magnus:

paul anderson:
1st

Seriously? You make your very first post ever on this site... A 'first' post?

You sir... Have won this year's Christmas Forum Fail Award.

Just report and pay no attention...

JaredXE:

Kinda a shame too.

having the same problem, expect for me it always stops at 2:53. I've refreshed the page maybe 4 or 5 times. A real shame, indeed, I was especially interested in this one =/

So perhaps I'll see it then. Be a fun way to send 2009 to bed.

Oh and I too was having problems. But that was five hours ago, the problem seems to have resolved itself.

It's a horrible adaptation of Holmes. It's an American action flick pretending to be something the director had no idea about. Usually I agree with Moviebob, but definitely not now.

Ioc2much:
What was wrong with The Spirit. It was campy and ridiculous and I enjoyed the crap out of it.

I have a bit of a taste for bad movies. Yes, I own both Plan 9 From Outer Space and Robot Monster on DVD. I was disappointed in The Spirit because I found myself enjoying the movie as the filmmakers intended the movie to be enjoyed.

I think what went wrong with The Spirit is that it came out so soon after Dark Knight and most people were expecting the Spirit to be the same, but it's a comedy. That just doesn't work.

paul anderson:
1st

Really? Please don't tell me you created an account just to post that... You sir FAIL!

Yup. 3.24 for me also :/

I saw this yesterday, and I agree with Bob 100%. The plot is, well, let's say a tad predictable (although enjoyable nonetheless), but the characterisation and the thing Downey Jr and Law have going on; absolutely brilliant!

I agree on the 'one of the best Watsons' comment, because WOW. I will admit that Jeremy Brett did a great Holmes and also played him to the OCD and mildly bipolar factor, plus he just looked the part. I think him and Downey Jr. are big contenders, in the world of Sherlockania (...I'm new at the Sherlockian thing) for visually representing him well.

I thought the plot was decent enough, as far as being original, and considering how Doyle was later in life, he might approve of it.
But yes, this was great, and I would totally see the next two. FINA and EMPT for the win and in movie form? SWEET!

Things about Jude Law is I've NEVER seen him suck in any movie he's been in. A seriously underrated actor.

The video just won't play all the way through for me. Too bad, I wanted to know whether or not Moviebob liked it. Our opinions are generally pretty similar.

Story is okay enough to see as movie itself, but he hits it right with how well the two characters shine in this movie. Regardless of the plot, see this for the depiction of Sherlock Holmes and Watson, best ever in my opinion!

Meh. I was never really convinced that Downey was Holmes, as opposed to Robert Downey Jr. in Victorian England. It was kind of disappointing. Also, there is a lot of stupid symbolism that I won't get into because of what people consider spoilers.
And was I the only other person in the world who caught onto the whole Holmes=House thing? It was kind of obvious to me.

Nice review, light on the spoilers and heavy on the information I wanted to know: Do RDJ and Jude Law pull of one of the best detective teams of all time? I'm very happy the answer appears to be 'Yes'. My wife and I will be hard pressed to decide between seeing this and Avatar.

We picked up on the House thing as well. Because we both - my wife especially - love, love, love us some House.

Littaly:
And what does VR mean? Apart from Virtual Reality?

Google it.

I cant watch it. I just cant bring myself to watch it. I cant imagine Sherlock Holmes being an action hero in some buddy cop dick waggling bull shit. Just blargh... I am sure its not a bad movie just I have unexplainable resent for it.

Yea I guess I am a Holmes fanboy. The stories are just so interesting to me and yes I am just bad mouthing the thing because it goes against what I want to see in a Holmes movie. Just I always have viewed Holmes as a more quiet man who would defuse a situation rather then watch it blow up. I just cant bear to see Holmes in a movie where I am assuming there are one liners (I dont know this for sure dont yell at me) plus explosions and a lot of fighting. It just isnt Sherlock Holmes to me.

Holmes isnt really about action its about method and deduction. The point of it is a mystery, a story wherein you have an impossible circumstance and it is explained logically. There isnt explosions and senseless fighting.

Bleh yes I am just being a little Sherlockian fanboy but you know what its been a favorite of mine since I was just a kid.

Random fact: when they killed off Sherlock Holmes the Strand Magazine lost around 2,500 readers.

after 2:15 i have trouble seeing anything afterwards, i might get a few seconds working here and there after that point. but for the most part the video stops shy of half way. i am pretty sure its not me cause i have deleted my internet history (and stuff) and refreshed my browser but it still fails to load properly.

I think what he ment by the two batmans was

Spitfire175:
It's a horrible adaptation of Holmes. It's an American action flick pretending to be something the director had no idea about. Usually I agree with Moviebob, but definitely not now.

I have to agree with this even though I haven't seen ANY of the originals but it wasn't bad, it just isn't anything great or special, just like everything else these days.

Whats with that Bob guys voice :o
That review with the crappy sound just made me hate the movie....or maybe i hated the review. . . . .i think he is tryign to be funny and witty but....it just fails. i dont think ill be following this show :S Altho if there are badges i may click ^_^

p.p: But in all fairness ill check out couple of more reviews maybe this was just one of the bad days for bob.

Solidarity Brother!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or