The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2009: John

Pages PREV 1 2

Patroclus:
starcraft 2? HA! good one Mr. Funk! If it ever does come out I'm not buying it

No LAN no StarCraft.

Good list, I just bought Torchlight when it was 5 bucks and I'm loving it. Kinda displeased at Killing Floor never being reviewed, as that's a kick ass Indie Game.

I expect to see S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat on someones list for games of 2010 or heads will Roll like they are typed in italics.

Left for dead 2?! Mister Funk, I have now lost all respect for you.

I do however, totally agree with Assassins Creed 2, it is freaking awesome.

dududf:

Patroclus:

No LAN no StarCraft.

Good list, I just bought Torchlight when it was 5 bucks and I'm loving it. Kinda displeased at Killing Floor never being reviewed, as that's a kick ass Indie Game.

I expect to see S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat on someones list for games of 2010 or heads will Roll like they are typed in italics.

No review? News to me. :P

Even without LAN, the version of StarCraft 2 I played at BlizzCon absolutely blew me away. If that's the UNFINISHED product, I can't wait to see what the finished version is like.

CantFaketheFunk:

dududf:

Patroclus:

No LAN no StarCraft.

No review? News to me. :P

Even without LAN, the version of StarCraft 2 I played at BlizzCon absolutely blew me away. If that's the UNFINISHED product, I can't wait to see what the finished version is like.

Ahh that's when the preferences come in.

I hardly get to play online due to lag, and when my internet meets ideal conditions I'm playing L4D2 on Expert Realism with pals. I mainly just play Star craft with a bunch of friends in a lan party. No other real time. Call me picky but my preferred choice of RTS differs when playing by myself or 1v1. You're not the only one who can play the Review card Senior Funk. =]

Also to the Review of Killing floor it's a niiice, and was spot on about the "It's not scary in groups" point. When you're in a large group it's merely a camp a hallways, have one guy in the back healing and 3 people taking turns shooting the heads. The game is much more fun with 3 people on the map "West London" :)

Starcraft 2 as blizzard has said is done, whats left is Battlenet 4.

"Takes all the elements of a 2D Fighter and cranks it up to 11"

How long can the internet go without a reference to This is Spinal Tap?

As I haven't played AC2 yet I may need to change it in the future, my five would be the same except that Professor Layton would hit number 5 and it would all shift up one.

CantFaketheFunk:
The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2009: John

It's almost 2010, but what were John's five favorite games from 2009?

Read Full Article

I was beginning to despair that none of you would include Arkham Asylum or ACII in there! First the dodgy-ass ads for teeth cleaning and buffing up and then no praise for two of the sweetest games this year? Phew, one crisis averted!

While I primarily agree with your choices, exclaiming that Arkham Asylum's combat was good enough to carry the title is unreasonable. It's entertaining but the monotony sinks in fairly quickly.
It works because in the context of A.A it provides that contrast from the stealth, and they work together.

Nice choices though, 2009 was pretty impressive.

HOLY FUCK THIS GUY SUCKS AT BB!!!!
Seriously, I don't expect him to be an expert but that game is one of the easiest games to do big combos in ever. Seriously, look at good matches or go to dustloop. FFS THEY GAVE YOU A DVD THAT SHOWS YOU THE MOST BASIC COMBOS IN THE GAME! FOR FREE! (2 disc soundtrack also free)

Kurt Horsting:
Seriously, I don't expect him to be an expert but that game is one of the easiest games to do big combos in ever. Seriously, look at good matches or go to dustloop. FFS THEY GAVE YOU A DVD THAT SHOWS YOU THE MOST BASIC COMBOS IN THE GAME! FOR FREE! (2 disc soundtrack also free)

The person playing as Jin and spamming punch in the video had never played the game before. The footage had been captured when the game had only been out for a few days (and I don't play Ragna anyway).

I assure you, my Noel is quite competent ;)

John Funk:

Kurt Horsting:

The person playing as Jin and spamming punch in the video had never played the game before. The footage had been captured when the game had only been out for a few days (and I don't play Ragna anyway).

I assure you, my Noel is quite competent ;)

Then whats the harm of showing your good gameplay in the review of a game you want people to play? The vid just feels like a shallow representation of the game, which is a lot flashier, and is much deeper then what was shown. You should show more of the big combos and crazy things that can happen, rather then showing two guys mashing buttons while blindfolded and recording it. What it looked like to me is as if someone took something like halo or MW2 and just did nothing but show the guy wasting all their ammo shooting the ground or killing friendly npc's or something stupid that no one that has any background in the genre would think is interesting or cool.

On the subject of BB, the only thing that hurt it for me was the unintentional balance. A lot of the top tier characters being much stronger because of unintended design. Like with Rachel, she feels design around using her wind to make a strong zoning game with all her projectiles and restricting how the opponent moves. But in practice, she can just rush down and use her pumpkin and frog to force people to block all the time while doing a 50/50 mixup without risk. Carl's clap loop, and Ara's re-curse combos, are just more examples of what I mean.

P.S. I'm considered to be one of the best Noel player in the midwestern United States. My gamertag is "KingofBums SRK", it would be fun to see what you got.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here