The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2009: Susan

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2009: Susan

Susan shares her five favorite games from 2009. Can you guess what they are?

Read Full Article

Nice list.

That's two now, and Scribblenauts hasn't come up anywhere!

I am dissapoint.

But nice list, although I haven't actually played any of the games, they sound good :)

SirBryghtside:
That's two now, and Scribblenauts hasn't come up anywhere!

Well, its hard to have "fun" with the game, when you just so so frustrated with it's controls. Still a great game, but just annoys the fuck out of me whenever I do any action stage that requires some degree of precision.

... what is that thing you yell, right at the end? I can't work it out.

Get in there, Dragon Age!
2 Out of 2 so far.

Good list! I do like the way that The Escapist make personal top 5 games lists for each of the major staff of the website :3

Rascarin:

You mean the "happy holidays"?

WOW! Glad to see props for The Path, even though I also didn't have much fun with it... although I didn't have a memorable experience with it either. Maybe I should give it a fair shot and finish more than the first walk.

And HEY, when you're playing cool games like "Emerald City Confidential", which is in quotes because I've never heard of it before, you need to have a place on the site where you can mention what cool games you are playing at the moment so we can all check them out as well. That would also give us a little heads up as to what reviews to expect and maybe what you'll talk about in your columns. I'm sure this is all buried on the staff twitter accounts, which I'll start following now, but whenever I look at the watercooler all I see is little back and forth stuff like '@JohnFunk OMG No Way! So what did he say?', and '@SusanArendt It's in the safe next to the chicken dinners.' (not real examples)

best list ever, simply because i had forgotten the FvZ song, also i had never heard of Emerald City Confidential before, and i freaking love that kind of games, but dont you worry, i am draining my credit card even further via steam as we speak.

and because it cant all be flattery, silly songs and new indie click n point games, i was not a big fan of the path, i heard that its and completely different experience for women, but i doubt that the complete lack of enjoyment can be blamed on my XY chromosome.

and i was just reminded that i used 60 hours on dragon age in one week.

edit; i just remembered that you reviewed some of these titles, maybe link the review in the title for each of them, just a suggestion, and now i gotta go jump into emerald city, gotta love steam.

Dragon Age hits another number one again XD

yay for everyone (so far) liking dragon age.

and i had never heard of Emerald City confidential until i read that, is there at least a demo for it?

Good list, but I'm a little surprised that 'Splosion Man didn't make the list. You're glowing review was enough to make me (and I'm sure many others) check it out, and I thought it was a lock for the list. Ah, well, I guess not every deserving game can get honors.

Zenode:
yay for everyone (so far) liking dragon age.

and i had never heard of Emerald City confidential until i read that, is there at least a demo for it?

no demo, but its 4.49 on steam and i must say im having a ball with it, give it a try.

Dramus:
Good list, but I'm a little surprised that 'Splosion Man didn't make the list. You're glowing review was enough to make me (and I'm sure many others) check it out, and I thought it was a lock for the list. Ah, well, I guess not every deserving game can get honors.

This was a really, really hard list to cut down to just five games. Some truly wonderful games, like 'Splosion Man, Assassin's Creed 2, and Pure Hidden had to get the axe.

That PvZ song was just ... tear-inducing-unmanly-aaaaaaargh-cute!

the 360 isnt the only Quasimodo of DA:O. the ps3 is just as ugly, but its still a great game.

BUT NO RPG BEATS TITAN QUEST!! *snarl*

I can't help wondering if Tropico 3 was even considered by the staff. Neither Russ nor Susan have mentioned this game yet.
As the third Tropico the game may not be revolutionary, but it's still a great game on it's own. In a gaming drought like this year, I find this a bit odd. DOes nobody know about this game?

never got into Uncharted 2, it was good and I tried to like it, but it was hard to find something to keep me going

but wow Dragon Age again? not sure if that makes the Escapist staff huge nerds or the game is something I really really need to try...maybe both =P
I never got Mass Effect (might get the sequel) so this could be my first BioWare game since KOTOR

You know, you're right: I actually cared about the main quest in Dragon Age. Maybe because the steps to completing it were compelling on their own?

300lb. Samoan:

And HEY, when you're playing cool games like "Emerald City Confidential", which is in quotes because I've never heard of it before, you need to have a place on the site where you can mention what cool games you are playing at the moment so we can all check them out as well.

That's SUCH a great idea. Not simply indie, but any 'small' games that didn't have four times the cost of development pumped into a PR campaign. Games designed to make money off of filling a niche in customer demand, as I imagine a lot of people here are part of at least a few 'niche' demographics.

veloper:
I can't help wondering if Tropico 3 was even considered by the staff. Neither Russ nor Susan have mentioned this game yet.
As the third Tropico the game may not be revolutionary, but it's still a great game on it's own. In a gaming drought like this year, I find this a bit odd. DOes nobody know about this game?

Played the demo on the 360, didn't like the controls, but if I had a computer to run it, I would definitely check it out on the PC: seems to have retained that 'old school' feel while still managing to improve up to meet modern standards. If anyone's going to mention it, it's going to be Archon.

veloper:

Definitely one of the games that I wanted to play this year, but never quite got a chance to. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, if you'd care to share them.

Oh, and for the record, duchaked, we on The Escapist staff are huge nerds, and you should play both Dragon Age and Mass Effect. (You'll want to play it before you play ME2, truuuuuust me.)

Susan Arendt:

veloper:

Definitely one of the games that I wanted to play this year, but never quite got a chance to. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, if you'd care to share them.

Oh, and for the record, duchaked, we on The Escapist staff are huge nerds, and you should play both Dragon Age and Mass Effect. (You'll want to play it before you play ME2, truuuuuust me.)

Well I did a review of T3 here and Skarin did an even better review with screenies, but nobody noticed. Both are pieces are still here though.
I already bought DA:O out of WRPG desperation and I'm actually enjoying it (mostly), and I intend to get ME some day.

Major kudos for including The Path. I somehow suspect it won't be making many such lists, which is a shame.

OMG, Susan we love you!!!! //fanboyism

*Aham*

I must say that The Path is the only one I gave a weird look at. I played it a couple times and it was just weird. I find it hard to see as a game actually. Just too weird...

DA: O hits number 1 again. Fuck I really need to get that game.

Nice, like how you didn't only choose mainstream titles, and included a couple that were off the beaten track.

Awesome list, Susan. Haven't gotten around to Uncharted 2 yet, but everything else is solid. Schweet.

Onyx Oblivion:

Nice list.

*sigh* And now it's in my head again. P-) not like that's a bad thing though--some days I wake up with it as my first thought upon waking. Such a lovely song.

Susan Arendt:

Rascarin:

You mean the "happy holidays"?

Yes, that'd be it.

I have poor hearing. :(

I am intrigued by this "Emerald City Confidential" though, might give that one a go.

duchaked:
never got into Uncharted 2, it was good and I tried to like it, but it was hard to find something to keep me going

but wow Dragon Age again? not sure if that makes the Escapist staff huge nerds or the game is something I really really need to try...maybe both =P
I never got Mass Effect (might get the sequel) so this could be my first BioWare game since KOTOR

same with uncharte, i dunno what it was, it was good but i just found it hard to play and enjoy...

also, they are probably nerds but dragon age is an epic game, easily one of the best ever and ive not long started it

Awesome favorites list, I can see myself itching to try these games already now, epecially Dragon Age. Heh, I must say, most of the staff members on the escapist have very pleasant voices, i mean, take yahtzee, russ, susan, graham and paul, john funk and jordan deam and the people from TWBB (there will be brawl). I just kind of noticed *shrugs*

I didnt know any of those 'part from DA: Origins, and Uncharted 2. I'm gonna check out the path looks awesome. Can someone elaborate what it is?

Jamface:
I didnt know any of those 'part from DA: Origins, and Uncharted 2. I'm gonna check out the path looks awesome. Can someone elaborate what it is?

If you are looking to learn more, we reviewed the game earlier in the year. Here is the link.

Slycne:

Jamface:

If you are looking to learn more, we reviewed the game earlier in the year. Here is the link.

Cheers, i'll check it out.

Tell me, did anyone here buy The Path after trying the demo? Because I did - try it, not buy it - and I didn't get it. Any of it. Not even not getting it in a good way, one that sparks your curiosity and imagination like Zeno Clash did, which easily ranks as the best game ever for me personally, if I may say so. I read about the game, installed the demo, and walked the path to Grandmother's house. The End. Then I remembered, the point was to go off of the path. So I walked away from the path. And walked. And walked. And came back to the same path. Looked around in a few more different directions, but there was nothing there. Did I just not stumble upon whatever was lurking in that forest, or was there really nothing?

Another thing: Thank you for making me remember why I was excited about Dragon Age in the first place, and now not having to regret buying it on a whim when the reasons for that were not readily available in my head. Now I just have to wait until a time comes when I can squander a part of my life away at that game without much consequence.

LTK_70:
Tell me, did anyone here buy The Path after trying the demo? Because I did - try it, not buy it - and I didn't get it. Any of it. Not even not getting it in a good way, one that sparks your curiosity and imagination like Zeno Clash did, which easily ranks as the best game ever for me personally, if I may say so. I read about the game, installed the demo, and walked the path to Grandmother's house. The End. Then I remembered, the point was to go off of the path. So I walked away from the path. And walked. And walked. And came back to the same path. Looked around in a few more different directions, but there was nothing there. Did I just not stumble upon whatever was lurking in that forest, or was there really nothing?

Another thing: Thank you for making me remember why I was excited about Dragon Age in the first place, and now not having to regret buying it on a whim when the reasons for that were not readily available in my head. Now I just have to wait until a time comes when I can squander a part of my life away at that game without much consequence.

Sounds like you just never found the bits of the Path that you needed to find. Which, admittedly, is a fairly easy thing to do. Read the review, see if any of that piques your interest and if so, take another crack at it. Don't go in expecting a good "game," though, because it isn't. But it is a very intriguing experience. Or can be.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here