The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2009: Susan

Pages PREV 1 2

300lb. Samoan:
WOW! Glad to see props for The Path, even though I also didn't have much fun with it... although I didn't have a memorable experience with it either. Maybe I should give it a fair shot and finish more than the first walk.

And HEY, when you're playing cool games like "Emerald City Confidential", which is in quotes because I've never heard of it before, you need to have a place on the site where you can mention what cool games you are playing at the moment so we can all check them out as well. That would also give us a little heads up as to what reviews to expect and maybe what you'll talk about in your columns. I'm sure this is all buried on the staff twitter accounts, which I'll start following now, but whenever I look at the watercooler all I see is little back and forth stuff like '@JohnFunk OMG No Way! So what did he say?', and '@SusanArendt It's in the safe next to the chicken dinners.' (not real examples)

LTK_70:
Tell me, did anyone here buy The Path after trying the demo? Because I did - try it, not buy it - and I didn't get it. Any of it. Not even not getting it in a good way, one that sparks your curiosity and imagination like Zeno Clash did, which easily ranks as the best game ever for me personally, if I may say so. I read about the game, installed the demo, and walked the path to Grandmother's house. The End. Then I remembered, the point was to go off of the path. So I walked away from the path. And walked. And walked. And came back to the same path. Looked around in a few more different directions, but there was nothing there. Did I just not stumble upon whatever was lurking in that forest, or was there really nothing?

Another thing: Thank you for making me remember why I was excited about Dragon Age in the first place, and now not having to regret buying it on a whim when the reasons for that were not readily available in my head. Now I just have to wait until a time comes when I can squander a part of my life away at that game without much consequence.

To both of you: people tend not to like The Path at first. It seems weird and boring, but by the time you get to the third girl (or so), it just begins to affect you. Impossible to describe and I'm told it's different for each person. For me, it was this intense feeling of dread and fatalism. I knew what was going to happen, and I knew it would be awful, but I couldn't not do it any more than I could actually want to do it. Very hard to describe, but suffice it to say that I definitely agree with Susan on this one.

No, I was talking about the demo. All I found in the demo was a telephone that said something I can't remember. Was there a point in the demo?

I should REALLY get around to buying Dragon Age: Origins... Stupid moving and cant afford to even eat, but still have great internet and cable tv

I have to say, I've kind of cooled down on Uncharted 2. It was a fantastic game, but a tinsy bit shallow in terms of gameplay and also characters.

Then again, maybe I cooled down because I finished the game four times back to back.

orannis62:
To both of you: people tend not to like The Path at first. It seems weird and boring, but by the time you get to the third girl (or so), it just begins to affect you. Impossible to describe and I'm told it's different for each person. For me, it was this intense feeling of dread and fatalism. I knew what was going to happen, and I knew it would be awful, but I couldn't not do it any more than I could actually want to do it. Very hard to describe, but suffice it to say that I definitely agree with Susan on this one.

Very interesting to see a game/interactive experience that people respond to like that. I'm almost positive I have the complete game, from Valve's Indie Sale. I'm going to have to give it an honest effort.

Maybe this is inconsequential, but... I'm a 24 year old male. Will that affect what I take away from the game?

LTK_70:
No, I was talking about the demo. All I found in the demo was a telephone that said something I can't remember. Was there a point in the demo?

The demo was apparently actually a section that wasn't in the full game, I can't really say what was in it.

300lb. Samoan:

orannis62:

Very interesting to see a game/interactive experience that people respond to like that. I'm almost positive I have the complete game, from Valve's Indie Sale. I'm going to have to give it an honest effort.

Maybe this is inconsequential, but... I'm a 24 year old male. Will that affect what I take away from the game?

It's not for everyone, I'll say that. As for the effect, well, I've already told you the effect it has on a 17 year old male, but like I said, it's different per person. One thing that most people agree on, however: Tale of Tales wasn't joking when they said it was a horror game, it's just incredibly subtle about it.

Angron:

duchaked:
never got into Uncharted 2, it was good and I tried to like it, but it was hard to find something to keep me going

but wow Dragon Age again? not sure if that makes the Escapist staff huge nerds or the game is something I really really need to try...maybe both =P
I never got Mass Effect (might get the sequel) so this could be my first BioWare game since KOTOR

same with uncharte, i dunno what it was, it was good but i just found it hard to play and enjoy...

also, they are probably nerds but dragon age is an epic game, easily one of the best ever and ive not long started it

yeah? =) I'm gonna give Left 4 Dead another chance soon probably, couldn't get into that the first time I tried it either

mm I definitely would like to give dragon age a try, but I don't have the time to commit to an RPG atm
the closest game as of late with RPG elements for me was Borderlands, but that's more shooter lol

Was expecting PvZ and The path ofc and had a slight hunch u where gonna take uncharted 2 cause u seemed to like it. Dragon age origins would be the game of the year for me even if i had only played the 360 verision of it.

In short great choice of games

I love your videos! They always manage to make me laugh. And now, with two different staff members listing DA:O as their top game of 2009, it's becoming very hard to skip the game entirely. Might I like it even if I'm not an RPG fan?

Well, unlike Yahtzee, Susan actually has taste in games, so I might go and check a few of these out.

I can't help but feel like she semi-spoilered The Path though - I really didn't want to know that "the only way to win is to lose", that's the sort of thing I'd rather find out while playing. EDIT: scratch that thought, I can't blame Susan, The Path's own promo material has the same spoiler in it! Pathetic, whatever happened to a bit of mystery...

BonsaiK:
Well, unlike Yahtzee, Susan actually has taste in games, so I might go and check a few of these out.

I can't help but feel like she semi-spoilered The Path though - I really didn't want to know that "the only way to win is to lose", that's the sort of thing I'd rather find out while playing. EDIT: scratch that thought, I can't blame Susan, The Path's own promo material has the same spoiler in it! Pathetic, whatever happened to a bit of mystery...

If you play it, you'll realize nothing was spoiled because if you're like me, you will play it over and over to try and make sense of each sister's "demise", so-to-speak. That's the real mystery.

And I can't believe I forgot about this game on my other list. It's definitely number 1 for 2009, no offense to everything else.

So, revamped list (as I also forgot about Borderlands):

The Path
Saboteur
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Dragonage: Origins
Borderlands

in that order.

ldbmikey86:

BonsaiK:

If you play it, you'll realize nothing was spoiled because if you're like me, you will play it over and over to try and make sense of each sister's "demise", so-to-speak. That's the real mystery.

You've just spoilered it some more by mentioning that there's multiple characters who all meet a demise of sorts. I should stop reading this thread.

The Path is a multimedia presentation. Selling it as a game is somewhat fraudulent.

And Emerald City Confidential pales compared to Grim Fandango or Discworld Noir.

I do agree with Dragon Age though. Bioware gets it right every time. Mass Effect 2 will be something special.

Aedes:
OMG, Susan we love you!!!! //fanboyism

*Aham*

I must say that The Path is the only one I gave a weird look at. I played it a couple times and it was just weird. I find it hard to see as a game actually. Just too weird...

i loved the mention of the path i whole heartedly agree with it being in a top 5 like this. no most gamers wont like it, there arent exactly set goals, the path is about exploration of the path and about yourself. hell most people wont even get it, dismissing it as "weird" which isnt a negative or a complaint about them, its not what you expect but well worth getting for something original and amazingly creative.

the company that makes it and other games like fatale and the graveyard are an experience more than a game and for me i have to be in the right frame of mind, no distractions, at night with the lights off. Honestly i never thought i would be able to say it about a game but the path and the other games by small belgian indy company tale of tales is to me a work of art.

glee, just finished Emerald City, i must say i went from being in love to being entertained towards the middle when it went from noir adult detective mystery to entertaining fantasy story, but it was still an amazing trip, and the casual level of the puzzles made it all feel so fluent.

one of the best adventure games i have ever played.

plants vs. zombies is so awesome. i got everyone i know hooked on it. my mom plays it like shes got a crack addiction, damn junkie.

Great final choice totally agree with the last one although my inner fan boy still hates UC2 for its exclusiveness and the fact it rips of firefly

also would like to ask is the path meant to be quiet slow i wasn't to sure so i stopped playing it so i didn't ruin my first experience with it

WOOOO!
dragon age!!
nice
one of my favs too.

I half thought that she would have picked Wolfenstein I mean it had poof guns.

Loved how you included The Path in your list.

"Women are like forests. Mysterious, and full of wolves"

CNKFan:
I half thought that she would have picked Wolfenstein I mean it had poof guns.

Well, if we do a list of "favorite weapons of 2009," that'll definitely make the list. POOF!

I notice that numerous aspects of Dragon Age: Origins that were appreciated by Bioware RPG fans are sections that I found laborious.

So the path you can only loose at?

So it's like dwarf fortress where no matter how good you do eventually it all will crumble down around your feet and you will be left mourning as your last dwarf fights with insanity before throwing himself into a lake and you can only watch as the bubbles slowly begin to stop. Then you sit there wondering how this happened and why at the prime of your fortress one little kolbold managed to kill one child dwarf. The parent of that kid then enrages and punches a dwarf. This causes a chain of assaults and destruction of property ending up in a tantrum chain.

This whole time the local law enforcement struggles to maintain order the best they can as an army of dwarves charge the shield wall with rope reed socks beating the life from every last guard with said socks until there's nothing but a bloody pile of giblets on the floor dripping blood down between the cracks into the floor below. The few remaining ones are injured so much they slowly bleed out as the wave of destruction passes through the fortress. Then later as the smoke clears and the fires die out nothing is left but the ruins of a once great fortress brought down by a single koldbold that was out for blood. As you abandon the fortress all you see is death and despair and the air is heavy with the sent of decay.

Yep all this can and just might happen in dwarf fortress and it's very worth learning how to play just for the stories.

susan will you have my child

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or