The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2009: Russ

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2009: Russ

The Escapist's Editor-in-Chief, Russ Pitts, shares his favorite games of 2009.

Read Full Article

The tags sort of gave it away a bit, given that all of the Top 5 were sitting right above the video.

Tags: The Surprise-Killer.

Also, fail in the description. "shares his favorite games of 2010"

Pretty good list. I wonder, will any one else make a list of favorites over 2009 games?

A fine selection you have there.

And might i add that you are not the only one who enjoyed Godfather II.

This is a solid list. I can get behind this. Especially Modern Warfare 2, which, despite how I feel that the story is pretty silly and very rough around the edges, delivers a great single player playthrough even if it is pretty short.

I like your list.

Off topic, a lot of the bad press MW2 gets I think is based partly on how it lacks dedicated servers, making it a pain to play multiplayer on a PC. And we PC gamers can get pretty loud if we don't like something..

I may change the list around later on when I get round to playing some of the games released this year, but till then, your list is something I'd go with.

is god father 2 on the wii?

Seems good. I didn't like Godfather 2 much, though. Better than the first, though.

Nice list, it isn't just a rehash of topscoring games from 2009 like some websites do.

Your list was ok, but not great.
Dragon Age: Origins
Wolfenstein Borderlands
Modern Warfare 2 Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Brutal Legend
Batman: Arkham Asylum Assassin's Creed 2
The Godfather II
Now, that's a great list.

It's nice to see I'm not the only one who seriously enjoyed Brutal Legend.

JimmyBassatti:
Wolfenstein Borderlands
Brutal Legend
The Godfather II

I think you're kind of missing the point of doing a "favorites" list, rather than a "best of."

I have now been convinced to get Wolfenstein when its below 20 USD.

CantFaketheFunk:

JimmyBassatti:
Wolfenstein Borderlands
Brutal Legend
The Godfather II

I think you're kind of missing the point of doing a "favorites" list, rather than a "best of."

I realize it's a favorite's list, I simply am comparing lists. Batman wasn't all that great, is all :D

I really, really need to get around to playing Arkham Asylum.

I loved brutal legend up until the point that the strategy part kicked in every half an hour, but dragon age as best game of the year? Yes yes yes just an awesome game

I thought that list was good, I agree with what you said and am glad you didn't choose every high profile release.

Susan Arendt:

Do it! NOW!

It said "Top 5" but I saw 6 video-games.

Susan Arendt:

Yes, you do.. As a matter of fact, go tell Russ that The Escapist Community is going to lynch you if you don't. So as a matter of job security you should stay home (and get paid) to play it.

(Just kidding about that Lynching thing.. don't hit me with a banhammer..)

Hey where's Gyromancer???
*twitch*

I mean Demon's Souls??

AkJay:

Nice catch! Now *read* instead of *skimming* and you'll find your answer ;)

Russ Pitts:

AkJay:

I normally skim through the list, and if I see a game I like, I'll read the description, if I see a game I don't know/like, I'll skip it.

AkJay:

Russ Pitts:

AkJay:

I normally skim through the list, and if I see a game I like, I'll read the description, if I see a game I don't know/like, I'll skip it.

Then I guess you'll never know ...

Cannot say im surprised @ number 1. It was an awesome game. No Denying that =D

Emerus:
Pretty good list. I wonder, will any one else make a list of favorites over 2009 games?

That would be pretty cool, the full escapist staffs look at the top 5?

I wouldn't call Dragon Age brilliant and perfect.....it has plenty of problems. I love it, but when I can go through the whole game with an invisible Ogren appearing in cutscenes but NOT ever in my party...yeah, they need to work on some stuff.

A great list with a few of my own faves in there too to really get me onside. I really liked the fact that someone who is high up enough (has a lot of readers) to make a difference enjoyed MW2. At last! It's not meant to be a deep tale of lost love and heroes etc. It is what it is and that is great fun (unless you have just been akimbo 1887'd AGAIN in Karachi!).

Good man Russ. I just hope that your colleagues follow through in a simlar stance, ignore common prejudice and big up a game for it being enjoyable to play. Fingers crossed for Uncharted 2 to get some recognition.

solid list but im surprised assassins creed 2 wasnt in there.. :P

JimmyBassatti:
Modern Warfare 2
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Brutal Legend
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Assassin's Creed 2

You're absolutely right THAT is a great list.

I wanted to plal Brutal Legend but no console.

I would probably love MW2 but Activision but the price up so to protest i refused to buy it.

I would hate to play Godfather 2, Wolfenstien

I might like Batman but I'm never going to buy it

I am undecided about DRagon Age: Origins. It's either really good or sucks balls. I think like Oblivion it might grow more and more rubbish as time goes by.

And I do agree with Russ when he says that it was a terrible year for gaming. It really was.

I had the problem that some other posters might've too; I thought it was more a best of not a faves list-but once I saw the list in that light; bingo. All makes sense.

In a way, staffers of the Escapist have an advantage; they have to play a lot of games during the year. Most of us, because of our budget, do not have this luxury. I don't have the money to spend on Godfather 2, and the multiplayer aspect of MW2 doesn't appeal to me so I'll be waiting to get that used. But you guys, with a faves list instead of a best of, can highlight things that you liked, period. Which is, in my eyes, tilted differently than a best of. Makes me think that maybe Wolfenstein is worth a rental-who knows, maybe I'll like it?

In conclusion, I'm looking forward to the rest, to see what other gems might come up.

Finally I was beginning to think that I was the only person who thought godfather2 was a lot of fun.

For folks who are asking, yes, other people on staff will be sharing their Favorites, as well.

Hurrah! Someone else who loves Wolfenstein!

Look out! Particle Cannon!

Overall it was a pretty good list. And I like the idea of doing "faves" over which games were "technically" the best. Sometimes games that don't get a lot of fanfare are some of the funnest to play.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here