Zero Punctuation: Saboteur

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

KamachoMcSagget:
I want him to do Rougue Warrior

No such game.

Interesting review this week. I agree, the French suck... and so do the British. Yay Irish!

I was sort of expecting a "Best of 09" like everyone else is doing or like you usually do at the end of the year giving out fake awards and shit. I suppose that will probably be for "Extra Punctuation" this time around, right?

Nice. Loved it. Keep it up Yahtzee

Just out of curiousity, why don't you ever review any of Insomniac's games? Two Ratchet and Clanks, and one Resistance have come out during your ZP span. Just curious.

Also, good review.

ha, i got the german version... not to say that the voice actors are any better here xD it's almost a Hawking-esque void of emotion in everything.
but that doesn't mean i don't enjoy the saboteur. It's nothing special, and it has it's flaws, many of them pointed out here, but waiting for assassins creed to get his behind to the PC, i thought running along paris' rooftops was as good a timewaster as any other.
I say, rent it if you can. There's worse games out there these days ;)

edit: oh and a happy new year to you too ;D

yaay, a way to end this shitty year! a _lot_ of rambles to the french and the english. :)

Megametalwolf :

JaredXE:

Supp:

Megametalwolf :
what you said about the irish is very offensive man, you show your british colours with this you fucking english cunt

Except, Yahtzee is Australian.

He's a Brit stuck in Australia, but he's not wrong in his description of the Irish. Actually go to Ireland, most of us are functional alcoholics.

i am irish and i find that offensive to the core and so should you, if you have any pride

I'm Irish too and I have huge pride in my country!
But the thing is it's only a bit of a laugh, he's only joking and he's not saying it in a hatefull manner.

Yahtzee was born British

With the years-long glut of WW2 games that seem to flood the market every year like drunk broads at spring break, one only needs to look to the GGW franchise to understand why anyone still voluntarily plays these games anymore. While it has all been done before (and much better in some cases), there are still enough morons who enjoy killing Nazis... however, you never see them going ape-poop on a bunch of modern-day neo-Nazis, which I always found personally strange. With all this Nazi anti-semetism that has been rerun as a theme in more games than Mario has mustache hairs, by now you'd think some dummy would have tried "re-enacting" a scene from their favorite game in reality (a la GTA).

Perhaps the overall irony for me about WW2 games is how many people still anticipate playing these games when clearly none of them are old enough to remember WW2 (me included). What's the big tie-in that people still have with WW2, Nazis, and smelly French douche-muffins that game developers continue to sink money into these projects, and waterheads continues to buy and play them enough to convince studios to keep making them? Yahtzee was quite on the mark by saying that we know how everything is going to turn out in the end. So what is the point unless you are only going to vaguely use WW2 as a reference point to create some alternate universe of the modern world based loosely on the events of WW2 with just a slight tweak, like maybe the atomic bomb was never invented and how the Germans took over? Oh wait... they did that already a few times.

I certainly hope a majority of people will agree with me when I say that ANY war game has jumped the shark a very long time ago, and you dingleberries who still drool over the release of Call of Duty games need to get over it already. It is bad enough that the American Army releases its' own war game you can play for free online, why would you want to pay for one? Studios and developers have run the world war simulation games dry, it's about time they got the message that it's time to do something innovative for a change already.

By the way, probably the last hurdle anyone has for killing Nazis is to get Mario in a WW2 so you can stomp on their heads until coins pop out of their butts. After that, it is definitely over.

JaredXE:

Supp:

Megametalwolf :
what you said about the irish is very offensive man, you show your british colours with this you fucking english cunt

Except, Yahtzee is Australian.

He's a Brit stuck in Australia, but he's not wrong in his description of the Irish. Actually go to Ireland, most of us are functional alcoholics.

You make it sound like Australia's a bad place. =[

Good review. Wasn't keen on this game, and the apparent sloppy-ness of the game is keeping it that way.

I have to ask, but did he honestly not make a joke about the Belle De Nuit?
I'm surprised.
But nonetheless, great review.

Continuum:

xLANKYx:

Megametalwolf :

And im betting french people are guna be offended by his comments about them, the scots are guna be offended by him blowing scotland off "the map", the brits are guna be sad cos no one likes them.

i like how instead of just calling him a "cunt" you call him an "english cunt".... very telling that is.

If your country had had half of the hardship ours has had, you would not say that. It's quite insulting when a Brit is racist towards Irish people considering that your country pretty much enslaved ours.

dont play that card with me, if i wanted to i cud find loads of instances where the brits/english where fucked over by various countrys. very few if any "old" countrys dont have a past which includes hardship, the irish hardship is just more recent.

the brittish/english people have themself been pretty much enslaved at some points in history so dont try & use that as if its unique to the irish.

the only differance between irish hardship & any other in the british isle's is time.

I'm not sure if I'll ever play this. I usually play all sorts of games of varied reception but when it comes to sandbox games, I want the best since you have to invest plenty of time in them. Same for RPGs.

GodKlown:
With the years-long glut of WW2 games that seem to flood the market every year like drunk broads at spring break, one only needs to look to the GGW franchise to understand why anyone still voluntarily plays these games anymore. While it has all been done before (and much better in some cases), there are still enough morons who enjoy killing Nazis... however, you never see them going ape-poop on a bunch of modern-day neo-Nazis, which I always found personally strange. With all this Nazi anti-semetism that has been rerun as a theme in more games than Mario has mustache hairs, by now you'd think some dummy would have tried "re-enacting" a scene from their favorite game in reality (a la GTA).

Perhaps the overall irony for me about WW2 games is how many people still anticipate playing these games when clearly none of them are old enough to remember WW2 (me included). What's the big tie-in that people still have with WW2, Nazis, and smelly French douche-muffins that game developers continue to sink money into these projects, and waterheads continues to buy and play them enough to convince studios to keep making them? Yahtzee was quite on the mark by saying that we know how everything is going to turn out in the end. So what is the point unless you are only going to vaguely use WW2 as a reference point to create some alternate universe of the modern world based loosely on the events of WW2 with just a slight tweak, like maybe the atomic bomb was never invented and how the Germans took over? Oh wait... they did that already a few times.

I certainly hope a majority of people will agree with me when I say that ANY war game has jumped the shark a very long time ago, and you dingleberries who still drool over the release of Call of Duty games need to get over it already. It is bad enough that the American Army releases its' own war game you can play for free online, why would you want to pay for one? Studios and developers have run the world war simulation games dry, it's about time they got the message that it's time to do something innovative for a change already.

By the way, probably the last hurdle anyone has for killing Nazis is to get Mario in a WW2 so you can stomp on their heads until coins pop out of their butts. After that, it is definitely over.

I agree with this, I lost all tolerance for WWII games after I played CoD 2 all those years ago, since than I havnt even touched one, with the exception of Company of Heros because of its RTS take.

The only way a WWII game can be made genuinely interesting is if it has a German protagonist, after all, nazis had the best military technology during WWII. It would kick ass to fly the prototype jet engine Messerschmidt, easily outrunning AA guns and mowing down Commies.

Furthermore the Eastern Front, or Barbarossa saw some of the most insanely intense fighting with the heaviest casualties of the entire war, it would make a kick ass game.

lol virgin in a maternity ward

I know how we can make Nazis fresh, nay, perhaps even controversial again.

A game where you play an antifa punk rocker. One of your friends/brother/someone close in your band is murdered by neo-nazis, so you and a band of antifa go Punisher on them.

Throw in a riot scene, and make police a faction in the game and someone to avoid too.

ReincarnatedFTP:

A game where you play an antifa punk rocker. One of your friends/brother/someone close in your band is murdered by neo-nazis, so you and a band of antifa go Punisher on them.

Throw in a riot scene, and make police a faction in the game too.

I absolutly hate antifa, they are nothing but a bunch of ignorant punks and can be compared to an organised lynch mob!

Demented Teddy:

ReincarnatedFTP:

Throw in a riot scene, and make police a faction in the game too.

I absolutly hate antifa, they are nothing but a bunch of ignorant punks and can be compared to an organised lynch mob!

Well we could style it as a scene where you play scenes with different outcomes as police, neo-nazi, and antifa. The choices you make affect the outcome of the story and maybe the move of the next characters.

I am suprised that Irish people were not offended by this. This one was one of the funniest in a long time though I liked it.

Played through The Saboteur and loved it, don't agree with what he said, but you can tell he played the sub-par console version. The draw distance not good enough to see who you are running over... lol and of course PC doesn't have to pay for bare breasts. ROFL!!! Consoles suck.

YoUnG205:
I am suprised that Irish people were not offended by this. This one was one of the funniest in a long time though I liked it.

read post 12.

I quite agree with everything Yahtzee said here. I've played 15 minutes or so of Saboteur, and my first thought was "Hey, this is like Assassins Creed combined with GTA, except it is much, much crappier"

Megametalwolf :

Sounds like something an American would say.

Though I can agree with most of this review, I enjoyed this game despite it's flaws.

Oh, and I love the french....their women mostly.

Sometimes I get the faint hint that Yahtzee is a closet racist and that the only reason he's tired of killing Nazis is because he's starting to feel offended and annoyed every time he has to fight and kill one in whatever war game he's playing this week.

In all honesty, my emerald green heart was a little hurt there man..........but I agree that the French are a bunch of cheese eating wankers who could do a worse job at suiting the hero role in a video game than a quadriplegic could do at a rodeo.

Well, actually, i thought the story was rather interesting. Not the one about the invasion of France, of course everyone knows that one, but I have rather liked the protagonist's story, and thought it was good enough for me to care about him and his friends. When (spoiler) his friend was killed, I got sad, something that games haven't done to me for a while.

Diegolomac:
Well, actuelly, i thought the story was rather interesting. Not the one about the invasion of France, of cours,e everyone jnows that one, but I have rather liked the protagonist's story, and thought it was good enough for me to care about him and his friends. When (spoiler) his friend was killed, I got sad, something that games haven't done to me for a while.

Well, I wasn't expecting the death but

I'm only surprised you didn't mention just how poorly the disguise function works. It was AMAZINGLY bad!

This review actually makes up for last week, even though I don't really hate Pandemic. Battlefront 2 was playable (but not great) and it is a series that I felt had potential, so I'm sort of sad to see them die now.

You had me at "LE MARKET NOIR".

lol saw the game, thought it might be ok, was considering buying it, not nemore rofl.

I'll admit the climbing aspect of the Saboteur can be annoying, but overall I still like the game. Sometimes the gun fighting is annoying, but otherwise I enjoyed the game. Though Yahtzee is spot on about having to drive halfway across the map for some missions. I've encountered two so far. I started in the Northwest corner and had to go to near the northeast and southeast corners of the map, respectively. Wait, make that 4. One where you start off in the northwest and have to go into northwestern Paris and then back again (That's the mission right after the aforementioned one). A game that needs fast travel but doesn't have it, inexplicably.

I wasn't expecting this one. Anyway, another great review.

I guess that'll teach the Escapist to advertise mediocre games before these videos, huh?

Pretty standard review, nothing too over-the-top, but it held my attention long enough until the generic metal at the end. All the French jokes seemed a little forced, but maybe that's just because I'm one of those freaky people who doesn't hate the French.

Demented Teddy:

YoUnG205:

read post 12.

oh yeah, but it was only for laughs I doubt that their was any actual racism behind the joke.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here