Zero Punctuation: Saboteur

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Garzo:
I thought he was far too kind to it. I bought it, hated it and traded it. Assassins Creed 2 wipes the floor with it. I wanted to love this game so badly too. I love the 'Let's show 'em how we do it in Belfast' line in the game, delivered in a completely non-Belfast accent.

Well, they did go out of their way to hire an actor who was actually Irish. Of course, being Irish and being able to nail an Irish movie accent isn't the same thing.

And they butchered every other accent in the game, too, so I realized pretty soon that they were kind of doing it on purpose, you know? Going for stereotyped movie accents rather than the real thing?

Otherwise, I quite enjoyed the game. More than Infamous in fact. At least here you can shoot at people and they satisfyingly die instead of dancing around for a little while, then going back to shooting at you.

As usual, much of the criticism in the review is actually... well, not true. The game gives you a gamma selector at the beginning with the specific purpose of making the black and white areas easy to see (and you can change it in the options at any time). It also highlights nazis with shiny halos so you can see them and it has several in-car cameras (I actually thought it was easier to see in the black and white areas). But hey, Yahtzee plays these games in a hurry and has a week to put together a funny video for each of them, so I don't expect him to double check everything. It's just kind of annoying when he makes an objective point of contention out of something you solved in ten seconds in your own experience with the game...

I watched it, I paid attention, but I only took away one thing. He owns a gimp suit.

Supp:

Megametalwolf :
what you said about the irish is very offensive man, you show your british colours with this you fucking english cunt

Except, Yahtzee is Australian.

actually, he was born in Britain and moved to Australia

Ugh, was hoping that this game would be good. The premise was terrific, but that just makes failure even more glaring I guess.

Also, *ahem*, Yahtzee, Marmite is bad and you should feel bad about it.

One more vote for Borderlands someday soon. Pretty please...

Anemone... Brilliant!

I've had fun playing the Saboteur, but I can't wait for assassin's creed 2 to come out on PC. It's better, people been telling me :)

Some people actually seem to take ZP with more offense than they really should.

Hell, if he said all Canadians were igloo mongering hillbillies with sled dogs for cars, I would have cared less. (I am Canadian, by the by)

He's extrapolating stereotypes, get over it.

Anyways, good review. Never actually heard about this game until now.

This is officially your best punchline ever.

I liked the game. =[

A lot.

I will admit that tedious driving is tedious, but everything else was fun in my book. XD

ShadowsofHope:
Some people actually seem to take ZP with more offense than they really should.

Hell, if he said all Canadians were igloo mongering hillbillies with sled dogs for cars, I would have cared less. (I am Canadian, by the by)

He's extrapolating stereotypes, get over it.

Agreed. (Also Canadian. I love me some hockey and Maple Syrup, eh)

Exploiting stereotypes is one of my favorite types of humour. (That's right, I spelled it humour)
If people would just accept that its a joke and maybe make some back instead of getting all offended and worrying about "political correctness", the world would be so much better of a place.

Now if you'll excuse me, we're still not getting that much snow just yet here in southern Ontario and my igloo is falling apart.

He was pretty right about that whole irish people free runing thing except he did leave out wife beating

A good review, and as always very funny. I think Yahtzee is right about the overuse of Nazi villians in games. It seems as though if you want an enemy that the player can shoot to hell, without raising eyebrows, these days have to be somehow affiliated with nazi's. Be they in space or otherwise. I also think that cross map travel in sandbox for one and usually only one mission needs to be removed if the genre is to survive with any dignity.

we Americans do love the Irish... =P

Seems like all you need is a nazi mod for l4d2 --- whence you can wield the guitar to kill them.

xLANKYx:

Continuum:

xLANKYx:

Megametalwolf :
what you said about the irish is very offensive man, you show your british colours with this you fucking english cunt

And im betting french people are guna be offended by his comments about them, the scots are guna be offended by him blowing scotland off "the map", the brits are guna be sad cos no one likes them.

i like how instead of just calling him a "cunt" you call him an "english cunt".... very telling that is.

If your country had had half of the hardship ours has had, you would not say that. It's quite insulting when a Brit is racist towards Irish people considering that your country pretty much enslaved ours.

dont play that card with me, if i wanted to i cud find loads of instances where the brits/english where fucked over by various countrys. very few if any "old" countrys dont have a past which includes hardship, the irish hardship is just more recent.

the brittish/english people have themself been pretty much enslaved at some points in history so dont try & use that as if its unique to the irish.

the only differance between irish hardship & any other in the british isle's is time.

Ok, but my point is that your country enslaved ours for many many years. Your country even changed our language! My family were quite prominent in winning independence for Ireland from the British, so yes I will play cards. Ireland never did anything to the UK, and if they did, it was in retaliation.

Don't get me wrong I have absolutely nothing against British people whatsoever, but in the past your country did oppress Ireland and saying otherwise is a lie. So it is quite insulting when British people are racist towards us. If you disagree fair enough, I'm not really that bothered trying to change your mind to something you can't understand.

Indeed the jumping and climbing was cumbersome, but I think once you're used to it, it a decent enough game, really.

Continuum:
Don't get me wrong I have absolutely nothing against British people whatsoever, but in the past your country did oppress Ireland and saying otherwise is a lie. So it is quite insulting when British people are racist towards us. If you disagree fair enough, I'm not really that bothered trying to change your mind to something you can't understand.

What was that thing Yahtzee said?

"If you can't laugh at a joke and go out of your way to be offended, that causes conflict."

Something like that.

Megametalwolf :

Funny thing is that you show your colours with that comment, Yahtzee said his little thing as a joke, you did not make a joke, only a hateful comment.

Perhaps you need to actually drink more, as you don't seem like a very calm person.

Having watched the review and read the comments, I just had to register and comment.

I'm Irish and I literally laughed out loud at the comment about the Irish being stupid. People need to lighten up and quit whinging about the past or taking this kind of thing seriously especially when it's clearly tongue in cheek. Ireland is a successful wealthy country (apart from the recent financial shenanigans that aren't unique to here) and no-one here is being oppressed under the iron boot of our fascist overlords anymore or whatever. Even Northern Ireland is at peace now.

It was funny. Lighten up and have a laugh.

It's particularly funny because Yahtzee's probably the kind of guy who says something like that knowing that miserable humourless whiners will get their panties in a twist over it like they have been in this thread.

Continuum:

Not my argument here, but...I do disagree, and here's why: Some guys who lived on the same bit of land that I now live on were a bunch of dicks to the guys that used to live on the bit of land that you now inhabit. It wasn't me, it wasn't you, some other fuckers entirely. If I'm being racist towards you, be angry because of that, not because of where I'm from, otherwise I'm not the only one being racist.

As a white American mongrel I've enough Irish, British, French, German, and so on in my veins to comfortably humor a guilty snicker about all involved parties.

That said, the game: what of it? Seeing how Yahtzee's primary focus is to amuse the Internet it's oft rather hard to derive a verdict for the game being reviewed. Sounds like Saboteur's primary problem is that it's derivative... but, well, so are nearly all PC games these days. See the Braid review for commentary along those lines.

Not that I'm excusing crap as not being crap just because it's slathered against a thoroughly crap background. I probably won't touch this game until it's being peddled on the 2010 Steam Holiday Sale for $5.

Megametalwolf :

Oh bravo. Bravo. Lets all give Micromentalwool a big round of applause for being so courageous to defending sweet innocent Ireland from this err... British Australian games critic.

God knows what would happen if this son of Cu Chulainn hadn't so courageously in whining ethic slurrs pseudonymously on the internet. Something unimaginable to be sure to be sure bygorrah...

JaredXE:

He's a Brit stuck in Australia, but he's not wrong in his description of the Irish. Actually go to Ireland, most of us are functional alcoholics.

I'm Irish, and I don't drink.

And your profile says you are American.

Fittingly, the only people defending the Irish on this board are either American or Irish.

America: Oppressing minority groups and then later embracing them to a uncomfortable extent years later - since 1776.

ahpuch:
The review would have been good except as I have learned from this thread, he shouldn't have used those stereotypes about the irish. He probably should have referred to them as humorless douches if this thread is any indication.

We Irish really don't like British people slagging us.

Genocide'll do that to you.

But still, I found it funny enough, and taken in the context that yahtzee is a loveable arsehole, it's fine enough.

Any of you bastards agree with him though, and there'll be car bombs..

Once I figure out how to make them

GrinningManiac:
Dear EA

This is the Island of Ireland

It has a population of 6,300,000, give or take

All of them can do better Irish accents than whoever the hell you hired

If you ever allow one of your subsiduries to make another Irish protagonist, use one of them

THank you

I sent them an email saying I would do all the Irish voice work for free, just as long as they stop hiring Americans who do joke Irish voices.

It...annoys me.

The Cake Is Annoying:

Oh bravo. Bravo. Lets all give Micromentalwool a big round of applause for being so courageous to defending sweet innocent Ireland from this err... British Australian games critic.

God knows what would happen if this son of Cu Chulainn hadn't so courageously in whining ethic slurrs pseudonymously on the internet. Something unimaginable to be sure to be sure bygorrah...

While he is overreacting, you are segueing into racism yourself there man.

yes well Yahtzee my good man you've just lost a loyal fan for many years. you've played my people for idiots and drunkards for too long and i just can't stand to listen to it anymore. goodbye.

Photobucket

No Silent Hill review? I'm surprised.

WHOA! Travis is Irish?!?!?

scumofsociety:

Continuum:

Not my argument here, but...I do disagree, and here's why: Some guys who lived on the same bit of land that I now live on were a bunch of dicks to the guys that used to live on the bit of land that you now inhabit. It wasn't me, it wasn't you, some other fuckers entirely. If I'm being racist towards you, be angry because of that, not because of where I'm from, otherwise I'm not the only one being racist.

Gah! That's not the point. History has extreme importance for some people. This particular piece is only important to me because my family were involved, so it's a touchy subject. If there is one stereotype that I think the Irish can be held to - it's pride.

The Cake Is Annoying:

Megametalwolf :

so im a great warrior and of the blood of gods sweat thanks, oh ULSTER is all for me

Continuum:

scumofsociety:

Continuum:

Gah! That's not the point. History has extreme importance for some people. This particular piece is only important to me because my family were involved, so it's a touchy subject. If there is one stereotype that I think the Irish can be held to - it's pride.

its funny that they can even see the history of our land, all of which you have stated is correct and true. i sent the man an email explaining my problems with his video and he is yet to answer me, but i see he has sent his dogs to us.

Tekyro:

PiraCee:
See more from ZP here
http://re1ease.net/tv-shows/zero-punctuation/index.html

You mean, as opposed to here? Y'know, where it's meant to be?

Look at his/her username.

Nice to have you back Yahtzee, hope you had a good holiday!
My family has irish roots so I'm sure I ought to be offended or something but I couldn't help giggling all the way through this, so well done!

I patiently await the day when game developers get as bored of Nazis as the rest of us already are and start picking on some new historical baddies. The day will probably never come but we can still dream.

Megametalwolf :

Continuum:

scumofsociety:

Continuum:

its funny that they can even see the history of our land, all of which you have stated is correct and true. i sent the man an email explaining my problems with his video and he is yet to answer me, but i see he has sent his dogs to us.

I really have a feeling you're American.

Moriarty70:
I watched it, I paid attention, but I only took away one thing. He owns a gimp suit.

That provoked a really uncomfortable and unwanted mental image.
Thanks, mate. :/

dude im irish check my profile and gamer tag

if you have xbox live open a chat and talk to me then.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here