Zero Punctuation: Saboteur

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

ThePirateMan:

Snowalker:
Wow, just woke, up, not a bad review. I guess my initial decision was correct, don't buy it, it looks boring.

One thought poped up in my head here: Wait, you take his reviews seriously?

But nevermind that.

Was entertaining, as most of the time.

Usually no, but a lot of places have been giving this good reviews, and I was looking for someone to tell me it was boring like I thought it was.

Seriously, wtf is up with all this OMG, "Yahtzee took a piss on the Irish!". I mean, what the hell is wrong with you people? Howmany times have you laughed with Yathzee taking a piss on America or the French? Or any other nationality? I sure laughed a lot about those stereotypes and jokes. I even laughed when Yahtzee referred to Belgium being a small and unimportant country (well, it kinda is) and I am a Belgian. So stop being patriotic in a comment about a game critic. It's dumb.

OT: great review, I've been thinking about trying this, but I came to the conclusion to wait for a price drop.

Heck yeah a review! :D
Love listening to Yahtzee's voice, odd as that sounds~

I'm still stunned: Habits should not include stockings.

JaredXE:
EDIT: Oh yeah, and what you said about the Irish is completely true and humorous.

yes indeed, because all Irish people as a race are stupid and love Guinness. Thanks JaredXE! >:/

Wait wait wait wait....the guy who does the main characters voice is the Medic! I know have a strange urge to play it...

Another good review, enjoyed it but not as much as all the comments in this thread.

Supp:

Megametalwolf :
what you said about the irish is very offensive man, you show your british colours with this you fucking english cunt

Except, Yahtzee is Australian.

well im irish and i take no offence to yahtzees comment hes mocked everyone else so who cares

The main character is voiced by Travis Touchdown's actor?

My interest just went up by a few points, I might have to check this out.

Snowalker:
Wow, just woke, up, not a bad review. I guess my initial decision was correct, don't buy it, it looks boring.

aw waking up at noon that has been my whole week and thank you i was thinking of getting it for my brother for Christmas but instead got borderlands

WaffleGod:
Seriously, wtf is up with all this OMG, "Yahtzee took a piss on the Irish!". I mean, what the hell is wrong with you people? Howmany times have you laughed with Yathzee taking a piss on America or the French? Or any other nationality? I sure laughed a lot about those stereotypes and jokes. I even laughed when Yahtzee referred to Belgium being a small and unimportant country (well, it kinda is) and I am a Belgian. So stop being patriotic in a comment about a game critic. It's dumb.

OT: great review, I've been thinking about trying this, but I came to the conclusion to wait for a price drop.

aw well put my dear boy well put!

I wanted to take the liberty to point out some racist remarks made through this thread... hopefully this will encourage you all to realize you are hypocrites and to get over yourselves.

Megametalwolf

you show your british colours with this you fucking english cunt.

(This sentence wreaks of harbored hatred against British people.)

JaredEX

Actually go to Ireland, most of us are functional alcoholics.
But nobody hates the Scots. I mean, they have Highlanders!
The English didn't oppress the Irish because they thought they were drunks, the oppressed them because the English are huge pricks.

(This sounds like Yahtzee comments, or jokes, or the kind of stereotypical racism that is harmless.)

Continuum

If your country had had half of the hardship ours has had, you would not say that.
It's quite insulting when a Brit is racist towards Irish people considering that your country pretty much enslaved ours.
Ok, but my point is that your country enslaved ours for many many years.
Don't get me wrong I have absolutely nothing against British people whatsoever, but in the past your country did oppress Ireland and saying otherwise is a lie.

(You seem to be holding a grudge against British people, which if blaming everyone from a specific nationality is not a racist act then I think you do not know what racism actually is.) (Though you say nothing stereotypically of British all of your sentences seem to harbor a hatred for the British.) (Racism is not just about stereotypes.)

Spelonker

In all honesty, my emerald green heart was a little hurt there man..........but I agree that the French are a bunch of cheese eating wankers...

(Another joke racist comment.)

Ahpuch

he shouldn't have used those stereotypes about the irish. He probably should have referred to them as humorless douches if this thread is any indication.

(More of a lash out at the behavior of some of the Irish people posting here but as you can see from many of the other Irish posters not an accurate assumption. (Though stereotypes are never accurate as long as one person/thing/incident can be used to prove it wrong.)

DrTrevelyan

Maybe everyone would like the British more if they'd stop acting so smug and superior to everyone else. Every Brit I've ever met automatically treated me like shit the second they heard my accent.

(Another comment that is not only stereotypical but sounds like another serious racist remark.)

It seems the main instigators that are screaming foul are also guilty of using racist remarks and hate filled speech.

OT: I was pretty skeptical of the game when I saw it, though I love sandbox games, I think they are very hard to make well.

Leaving aside the hideous hideousness of the hideous, why on earth did Yahtzee use Stilton to represent French cheese? Are there no standards left?

Thanks for a funny review, Yahtzee. ;)

YESSSS!!!!
Exactly the episode I wanted to see!

For Christ's sake people, I get it, I was wrong, you don't have to correct me 8 times.

I'm sick of real life war-based shooters in general. They're boring to look at, we generally know how they're going to end, there's only so many variations of "dude wearing body armor" you can shoot before they all start to feel the same, and the atmosphere of oppressive horror that characterizes actual war (e.g. "All Quiet on the Western Front") is conspicuously absent when you can duck behind a rock for fifteen seconds to regenerate from a gaping chest wound.

Now, if someone decided to adapt AQotWF (or even just WWI in general) into a game, and made an effort to focus on the psychological horror aspects of it, I would buy that shit faster than you could say, "Not only does everyone you care about die horribly, but it's all pointless and ends up giving Hitler an excuse to manipulate Germany into making him its Evil Overlord."

Megametalwolf :
what you said about the irish is very offensive man, you show your british colours with this you fucking english cunt

Right, because he doesn't make borderline offensive jokes about Americans or any other group relevant to, possibly relevant to, or in the same vicinity as the current object of his scorn every other week.

Grow a thicker skin. Stay off the internet until you're finished. For your own good.

JaredXE:

Megametalwolf :

JaredXE:
He's a Brit stuck in Australia, but he's not wrong in his description of the Irish. Actually go to Ireland, most of us are functional alcoholics.

i am irish and i find that offensive to the core and so should you, if you have any pride

Oh please, go to Dublin's temple bar district any time after 5 and you'll see I am right. Having actual pride means being confident and being able to laugh at the little things.

And remember, stereotypes are only stereotypes when a significant portion of the population behaves that way; there is always truth in stereotypes.

My Irish History professor (whose parents emigrated from Ireland) had something very interesting to say about this. Apparently, actual scientific studies have found that a gene responsible for encouraging alcoholism is extremely common among the Irish. However, the general population seems to be aware of this, and a large number of people have decided not to take any chances as a result. So compared to other Western nations, Ireland has a disproportionately large number of both alcoholics and teetotalers. The meetings of the historical temperance movement that occured in Ireland in the 1830s as a result of that same backlash against alcohol just so happened to be very friendly towards Irish nationalists, and ended up encouraging a lot of poor Irish Catholics to start seriously thinking about independence for the first time.

The More You Know(tm).

Ha, liked the review.

If they wanted to do the Saboteur better, they could have set it in Poland. Add quite the tragic feel as you try to hold off the Germans and the Russians, frantically busying yourself with a range of missions against two enemies on different sides of the map.

Course everyone doesn't know who the Polish are, or their history. And by everyone I mean Americans. *wink*

You could make a better game when the outcome isn't know quite so clearly. Oh sure the Nazis lose, but the question is, does the main character and the known NPCs survive the war? Also, welcome to the aftermath, it may not be quite as rosy as you hoped. Sequel?

Chaotic Neutral makes some points I have to agree with. Shooters are getting bland and repetitive.

When I first say people talking about this game I said meh. I thought it could be interesting but I didn't fallow it really. It had potential I guess but to bad eh?

hold on, yahtzi IS British isnt he? its unlike him to put honesty before vanity... lol

Chaotic Neutral:
I'm sick of real life war-based shooters in general. They're boring to look at, we generally know how they're going to end, there's only so many variations of "dude wearing body armor" you can shoot before they all start to feel the same, and the atmosphere of oppressive horror that characterizes actual war (e.g. "All Quiet on the Western Front") is conspicuously absent when you can duck behind a rock for fifteen seconds to regenerate from a gaping chest wound.

Now, if someone decided to adapt AQotWF (or even just WWI in general) into a game, and made an effort to focus on the psychological horror aspects of it, I would buy that shit faster than you could say, "Not only does everyone you care about die horribly, but it's all pointless and ends up giving Hitler an excuse to manipulate Germany into making him its Evil Overlord."

Megametalwolf :

Right, because he doesn't make borderline offensive jokes about Americans or any other group relevant to, possibly relevant to, or in the same vicinity as the current object of his scorn every other week.

Grow a thicker skin. Stay off the internet until you're finished. For your own good.

JaredXE:

Megametalwolf :

JaredXE:
He's a Brit stuck in Australia, but he's not wrong in his description of the Irish. Actually go to Ireland, most of us are functional alcoholics.

i am irish and i find that offensive to the core and so should you, if you have any pride

Oh please, go to Dublin's temple bar district any time after 5 and you'll see I am right. Having actual pride means being confident and being able to laugh at the little things.

And remember, stereotypes are only stereotypes when a significant portion of the population behaves that way; there is always truth in stereotypes.

My Irish History professor (whose parents emigrated from Ireland) had something very interesting to say about this. Apparently, actual scientific studies have found that a gene responsible for encouraging alcoholism is extremely common among the Irish. However, the general population seems to be aware of this, and a large number of people have decided not to take any chances as a result. So compared to other Western nations, Ireland has a disproportionately large number of both alcoholics and teetotalers. The meetings of the historical temperance movement that occured in Ireland in the 1830s as a result of that same backlash against alcohol just so happened to be very friendly towards Irish nationalists, and ended up encouraging a lot of poor Irish Catholics to start seriously thinking about independence for the first time.

The More You Know(tm).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Days_in_Fallujah

Its not WWI and controversy surrounding it has lost Konami as a publisher but it sounds like it is/was supposed to be a psychological warfare game.

Camel Pimp:
cheese

where the fuck are the mods?

lol anemone!!

Chaotic Neutral:
If someone decided to adapt AQotWF (or even just WWI in general) into a game, and made an effort to focus on the psychological horror aspects of it, I would buy that shit faster than you could say, "Not only does everyone you care about die horribly, but it's all pointless and ends up giving Hitler an excuse to manipulate Germany into making him its Evil Overlord."

Necrovision

I liked The Saboteur. Fair enough, the gameplay is pretty uninspired and borrows liberally from other games in the genre, but the setting, ambience & atmosphere take it beyond the likes of Infamous, Saints Row, Mercenaries, Red Faction Guerilla and Assassin's Creed. Blowing up the freeplay targets never gets boring (I've got all the trophies for doing them), the driving is excellent, the shooting is well done, the stealth is neither too easy nor too difficult and the black & white style is incredibly pretty & evocative.

Megametalwolf :

Woah, you know he was only joking.

Talk about spoilers, and in the first few seconds no less!

Tekyro:

PiraCee:
See more from ZP here
http://re1ease.net/tv-shows/zero-punctuation/index.html

You mean, as opposed to here? Y'know, where it's meant to be?

Can we tell the mod's of this url so we can report it?

I liked how the Nazi used his friend as a human cannon in the end credits.

Man this is the second time Yahtzee's ripped on a game and its made me kinda wanna play it. Guess I'll see if this is $2 on steam like everything else atm.

Megametalwolf :

JaredXE:

Supp:

Megametalwolf :

Except, Yahtzee is Australian.

I think you missed the point. Yahtzee was highlighting the tendency for game companies to think that gamers will only regard foreigners through stereotypes, so they will not take an interest in a game in which the main character challenges the preconceptions (i.e. a Frenchman ≠ indulgent coward, or a Britishman ≠ stuffy, ponce). Instead, gamers want to play as characters who reinforce those stereotypes (American = rugged, patriot or Irish = down to earth, tough, cool accent). Saboteur follows this trend and embraces the stereotypes whole heartedly. As an Irish person, you should be offended by game's condescending attitude towards the Irish, not Yahtzee's lampshading of it with troll remarks.

After seeing TRS' verdict on this....not so surprised Yahtzee didn't like it much either.

After seeing TRS' verdict on this....not so surprised Yahtzee didn't like it much either.

Edited: oops double post

Actually I think he was a bit harsh, funny, but harsh. I was actually very interested in this game and still not sure. I liked Red faction and I like the Sin-City esque noir. (BTW Nazi flags, igsignia and lamps are colored :P)

The emphasis on "Yeah, everyone loves the Irish" was perfect. This was a great review.

I'm actually really liking this game. Oh wells.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here