Zero Punctuation: Saboteur

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Megametalwolf :
well i find it offensive because what he said is used by most british as a factual statement and has been the bases of oppression for the irish people for years. so thats why

Quoted for Truth.

Lowbreed:
You irish people are ridiculous! (Wow, I'm totally judging all of you!)
Seriously though, what's with all the joy killing and whining? Get over yourselves, no one really cares or takes his 'racism' seriously. (that said no one with a brain takes any racism seriously).
I find the game quite fun, though some missions are really annoying and always make you die first to get the hint (like he said), and the driving from A to B over and over is ridiculous.

The alcohol and stupidity comments were a stereotype created by the British to demean Irish people and to help justify the occupation and repression of our country.

One of the reasons we got the 'stupid' stereotype is because at one point in our history the British made it illegal for us to be educated.

The constant potatoe jibes we get is because of a famine that killed over a million of us, and forced another million (or at least the million who survived the coffin ships) to emigrate... almost half the current population of the country. The Famine is also now called a holocaust by historians because it was so devastating. This is like laughing at the Jews by chanting the word 'oven'.

As regards Alcohol we are no different from the British and the Germans.

Its bad enough when we get this stereotyped crap from people who genuinely don't realise how its origins have its basis in repression but when it comes from an Englishman who does know or at the very least has a damn good idea where it comes from, it moves from being annoying into being offensive.

To put this whole thing into a context you'd probably grasp a little better, Imagine a game review where someone from texas mocks a black character for being a water melon slurping, fried chicken eating stupid *********** etc.

I know ZP ripped on the British and French as well, but there was a Monkey Island review a few episodes back where he ripped on the Irish in exactly the same manner recycling every piss poor cliche and stereotype and to see this shit re-emerge again for yet another review starts to get very annoying.

Megametalwolf :
what you said about the irish is very offensive man, you show your british colours with this you fucking english cunt

Funny how you mentioned "Offensive," yet proceed to call him a "fucking english cunt."

Just thought that was quite humorous.

OT: This was an improvement from last week's Demon's Souls review, and I thoroughly enjoyed this one quite a bit.

I think those who are getting a little offended by the Irish comments need to grow some thicker skin, and/or acknowledge who it's coming from.

Can't take a joke? Stay out of the comedy club. Simple as that.

Usually, I can't wait for Wednesdays to see it and it is probably the main reason I even return here. However, this weeks was rather lame and last weeks was non-existant.

pimppeter2:
I do dislike French people

As your invasion statements have shown. :D

Furburt:

The Cake Is Annoying:

Oh bravo. Bravo. Lets all give Micromentalwool a big round of applause for being so courageous to defending sweet innocent Ireland from this err... British Australian games critic.

God knows what would happen if this son of Cu Chulainn hadn't so courageously in whining ethic slurrs pseudonymously on the internet. Something unimaginable to be sure to be sure bygorrah...

While he is overreacting, you are segueing into racism yourself there man.

Fair point, I may be sailing close to the wind on that one. Sorry.

To get back on topic, I didn't find Yahtzee's depiction of the Irish offensive. And I've lived in Ireland long enough to remember when car bombs and Brits out weren't something that were just flamebait on the internet. They were real weapons and a real hatred that got real people killed. Funerals were held, lives were ruined on all sides. Payback was promised, sworn. It was a bloody and vicious cycle.

That the North isn't self destructing anymore is as much a modern miracle as a lasting peace in the middle east. A generation or two ago it was that hard to imagine.

So when Megametalwolf starts shooting his mouth off at Yahtzee because Megametalwolf is an internet tough guy fancy dressing as Irish rebel, it pisses me off. The one thing that makes me proud to be Irish is being alive when it was decided "enough is enough". And what he says really hits a nerve for people like me who are old enough to remember what putting four foot boxes in the ground feels like.

If you want a 3 dimensional take on the Irish, without the cheap potato jokes and stereotypes, that's fine. But its not the fault of lazy developers in the US responsible. If you do some research on the realities of life in Ireland today and its recent history and quickly you'll realise the alcoholism jokes become some of the LEAST offensive and universally recognised touchstones to use to build Irish characterization.

"Besides, nobody likes the French".

I like the French.

Perpetuating animosity and stereotyping caused by stale centuries old national rivalry, masked as humor; not so much.

chiefohara:

Lowbreed:
snip

snipsnip

That isn't the point, and while I'm sure you had to suffer from all that (haha you personally yeah right), the point is that it's yahtzee and there is absolutely no point in whining about any 'racism' he sprouts in his (comical) reviews. I wouldn't see a point in taking his racism seriously, as with a stand up comedian ripping on some country (unless he's a blatant racist cunt). Hell if there were a swiss main character he could call me a nazi gold taking yodelling money grabbing racist cunt, but really I wouldn't care.

Point is, why would you even bother defending your 'honour' against someone like yahtzee?

EDIT: Are you people in this thread right now the sort of person who would call a tv network because you are outraged at a nipple slip? Sure seems like it, and if so, what the hell are you doing watching ZP. Just leave.

I cant believe a games review is re-enacting the Battle of Arklow. I thought we were over all this shit. Yahtzee pokes fun of everyone, its just his silly messed up rude way of doing things

Wow, I watched the review and I just knew that the Irish stereotype bashing would steal the game's thunder.

I suppose this is what happens when somebody of British origins pokes fun at the Irish, even in a totally non-inflammatory way.

Some Irish people really surprise me; it really is totally illogical to bear a grudge towards the British people of today for things that their ancestors are responsible for. They constantly self-victimize and seize the moral high ground, forgetting that there's as much blood on our hands as is likely on theirs. We committed acts of atrocious violence too; we can't just say it was all justified and immaterial because of things the British did.

History and heritage are important, yes, but they shouldn't promote hatred and resentment of people today. I wonder how many of those who claim to be so patriotic know all the intricacies of what is a very complicated history, and how many of them who so resent the imposition of English can, say, speak Irish? Agus, roimh a deir sibh "I bet you can't speak Irish, you Protestant prick" is doigh liom go bhfuil me direach tar eis sin a leiru, go raibh maith agaibh. (Fada marks omitted for formatting; they wouldn't display.)

I don't mean to be invective by this, I just don't think people should berate or judge Yahtzee for utilizing what is, after all, a common stereotype of an Irishman which we should all be able to laugh at.

OT: I was sorta on the fence about The Saboteur I guess I'll have to look into it a bit more but it isn't looking very good...

Megametalwolf :

Harmondale2:

Megametalwolf :
what you said about the irish is very offensive man, you show your british colours with this you fucking english cunt

Hey Michael Collins, the fight for independence is over? So seriously quit your bitching. I'm Irish and do you see me complaining? I can't help but laugh at the funny accents and guinness jokes, you know why, because its a "joke". Its not racist unless theres genuine hatred behind it. We're always making jokes about guinness and the funny accents where I am because its all so rediculiously untrue. Lighten up dude. Are you even Irish for that matter?

On a side note, I hate most of the americans that come over here, why do they need to yell everything? and I've honestly been asked if leprechauns exist... god save us all...

yes im irish full blooded born of the land, im sorry but its that type of talk that gets the iish into this, have some pride mate. oh and by the way if you look through my post you will see a clear cut reason.

Pride? are you seriously one of these people who thinks theres something so special about you just because your irish?(or iish as you put it) There is nothing special about you or anyone else, we're all just people, being irish or french or british dosn't make you better then anyone else. People thinking their "better" then another group of people is how real racism starts! So really your more of a racist then any joke making comedian here. Am I right people?

ianrocks6495:
Jeez, what happened? All you Irish people have you panties in a bunch. (And I refuse to call it anything less silly.)

Well, apart from us Irish who have said we weren't offended.

Also, I think we need more people to just read the first few comments and to point out that Yahtzee Croshaw is British and not Australian. Because we haven't been reminded of that enough times yet.

dear chief

we (the unbeaten polish http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivgCD31iKyg) and the irish are a the last stand of honor and truth. All the english cunts can do is throw fckng insults pi#ur way coiuse it takes 25 if germanoenglish cock suckas to take one of us down and thats after we toke a 10 pint dose of 5%up real man beer(not the gay marriage 4% one) kicck yourt arrse!!!!!!!!!!!!

chiefohara:

Lowbreed:
You irish people are ridiculous! (Wow, I'm totally judging all of you!)
Seriously though, what's with all the joy killing and whining? Get over yourselves, no one really cares or takes his 'racism' seriously. (that said no one with a brain takes any racism seriously).
I find the game quite fun, though some missions are really annoying and always make you die first to get the hint (like he said), and the driving from A to B over and over is ridiculous.

The alcohol and stupidity comments were a stereotype created by the British to demean Irish people and to help justify the occupation and repression of our country.

One of the reasons we got the 'stupid' stereotype is because at one point in our history the British made it illegal for us to be educated.

The constant potatoe jibes we get is because of a famine that killed over a million of us, and forced another million (or at least the million who survived the coffin ships) to emigrate... almost half the current population of the country. The Famine is also now called a holocaust by historians because it was so devastating. This is like laughing at the Jews by chanting the word 'oven'.

As regards Alcohol we are no different from the British and the Germans.

Its bad enough when we get this stereotyped crap from people who genuinely don't realise how its origins have its basis in repression but when it comes from an Englishman who does know or at the very least has a damn good idea where it comes from, it moves from being annoying into being offensive.

To put this whole thing into a context you'd probably grasp a little better, Imagine a game review where someone from texas mocks a black character for being a water melon slurping, fried chicken eating stupid *********** etc.

I know ZP ripped on the British and French as well, but there was a Monkey Island review a few episodes back where he ripped on the Irish in exactly the same manner recycling every piss poor cliche and stereotype and to see this shit re-emerge again for yet another review starts to get very annoying.

dear chief

we (the unbeaten polish http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivgCD31iKyg) and the irish are a the last stand of honor and truth. All the english cunts can do is throw fckng insults pi#ur way coiuse it takes 25 if germanoenglish cock suckas to take one of us down and thats after we toke a 10 pint dose of 5%up real man beer(not the gay marriage 4% one) kicck yourt arrse!!!!!!!!!!!!

lobotoja:
dear chief

Uh, what the heck was that?

Harmondale2:

Megametalwolf :

Harmondale2:

Megametalwolf :

Hey Michael Collins, the fight for independence is over? So seriously quit your bitching. I'm Irish and do you see me complaining? I can't help but laugh at the funny accents and guinness jokes, you know why, because its a "joke". Its not racist unless theres genuine hatred behind it. We're always making jokes about guinness and the funny accents where I am because its all so rediculiously untrue. Lighten up dude. Are you even Irish for that matter?

On a side note, I hate most of the americans that come over here, why do they need to yell everything? and I've honestly been asked if leprechauns exist... god save us all...

yes im irish full blooded born of the land, im sorry but its that type of talk that gets the iish into this, have some pride mate. oh and by the way if you look through my post you will see a clear cut reason.

Pride? are you seriously one of these people who thinks theres something so special about you just because your irish?(or iish as you put it) There is nothing special about you or anyone else, we're all just people, being irish or french or british dosn't make you better then anyone else. People thinking their "better" then another group of people is how real racism starts! So really your more of a racist then any joke making comedian here. Am I right people?

Very true, you sir have a point.
There is nothing special about anyone you are all from the same gene pool yes it sickens me to think that I'm in the same species as you, you Megametalwolf you bloody moron, this guy that started this whole argument makes me feel ashamed to be in the same species as them, no not because they are from a different place as me but they are so unrelentingly stupid. I really do not care if you were offended if you are too childish to realise that you should get the hell out of my internets until you can speak to us adults.

Now if nobody minds I have to go oppress some Irishmen.

Damn, already so many pages of comments.

Well to add my little (worthless) gem to the pile, I really have to comment today about the small animation during the end credits.

I usually get a good chuckle out of the two captions and 3 - 5 frames of cute after-though animation between the imps and people, but today's really made me laugh.

I hadn't expected the "torpedo ass!, away!" and it's still making me smile.

So hats off and here's to more cute end-episode animations!
addendum:
Oh alright I liked the review too and he has a point, there's just not much left to do to the Nazi now that we've killed them in every contrived way...

...and we end the year making fun of the French, cheese, and killin' Nazis (he said in his best Lt. Aldo Raine impersonation.)

Thanks for another year of hilariously informative game reviews!

...now where can I find a jar of Branston Pickle in Seattle?...

The whole black and white to colour thing sounds pretty cool.

Not too bothered about this game though.

Good video as always.

fraser123:

Harmondale2:

Megametalwolf :

Harmondale2:

Megametalwolf :

There is nothing special about anyone you are all from the same gene pool yes it sickens me to think that I'm in the same species as you, you Megametalwolf you bloody moron, this guy that started this whole argument makes me feel ashamed to be in the same species as them, no not because they are from a different place as me but they are so unrelentingly stupid. I really do not care if you were offended if you are too childish to realise that you should get the hell out of my internets until you can speak to us adults.

areryou brithish...otherwise there is no explenation to no tgetting it except MORON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the bri

TraumaHound:
...and we end the year making fun of the French, cheese, and killin' Nazis (he said in his best Lt. Aldo Raine impersonation.)

the english cock suckka shop on upyuourbunghole Street ;]

I couldn't tell if you liked the game or not Yahtzee.... :(

I enjoyed it thoroughly. Like GTA meets Hogans Heroes and made love to a retarded version of Assassins Creed. I beat it yesterday and the ending was extremely anticlimactic. I was expecting way more considering all the shit I had to go through to get to the end lol.

TraumaHound:

Go to any local gorcery store and ask where their british import foods are. Better yet....since you are in Seattle, go to Rosauers. I'm a dairy manager at that chain and I know we carry it where I live so they can get it too! (If they don't have it in stock that is) :D

Ghostwise:
Better yet....since you are in Seattle, go to Rosauers. I'm a dairy manager at that chain and I know we carry it where I live so they can get it too! (If they don't have it in stock that is) :D

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, according the Rosauer's site, the closest location to Seattle is in Ellensburg; a bit of a trek for an imported relish-like spread. I'll poke around downtown on a day off, I'm sure there's an import-foods shop I can find it in.

lobotoja:

fraser123:

Harmondale2:

Megametalwolf :

Harmondale2:

Megametalwolf :

areryou brithish...otherwise there is no explenation to no tgetting it except MORON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you British? Otherwise there is no explanation to not getting it except MORON!
Now that been fixed, yes I am British well English actually but for national identities sake I am British and there is an explanation other than "MORON", it's that us people with brains realise there is nothing to get just a pathetic little man who thinks he is special wining because someone insulted him ,and does not know how to respond other than swearing and shouting about it on an internet forum for a comedic games reviewer, you are propagating the stereotype that Yahtzee brought up, with that reply but believe me, it's not hard to join us enlightened beings. All you need to do is re watch the video and when he says "Irish people are thick" (or something along those lines) laugh think oh well that was moderately amusing rather than "urgh me been insulted errr ....... I must inform the internet about this they care" and thus spoil the conversation for the intellectually superior people whom were not bothered by this video in any extent.

Now Fuck off you knuckle dragger I don't care if your Irish Swedish Bosnian Serbian your still a cunt learn to laugh.

TraumaHound:

Ghostwise:
Better yet....since you are in Seattle, go to Rosauers. I'm a dairy manager at that chain and I know we carry it where I live so they can get it too! (If they don't have it in stock that is) :D

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, according the Rosauer's site, the closest location to Seattle is in Ellensburg; a bit of a trek for an imported relish-like spread. I'll poke around downtown on a day off, I'm sure there's an import-foods shop I can find it in.

Curses! I thought for sure we had a store in Seattle. My bad. Good luck! BTW I tried the Branston pickle. Didn't think it was that good lol.

cyzrane:
snip

While I agree with you, I will contest one point and say that it isn't totally in the past.

Many people in my family, some quite recent, have been killed and maimed by the British Army, most of them totally innocent, so I doubt it will be too easy for me to forget.

Seriously, though, to all my fellow patriotic Irishmen and women around here, this is not the place to fight. This isn't going to get you anywhere.

Save it for when we actually have to fight.

Harmondale2:

Megametalwolf :

Harmondale2:

Megametalwolf :

did i ever say i was better than anyone else no get your facts right, so me being full of pride is a racist thing

OMG, WWII scenario. And OMG Yatzeeh says awful things about tasty cheese.

I thought he liked AC2. Hw aobut for once, you play a wehrmacht soldier fighting red soldiers on the eastern front? That'd be a refreshing change for once.

I wasn't expecting this to turn into a half racial debate. Valid points on the defense, it can be offensive, but it also could be said it's an overreaction. I think the key difference here is that he was making a joke no one should take seriously as opposed to one that relies on being at someone else's expense.

zelda2fanboy:
Fittingly, the only people defending the Irish on this board are either American or Irish.

America: Oppressing minority groups and then later embracing them to a uncomfortable extent years later - since 1776.

I'll admit I was fairly suspicious of the Irish when I learned the Americans like them, A LOT, but to be honest I think it's just a bunch of stupid Americans who completely blew one aspect of Irishmen's personalities (assuming everyone in Ireland, and indeed any country are all uniformly one personality, which is wrong) and made a bunch of statues of them with the gold they like so damn much. (And used so much that gold is now over-priced, and is no longer a safe haven for the first time in human history. The Americans have managed to even ruin gold. Well done.) So I can hardly get angry at the Irish for drinking beer and making stories about rainbows when it's mostly just the Americans being idiots.

Now you said that only the Irish and Americans have defended the Irish, well I'm Canadian and I am defending them because I don't see why I shouldn't. The way I see it, the British invaded, oppressed them, and then called the OPPRESSED AND POSSIBLY VERY MISERABLE Irish stupid for drinking. Because it's so out of the ordinary for people to drink when they're depressed/oppressed. I don't really know the history of the area, but I'm not a fan of invaders calling the invaded country stupid. It sounds like a tactic to convince the voting public that it's justified. It sounds like imperialist propaganda.

Was there even this much of a stink the four or five times he's made fun of America?

Lonan:

I'll admit I was fairly suspicious of the Irish when I learned the Americans like them, A LOT, but to be honest I think it's just a bunch of stupid Americans who completely blew one aspect of Irishmen's personalities (assuming everyone in Ireland, and indeed any country are all uniformly one personality, which is wrong) and made a bunch of statues of them with the gold they like so damn much. (And used so much that gold is now over-priced, and is no longer a safe haven for the first time in human history. The Americans have managed to even ruin gold. Well done.) So I can hardly get angry at the Irish for drinking beer and making stories about rainbows when it's mostly just the Americans being idiots.

Gold statues in America? I must live in the wrong part.

Anyway, the whole "Americans like Irish" thing probably comes from Americans with Irish ancestry (of which there are plenty). Taking possibly too much pride in "the old country" is something that happens to some Americans.

Pyromaniac1337:
Went a LITTLE bit overboard with the Nazi territory there Yahtzee. They didn't control ALL of Europe, and technically Italy controlled most of North Africa.

They only controlled it until they screwed up so bad that 30,000 British troops captured 200,000 Italian troops out of like 250,000 Italian troops total. Italy screwed up so badly the Germans had to intervene.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here