The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2009: Jordan

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2009: Jordan

Features Editor Jordan Deam shares his five favorite games of 2009.

Read Full Article

Modern Warfare 2 on the top...Well that DA 2 - MW 1.

Although glad to see I wasnt the only one who enjoyed Shadow Complex =D Great fun!

i'm getting more and more tempted by uncharted 2...

Jaredin:
Modern Warfare 2 on the top...Well that DA 2 - MW 1.

Shall we start taking bets on the overall winner?

Modern Warfare 2 is all well and good, but the blood on screen (or in the player's eyes?) looks like strawberry jam.

I cannot play that game for more than 10 minutes without needing jam.

Now I wanna play Shadow Complex again...but its just a trial since I'm disconnected from Live. Glad to see SC get some love. I downloaded it, and didn't stop playing until I beat it. Got the last few items for 100% the next morning.

Amarok:
Modern Warfare 2 is all well and good, but the blood on screen (or in the player's eyes?) looks like strawberry jam.

I cannot play that game for more than 10 minutes without needing jam.

Someone say jam?

Good list Jordan. Thats it i wont say more.

Can't download Spelunky. Something may have crashed the download site.

I'm excited to see someone else enjoy Spelunky

dragon age c-c-combo breaker, surprised to see smaller games, browser games at that on a favorite list, its either admirable or a sign that you're on work to much (and do very little work while there).

Love Spelunky. Game's fricking hard to get used to, though. The randomness sometimes ads a horrible amount to the difficulty.

MW2 just bores me, though. Not sure why, but I think it's mostly due to the lack of anything really new to it, and the absence of dedicated servers for the PC meaning a distinct lack of community. Ah well, guess that means more TF2 for my shooter fix.

I've started playing spelunky because I'm a sucker for 8-bit graphics (they make me feel nostalgic), but I can't figure out how to open crates =/ *sigh* o' where can the open crate button be?

Otherwise, great list! I also loved Time Fcuk. That game was really addictive, but I had to stop playing because it really started to get inside my head and creep me out o_o

Time Fcuk was a great game. Eventually, I got a bit bored by it, then I noticed that I'd been playing for three hours.

I love games like Spelunky and POWDER.

I'm off to download Spelunky right now. I've just got this thing for retro-style platformers, especially free ones :D.

Pixel needs a new project...

I'm surprised Arkham Asylum is underperforming in these.

DA:O is great fun though, thoroughly enjoying my first playthrough at the mo.

miracleofsound:

Some things to keep in mind:

1. Cutting lists down to five was haaaaard. Even if we really liked a game, it may have only just barely missed out.

2. Not everyone played everything. I may be wrong, but I don't think Jordan played Dragon Age, I didn't play Batman, Russ didn't play Assassin's Creed 2.

Must...remember... that it is their FAVOURITES... and as such opinions...

*Slaps self*

Anywho good list. I'm still waiting patiently for Dead space to download... at 972 bytes a second.

I wonder if AssCreed 2 will be on someones list :P

Woo! Spelunky! I have to agree with it being one of the best games of the year. So. Much. Fun. And so many deaths, too...

It has a single-player campaign!? I never knew that, I was busy obsessing about achievements.

I liked Dolphin Olympics 2.

Aside from that, it's a pretty good list.

at least he knew we would complain, but anyway nice job with the video, can't say much about most the games thought, don't own that many of them.

cool list. i will defiantly try out some of these games.

Susan Arendt:

miracleofsound:

Some things to keep in mind:

1. Cutting lists down to five was haaaaard. Even if we really liked a game, it may have only just barely missed out.

2. Not everyone played everything. I may be wrong, but I don't think Jordan played Dragon Age, I didn't play Batman, Russ didn't play Assassin's Creed 2.

I can imagine... it's hard enough for us to compile our own top 5s, even without the pressure of them going up on display for thousands of people!

And I highly recommend giving Arkham Asylum a try if you get a chance, even if you are not a big Batman fan it's an enjoyable, technically great adventure with a very deep storyline.

AC2 is probably my personal choice but yeah, it's hard to pick when there were so many great ones out this year.

Need to really pick up Uncharted 2.
As for MW2 being No. 1....If someone could explain the storyline, and how lag filled games, where being shot in the back almost every time are decent, I'd be happy to listen. I think the key phrase is "More detailed maps than anything Infinity Ward has produced before". That's pretty much like saying it's the fastest time a paraplegic has ran...

Thanks for turning us on to a great game like Time Fcuk.

I DISAGREE!

I like how he puts down the single player audience when talks about MWF:2, way to make us feel like douches for not liking multiplayer shoe-horned into every game we buy. (For those wondering its when he says "It also has a single player campaign....if you're into that)

While I wholeheartedly disagree with his list, its HIS list and HIS opinion so I won't sit here and go on a nerd rant about it.

KeyMaster45:
I like how he puts down the single player audience when talks about MWF:2, way to make us feel like douches for not liking multiplayer shoe-horned into every game we buy. (For those wondering its when he says "It also has a single player campaign....if you're into that)

While I wholeheartedly disagree with his list, its HIS list and HIS opinion so I won't sit here and go on a nerd rant about it.

Um, given the rest of his list - consisting entirely of single-player games - I think it's a safe play to say that it was a joke about how much more he cares about the multiplayer in MW2 as opposed to the singleplayer. And that's a game where I hardly think the multiplayer is shoehorned in.

I very much agree with your list, and Shadow Complex sounds like something that I'd love, so thanks for pointing me to it. But I object to this:

Jordan Deam:
In fact, I typically find that games with the fewest concessions to storytelling are the ones that grab me most - games like Portal ("Escape from this laboratory!")

Portal's story is possibly one of the most unique and (more importantly) engaging stories that I've ever encountered in a video game. And I know that I'm not the only one who feels this way, every time I hear someone quote a certain meme about a deceptive confection. Also, you don't even know that you're trying to escape from the lab until halfway through the game, so...

CantFaketheFunk:

KeyMaster45:

Um, given the rest of his list - consisting entirely of single-player games - I think it's a safe play to say that it was a joke about how much more he cares about the multiplayer in MW2 as opposed to the singleplayer. And that's a game where I hardly think the multiplayer is shoehorned in.

I didn't mean that it was shoe-horned into MWF:2, I understand very well that its a game built for multiplayer. It was just the way he made the comment about the single player campaign felt like he was making out people who enjoy a single player experience are weird. I'm not sure how I can explain it better, I know there's a better way to explain it but the method escapes me.

Glad to see Time F*** get a mention. That is probably my favorite freeware title of all time... But I did have to look up a couple of the puzzles near the end because they were so complex and the game doesn't save.

Hey, it was late, alright?

nice list now i really wanna try that spelunky game !!

Am i one of the few who doesn't see MW2 as a good game? I'm not gonna say its bad but it isn't good. I'm not gonna spend anything over 40 bucks on it.

Khada:
I DISAGREE!

Might want to elaborate on that.

Donnyp:
Am i one of the few who doesn't see MW2 as a good game? I'm not gonna say its bad but it isn't good. I'm not gonna spend anything over 40 bucks on it.

I'm sure if you look around the forums a bit you'll find it's a rather commonly held opinion that MW2 is not a good game, you're not alone or in a minority in thinking that.

I love it, but it hurts me and makes me sad. I'm like that dumb Twilight chick.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here