Stolen Pixels #156: 2009

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Stolen Pixels #156: 2009

It's been a good four decades of games. Here's to a good four more.

Read Full Article

Taking me back in my years, lol. Still hard to imagine some games been so old, but, a great timeline!

Oh, I had so much fun playing Donkey Kong during my childhood... and I'll never know how I managed to beat it in the end, I only wish I was still tat good at it... or could even find it...
Makes you realise how much has happened when you see that timeline...

Pong to MW2, gameplay wise, has not come far.

Pong: It's a ball going from a line to another
MW2: It's bullets going from person to person

Yay! One more year of Stolen Pixels!
OT: Wow....I knew Half-life would be mentioned at least once.

Nice comic, but out of all the stuff that came out in 2009, the best you could come up with was Modern Warfare 2? A game that did nothing to advance its genre and inovate it in any way? Kinda seems out of place...

Wow. I can only imagine how much work it must have been to put that comic together! Great work, Shamus!

I remember playing Pong at a friend's house in 1978(ish). I would have been 11 years old. I wasn't very good at it.

Leslee

Greyfox105:
Oh, I had so much fun playing Donkey Kong during my childhood... and I'll never know how I managed to beat it in the end, I only wish I was still tat good at it... or could even find it...

As in the old arcade game?

You do realise that you can't "Beat it"?

Zenode:

Greyfox105:
Oh, I had so much fun playing Donkey Kong during my childhood... and I'll never know how I managed to beat it in the end, I only wish I was still that good at it... or could even find it...

No, the one on the Gameboy. Arcade machines are pretty rare around where I live.

Greyfox105:

Zenode:

Greyfox105:
Oh, I had so much fun playing Donkey Kong during my childhood... and I'll never know how I managed to beat it in the end, I only wish I was still that good at it... or could even find it...

No, the one on the Gameboy. Arcade machines are pretty rare around where I live.

lol ok then, because i had a massive facepalm moment when i thought you were referring to the one on the old Arcade machines haha.

I remember Donkey Kong Country on the SNES, that shit was challenging...come to think of it, most Donkey Kong games have been pretty hard

We have come a long way...

Also, holy shit. Morrowind. It's 7 fucking years old. And 7 + 1330 = 1337.

See the conspiracy?

What do you mean where's the punchline ? "2009 - Modern Warfare 2"

Wow, Modern Warfare 2 huh?

It's a wonder how much money Kotick can spread around, isn't it?

way too many wrpgs, but hey, that's just an opinion.

Happy new year everybody!

Very nice list. I completely forgot about Dig Dug. That was fun...

1997 - What happened to GoldenEye? Aww, well. Not that important, I guess.

37 years? An interesting anniversy to pick ;) But indeed, it has been an overall good 37 years of gaming; and may many more follow!

Awww, that's really an awesome comic.
To all those wonderful years of gaming yet to come, everyone.

There were a few years which were incredibly dense with titles and it was impossible to do them justice. 1998, 1999, and 2004 were all huge years with multiple earth-shaking titles all showing up together.

Awww... you're not going to just say that and not give us a quick list for those years, are you? I mean, I could go do the research myself, but you've already done it, and if you posted it here then we wouldn't ALL have to go do it, and anyways I want effortless gratification and I want it now!

(Please?)

Dev Null:
There were a few years which were incredibly dense with titles and it was impossible to do them justice. 1998, 1999, and 2004 were all huge years with multiple earth-shaking titles all showing up together.

Awww... you're not going to just say that and not give us a quick list for those years, are you? I mean, I could go do the research myself, but you've already done it, and if you posted it here then we wouldn't ALL have to go do it, and anyways I want effortless gratification and I want it now!

(Please?)

1998:

StarCraft, Unreal, Fallout 2, Grim Fandango, Half-Life, Thief: The Dark Project, Baldur's Gate

Look at that. FIVE huge franchises launched that year.

1999:

System Shock 2, Quake III Arena, Unreal Tournament, Planescape: Torment, Age of Empires II, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, Homeworld, Outcast, Rollercoaster Tycoon

Three franchises launched. (Unreal Tournament, Homeworld, and RCT)

2004:

FarCry, Thief: Deadly Shadows, Doom 3, Fable, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, EverQuest II, Half-Life 2, World of Warcraft, The Sims 2.

Jandau:
Nice comic, but out of all the stuff that came out in 2009, the best you could come up with was Modern Warfare 2? A game that did nothing to advance its genre and inovate it in any way? Kinda seems out of place...

mlkjhgfds:
What do you mean where's the punchline ? "2009 - Modern Warfare 2"

Mantonio:
Wow, Modern Warfare 2 huh?

It's a wonder how much money Kotick can spread around, isn't it?

-"My goal wasn't to pick out the "best" game of each year, but to pick out a historically significant title"

-MW2 is biggest game launch of all time, and still ridiculously popular online.

CantFaketheFunk:
-"My goal wasn't to pick out the "best" game of each year, but to pick out a historically significant title"

-MW2 is biggest game launch of all time, and still ridiculously popular online.

I know the goal wasn't to pick the best game, but rather the significant ones, that's why I found MW2 a perplexing choice. As I said, the game is in no way significant. As for its launch, it wasn't THAT big. "Significantly large" is World of Warcraft compared to all the MMOs before it (and after it), bringing the MMO genre into the mainstream spotlight. MW2 was bigger than most games at launch, but not by several orders of magnitude.

I was just a bit suprised at the choice for 2009. I'd have went for, say, Demon's Souls or something like that...

Zenode:

Greyfox105:

The old cabinet style arcade games can be beat. Watch the documentary The King of Kong: A Fist Full of Quarters. The doc itself takes some liberties with its subjects, but it shows what the end of "King Kong" looks like.

Jandau:
I know the goal wasn't to pick the best game, but rather the significant ones, that's why I found MW2 a perplexing choice. As I said, the game is in no way significant. As for its launch, it wasn't THAT big. "Significantly large" is World of Warcraft compared to all the MMOs before it (and after it), bringing the MMO genre into the mainstream spotlight. MW2 was bigger than most games at launch, but not by several orders of magnitude.

I was just a bit suprised at the choice for 2009. I'd have went for, say, Demon's Souls or something like that...

From Wikipedia:

According to preliminary sales figures from Activision, Modern Warfare 2 sold approximately 4.7 million units in both the United States and the UK in the first 24 hours of its release. The total revenue from first day sales in the U.S. and the UK was $310 million, making Modern Warfare 2 the biggest entertainment launch in history, surpassing (in revenue) its predecessor, Grand Theft Auto IV,[76][77] as well as items from other media types.[78][79] After five days of sales, the game had earned revenue figures of $550 million worldwide.[80] Activision also claims that Modern Warfare 2 had 8 million players online within the first five days, constituting the largest 'army' of players in the world.[81]

Actually Tennis for two was the first game ever. It was made in 58.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_for_two

Darkstar370:
From Wikipedia:

According to preliminary sales figures from Activision, Modern Warfare 2 sold approximately 4.7 million units in both the United States and the UK in the first 24 hours of its release. The total revenue from first day sales in the U.S. and the UK was $310 million, making Modern Warfare 2 the biggest entertainment launch in history, surpassing (in revenue) its predecessor, Grand Theft Auto IV,[76][77] as well as items from other media types.[78][79] After five days of sales, the game had earned revenue figures of $550 million worldwide.[80] Activision also claims that Modern Warfare 2 had 8 million players online within the first five days, constituting the largest 'army' of players in the world.[81]

Well, I'm proud of you for being able to look things up on Wikipedia, but I don't see what your point is...

Every game on the list from 1991 on is a PC game, and quite a few of them are RTS. Huh.

Do you honestly believe that Duke Nukem 3D is more historically significant than Super Mario 64? What about Final Fantasy VII, which basically popularized JRPGs in the west like no game before it?

P.S. Thanks

Jandau:

Darkstar370:
From Wikipedia:

Well, I'm proud of you for being able to look things up on Wikipedia, but I don't see what your point is...

You're saying you can't see how the biggest-selling piece of entertainment in history is historically significant?

Okay then.

It's hard to imagine (to my stand point) on how far we've come in Gameplay, Graphics, audio, etc. HURRAY for technology! :D

Shamus Young:
You're saying you can't see how the biggest-selling piece of entertainment in history is historically significant?

Okay then.

If I may, I think he's saying that there are better choices you could take from this year that would better reflect the positive aspect of the gaming industry. MewTwo is indeed historically significant, but it is also a bit of a stain on the multicolored quilt that is the video games industry for many gamers.

Shamus Young:

Okay then.

Sigh... Thankfully, someone else got what I was trying to say:

theSovietConnection:
If I may, I think he's saying that there are better choices you could take from this year that would better reflect the positive aspect of the gaming industry. MewTwo is indeed historically significant, but it is also a bit of a stain on the multicolored quilt that is the video games industry for many gamers.

The game cashed in. While that's nice, I still don't consider it a significant game, or at least not as significant as some other titles this year...

I think deciding the historical impact of 2009 in 2009 is impossible. Or 2008 or even a few years earlier for that matter. Picking the big splash makes sense to me considering that the suggested alternative was a game I had to look up (not a bash against the game, just saying that gaining consensus now on anything *but* economic factors is impossible).

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee @ Dig Dug.

Jandau:
The game cashed in. While that's nice, I still don't consider it a significant game, or at least not as significant as some other titles this year...

And I think treating it as an invalid choice is completely unreasonable. You didn't just imply that there were better choices, you acted like it was completely unreasonable to include a game which...

Brace for all caps mode:

OUTSOLD EVERY OTHER VIDEOGAME, BOOK, MUSIC, AND MOVIE IN THE HISTORY OF THE HUMAN RACE.

End all caps mode.

Second-guessing the list is part of the conversation here, and by all means offer your own suggestions. There were lots of great titles this year and it will be interesting to see which ones are still being played five years from now. But the position that MW2 shouldn't be considered is simply untenable.

Shamus Young:

Jandau:

And I think treating it as an invalid choice is completely unreasonable. You didn't just imply that there were better choices, you acted like it was completely unreasonable to include a game which...

Brace for all caps mode:

OUTSOLD EVERY OTHER VIDEOGAME, BOOK, MUSIC, AND MOVIE IN THE HISTORY OF THE HUMAN RACE.

End all caps mode.

Second-guessing the list is part of the conversation here, and by all means offer your own suggestions. There were lots of great titles this year and it will be interesting to see which ones are still being played five years from now. But the position that MW2 shouldn't be considered is simply untenable.

Bitter PC gamers, of course.

[/Sigh, that was a joke.]

Man, seeing that Quake 3 picture takes me back...

And I'm suprised you dind't have Tetris on there.

The reason being is that its basically the most recognizable game in the world next to Mario. And you can buy it pretty much anywhere today, you can even search on google and find it as a free-to-play flash game.

But you can't get 'em all I guess.

Although I think Goldeneye for the N64 should have been on there. It basically started console the whole Console FPS generation.

Even compared to todays games, its still freaking amazing.

And even after all these years, whenever someone chooses to play as Oddjob, I still want to punch them in the face with the same passion as I did in 1997.

Ah, the good old days.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or