Stolen Pixels #156: 2009

Pages PREV 1 2 3

I was half expecting it to end on an image of the New Super Mario brothers game... would of been funnier... we came all this way only to turn around.

Dude, *sob* you're making me all nostalgic *snivel*. Stop it man *blub*.

At 32 and gaming since I was about 4 I remember most of that list. Damn I'm a sentimental old fool.

theSovietConnection:

Shamus Young:
OUTSOLD EVERY OTHER VIDEOGAME, BOOK, MUSIC, AND MOVIE IN THE HISTORY OF THE HUMAN RACE.

The Bible would like to have a word with you about the bolded section.

No, it's true... as long as you go by the criteria Activision used to make their claim. Namely, first-24-hour sales only, and in North America and the UK only, and based on total revenue gained (that is, not adjusted for inflation, and not unit sales).

Seems a bit less impressive when you take all of that into account, doesn't it?

Edit: To put this in perspective, MW2 sold around 4.7 million units in those areas in the first 24 hours. The last Harry Potter book sold almost 11 million units in the same areas in the same time period.

Shimeru:
No, it's true... as long as you go by the criteria Activision used to make their claim. Namely, first-24-hour sales only, and in North America and the UK only, and based on total revenue gained (that is, not adjusted for inflation, and not unit sales).

Edit: To put this in perspective, MW2 sold around 4.7 million units in those areas in the first 24 hours. The last Harry Potter book sold almost 11 million units in the same areas in the same time period.

That does seem like something Activision would do. Thanks for bringing that up, good to know.

I liked your list, but I still think that 'Myst' was relevant :)

OMG...I feel sad looking at this list and realizing the literally THOUSANDS of hous of my life that I have spent in front of a computer.

i actually think that duke nukem looks better than god of war, might be the uncanny valley i have heard so much about :)

and it may be because it was the only bioware title i didn't like, but i dont get why mass effect was on there, much like how i don't get how my sister can be related to me.

carpathic:
OMG...I feel sad looking at this list and realizing the literally THOUSANDS of hous of my life that I have spent in front of a computer.

You should not feel sad, be proud of a hobby that has stayed with you all your life. Something that has provided countless hours of entertainment. =)

It is definitely odd that Tetris doesn't appear, and why Episode 1 made the grade instead of just HL2.

Still a decent list though, it's nice to look at.

O man, Ultima 3!! I still remember when I got that for my Nintendo but was too young and foolish to understand what I held in my hands. Now the Nintendo and cartridge are both gone and I am left with nothing but dreams of what could have been.

theSovietConnection:

Shimeru:

That does seem like something Activision would do. Thanks for bringing that up, good to know.

Well that is because it is what they did. They had the best entertainment launch in history, not the best selling product in history.

I'm feeling slightly disappointed that The Witcher doesn't make the appearance on this list, at least as a honorary runner-up. Still, thanks for compiling it, at least to let us youngins know what significant games there have been in the past years..

Really liked the list. It would make a nice poster in my wall, BTW.
And, certainly, MW2 is relevant. Historically relevant doesn't mean "good", nor "revolutionary". But I sure hope upcoming titles get to be relevant for content and gameplay, and not for hype.

ElArabDeMagnifico:

theSovietConnection:

Shimeru:

Well that is because it is what they did. They had the best entertainment launch in history, not the best selling product in history.

They had the best first-day video game sales in history. Not the best entertainment launch unless you go by the gross (and neglect to adjust for inflation). It sold fewer units than many books or movies do, but the revenue was greater because it has a higher price point.

It's still an achievement, but it's not as huge as they're hyping it up to be.

ah evelution^^

Hell yeah KOTOR and Mass Effect! And here's to SWTOR and Mass Effect 2!

Wow gaming really has changed alot.

Really good list. Though I can't understand why Duke Nukem 3D outsmarts Quake or why HL2; EP1 made a bigger smash then Gears of War or Company of Heroes.

MW2 was very significant. It showed us that whilst games are now popular, the masses still don't really get it.

Damn, I played most of them, when they were released, I am becoming ancient!

I'm pretty sure that's a screenshot of Fallout 2, not Fallout.

Nice idea for a New Year strip, though.

:D Deus Ex and Morrowind.

Just want to note that the screenshot for Ultima III is actually Ultima: Exodus, the NES port of Ultima III.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here