Going Gold: Going Gold's Purely Arbitrary Games of the Decade

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Going Gold: Going Gold's Purely Arbitrary Games of the Decade

Ten years of gaming, distilled into its purest list form.

Read Full Article

Majora's Mask was totally awesome, I agree, and it came out the same day as the PS2. While everybody else was in line for that, I felt like an oddball holding an N64 cartridge as I waited.

Arbitrary indeed. I don't know why some of these things are on the list when there are *HUNDREDS* of better games available. In gameplay, innovation, story, and implementation.

*edit*

Also, there are 366 days left until the end of the decade. Your list doesn't start from 0, why should the decade?

Ah! I misunderstood the title for quite some time.

I thought you were listing games which were arbitrary.

Awesome, another Majora's Mask devotee.

The others, they don't know what they're missing, do they?

Wow. Your list really speaks to the innovative side of game, not just the 'Well, the gameplay/story/piddlefarting was good...". I could disagree on some, but your reasons for it were just awesome. A really well thought out list. Well done, sir. Cheers.

RvLeshrac:
Also, there are 366 days left until the end of the decade. Your list doesn't start from 0, why should the decade?

Actually, a decade is 0-9, oddly enough. Most people don't count it as such, but in our base 10 system, 0 (10, 20, 30, etc) is the start of the next set.

BehattedWanderer:
Actually, a decade is 0-9, oddly enough. Most people don't count it as such, but in our base 10 system, 0 (10, 20, 30, etc) is the start of the next set.

Anyone that dealt with programming can easily rap their head around it, at least.

As for the list, a pretty good one, though at this point there are a few games that are unavoidable as a top ten. Silent Hill 2, Halo, Resident Evil 4 and Modern Warfare being just a few of those on each list. But it's not like anyone is wrong for mentioning those games.

I must say, though, that listing ODST as a disappointment is a bit...I dunno. I felt Halo 3 was madly weak in story and execution (huge environments...as long as you were in a vehicle. Battles were "linear", good guys on one end of the room and bad guys on the other. Also, that Cortana level? SO much worse than The Library). ODST felt more like Halo 1 with its focus on atmosphere over balanced gameplay (in other words, Halo 1 was more about putting the odds enough in your foe's favor to make you feel like death was inevitable, something lost in 2 and 3 but regained in ODST). Plus, the story-telling was changed a bit.

Otherwise, I did enjoy the read and don't really find any of your opinions to be questionable.

But after Resident Evil 4, RE5 had to be the greatest disappointment in a long time.

God, I loved Mario Galaxy.

Well, certainl a list. I can respect why you feel that way on those games.

Certainly intresting read at the very least

Majora's Mask was nothing short of EPIC.

This was a fantastic article. And Majora's Mask is one of the best Legend of Zelda games I've ever played. I'll playing on the Wii while I was reading this article too. (Day 2)

Your word choice confuses me a little; you listed some really great games and gave them great praise, so why call them arbitrary?

Also, I'm glad somebody else feels that way about Majora's Mask. I honestly think it's the best Zelda game.

Majora's Mask was nothing short of amazing. I don't care if the majority of people think Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess were the best. Majora's Mask is the one that stands out, and has left a larger impression than any other Zelda game.

And I have to disagree with you on your point that Halo 2 included an unnecessary second character. I believe that the Arbiter was way more interesting and far more fun to play as than Master Chief. The Arbiter is actually interesting, and not just "A super soldier that kills things"

But perhaps I'm the only one who thinks this way...

Oh well.

Gotta love resident evil 4, but how can you call the inventory system overly complex?

The tetris styled storage was utterly fabulous, I could easily spend an hour rearranging everything so it was all layed out perfectly. Personally, my greatest disappointment in Resi 5, after the lack of the merchant (God bless is all-containing coat pockets), was leaving out the inventory system of 4.

Majora's Mask is more amazing than the others of Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Simply put, 3 days to save the world and the ability to bend time. And problems occur in different places in different times when the player interacts. That's simply mind blowing.

I even think that Metroid Prime is one of the great transitions from 2d Metroid to 3d in first person dimension. And they pulled it off with stunning grace.

I like the list, a lot of great games, but if it were me, I would've had Shadow of Colossus on there.

I'm a little surprised to see not one Valve game on this list. Doesn't Team Fortress 2 count as significant?

Because I highly dispute the claim that COD4 did multiplayer better than it.

Also:

Just think of it as the Harry Potter of videogames - so long as it gets people into the medium, that's a good thing, right?

Not if it only leads to things like Wii Sports 2 and Wii Fit. I've met lots of people who play those, but have no interest in playing anything else. So developers who want to make actual games on the Wii might as well not bother.

*twitch*
Where is HL2?
and for that matter, any VALVe game?
I am going to just step out now before I do something I will regret

Irridium:
Majora's Mask was nothing short of amazing. I don't care if the majority of people think Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess were the best. Majora's Mask is the one that stands out, and has left a larger impression than any other Zelda game.

The reason (i think because this is the case with me) that Majora's Mask is "below" OOT is because they never played the entire game.
I never finished MM only because i never bought it and only played it at others houses, and for that reason it didn't capture me like OOT did.

I absolutely agree with Majora's Mask.
In order for this list to appear more balanced however, I recommend including a proper western RPG in the list likesayforexample TES IV: Oblivion.

Then it would be perfect.

sabotstarr:

Irridium:

The reason (i think because this is the case with me) that Majora's Mask is "below" OOT is because they never played the entire game.
I never finished MM only because i never bought it and only played it at others houses, and for that reason it didn't capture me like OOT did.

Thats true. A lot of people I talk to always remark that they never played it through to the end.

And if I remember correctly, didn't you need some sort of addon for the N64 to be able to play it? Probably not, but for some reason I think it needed some sort of addon to handle the game.

Either way, its depressing not many people played it all the way through or at all. Because as I said it is really, really good.

Hell, its the only N64 game I still have.

Man, this list started out great, Majora's Mask is awesome and I thought the concept would be enough to be a genre by itself, although apparently I was the only one. But... CoD4MW? Really? It's not a bad game, really - it's quite good, in fact - but it was so... average. Like, if you asked a future supercomputer to create the best possible game without it being anything extraordinary, it would generate CoD4MW.

Also, it doesn't even let you drive the Abrahams tank, what the fuck.

It's also missing a GTA game. Every other game released is a sandbox now and Rockstar was somehow the first to popularize the idea of having your main character be able to drive cars without being stuck to them. And

j0z:
*twitch*
Where is HL2?

while I find HL and HL2 about as revolutionary as the Segway and slightly less entertaining, Valve are probably one of the companies doing the most for the health of gaming nowadays.

ICO - WTF??

Shadow of Coloussus - Not innovative enough?

World of Warcraft - I just remembered this, it should be on every top 10 list based on the amount of money it made.

BehattedWanderer:

Actually, the Julian calendar, on which the Grigorian calendar is based, was developed roughly 400 years before western civilization could comprehend "0," (the Babylonians only used a placeholder to differentiate '2' from '20') so no, a decade begins with 1 and ends with 10.

*edit*
Oh, and yes, BCE ended with 1, and CE begins with 1. There was no "Year 0."
*/edit*

heyheysg:
ICO - WTF??

Shadow of Coloussus - Not innovative enough?

World of Warcraft - I just remembered this, it should be on every top 10 list based on the amount of money it made.

1) ICO was somewhat innovative, but there's not really enough meat there to put it in the top-games-of-a-decade.

2) Shadow of Colossus wasn't really very innovative at all, just impressive in scale.

3) If that was a good idea, then every top-10 list would be full of sports titles and throwaway DS games.

The Random One:

Also, it doesn't even let you drive the Abrahams tank, what the fuck.

"Abrams," but I'm nitpicking.

The Random One:

It's also missing a GTA game. Every other game released is a sandbox now and Rockstar was somehow the first to popularize the idea of having your main character be able to drive cars without being stuck to them. And while I find HL and HL2 about as revolutionary as the Segway and slightly less entertaining, Valve are probably one of the companies doing the most for the health of gaming nowadays.

The Elder Scrolls titles were the first to be true "Sandbox" games, nearly a decade before GTA3, and 3 years before GTA. Half-Life doesn't count on the list, because it was released in '98. Steam should be on the list, though. Despite not being a game, Steam has done more for gaming than any game in the last 9 years (u c wut i did ther?).

Well, OK, any game other than Wii Sports.

j0z:
*twitch*
Where is HL2?

Same feeling.

Portal anyone?

RvLeshrac:

BehattedWanderer:

Actually, the Julian calendar, on which the Grigorian calendar is based, was developed roughly 400 years before western civilization could comprehend "0," (the Babylonians only used a placeholder to differentiate '2' from '20') so no, a decade begins with 1 and ends with 10.

*edit*
Oh, and yes, BCE ended with 1, and CE begins with 1. There was no "Year 0."
*/edit*

Well duh. There was no point in a year 0--as a means of counting we start with "1", so calling something year zero would make you a publicly approved idiot. It's always "the first year after___", such as how the counting system for Julian system was not a measure of a year but a measure of how much time it had been since an epoch, most commonly the founding of Rome (which had different dates for different scholars). I do find it interesting that you say Julian Calendar but then talk about the Babylonians, whom predate both Rome and Julius, leaving your discussion somewhere between trying to backpedal and accelerate forward. And, as a point of interest, Rome most definitely understood 0--they didn't have a symbol for it, but they used the word 'nulla/nullae' (lit. None). It would have been impossible for them to have engineered the marvels of their day without understanding of the concept of zero. Odd enough, it's still the basis of our base-10 counting system.

I am surprised WoW wasn't on this list considering how influential it's become.

I don't even get what the criteria for games on this list could possibly be.

A games of the decade list would only be meaningful if limited to a single genre, for example FPS of the decade list or, RTS of the decade.

RvLeshrac:
Arbitrary indeed. I don't know why some of these things are on the list when there are *HUNDREDS* of better games available. In gameplay, innovation, story, and implementation.

*edit*

He did start his decade with a 0 though. The year 2000. But you're right, we started the counting with the year 1 so technically we've got a year to go. The Base explanations above sound lovely but they mean that the very first decade AD had 9 years in it. On the other hand, unless 2010 is the start of a new decade we've got to accept that they year 1990 wasn't part of the 90's so maybe it's worth having a 9 year decade just for that.

List was pretty cwl. Except the focus of it, and even the actual reviews of the games seemed to be "and nothing like this appeared again" as opposed to "this game is good". You're a proper old-timer ^^

RvLeshrac:

*edit*

Hundreds? Really? That's taking bitterness to a mighty new level.

And decades go 0-9. Or is 1930 part of the 20s? Years are special, they don't have to be counted like normal numbers.

bor3ds0ul:

j0z:
*twitch*
Where is HL2?

Same feeling.

Portal anyone?

I will not say HL2 or Portal was the best game of the decade, but I do think they deserve a spot, CoD4's spot actually. Sans multiplayer, what did MW1 do better (taking into account when HL2 came out) than HL2? HL2's gunplay is dated now, but really no more so than Halo:CE (This is not bashing Halo, I played CE and enjoyed it). HL2 had a revolutionary physics system, an amazing facial animation system that still holds it own today. And for the multiplayer side of things, how about TF2? Or CS:S?
Other games that should be on the list:
Morrowind
Deus Ex
GTA 3 (not a big GTA fan, but I know influence when I see it)
Bioshock
KotOR
let me repeat, KOTOR

Bah, I hated Majora's Mask. The time limit ruined the game for me, as I only made it past the first dungeon once because of it. I tend to play my Zelda games at a much more sedate pace than most, and the time limit was just to short for me to really enjoy the game. The controls gave me a great deal of annoyance as well, never felt as though the N64 analog stick had quite enough precision to properly control the Goron roll or properly walk along some of the narrow platforms. Which is very odd, since those types of things seemed to work just fine for me in Mario 64 and Ocarina.

It also just never felt quite as well put together as Ocarina to me. Ocarina just felt a lot more thought out, while Mask sort of felt thrown together to me.

I can't say that I would remove any of the games from the list. I would have added Batman: Arkham Asylum to it though. It is a game that just did everything right in my opinion, and I hope will set the bar for future comic book games.

I would probably also add the Prince of Persia: Sands of Time Trilogy. Probably one of the best platformer's ever made.

I feel sad and slightly excluded, none of those would've been on my top 10 games of the decade, except possibly RE4 but the article was reasoned well so I'll forgive it.

The funny part is that aside from the PC port of Halo, I haven't played any of these "games of the decade"...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here