Reliable Source: Twilight of the Apocalypse

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reliable Source: Twilight of the Apocalypse

Marion learns discovers that in the future, we all sparkle.

Read Full Article

I love being absolutely tired. Makes funny stuff like this that much more funnier.

Amazing, so funny, this is only the third reliable source I've read but to me it's easily the funniest feature on the escapist.

Well. I think it's fair to say I came away from that a little more confused, and yet a little more informed.

I'm sure this was supposed to be funny. Then why do I feel so terrified? :|

That was almost Gonzo. However you need more vitriol and insight in your imagery.

Level 99 Druid Hunter...ha. When Burning Wrath of the Cataclysm came out two years ago, everyone leveled their beast mastery shamanlocks to 105. The article's outdated.

Also, the beginning was absolutely brilliant.

All that conspiricy stuff about games in the 1980s and not one referance to Polybius? For shame!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polybius_(game)

I have a feeling this is even funnier when you high. But then, anything with wacky backy in it is even funnier when your high.

*Loads silver bullet into magazine*
When do we kill Twilight the Vampire and New Moon the Werewolf?

Is it wrong to have read the entire article, and the entire time wonder how he was getting home?

Therumancer:
All that conspiricy stuff about games in the 1980s and not one referance to Polybius? For shame!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polybius_(game)

Ahh now I get that joke from doomsday arcade.

Wow... that article was, to say the least, horrifying. god damn i hope this doesnt happen.

BillyShakes:
Is it wrong to have read the entire article, and the entire time wonder how he was getting home?

No, no its not lol

After reading that article I have become very hungry for some reason.

These are great, writing's great, humor's great...

Love 'em

008Zulu:
After reading that article I have become very hungry for some reason.

Wait... Me too.. I think there is something bigger at work here.

I actually believed every word until it started with the whole game apocolypse.

Insert Comedy Here:
I love being absolutely tired. Makes funny stuff like this that much more funnier.

To me it makes everything feel deader.

I always cheated on adventure books too. I didn't feel bad, seeing as it was all up to luck anyway.

You had me at "World of Warcraft is actually a tool for world domination."

Lol...what a loon...but that is what I fear...Twilight as a video game!! *pulls out a silver katana that smells of garlic* *puts on sunglasses* time for me watching a Wesley Snipes movie to pay off!!

As my previous post has been deemed insufficient, I would like to formally express a confusion resulting from the content of this article so profound that it stimulates humor within me.

I will admit that a reasonable analysis of the portents of the age (which may include an attempt to find the candy surprise promisted to me at the bottom of a handle of bottom shelf rum) paints a grim portrait. Giants in the industry faulter, staunch independents allow themselves to be absorbed by others, budgets have skyrocketed to the point that simply selling well isn't good enough to make do--you need a blockbuster. The wind brings with it tales that we live in the last cycle of the console as we know it and companies around the world have found they can make more money producing programs that are hardly even interactive much less games and distributing them on the internet.

From where I stand, the outlook certainly appears grim but I can't help but wonder if this is simply a natural feeling of uneasyness borne from close observation of an industry rapidly changing. Surely the industry itself cannot die - hundreds of millions of people play games each day and untold billions of dollars worth of infrastructre lay in the homes of people around the world. Even if the giants collapse because they doggedly pursue an unsustainable course, surely this won't dissuade people from soldiering on because games are a calling, would it?

The medium has survived more than one crash in it's short history and always it has risen again. Invariably the crashes did more to push the medium forward than anything else, for it is only in the face of utter ruin, when the biggest risk you'd ever take is simply trying to make a product for a dead industry, that you are truly free to try anything. The current age of video games has been on a death match for fidelity and only now, when we are tantilizingly close, do we see the error in our ways. A game can look good without looking real, and a game that looks real is not always going to be worth our time. What's more, we have only flirted with the idea that a game can be about something, but we find that most games that try to tread in this bold territory simply copy other media.

Thus I have to wonder - should I look upon the uncertain future of the industry with trepidation or joy? If it should collapse, it almost certainly wouldn't be the end of the medium, and who knows what may rise from the ashes?

There was an article like this over at Cracked (Twilight MMOG). I won't link to it, since nobody likes links.

BOYCOTT TORCHLIGHT AAA!

Spacelord:

Me too... hold me?

tkioz:

Spacelord:

Me too... hold me?

I wish I could hold you in my arms and tell you that everything will be all right, I really do. But I'm not sure if I'd be telling the truth. T_T

twilight mmo... i'd play that... just so i could throw "whats his face pretty vampire boy" over cliffs all day.... i'd pay good money for that

You had me until "Lincoln Had a Lazer Cannon Powered By White Rum. Thank God for John Wilkes Booth!"... Then you lost me...

A twilight mmo? How would I grief people who thrive on it? And angst.... can't forget angst.

I, for one, am loving this videogame-peyote-alcohol-jazz cigarette fueled odyssey that Mr. Cox has been taking, and I can only hope it continues in further Reliable Sources.

I've always wanted to discover whether there were really copies of ET buried in a dump somewhere

Despite taking Reliable Source in a new direction, you have kept the humor that keeps bringing it back

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here