235: Riot Grrrls Wanted

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Hope Chest:

squid5580:

Hope Chest:

squid5580:

So what do you think the reaction would be if the Escapist posted an article calling for better treatment of specifically male charaters.

People like you would complain about Girl Gamers/Feminists/other imaginary foes always showing men in a bad light.

People like you would defend the hypocrisy of it.

You realize you've just said that I'm the kind of person who will defend both the call for better treatment of specifically male characters AND the call for better treatment of specifically female characters, right?

How exactly is that a bad thing?

You realize you edited my post to suit your arguement. Guess I shouldn't expect anything less at this point.

And you are aware that you have been saying that is a bad thing. Since that is exactly what I have been saying all along. And you have been the one arguing against it. Now excuse me while I go take a victory lap.

squid5580:

Hope Chest:

squid5580:

Hope Chest:

squid5580:

So what do you think the reaction would be if the Escapist posted an article calling for better treatment of specifically male charaters.

People like you would complain about Girl Gamers/Feminists/other imaginary foes always showing men in a bad light.

You realize you've just said that I'm the kind of person who will defend both the call for better treatment of specifically male characters AND the call for better treatment of specifically female characters, right?

You realize you edited my post to suit your arguement. Guess I shouldn't expect anything less at this point.

How? Please: show me the other part of your post that modifies the part I quoted, which that stated "People like you would defend" what we were talking about ("an article calling for better treatment of specifically male charaters"), into something other than you saying...I would defend an article calling for better treatment of specifically male characters.

Hope Chest:

squid5580:

Hope Chest:

squid5580:

Hope Chest:

squid5580:

How? Please: show me the other part of your post that modifies the part I quoted, which that stated "People like you would defend" what we were talking about ("an article calling for better treatment of specifically male charaters"), into something other than you saying...I would defend an article calling for better treatment of specifically male characters.

Wow still going on. OK how is it when I say all characters need better representation I am wrong. But you say that both male and female characters need better representation you are right? Wow unbelievable.

squid5580:

Hope Chest:

squid5580:

Hope Chest:

Wow still going on.

I guess it's not as fun to fap to my posts now that you know I'm a guy.

OK how is it when I say all characters need better representation I am wrong. But you say that both male and female characters need better representation you are right? Wow unbelievable.

First of all, nice job answering the question: you said I edited your post to suit my argument, and then when I called you on it...nothing.

As for what you wrote, I never said when you "say all characters need better representation I am wrong." I say you're wrong when you read "we need better female characters" and tack on "we should let male characters be" for no reason.

You really can't see the difference?

So let me get this straight:

"Games should have better-written female characters."
"No! Games should just be better all-around!"

Does it also follow that...

"Games should have better music."

"Games should have better storytelling."

"Games should have better graphics."

"Games should have better, more intuitive controls."

Do I have this right?

lolwut

Hope Chest:

Rowan Kaiser:
So let me get this straight:

"Games should have better-written female characters."

Does it also follow that...

"Games should have better music."

"Games should have better storytelling."

"Games should have better graphics."

"Games should have better, more intuitive controls."

Do I have this right?

I think so: just add in the idea that saying "Games should have better X" means that Y should just be left alone as it is.

Should games not be better all round?

Funkysandwich:
Should games not be better all round?

Yes except that sentiment is useless as constructive criticsm... unless you're trying to obscure someone else's argument in agreement of the industry's de-facto priorities of brighter/smokier explosions, new places to graft muscle mass on the male figure, and sim-boob jiggle physics.

If that's the case hit me with a passive-aggressive high five, bro.

What names said. Also, there is no simple "all-around better" button. Games are the sum of their parts. Make the music better, the game is better. Make the female characters written better, the game is better. These are doable things.

Hulyen:
I have to say that it IS depressing to see any mention of female gamers tends to have one of two reactions: "Female gamers are all attention whores" or "Female gamers are mostly women who play casual games or their husband's games once in a while" with very little middle ground.

I agree with you here. But there are still a lot of female gamers who are attention whores.

Anyway, it's a good article!

Personally, I think that if the focus becomes making a game to make a statement...you have a really strong chance to lose sight of making a game that will actually be top of the line. Now, by all means, make strong female characters. That's great, but make the game because you want a game - rather than a political tool - or no one really will care about it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here