Escape to the Movies: Daybreakers

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

I saw the trailer at Avatar

I thought the idea of a dominant Vampire race was intriguing

The "Anti-Twilight"...Haven't you seen the underrated movie Let the right one in.

So does this mean it's cool to like vampires again? For a while there if you said anything about vampires people just assumed Twilight...

I heard about this movie 3 or 4 months ago and have been waiting for it for some time. MovieBob has similar taste in movies as I do, so this should be just fucking awesome!

I was avoiding this movie like the plague for a while. I saw the preview and I'm like "ugh... more fucking vampires, goddamnit!" But this actually sounds really good! *saves pennies to go see*

The trailer blew my mind (Running up that Hill will forever be ingrained in my mind as a vampire fighting song) and I've been looking forward to it, but as a usual okay sorta horror actioner. I wasn't expecting it to apparently be so damn good.

See it, I will, this afternoon.

You'll be happy to know Bob, that when I saw this at TIFF in September, the guys who directed the movie were ripping apart Twilight in the Q&A session and even said that they thought their movie was the Anti-Twilight.

Hey Bob, should I bother to point out that both you and Yahtzee have a habit of contradicting yourselves?
Although in regards to this film, I must admit the plot sounds intriguing and any vampires that don't sparkle are alright with me.

You compared it to District 9 in a positive way.

Say no more, MovieBob. Say no more.

Going to see it whenever it comes out around here. Our cinemas are about a week behind everything else.

But now maybe I can get my middle aged mom to shut the fuck up about Twilight.

I wonder if its any good... The review didn't seem clear on that.

the_tralfalmadorian:
You had me at Willem Defoe.

There's a truly brilliant bit of cockney rhyming slang in this statement, sadly it probably wasn't intended. Still, it's going into my cockney vocabulary.

Twilight vamps vs Daybreaker vamps?

I remember seeing the trailer, thinking "this has potential, but it will probably not live up to it." Glad to see I seem to be wrong about the second part! I'll definitely try to catch this one.

Anyone else notice they are really pushing this film on imdb at the moment?
OT: I was kinda in 2 minds about it because the trailer looks awesome but i was worried that was all that happened in the film.(the 2 films i remember doing that are the lion the witch and the wardrobe and no surprise : Twilight) Now i'm sold, cant wait to see it

robbins123:
the anti-twilight...

Well, that's me sold.

However...

Using a picture like this
to celebrate Vampires may be missing out on one vital point... ;)

I didn't think that human blood thing would be a metaphor to our oil and resources, I expected it to be about the meat industry since the vampires were basically the new "master species" (or at least, the majority) and needed to farm living things for food.

I was seriously expecting this movie to have some heavy handed vegan agenda...maybe PETA is getting to me?

Anyway, this reminds me a lot about the I Am Legend book, but I can't really say much without spoiling fucking everything.

Is he really recommending thi movie? I just saw it and it's the worst vampire movie I've ever seen. It's worse than Underworld. It's massively ecclectic suddenly switching from pretentious unsubtle meaphors (or fantastical aesops) to almost random shots of people exploding or on fire. The movie fails to follow through on it's few good ideas prefering instead to shower the viewer with over the top gore or massively narmtastic special effects.

After District9 the moment bob likes a film I just know its going to be good.

sounds interesting, sounds very interesting

The_root_of_all_evil:

robbins123:
the anti-twilight...

Well, that's me sold.

However...

Perhaps, but that's just hte image for what we would think of as a "Parting ofthe Clouds" as in Twilight was an awful shadow on the world, er, in this case, an awful glittery mess upon the world and I guess this film would be the splitting of Edward's head? Or dead babies or something vile like that. But wait, if the vampires are pretty much human with a steady diet of blood, I guess you couldn't possibly expect them to be unnecessarily evil even from humanity's perspective, so no dead babies, how about the a solar eclipse as their, "Heaven has reacched earth and all is well now?"

I think any vampire movie, regardless of how good it actually is, would be characterized as a good vampire because it comes out after Twilight.

That and this actually looks like a good movie.

so this movie had +2 for having vampires a +3 for having vampires that are not Twilight vampies and a +4 for being a good movie

so on a scale of 0-10 on likeliness of watching this movie with 10 as a definite: this movie scores a 9.

And a bonus +5 because my sister is a super Twilight fan (was the one who introduced it to all of her friends), and she said that this movie kicks Twilight's ass.

So for me, this movie is an 14.

The_root_of_all_evil:

robbins123:
the anti-twilight...

Well, that's me sold.

However...

touche ;)

Had me at Bela Lugosi.

Signed up just to make this comment:

Bob, I really like your reviews, but I'm getting a bit tired of nearly every one of your videos starting or ending with some "public service announcement", "interruption", "prologue", etc. There's nothing wrong with sticking to the standard format every once in a while!

Other than that, keep up the good work.

toluju:
Signed up just to make this comment:

Bob, I really like your reviews, but I'm getting a bit tired of nearly every one of your videos starting or ending with some "public service announcement", "interruption", "prologue", etc. There's nothing wrong with sticking to the standard format every once in a while!

Other than that, keep up the good work.

You could not be more right. Welcome!

orangeapples:
I think any vampire movie, regardless of how good it actually is, would be characterized as a good vampire because it comes out after Twilight.

Before I saw Daybreakers I would have agreed but no, it isn't. Tom put it in perspective this movie was worse than Underworld.

You had me at Anti-Twilight

Wait, it's good? And it isn't a twilight knock off?

HOLD THE PHONE - WILLEM DAFOE SHOOTS CROSSBOWS AND DRIVES MUSCLE CARS?

Oh SHIT I gotta see this one! Thanks again for opening my eyes, Bob!

The intro was really funny

Axolotl:

orangeapples:

Before I saw Daybreakers I would have agreed but no, it isn't. Tom put it in perspective this movie was worse than Underworld.

Well now that's your opinion.
And guess what? So far you're in the minority with fans and reviewers alike. Have fun back there.

Just made a date, I'm off to see this tomorrow. Bob has become to movies what Opra is to books it seems... only I actually believe Bob Chipman.

knight of zendikar:
Nice to see a movie showing real vampires for the first time in awhile. im generaly against the idea of book burning but twilight might be one of the cases where it would be goood. we should erase every trrace of twighlight from the history books.

yeah then we purge the internet of any trace of its existence. after that we rid our selves of the ugly female fans in a manner befitting of virgins*. if thier are any hot fans we make them watch each movie 100 times without pause so that they'll be sick of it then destroy the DVD's.(if that fails implant a T-chip in them that zaps them anytime they talk about anything related to the movies or the books*)

brownies for anyone that gets either reference

I'm going to try to see if I can get some of my friends to see this movie with me, but this is the the kind of movie I've been wanting to see. Especially with the majority of the damn public swooning over Twilight and True Blood tv series (though True Blood is a little bit better than Twilight). In anycase, this sounds like a movie that's going to get the vampire film the right treatment it deserves. Hell, it even looks like Ethan Hawke in this movie will be an actually good actor since all the crap he's been in since Training Day and inbetween that and Reality Bites. And William Defoe as a vampire hunter?! I'm sold! Even if I don't get any friends to see this movie with me, I'm going to it very soon.

Hmmm, sold me on the Willem defoe and muscle cars part

ZombieGenesis:
Well now that's your opinion.
And guess what? So far you're in the minority with fans and reviewers alike. Have fun back there.

Have you seen the movie? Or even seen/read any other reviews? It hasn't recieved particularly great reviews and if you look at Metacritichttp://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/daybreakers Even the reviews that gave it a good score quite a few describe it a a B-Movie.

I don't think I could enjoy this movie just because I'm so over vampires in any modern setting.
Even if they do have their no-sunlight steak-through-heart rules, they're ultimately just the zenith of modern teenage desires: Vampires are superpowered and beautiful versions of people who do terrible things, and while dominating everyone and everything, are still ultimately the misunderstood victims, with their being cursed 'n all.
Its just annoying.

Admittedly, I did have fun with the movie Underworld for the rediculous fantasy kickassery with a female lead, but the only modern vampire thing I can think of that I genuinely enjoyed was...
Well, Chibi Vampire.
Yes, an anime about an awkward schoolgirl who happens to be supernatural in some way.
Why did I like it, dispite the fact that I don't much care for school-related anime?

The only vampire in it who actually plays the role of superpowered-vampire-but-is-really-the-victim was the protagonist's crazy grandma.
(Well, that, and I do enjoy anime vampires who absolutely fail at being scary. Seras, too.)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here