Escape to the Movies: Daybreakers

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Axolotl:

ZombieGenesis:
Well now that's your opinion.
And guess what? So far you're in the minority with fans and reviewers alike. Have fun back there.

Have you seen the movie? Or even seen/read any other reviews? It hasn't recieved particularly great reviews and if you look at Metacritichttp://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/daybreakers Even the reviews that gave it a good score quite a few describe it a a B-Movie.

Well you just answered your own damn question. Reviews that are NOT bad- no matter what genre they slip it into. Hell, this could have been directed by Ed Wood and if it was still a good movie then it's just that, a good movie. No I have not seen it, but since the worst complaint so far as been that some have given it "not great" reviews, I'm all set.

Woodsey:
It's been poorly-averagely received as far as I can see on Metacritic. Still interested though so I'll see it.

So was District 9.

ZombieGenesis:
Well you just answered your own damn question. Reviews that are NOT bad- no matter what genre they slip it into. Hell, this could have been directed by Ed Wood and if it was still a good movie then it's just that, a good movie. No I have not seen it, but since the worst complaint so far as been that some have given it "not great" reviews, I'm all set.

Did you follow the link? It's current Metacritic rating is 2 higher than Twilight. And why are you defending a movie you haven't see? I have seen it and I honestly feel my life is worse off for that fact.

Something that has made vampires cool and very evil again.

My mind is struggling to understand that twilight is finally loseing it's power though I'm likeing it.

I saw a trailer for this forever ago and totally forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder I'll make sure to see it.

Eremiel:

Woodsey:
It's been poorly-averagely received as far as I can see on Metacritic. Still interested though so I'll see it.

So was District 9.

Most were fairly high, and only went down to an average rating for a few. This though... the majority of reviews are average-poor.

I know it's scores so you can't take them as hard evidence, but they can give an indication.

You have 2 sets of modern vampires in fiction the pretty boy blood sipper and the over sexualized blood fcker.

Interview with a vampire kicked up the pretty boy blood sipper genre a notch and the epitome of it is Twlight.

The more classic style as mention, kicked in the balls...er.... over done in blade 1-3,true blood and Underworld 2 to a lesser degree no story over sexed gorey crap....

Gore aside this reminds me of Underworld and Hellsing more traditional leaning fiction...tho I hate how vampires are so weak in Underworld and fcking love the witty old adventure movie feel of Hellsing.

Oh and.......

Blade sucks more than Twlight.................. the end....

4:09 dont you mean the decade

Ethan Hawke didn't promote this very well on The Tonight Show (or maybe O'Brien just asked the wrong questions), and that's really the only time before this that I had heard of this movie. Now that some of the plot has been explained appropriately, I'm really interested in this.

I need to stop making judgments on movies based on commercials.

What's this? Vampires being vampires?! At first I wasn't sold on this movie based solely on my distaste for the vampire genre, but the way you describe it got me sold. I'll have to check it out over the weekend :)

I had high hopes for this movie but was afraid it only looked good because of twilight mucking up vampire movies. Well thanks bob for my fears have been subdued and I will be seeing this possibly even tonight.

sounds pretty good (am i observant or what), also the new bleeps are much better than the old ones.

The only reason I'm not seeing it is because it looks to F*cking scary. (I'm a little bit of a scardy cat)

Did we see the same movie? Worse than Underworld?

I saw this back in September at the Midnight Madness program of TIFF. Let me say this - it was well received by the crowd, and for me, was one of my favourite movies of the program. I'm planning on going to see it AGAIN in normal theaters, and that's not something I usually do.

I think we should just be pleased with the world that was created with this movie. It's the little things that for me showed that there was some level of thought put in to creating a world populated and run by vampires.

I've wanted to see this for 3 months now, this cemented that I should go see it within the next hour, so, I will.

Wow, a vampire movie with actually vampire's in it? I'm sold.

bleh002:
Did we see the same movie? Worse than Underworld?

I assume we saw the same movie.

I think we should just be pleased with the world that was created with this movie. It's the little things that for me showed that there was some level of thought put in to creating a world populated and run by vampires.

What level of thought? I've seen far more interesting vampire worlds than this. Copying the real world then adding sun-shades and having every drink mixed with blood produced by a generic evil megacorp doesn't make an interesting setting.

anti twilight. thats good yo hear cause I wanted to see this one.

Anti-Twilight or not, I'm just sick of vampire movies in general since they started hitting the big-screen in large numbers after Twilight scored well (apparently). Now we have a werewolf movie (possibly more) coming out after the release of the Twilight sequel. ARGH!!!

That being said, the plot for this movie sounds better than I expected and it has Willem Defoe. I might just see it for those two reasons alone and hope you are misleading me with this review like you have with supposed other AWESOME movies (i.e. Public Enemy).

Whoa, had completely forgotten about this movie, it looked good when I first saw the trailer... and after this review I definitely will go see it... no idea when it'll be out in Belgium, though -.-

thank you, MovieBob :D

can he please at least tell us why he feels it is necessary to bleep out the four-letter words ... ?

If he insists on using them he can at least say why he has them bleeped.

I had an idea like this for a book.

You have me at "fucking awesome", Bob.

robbins123:
the anti-twilight... couldn't have characterized it better!

WOOT!!! couldn't have said it better.

Maybe this is a sign that there will be more good movies this year.....

.......and maybe unicorns will descend from the sky and take us to the ice cream kingdom

Interesting - it does sound like a good movie, but the whole harvesting of humans in big vats looks like it'd creep the fuck out of me in a non-good way.

I havent seen a disguised wedding proposal this in-your-face since Yahtzee's review of Saints Row 2. Glad to see real vampires making a comeback, its about time.

Business men are already bloodsuckers, this just accentuates that fact :P

Thanks moviebob, I will go check that out (I probably wasn't gonna before).
As a comment on the More than we wanted to know bit, as a HUGE fan of Buffy:
Well that was always the joy of the series: Nice action, good story, sharp writing and most importantly, real characters. Every single main character on that show had an unique and engaging personality (okay, okay, Dawn, but shut up, I'm trying to make a point). Even when they were frakking up or being jerks, it always felt like they were actual people doing it for actual reasons.

The movie poster doesn't need fancy graphics or striking colours. All it has to say is;

Daybreakers.
The Anti-Twilight.

Ironically, this type of movie will spurn the Twilightians to furiously post how movies like this are destroying the vampires.

To be honest, I expected him to hate this.

I was looking forward for this for quite some time. Bob's reviews never failed me before so I'm pretty sure I'll like this movie. Thanks Bob :D

You had me at Anti-Twilight... god I hate that dreak, we need a new Blade movie where he goes to that little shitty town and cuts off heads...

MovieBob must have seen a different film then I. While the movie was enjoyable, it was certainly no District 9. It had an excellent premise, but the follow through was quite lacking, and the "cure" they had was just bollocks.

It definitely looked good, I'll check it out this weekend. Thanks bob!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here