Zero Punctuation: Awards for 2009

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Ugh. Not bad, but that music really isn't good enough for more than a few seconds every week.

Heh, pretty good stuff. No complaints.

Well done as usual. I'm glad I don't make games cause I don't think I would want any of these awards, good or otherwise.

DayDark:
Maybe if we all concentrate our hatred of michael atkinson we will hit a natural resonance frequency and cause him to disintegrate.

Brilliant!

I fail to see how you can do an awards video after you blantantly miss a large release this year. Go review borderlands before you make an awards video.

He probably already has reviewed borderlands. We just have to wait for it.

MaxChaos:
I'm guessing someone was on the receiving end of the delightful British road system this Christmas...

Also (and I bet he gets this all the goddamn time) it's strange how Yahtzee dislikes the PS1-era Resident Evil games when he enjoys Silent Hill 2 so much. The games are very similar - top notch atmosphere, balls controls. I bet he'd enjoy them a little bit.

Maybe it because Silent Hill was much more story-driven, much scarier since you weren't required to kill enemies, and the script is less cliche and laughable than Resident Evil.

As for the video, well done. I loved the awards' names. As for the best game of the year, Arkham Asylum deserves it since its the only non-sequel to ever be good and new last year. I just hope its sequel does not tarnish the reputation too much.

Mirroga:

Maybe it because Silent Hill was much more story-driven, much scarier since you weren't required to kill enemies, and the script is less cliche and laughable than Resident Evil.

I think you might be on to something there m'boy.

manbearpig91:
I fail to see how you can do an awards video after you blantantly miss a large release this year. Go review borderlands before you make an awards video.

You do know Yahtzee has a hatred for online multiplayer and him not playing multiplayer on Borderlands is like buying Modern Warfare just for the story mode.

I can tell since I also hate playing online multiplayer against/with strangers.

Enjoyed the video. I particularly like this week's credits comic with MW2 sniping Yahtzee.

I have to disagree with the Golden Dog Buiscuit award.

I know it'll spark controversy, but I feel that Modern Warfare deserves praise. Not for being a good game, good lord no, But for the fact that even after effectivly bringing the horror of the nuclear blast and repeating it over and over and over in it's sequal as well as giving us interactive terrorist attacks and showing us the douchebag'edness of the pissed off Americans. It still climbs to the top of the leaderboard and becomes one of the most saught-after and popular games EVER to hit the decade.

I think that deserves at least some amount of praise.

I loved the part about Duke Nukem Forever being so awesome it warped its way out of existence.

Happy New Year, Yahtzee :D

Talking of new iphones, I'm almost tempted now... did you see the new ipod/iphone controlled REMOTE CONTROL HELICOPTER WITH A BLOODY VIDEOCAMERA ON IT? (http://ardrone.parrot.com/parrot-ar-drone/en)

Want. Will consider defecting to Apple for.

WHATS WITH ALL THE SPIDERS, YOU COCK?
Ugh, I hate them. Everytime Yahtzee uses them in his reviews I get a fleeting moment of panic that completely derails the humour. They just seem to be getting bigger!

Apart from that ridiculously trivial complaint, that was a great summary of the year. Hurrah for Batman!
And hurrah for iPhones, it seems! Just got one of those for Christmas! Hope you enjoy it, Yahtzee!

It was good, but the theme song is so damn loud!!

I agree with the whole ''Open world environment'' thing. Linear is just fine. Nothing wrong with going from one stage to the next.

Fantastic! "Attack of the Cheeseburger Spiders"! But why stop at just a game; "Attack of the Cheeseburger Spiders" The Movie, "Attack of the Cheeseburger Spiders" Action figures, novels,music videos...

Taxicab Samurai:
Ahh this makes Wednesdays worth living.
Now I need something for Thursday and Monday.

I find Doomsday Arcade rather enjoyable here on the Escapist but that's not every Thursday. Then there's the Office and 30 Rock on TV which are also rather enjoyable imo.

Mondays straight up suck too. Nothing to do.

As for Yahtzee's GOTY I have to disagree with Batman. I mean it wasn't bad but I do think it was overrated and fairly significantly. There were a lot of things about it that just bugged me and there were several other games I enjoyed a fair bit more. Assassins Creed II was a massive improvement over 1 imo. To be honest I didn't really like AC1 at all. AC2 on the other hand was really good and it came as a very pleasant surprise to me. I also loved Demon's Souls. Its difficulty is overrated and it has checkpoints. They aren't traditional checkpoints but it definitely has checkpoints (longer levels let you pull a lever or something to open a gate or knock down a bridge that lets you cut through large chunks of the level in the event of a death).

Hehe, I love me some funny awards. Nice to see Atkinson finally being recognised for his contribution to the industry as well.

However I must point out that Back to the Future 2 was proved wrong when Michael Jackson died. Just so's you know.

Mirroga:

manbearpig91:

You do know Yahtzee has a hatred for online multiplayer and him not playing multiplayer on Borderlands is like buying Modern Warfare just for the story mode.

I can tell since I also hate playing online multiplayer against/with strangers.

yeah but borderlands is really fun by yourself, and I played it like that, It was great. With two people is is just as good, but more than that sucks. So 1 player borderlands is great. I dont see what the problem is, maybe he will remember when we get to the point where he has time this spring.

lol, yeah, i hate micheal atkinson. unbelievable how fuckheads can get jobs like this. because of him i had to order left 4 dead 2 from the US, which was actully way cheaper then the cut version here. i hope he dies in in a very painful way.

Loved the last little jabs at Dukem Nukem.

kuzaro:
Don't understand the problem with Michael Atkinson. Is preventing some games involving extreme violence being available to kids wrong? Also these games tend to be crappy anyway.

It's not that he's preventing those games from being available to kids, it's that he's preventing them from being available to ANYONE. Not to mention causing some game developers like Bethesda to change their games so they just barely fit into the MA15+ rating, so in a way he's HELPING extremely violent games become available to kids. That's why we need an R18+ rating, so these games can take their intended place restricted to adults and only sold with ID provided. Then it's up to the parents to keep the clearly marked (OFLC stickers on game boxes are huge), restricted games away from their kids, frankly I'm sick of feeling the repercussions of other people's bad parenting.

Its worth looking at the comments just to see who got probated(new word).

Why don't mods just ban them?

FKING SHAT MYSELF LAUGHING AT THE ATKINSON BIT

Lot of iPhone references, and lots of spider references, maybe he got a pet spider as well lol.

whattt batman aa as best game was he being sarcastic like the duke nukem thing that game was horrible

Chunklin:
I was hoping for Borderlands to win geniunely good game.... I've had no end of fun with it.

i disagree, but since i lost interest wit fps i was hoping the rpg element would redeem it for me but it didnt

Couple things. First, much agreed with the "fuck Atkinson" bit. Second, its a shame that Prototype or Infamous failed to win the "Best Game of the Year" but if it had to lose to anyone, I'm glad it was the amazingly superior "Duke Nukem Forever"... I'm sorry, I mean "Batman Arkham Asylum". : )

All reasonable, except for natal.

Something should be condemned so long as it has done something offensive to begin with and so, as seeing that we are not living in the future world of Minority Report, complaints and critiques should be reserved until such time that they actually can be proven, beyond a reasonable doubt, to be valid by the piles of dismembered and otherwise bloody corpses rendered so by the then truly guilty party.

Taxicab Samurai:
Ahh this makes Wednesdays worth living.
Now I need something for Thursday and Monday.

i got scamschool for thursday and unskippable/loadingreadyrun.com for monday
but my tuesday is dull

Huh, how disappointing. You had nothing important to say about anything this week. This one was even more pointless than the 08' Awards Ceremony.

Ah yes, I knew I had something else to bitch about:

Review Borderlands already.

Good stuff. Loved the Duke Nukem bit.

I just knew, alright?

I hear you get your internet censored too :x.

Good Choice. Though i haven't played Arkham asylum. the demo was funtastic.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here