Five Reasons Why The Old Republic Is a Threat to WoW

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Five Reasons Why The Old Republic Is a Threat to WoW

The reign of a king can't go unchallenged forever.

Read Full Article

Er... you meant dual-wielding lightsabers for that last one, right?

Also, I think you're right. If any game can topple WOW, or at least steal a chunk of its fans, it will be TOR. I mean, have you seen that trailer!? It's fucking epic.

John Funk:
John Funk still can't make up his mind about being a Jedi Knight or a Sith Inquisitor.

Join us...you know not the power of the Dark Side

Ahem...moving past that, this is a great article, I never really got into the WoW scene, as I was never a big fan of Warcraft [don't hit me] I am however a huge fan of Kotor and so i'm very excited to see this game

I'm happy that you added lightsabers as an option.
That's my second strongest reason for why the game will be awesome.
My first? Well, there's jedi.
Seems like a fantastic idea for a game to me.

John Funk:
John Funk still can't make up his mind about being a Jedi Knight or a Sith Inquisitor.

Jedi Knight, baby. You know all the 13-year-olds are going to approach this game with LOL IM A BADASS SITH LIEK DARTH MAUL.

Republic is gonna be where it's at.

Really good article, I liked what I read.

As the Bioware fanboy I am, I'll buy the game regardless of if I have my new computer or not. :P

kementari:

John Funk:

Jedi Knight, baby. You know all the 13-year-olds are going to approach this game with LOL IM A BADASS SITH LIEK DARTH MAUL.

Have you played World of Warcraft? All of the 13 year olds are all "LOL IM A BADASS HERO LIEK ARTHAS". I'm fairly sure it will be this way in The Old Republic too, because they all want to be Obi-Wan or Yoda.

Join the dark side!

Psychosocial:

kementari:

John Funk:

Have you played World of Warcraft? All of the 13 year olds are all "LOL IM A BADASS HERO LIEK ARTHAS". I'm fairly sure it will be this way in The Old Republic too, because they all want to be Obi-Wan or Yoda.

Join the dark side!

Oh come on dude, you don't think Horde has its share of 13-year-olds? Only difference is they're all Undead Rogues or BElf Death Knights.

Yeah I'll be there for ToR. I don't think it'll dethrone WoW, unless ToR gets lucky enough to serve as a replacement for the social environment that WoW has become, but it's always possible. I'm still concerned about the whole microtransaction thing, though; I had to stop playing DDO because it's too easy to spend much more than $15 a month on a game with microtransactions if you're not careful. Without a flate fee option, it could be a deal-breaker for me no matter how much I want to play the game.

@kementari: Yes, Republic is going to be the only place to go!

10 Day trial me up! The trailer speaks for itself. And what it speaks is "IM TEH F'ING EPIC TWAILIER OF ALL MMO BEACH!" Eh hm.

More on topic though, it sounds reasonable. The lightsabre part I agree with but its really hard to capture it. Also, this sounds a bit fan-boyish. Its not my fault! In a issue of Play Magazine, someone did a whole article on why Resistance is better then Halo. You heard me.

John Funk:

Psychosocial:

kementari:

John Funk:

Join the dark side!

Oh come on dude, you don't think Horde has its share of 13-year-olds? Only difference is they're all Undead Rogues or BElf Death Knights.

That's pretty much how it was with the Night Elves when WoW first came out, though.
They just fluctuate to all of the interesting looking races/classes.

John Funk:
#5 - Lightsabers: Fwp-shhhhsssss... wronnnn, worrrarrang. Wrorr-K-SHH! K-SHHkrilkrklkkrlk, wrooonn, wroaonng.

...yup. Heard every sing syllable of those sounds in my head, in front of the always epic lightsaber dueling music, and even had the fight scene. If there was ever an MMO to get me into MMO games, it would be this.

kementari:

John Funk:

Yes, because one HAS to be a 13 year old kid to appreciate the philosophies of the dark side.

Totally.

Imperial Agent here, recording your treasons to the true rulers of the Galaxy.

tmujir955:

Also, I think you're right. If any game can topple WOW, or at least steal a chunk of its fans, it will be TOR. I mean, have you seen that trailer!? It's fucking epic.

yeah, but also a complete lie.

John Funk:

Psychosocial:

kementari:

John Funk:

Join the dark side!

Well, of course, but there are far many more of them in Alliance. There's a reason why Alliance can't win in battlegrounds, they all think they're "teh greatest hero evahr".

Psychosocial:

kementari:

John Funk:

Join the dark side!

Both factions since launch, and yes, at launch, all the kiddies were on Alliance. The reverse was true at BC, though, and despite the headcount getting a little messy now due to all races being able to be Death Knights, I have strong beliefs that playing the "evil, cool" side will land you in the midst of a ton of children come TOR.

The Republic looks to be the underdog in this game, and I like playing the underdog. If you want to be on the LOL IM SO BADASS side, though, that's your choice. I'll enjoy killing you.

I want it simply because i can't stand fantasy bullshit that WoW uses and the fact that it seems you can play as a Mandalorian bounty hunter? FUCKING SOLD!!

Psychosocial:
I'll buy the game regardless of if I have my new computer or not. :P

ooh, interesting point. As a die hard KOTR fan i really want this game, but i don't want to shell out truckloads of cash to upgrade my system. have they listed any requirements yet?

I'd think of switching to it from WoW... Except it's more than likely my experience will look far less awesome than that shown in the trailers. If I can even play the game at all. :/

factualsquirrel:

tmujir955:

yeah, but also a complete lie. and this game is going to be fuckin awesome.

Heheheh.

kementari:

John Funk:

I think it could go either way actually. For instance, Star Wars: Galaxies was heavily overpopulated, at least on my server way back at launch, favoring the Rebels/Light side. However, Warhammer Online had population problems with Destruction out-numbering sometimes 2:1. Although this was arguably do to much more awesome modeling and classes on Destruction, contrasting the bland Order.

Psychosocial:

John Funk:

Psychosocial:

kementari:

John Funk:

Join the dark side!

Well, of course, but there are far many more of them in Alliance. There's a reason why Alliance can't win in battlegrounds, they all think they're "teh greatest hero evahr".

Really depends on what server you are on for bgs man and 12 year olds want to be B.A. horde and think that alliance is gay.

I honestly don't think any mmo will top world of warcraft for over 5 years because as long as there is an expansion for wow players to look forward to there will be no end. And no wow player is going to play an expansion then unsubscribe and resubscribe when the next one comes out. I haven't been playing wow as much now that the expansion is almost over but i have not stooped giving them money because i want my gear and levels to be waiting for me when cataclysm comes out.

You know what my prediction is?

What happens every time an MMOG tries to challenge WOW... aka, straight to step 4.

Man I'm so ready for this game. One thing I find a little odd is the cartoony style that BioWare chose for ToR which I'm pretty sure I've seen somewhere else (*cough*WoW*cough) But man I can't wait. If it's good I might actually start playing. I'm tired of Blizzards milking of their franchise and their ability to keep unbalancing the game. Stopped playing it about a year ago and haven't missed it since.

Come on BioWare, if ANYONE can pull this one off, it'll be you. Make mama proud!

kementari:

Psychosocial:

kementari:

John Funk:

Join the dark side!

Both factions since launch, and yes, at launch, all the kiddies were on Alliance. The reverse was true at BC, though, and despite the headcount getting a little messy now due to all races being able to be Death Knights, I have strong beliefs that playing the "evil, cool" side will land you in the midst of a ton of children come TOR.

The Republic looks to be the underdog in this game, and I like playing the underdog. If you want to be on the LOL IM SO BADASS side, though, that's your choice. I'll enjoy killing you.

Sure, there are loads of people who think it's "cool" to be evil and bad. But there are loads more who think being the hero makes you cool and all too.

You're more than welcome to try killing me, not that you'll ever stand a chance. ;)

PuppetMaster:

Psychosocial:
I'll buy the game regardless of if I have my new computer or not. :P

ooh, interesting point. As a die hard KOTR fan i really want this game, but i don't want to shell out truckloads of cash to upgrade my system. have they listed any requirements yet?

I don't think so, but they probably will not too soon, seeing as the game is scheduled for late 2010.

Slycne:

kementari:

John Funk:

I think it could go either way actually. Star Wars: Galaxies was heavily overpopulated, at least on my server way back at launch, favoring the Rebels/Light side. However, Warhammer Online had population problems with Destruction out-numbering the other side sometimes 2:1(although this was arguably do to much more awesome modeling and classes on Destruction contrasting the bland Order).

What characters in the Star Wars films became instant action-figures because of their coolness factor?

The Fett family.

If they aren't going to play as Darth Maul or Vader, the kids are going to play as bounty hunters with Mandalorian Helmets.

Just like I will..

And after reading that, the excitement is back.

CANNOT WAIT.

Time Warp:

kementari:

John Funk:

Yes, because one HAS to be a 13 year old kid to appreciate the philosophies of the dark side.

Totally.

Imperial Agent here, recording your treasons to the true rulers of the Galaxy.

I believe he meant that a good majority of sith will be immature people because its "all cool and dark i is vader like" in their eyes, not that you'd have to be immature to want to roll a sith.

Ughh half the people that i know who play wow are retards or girls. (not to be related im just saying girls dont really dig starwars to stay up with recent games like that) i asked one the other day and they infact believed Wow was the first MMO and there were no others.. Lets say half the people who play wow are like that. Chances are they will not even care if SWTOR is better. Wow will never be "killed" so to speak. Plus goldsellers cheaters not capable of controlling lag.. has killed so many Wow killers before.. may happen with swtor

BTW im one of those people who WISHED AND STILL WISHES Swtor to be single player :( god i hate MMO's

Will it knock WoW off its throne, only time will tell, but the points raised by Mr. Funk are bang on.

Im a big WoW fan and a bigger SW fan, so the idea of another MMO thrills me to the core, I just hope it doesnt go the way SWG did, but with the guys at BioWare behind it, I think we're safe.

I saw an estimated release date as the 26th of November this year for it, which means it'll be going up head to head with the new WoW expansion, a brave move but lets face it the game will be tough enough to win out I think. And it also speaks of the devs confidence in the game.

As far as sides go, Dark side, Imperial Agent is where Im gonna be at.

I cant wait, ive been replaying KOTOR and watchin the trilogy again. Not that I needed an excuse mind.

Roll on November, if nothing else, the MMO world is gonna get a bit more exciting! And I may finally kick my WoW habit for something else.

EvE, Aion, and LOTR all failed but no crack is sweeter than SW crack.

tmujir955:

Did you see the trailer for X-Men:Last stand? It was also fucking epic. Too bad the movie sucked.

Honestly, dont trust trailers. Thats how they suck you in. Play the trail first, else you could be in for some disappointment.

A13X T3h NubCak3:
im just saying girls dont really dig starwars to stay up with recent games like that

I find your lack of faith disturbing...

I'll play it.

tmujir955:

now thats a little slice of awesome!!
I think my Avatar gives my opinion XD

Computer-Noob:

tmujir955:

Did you see the trailer for X-Men:Last stand? It was also fucking epic. Too bad the movie sucked.

Honestly, dont trust trailers. Thats how they suck you in. Play the trail first, else you could be in for some disappointment.

I was just joking. See, had I been conversing normally to you, you would have understood that. I guess emotion can't be carried over the Internet.

To clarify, I'm not saying the trailer isn't fucking epic(Cause everyone knows it is) but I am saying that trailers don't make the game.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here