Five Reasons Why The Old Republic Is a Threat to WoW

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Tiny116:

tmujir955:
Er... you meant dual-wielding lightsabers for that last one, right?

Also, I think you're right. If any game can topple WOW, or at least steal a chunk of its fans, it will be TOR. I mean, have you seen that trailer!? It's fucking epic.

now thats a little slice of awesome!!
I think my Avatar gives my opinion XD

Add a top hat and monocle, and you're set FOR LIFE.

Psychosocial:
Sure, there are loads of people who think it's "cool" to be evil and bad. But there are loads more who think being the hero makes you cool and all too.

That's what I'm saying. The Jedi don't appear to be the "heroes" in this game. Maybe some old people who remember the original trilogy in theaters will stick to Jedi because they're "heroes", but as older players have a tendency to be more skilled and less dramatic, that's relatively okay with me.

Bioware is clearly casting the Sith as, if not the "protagonists", then definitely "the guys you're supposed to root for". I believe your claim that kiddies will want to play "the heroes", while fundamentally correct, is in this instance flawed. The Sith are going to be perceived as "the heroes" in this game, and between Darth Bane and Darth Maul, not to mention Vader and Fett, I think I'll be on the side that doesn't have the "cool" appeal.

tmujir955:

factualsquirrel:

tmujir955:

Also, I think you're right. If any game can topple WOW, or at least steal a chunk of its fans, it will be TOR. I mean, have you seen that trailer!? It's fucking epic.

yeah, but also a complete lie. and this game is going to be fuckin awesome.

Heheheh.

By the way, I'm not saying it's gonna be bad, it's just that the actual experience will be absolutely nothing like that, even more so than some other game adverts.

A13X T3h NubCak3:
just saying girls dont really dig starwars to stay up with recent games like tha

My Mrs. loves StarWars same as these pair :

(couldnt find a better pic, was rushing...)

factualsquirrel:

tmujir955:

factualsquirrel:

tmujir955:

Heheheh.

By the way, I'm not saying it's gonna be bad, it's just that the actual experience will be absolutely nothing like that, even more so than some other game adverts.

I hope it's not going to be anything like that trailer, but I think I'll be disappointed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORWPCCzSgu0 can explain why.

TLDR: beautifully choreographed dance moves with glowing swords = no thanks.

tmujir955:

Tiny116:

tmujir955:

now thats a little slice of awesome!!
I think my Avatar gives my opinion XD

Add a top hat and monocle, and you're set FOR LIFE.

Wizard AND Jedi, I'd Pawn them ALL

This looks amazing, but you know what will stop me from playing it?
I'm not shelling out the money for a gaming PC. =(
Oh well.

kementari:

factualsquirrel:

tmujir955:

factualsquirrel:

tmujir955:

Heheheh.

I hope it's not going to be anything like that trailer, but I think I'll be disappointed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORWPCCzSgu0 can explain why.

Well, I don't think you'll have to worry about it being like the trailer.

Also, what part of the trailer, 'cos I'm not watching 10 minutes for something I might miss?

I'll say a game will beat WoW when I see it. I've been playing 4 years. I've left to play other games, like WAR, but returned when they just didn't have the ability to keep me playing. I don't care about the leveling or professions part of the game, I want to see what the end-game is going to be like before I move games again.

It's the downfall to a 10-day trial account. You play the first bit of the game thinking it's awesome and then get to the end and think, "oh fuck, what do I do now?" WoW has had pretty good content release throughout it's game years. TOR will have to keep pace or people are going to get bored and go back.

I honestly WANT a game to compete with WoW. Might make Blizzard think they actually have to do something to keep customers.

factualsquirrel:

Well, I don't think you'll have to worry about it being like the trailer.

Also, what part of the trailer, 'cos I'm not watching 10 minutes for something I might miss?

Just the general style of lightsaber fights since The Phantom Menace. LOTS OF TWIRLIES and showboating... I don't care how attuned you are to the Force, that's gonna get you killed.

EDIT: You meant what time in the video, didn't you. About 6:00 in. Although the entire 70 minutes of this 7-part series is totally worth watching.

kementari:
Just the general style of lightsaber fights since The Phantom Menace. LOTS OF TWIRLIES and showboating... I don't care how attuned you are to the Force, that's gonna get you killed.

Oh right, yeah. I've always felt that most of those fights would last about five seconds if they did that kind of thing.

Also, I meant battles on that scale, and planned attacks, the game itself is gonna be the most twirly MMO since barbie's ballet princess party*

*not a real game Well, I hope to God it isn't

I think this very well could maybe not END WoW but be a serious competitor, and to the statement of all the stupid little kids playing on one side or the other, I am either going to be a smuggler or an Imperial agent (both the roguish class) but most likely a smuggler because I can never be evil in a game ESPECIALLY in a bioware game with choice and all that.

I think TOR might have a chance. I will probably buy it only if it seems to me like KOTOR 3, which will never come. Cause Lucas Arts are retards.

John Funk:
John Funk still can't make up his mind about being a Jedi Knight or a Sith Inquisitor.

I think that the choice is fairly obvious.

Go Sith or i will personally hunt you down and make you one.

I agree that the Star Wars fan base does indeed make it a big threat to WoW. But, I'm not sure how keen veteran WoW players will be switching to a new MMORPG, leaving all their work on their WoW character to go to waste.

Join Us, Or You Shall Not Receive Are Delicious Dark Side Cookies

Undeadundertaker333:
I think this very well could maybe not END WoW but be a serious competitor,

Wiezzen:
I agree that the Star Wars fan base does indeed make it a big threat to WoW. But, I'm not sure how keen veteran WoW players will be switching to a new MMORPG, leaving all their work on their WoW character to go to waste.

On this note, it should not need to be said that an MMO does not actually need to dethrone WoW to be fiscally successful. Prior to WoW, 500,000 players was a huge, profitable playerbase. Assuming developers aren't stupid enough to overspend by a huge margin (and this is EA we're talking about, so that is quite the assumption, but hey, optimism), carving out a little niche of a million players is not impossible, and if you can't make back your investment on a million players who play for a couple years, you spent too much on your MMO.

STAR WARRRRSSSSS but yeah nothing will ever be a threat to WoW, i mean like srsly every1 said that conan and Warhammer were going to crush it, similar things were even said about Aion, but alas wow goes on >:{

Nothing is a threat to WoW. I'm not a supporter of it or anything, but it has a user-base all to itself. People won't quit WoW to play the Old Republic or any other MMO. They'll just start playing it while continuing to play WoW. Eventually WoW's user numbers will start to dwindle, but that will happen on its own, gradually...not because of any outside influence. And by then, Blizzard will have all the users leaving WoW hooked on Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, or their next secret MMO.

ToR does look great, though. I'll definitely be giving it a try. Bioware is full of win. I just don't know if I'll be able to pull myself away from their single-player RPGs long enough to play their MMO.

kementari:
[By the way, I'm not saying it's gonna be bad, it's just that the actual experience will be absolutely nothing like that, even more so than some other game adverts.

Thank you so much for that link - provided many a laugh for me.

On topic; I genuinely hope this is good. I want to get into an RPG from the start - and its this or FFXIV (which I think arrives first).

Save money in the long run, plus I might actually play it. I've bought every RPG out in the last two years and not played one of them because I don't have the time to learn each one.

WoW is still a pile of shite and I wish people would stop talking about it and that something new would take its place.

Does anyone else think that this is going to be incredibly unbalanced?

Regardless of whether they choose Republic or Sith, everyone's going to want to be a Jedi Knight.

Mr.Tea:
WoW is still a pile of shite and I wish people would stop talking about it and that something new would take its place.

And many, many people would disagree with you ;)

Random Bobcat:

Thank you so much for that link - provided many a laugh for me.

Watch the other ones, they're really quite good. Here: http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/12/17/watch-this-70-minute-video-review-of-star-wars-the-phantom-menace/

I think the constant claims of "WoW players will never give up WoW for another game, even Star Wars" are mistaken. I've played WoW since launch, and have devoted (embarrassing number removed) days /played to my several characters, raided and PvPed up to the higher echelons, and accrued more achievement points than anyone should proudly admit to, but if TOR is any good, I'll be jumping ship at the first opportunity.

It really has very little to do with how much I've "invested" in the character and much more to do with the fact that five years of any game makes it go stale. Star Wars is a franchise I've loved since I was eight; Warcraft is a franchise I discovered in 2004 when a friend took me along to the Fry's in Fountain Valley for the midnight release of some game I'd never heard of. I don't hate WoW, I just love Star Wars more. And I can't be the only one like me.

It will be interesting to see if we get the same thing that happened with Galaxies that the majority of europeans were Imperial and the majority of Americans were rebels.

I've played WOW and it never really grabbed me. This grabs me already. I absolutely adored Galaxies when it first came out and then it got pooped on. I know this is a different style of game but it still looks good. I just wish someone would release a game based on the original model of Galaxies. (Preferably set in the Old West but that's just me)

Crystal Cuckoo:

Regardless of whether they choose Republic or Sith, everyone's going to want to be a Jedi Knight.

You'd be surprised at the amount of people that want to roll Bounty Hunter.

Another advantage Bioware has (and i probably will get shouted at for this but fuck you all) is that they have Mythic with them. Yes WAR wasn't that good (i still shed a tear and hope for Wood Elfs) but they did make Dark Age of Camelot and its still bloody going and was pretty new and epic back in the day.

Looking forward to TOC though, fighting my brother in lightsabre duels of EPIC DOOM! shall be most enjoyable :P

And John your rolling Jedi with me so that we can conquer the universe as father and son . . . . . . . . . . and then hand out cookies and hugs to all the children.

That this is made by BioWare is the only thing that could ever convince me to venture into the world of MMOs - something I've managed to avoid like the plague for the past 5 years.
But this...this will eat my soul.
And I'm kinda OK with that.

They need to add the Twilight-Twilight as between good and evil not the book...- Jedi.

Psychosocial:
Really good article, I liked what I read.

As the Bioware fanboy I am, I'll buy the game regardless of if I have my new computer or not. :P

Pretty much same here. Although got new computer so just waiting. I want to give it a shot anyway, to say I have done

I think I might be the only one who wants to be a republic trooper.

bladester1:
They need to add the Twilight-Twilight as between good and evil not the book...- Jedi.

I think you mean Gray Jedi, but yeah. I can't even RP my Potentium Jedi because Phanius doesn't exist until 1500 years after this game. T_T

Computer-Noob:

tmujir955:

Did you see the trailer for X-Men:Last stand? It was also fucking epic. Too bad the movie sucked.

Honestly, dont trust trailers. Thats how they suck you in. Play the trail first, else you could be in for some disappointment.

Agreed, or at least look at game play footage instead of the irrelevant opening cinematic.

Kill World of Warcraft!? I doubt it.

A feirce rival? Maybe.

Crystal Cuckoo:

I wanna be a smuggler!

I admit TOR looks awesome and I will be trying it.

But 11 million+ subscribers? You CANT take that many, ever.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here