Five Reasons Why The Old Republic Is a Threat to WoW

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Callate:
The Agent, as described, uses explosives and sniper attacks at range. I remain skeptical.

It seems nothing but the finished product will sway you one way or the other regarding the Agent (a mindset I understand and with which I sympathize), so let me only say one more thing regarding it:

Stealth sniper classes have been done before in dozens of games, and were balanced in the majority of them. As the giant Bioware fanboy you appear through your glowing descriptions of their games to be, well, I find your lack of faith disturbing. ;)

Callate:
At the risk of making myself a huge target for angry flaming, I'm going to venture a guess that most of WoW's community doesn't play it for the storyline.

And I'm likewise going to venture a guess that you haven't devoted a significant chunk of time (across real life months/years, not days /played) to playing WoW, if at all. The story is more important to the average WoW player than you'd think, but it doesn't change the fact that to keep players, an MMO needs to have good gameplay first, and a flawless story totally adherent to the source material second.

Some of the devs might be Star Wars fans, true, but it's their writers that matter when it comes to lore and immersion. I maintain that there's absolutely nothing wrong with a developer who's in charge of a class or loot or class balance to have the mindset of an MMO player. I don't want vegans making my chocolate cakes, and I don't want writers designing my gameplay. If I'm going to have a chocolate cake, it's going to be baked by the fattest, jolliest connoisseur I can find, and if I'm going to play a video game, I want its developers to talk like the people I used to hear on Vent at the pinnacles of raiding and PvP. In other words, it's reassuring, because I know they know what they're doing.

I guess I can empathize if you just get turned off by that type of speech no matter where you hear it, but please realize it's not the end of the world to hear an MMO developer talk about phat lewts.

John Funk:
Shhhh. You're taking one of my points for next week :(

If you like I'll even give you a great lead in quote for it! :D

"Among those who think corporately only a rebel would strike out alone, without consultation and without companions. The individual does not think of himself as a self sufficient unit, but as a part of the group." -- Donald A. McGavran

Hey,

I fully agree with "The reign of a king can't go unchallenged forever.", the MMO to challenge WoW's success will be Blizzard's new MMO whatever they come up, whenever it'll be. There are challengers comming and going, even with WoW's class "balance" making it a one big meaningless blob, boring gameplay and repetetive encounters it's still the best MMO on the market, it will stay like this, other IPs aren't popular, there's barely any marketing compared and no one will touch Blizzard's quality, they're making timeless diamonds, like it or not.

NC will spew out annother shitty MMO no one cares about beside graphics whores, Mythic won't fix WAR (the only competetor for WoW, IMHO) becouse what's fucked up by EA will stay fucked untill it dies (exept for sports games, the target market is just developing it's second braincell). This will come, grab fiew subers and stale, like any other.

museli:

chozo_hybrid:
"To start off, TOR is sci-fi, not fantasy, which is a huge advantage in itself. "

Funny, I've always seen it as fantasy. We got sword fights "magic" powers, prophecy's and the word destiny is thrown around a lot.

I agree, Star Wars is definitely fantasy. People should remember that a space setting does not mean something is automatically sci-fi. Similarly, you can have sci-fi in what appears to be a fantasy setting. Point 3 remains valid though, as it is offering a completely different style of setting to WoW.

Wow, you're the first that's agreed with me. It always starts arguments among my friends when I say it.

It does remain valid, you're right :) I look forward to having a go at this when they release it.

Would people please stop talking about the trailer? It's a good piece of entertainment but it wasn't even made by Bioware it was made by blur studios, the same people who made the trailers for Terminator Salvation, Warhammer Online and Goldfish Crackers: Blast Off. Its only relevance to the game is that it's based off of it.
Returning to the subject at hand I refuse to believe that this game will pose an actual challenge to WoW, mostly because I'm a Blizzard fanboy. Admittedly Blizzard also started producing their MMORPG without much experience and bioware have proven that they're badasses in game design but WoW wasn't first released alongside an expansion pack for a MMORPG with 11 million subscribers that had been running for 5 years. People (in my experience at least) always bitch about Blizzard for not getting everything perfect as if their success makes them some sort of tyrannical overlords, eagerly awaiting some shining revolutionary hero to free them from the opression of a badly made game, but with all the coverage and inspection each new game gets there's no way WoW would be this successful if Blizzard weren't better at MMORPG game design than their competition unless MMORPG players are either actively ignorant of better games or they play WoW *because* it's a bad game.
Just to reiterate I'm a fanboy so don't take this is an objective opinion.
On an unrelated note (Hennemore)thank you so much kementari for posting the link to that review of the Phantom Menace, It's really made me appreciate fights as more than just visual eyecandy.

soultwister:
Hey,

I fully agree with "The reign of a king can't go unchallenged forever.", the MMO to challenge WoW's success will be Blizzard's new MMO whatever they come up, whenever it'll be. There are challengers comming and going, even with WoW's class "balance" making it a one big meaningless blob, boring gameplay and repetetive encounters it's still the best MMO on the market, it will stay like this, other IPs aren't popular, there's barely any marketing compared and no one will touch Blizzard's quality, they're making timeless diamonds, like it or not.

NC will spew out annother shitty MMO no one cares about beside graphics whores, Mythic won't fix WAR (the only competetor for WoW, IMHO) becouse what's fucked up by EA will stay fucked untill it dies (exept for sports games, the target market is just developing it's second braincell). This will come, grab fiew subers and stale, like any other.

I can't think of a single reason WAR is more of a competitor to WoW than SWTOR other than simple experience. Warhammer is a far less popular license, the game appeared in every way to be "WoW Lite," Mythic had no previous Warhammer games under its belt, and there were no lightsabers.

The only thing that could have really gone for it was the experience of the design team, but that didn't fare all that well in hindsight.

I just want to know: What game lets you poke sheep in the ass with a spoon?!? Not that that's an activity I'm interested in, mind you...

I just hope the KoToR fans are open to change.

WoW is going on it's 3rd expansion now, at the end of it's Warcraft lore, and now it's reverting and revamping, creating NEW lore and revamped (Cataclysm) areas. The fans are eating it up, anxious to see who is going to be the next what. (have you seen the "next Lich King" controversy? I could write a book on it!) Lore is set in stone, and the WoW fanbase is utterly starving for more.

Now, how elastic are the fans of Star Wars. What if they killed off a very important character that no one would EVER think of killing off by the hands of some wary wanderer. WoW did it, can Star Wars do it without unleashing a uprising fanbase hell? How well will they take change to their beloved story and lore?

That, to me, is what is going to be the selling point.

I personally dont play MMOs because the whole ideal of paying for a game seems to be supid (I only play WoW because it can be played without payment). I would play a single player version of it like the last two Old Republic games.

I'm really not a fan of either Star Wars and KOTOR, BUT I'm a huge fan of BioWare post-Mass-Effect, after that game came, I never saw RPGs the same, and I also own Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2, wich are awesome too. Saying I'm not a fan of Star Wars may be an understatement, as I've seen every single movie, from Ep1 to 6 and I understand what's going on and almost every single definition the series have, it's just that I don't die for every single piece of software or anything bearing the Star Wars name past beyond the movies, same with The Lord of The Rings. I've yet to experience KOTOR, but I'm looking more forward to playing SW:TOR. Voice acting for every single NPC in a MMO, BioWare style? YES PLEASE!

Having played (and been addicted to) WoW for a couple of years, and having played and beaten both KotOR games, kept mostly up to date on the videos of TOR's development and reading the Q&A's I could find.. I feel inclined to disagree with the article comment about taking Number 2. I agree it won't "kill" WoW; WoW will always have its fanboys, and it'll be around for a while (at least, until Blizzard can't think of more ways to introduce a new "most powerful being" for players to bring down). I'm not saying TOR will immediately just waltz in and be right on top right away, I'm not that stupid. But I have confidence that TOR can and will dethrone WoW in time.

In reality i don't think it's going to be much of a threat because WoW is good(otherwise it wouldn't have those 9 million or so players, in comparison to say Age of Conan's 50,000 or WarHammer Onlines !million or so and yes I did waste my time looking up the figures what can i say my cock has friction burns from masturbating and i now have quite a bit of free time) and despite "normal" gamers enjoying a variety of games, mmorpg'rs in my experience stick to the thing they like and nothing else. Yes this is wow with lightsabres and i suppose the star wars fans will go and play it but unless it is actually just wow with lightsabre's why bother? You'll have the Starwars fans and the people who will end up buying it because they've watched that episode of South Park and don't really want to buy WoW incase their friends make fun of them (that's why I have no friends). Plus I think you can get lightsabre's in WoW one from Argent Dawn grinding and another from a Burning Crusade raid, so if lightsabre's mean so much to the people playing WoW they already have an outlet.

Hypothetically however I'd love to saunter into Stormwind and start going Jedi on their arse's, the concept of Darth Mauling all those dwarves makes me hornier than Josef Fritzel looking at a Family Photo Album.

Ok I was gonna keep my mouth shut, but you're a freaking idiot! Have you actually researched the game before bashing it? It's not just "WoW with lightsabers" it has a lot of key differences: one, it's fully voiced, two the combat is radically different: You can engage multiple enemies at the same time and you can do different attacks and combos(instead of just right-clicking on an enemy, whaling on them and tuning out for an hour). Thirdly, the classes are 10 times more balanced than WoW's classes could ever hope to be! I don't mind if you have criticisms of the game, but at least put some effort into your feedback. Calling it a "WoW clone" isn't just retarded, it's ignorant.

Asher Ely:
Ok I was gonna keep my mouth shut, but you're a freaking idiot! Have you actually researched the game before bashing it? It's not just "WoW with lightsabers" it has a lot of key differences: one, it's fully voiced, two the combat is radically different: You can engage multiple enemies at the same time and you can do different attacks and combos(instead of just right-clicking on an enemy, whaling on them and tuning out for an hour). Thirdly, the classes are 10 times more balanced than WoW's classes could ever hope to be! I don't mind if you have criticisms of the game, but at least put some effort into your feedback. Calling it a "WoW clone" isn't just retarded, it's ignorant.

First: Being fully voiced means NOTHING. If anything for people who don't care about the store it'll be a hindrance as it prevents them from peacefully skipping through the flavor text to get to the objective. Everquest II was also fully voice, or mostly I think, but that's not doing much for it in terms of competing with WoW. It even had to go F2P to survive.

Second: WoW's combat, like all MMOs, is not just "auto attack," you need to know when to use skills, manage w/e resources your class has, and coordinate with team mates. This really isn't even a valid argument against anything other than a Korean grind fest.

Third: You don't know the classes will be more balanced than WoW's. No one does. The game isn't out yet. No matter how hard the devs try to balance them, they can't predict how players will build and play their characters, that's partly why MMOs come out with patches.

Lastly I'll throw in my two cents: I think the story angle is stupid. The most important "stories" in MMOs are the dynamic experiences you get while playing, how you joined a guild, became friends, and then took out that boss monster, or that one time you were killing rats when a field boss spawned and you ran like hell, things like that. I could care less about the flavor text.

The other thing is uniqueness, I'm playing this game with 1000s of other people, and I want my guy to stand out. It seems like the story will be one of those "fate of the galaxy rest in your hands" type dealies Bioware typically does, but I don't really get the chosen one feel if everyone else is going through the exact same heroic journey I am (even if they have the option to be more or less of a jerk than I would). Let's be real here, Bioware isn't going to handcraft a unique story for 1000s of players, there'll be just one narrative arc for each class. The only possible way for them to be unique is if they randomize it, Jedi A will have to destroy this base, while Jedi B will get a mission to save this hostage, something like that, which would offer a somewhat unique experience, which I'm hoping they'll do, but I kind of feel like they won't.

The last problem with it is that Bioware could tell an absolutely amazing story that'll get everybody into it, and it'll be the greatest Star Wars story ever, but it'll have to end at some point, and if rest of the game doesn't offer something unique and innovative OTHER than the story, it's just not worth paying a subscription for.

Activison Blizzard has more money than EA, so the "Funds" reason is invalid. The other reasons are based on infantile thinking or what the game COULD be; just like it COULD be the world's best-selling game.
From what I've seen, it's World of Warcraft with more sci-fi, more enemies on-screen, and more dialog. The UI looks the same, the gameplay mechanics look the same and the dialog and voice-acting is abysmally boring in comparison to much better versions of the same thing (such as what KotOR and Mass Effect have). The graphics look okay though. Keep-in-mind, that's just my opinion.

I suppose people are bored of World of Warcraft and need to convince themselves that a new exciting MMO is on the horizon. It was the same deal with Age of Conan and Warhammer Online.
Any sane person would sit back, chillax, and wait for the game to come out before getting their hopes up. Personally, I'm more looking forward to PlanetSide 2, at least that game is significantly different from WoW.

Been enjoying it so far as a heavily-muscled Bounty Hunter carrying an arsenal of weapons to shame an FPS.

Having played WoW for about three years before quitting, one thing ToR has going for it that isn't even the company's doing is the 'clean slate' factor. To me WoW has become unplayable at high levels due to a demanding need for top-level gear and rotations to participate in endgame PvP and dungeons. Pretty much any group recruiting for such a run will end their communiques with 'must know fights'.

ToR doesn't have that annoyance yet. It's challenging sure- even the Heroic missions require everyone to contribute and understand their roles (one complaint I have is the respawn rate in outdoor/non-instanced Heroics, it should be much slower than normal or not at all). But you won't be kicked out of an Operation or Flaspoint for not having the best gear or not knowing how each boss works.

While more additions to endgame content will be expected (they've already made that new Rakghoul one), I hope that victory or defeat remains dependent on strategy, not how many hours you spent grinding Commendations (which so far are not terribly useful anyway).

One reason why ST:TOR won't beat WoW:
Because it's a shit version of WoW.

Interesting, how this turned out to be completely wrong.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here