Review: Darksiders

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Review: Darksiders

The Legend of Zelda gets apocalyptic.

Read Full Article

sounds awesome, a must buy in next month where i dont have to live on a hobo budget anymore, also i liked your old avatar better, despite not knowing what it was, it was cute.

I honestly don't see the Zelda in this game, sure it has puzzles and dungeon trekking but it doesn nearly have the same feel LoZ does, but on its own it is an ok game.

swaki:
i liked your old avatar better, despite not knowing what it was, it was cute.

I second this!

I'm honestly surprised (and somewhat dissapointed) that this game isn't out for PC yet actually. THQ is a well-known supporter of Microsoft's Games For Windows Live system, and, much as I hate the program, it does seem odd that they didn't port this game. I realize that control might be a bit wonky, but other games in this vein have, in my experience, translated to the PC without heavy control issues, such as DMC3 and 4.

I want to buy this game... But Mass Effect 2 is more important... must...resist...buying impulses.

Well, since Legend of Zelda officially went divebomb with the DS releases, I guess I'll go with this. Besides, it means I won't have to bring back my Wii from depths of hell yet unknown to Satan himself.
Besides, gore and grittiness is something I've always wanted to see in Zelda

Am I only one who, when this game was first announced, thought it was a game about being a Sith?

This sounds like a game for me. I only wonder if the game is too repetitious. Similar monsters, similar puzzles...
I can stand a game using same schemes in different levels, but I hope it don't gets too heavy.
Also I wonder how the balance between fighting and puzzles is.

LeonLethality:
I honestly don't see the Zelda in this game, sure it has puzzles and dungeon trekking but it doesn nearly have the same feel LoZ does, but on its own it is an ok game.

Minus the introduction, so far it feels exactly like Legend of Zelda to me. For me, it's in the details where the similarities really shine through. You collect 4 Lifeshard(heart) pieces to increase your health, cars(pots and grass) can be smashed open for souls(rupies), letter boxing when targeting and solving puzzles, and the list goes on. And I am loving every post apocalyptic minutes of it.

Slycne:

LeonLethality:

Minus the introduction, so far it feels exactly like Legend of Zelda to me. For me, it's in the details where the similarities really shine through. You collect 4 Lifeshard(heart) pieces to increase your health, cars(pots and grass) can be smashed open for souls(rupies), letter boxing when targeting and solving puzzles, and the list goes on. And I am loving every post apocalyptic minutes of it.

The Watcher needed more "Hey! Listen!", IMO.

swaki:
sounds awesome, a must buy in next month where i dont have to live on a hobo budget anymore, also i liked your old avatar better, despite not knowing what it was, it was cute.

Haro might return someday ;)

Slycne:

LeonLethality:

I know they are very similar but I said it doesn't feel like Zelda at all, it feels just like most games of its genre (Which is not a bad thing) I guess to me nothing can replicate the experience of Zelda.

LeonLethality:

Slycne:

LeonLethality:

I know they are very similar but I said it doesn't feel like Zelda at all, it feels just like most games of its genre (Which is not a bad thing) I guess to me nothing can replicate the experience of Zelda.

To each their own, I was simply pointing out that it was the little details, more so then just puzzles and dungeons, that took me back to yesteryear of playing Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Christmas morning.

Certainly sounds intresting, then input of a Portal like gun! Ok! Im sold..lol, looks like January going to be another busy month for games!

Renting first. I mean, this whole "Horseman of the Apocalypse" thing just doesn't sound cool to me...And I bet I'm the only one here that thinks that, btw.

Besides, I'm too fucking busy getting my ass kicked doing my Hard mode run in Bayonetta...Seriously, I can't get the hang of any weapon set except for "Katana + Ice Skates" which makes my ranged options limited.

Considering that the artists at Blizzard basically copied Joe Mad! (The artist of Darksiders) for WoW's Aesthetic, I find it kind of infuriating that people are calling his work derivative of WoW. However, WoW's massive popularization of his style does mean that it doesn't look that special anymore and he should work on changing things up a little.

I guess that stake thing is the closest we'll ever get to Yahtzee's "Penis extension gun that pins baddies to walls with entire trees"

Great review Funk. I think this is one I'll have to pick up because of my enjoyment for blood spilling in games and Zelda action.

PedroSteckecilo:
Considering that the artists at Blizzard basically copied Joe Mad! (The artist of Darksiders) for WoW's Aesthetic, I find it kind of infuriating that people are calling his work derivative of WoW. However, WoW's massive popularization of his style does mean that it doesn't look that special anymore and he should work on changing things up a little.

Well yeah, I'm not saying he copied WoW, just that for many modern gamers it's going to be probably the thing that comes to mind.

One thing I really liked about this game is the bosses were slightly more puzzle-like then twitch based (for the most part, there's some quick dodging/throwing you have to do occasionally). Outside of a certain teleport spamming jerk, I enjoyed figuring out and playing through all the boss fights.

And there's a few segments where you go through a series of arena fights with different requirements (kill 50 enemies before your slowly draining life runs out, Kill 30 enemies with air combos, etc) that were half tutorial, half awesome mayhem of chopping up a room full of baddies. I made the mistake of playing on hard mode and did fine until I hit two of the big charging demons at once, and they would consistently one shot me with cross-fire. :(

Regarding Art: Penny Arcade said it pretty well, and linked to the character artist's galleries here: http://www.joemadfan.com/gallery

xitel:
I'm honestly surprised (and somewhat dissapointed) that this game isn't out for PC yet actually. THQ is a well-known supporter of Microsoft's Games For Windows Live system, and, much as I hate the program, it does seem odd that they didn't port this game. I realize that control might be a bit wonky, but other games in this vein have, in my experience, translated to the PC without heavy control issues, such as DMC3 and 4.

And when controls do get wonky, you plug in a gamepad and continue. Theyre not even that expensive and they come in useful from time to time.

Im going to hope it eventually gets ported. Slim chance, but a girl can hope, right? Than so can I. :)

Now I will get this.

WHEN IS IT OUT IN EUROPE?!

The cannon reminded me of that gun Yahtzee talked about; The one that fires shurikens and lightning.

ALSO I would like to say how much I enjoyed Johns use of the LoZ music at the end, where the hero is riding his horse.

LeonLethality:

swaki:

I second this!

A agree with this. The game feels more like Dynasty Warriors or DMC and Prototype than Legend of Zelda. Roommate played it for a few hours and I watched, seeing no Zelda-like aspects aside from the occasional puzzle room (which was presented as more separate dungeon than a room in a dungeon).

I'm sticking with Bayonetta for now. I'll pick this up when it drops to around 20 bucks probably.

The game looks totally awesome. There is no really location loading. You know, what Oblivion should have been like, in the sense that it's all one map.

Great review btw.

PxDn Ninja:

LeonLethality:

swaki:

I second this!

A agree with this. The game feels more like Dynasty Warriors or DMC and Prototype than Legend of Zelda. Roommate played it for a few hours and I watched, seeing no Zelda-like aspects aside from the occasional puzzle room (which was presented as more separate dungeon than a room in a dungeon).

I'm sticking with Bayonetta for now. I'll pick this up when it drops to around 20 bucks probably.

If it was the first hour or two, then yes, there's nothing Zelda there. It isn't until you hit the dungeons that it starts SCREAMING Zelda at the top of its lungs - to me, anyway.

If Darksiders is ever released on PC (and the rumour mill says it will) then the FIRST thing I will be looking for will be how to import Legend of Zelda music and sound effect.

Oh it would be such win!

One of the better purchases I have made lately, it has to be said. And who cares if it rips off God of War and Zelda a bit? There is a saying 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery', and that rings true here.

Hey John... there actually is a jingle when you solve a puzzle in Darksiders, you can hear it in this video at around 1:18. The first time I heard it, I actually laugh because that more or less sealed the deal on this being a Zelda game. For those of you thinking this game is more of beat-em up instead of a puzzle solving game, do watch the video :P.

I don't mind the fact that it's basically Zelda... I love Zelda. To me thought, it's actually better than Zelda in many ways - I loved Brutal Legend despite it being a so-so game because of the graphical style... and Darksiders is incredibly metal. The game's aesthetic and artistic's voice are way superior to Zelda's... for me, anyway.

I'm really enjoying the combat system. I love that once you've trained yourself to anticipate the different's enemies' attack pattern, you're almost untouchable and the whole screen just fills with a over the top dance of death.

Really? Hmmm, I might actually have to check this game out. I love Zelda games.

John Funk:
If it was the first hour or two, then yes, there's nothing Zelda there. It isn't until you hit the dungeons that it starts SCREAMING Zelda at the top of its lungs - to me, anyway.

I saw him enter the first dungeon, but it still didn't have much of a Zelda feel. But I wasn't the player, and maybe that has something to do with it (though he didn't see it either).

All I have been hearing is it is like zelda because "It has dungeons, a boomerang, and a hookshot"

PxDn Ninja:

John Funk:

I saw him enter the first dungeon, but it still didn't have much of a Zelda feel. But I wasn't the player, and maybe that has something to do with it (though he didn't see it either).

All I have been hearing is it is like zelda because "It has dungeons, a boomerang, and a hookshot"

It's much more than that. It's a game that relies heavily on exploration and puzzles rather than just combat, shares' the Zelda pattern of "Go to a dungeon, explore dungeon, find switches and push blocks to access new areas, find you cannot access new area without power/item/ability, fight miniboss to get said power/item/ability, solve more puzzles with your new power/item/ability, fight boss where said power/item/ability plays a huge role, get an extra heart container life stone."

If you play the game, it's absolutely unmistakable once you're in the dungeons.

Y'all have to define "Zelda Feel". From what Mr. Funk is saying, it borrows heavily from that franchise, so heavily in fact that its inspiration is left across the entire game. What makes Darksiders different from a Zelda game? Less dialogue? Not as heroic theming? Less undercurrent of magic or whimsy?

I'd check it out but I'm already committed to Mass Effect 2 this month, not to mention the things I got over the holidays. But post-apocalypse puzzle-dipped action = yes.

That sounds pretty awesome, actually.

I'm glad I made the decision to get this today.

I have it, I love it. Trying to buy myself time before I beat it by grind-leveling the weapons. Haha.

And yes, as a long time Zelda fan, it's all there. The puzzle-solving, the weapon similarities, the dungeon schematics...Darksiders was definitely inspired heavily by Zelda...more so OoT.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here