Review: Darksiders

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

pneuma08:
What makes Darksiders different from a Zelda game? Less dialogue? Not as heroic theming? Less undercurrent of magic or whimsy?

Once you take off the layer of blood, gore and teenage power fantasy (which are all very well done btw), what really is different between Zelda and Darksiders is how over the top Darksider is. I don't remember monsters or encounters being this crazy and 'omgdidIjustdothat?' in Zelda.

John Funk:

PxDn Ninja:

John Funk:
If it was the first hour or two, then yes, there's nothing Zelda there. It isn't until you hit the dungeons that it starts SCREAMING Zelda at the top of its lungs - to me, anyway.

I saw him enter the first dungeon, but it still didn't have much of a Zelda feel. But I wasn't the player, and maybe that has something to do with it (though he didn't see it either).

All I have been hearing is it is like zelda because "It has dungeons, a boomerang, and a hookshot"

It's much more than that. It's a game that relies heavily on exploration and puzzles rather than just combat, shares' the Zelda pattern of "Go to a dungeon, explore dungeon, find switches and push blocks to access new areas, find you cannot access new area without power/item/ability, fight miniboss to get said power/item/ability, solve more puzzles with your new power/item/ability, fight boss where said power/item/ability plays a huge role, get an extra heart container life stone."

If you play the game, it's absolutely unmistakable once you're in the dungeons.

I'll definitely give it a shot once I finish my current slew of titles (ME2, Bayanetta, Saboteur, OF:Dragon Rising). The gameplay looked fun as hell when he played it, and perhaps then I'll see the Zelda qualities. What is the total play time roughly for the title? Is it a 10 hour game or 40 hour game, so to speak?

wow, i really really want to try that. didn't happen to see what systems that is releasing on...

and the music at the end fits perfectly! makes me want it even more!

The zelda music while war is riding on "epona" at the end made me shit my pants laughing

What is it with all you Mass Effect 2 piners not getting this game? I bought it precisely to keep my mind AWAY from the multiple weeks of waiting for ME2.

It is also awesome and having never heard of this Joe Mad fellow before today, it transpires that his art style is precisely what I've been trying to aspire to, should I break the damned shackles of realism in the one alien character I can actually draw.

Tuh. Now if I get better I'm ripping him off.

300lb. Samoan:
wow, i really really want to try that. didn't happen to see what systems that is releasing on...

360 and PS3.

Julianking93:
I'm glad I made the decision to get this today.

Is exactly what I will say when I get paid

I bought this on release day and had a blast with it, though I think the combat plays a bigger role than this review says it does.

Oh, and the ending (I felt) was totally badass.

300lb. Samoan:

and the music at the end fits perfectly! makes me want it even more!

Lord Thodin:
The zelda music while war is riding on "epona" at the end made me shit my pants laughing

Glad you both liked that, I thought it would be a nice way to tie everything said together.

I was able to grab this game as a rental on January 2nd, finished it, did a dance of joy at how indredibly cool it was and then bought it when it came out. The only gripes I had with it were fiddly controls towards the end (due to constantly having to reassign buttons) and a bland/generic soundtrack, but aside from those things Darksiders really does everything right.
Good review, Funk!

Im surprised the reviewer missed that Darksiders DOES have a zelda-esque sound when you solve puzzles.

Anyway I love it, and already beat it twice.

Hey! Listen! jk but looks awesome nontheless :)

Spinwhiz:
Great review Funk.

i second that. i love this game so much and i'm glad someone besides myself did a review on it...and that it was professional...and that people will actually see it, you know what I'm gunna go play now.

This game looks awesome.

Tarkand:

pneuma08:
What makes Darksiders different from a Zelda game? Less dialogue? Not as heroic theming? Less undercurrent of magic or whimsy?

Once you take off the layer of blood, gore and teenage power fantasy (which are all very well done btw), what really is different between Zelda and Darksiders is how over the top Darksider is. I don't remember monsters or encounters being this crazy and 'omgdidIjustdothat?' in Zelda.

You seem to forget the part of Twilight Princess that makes you feel like a Western gunslinger. That was by far my favorite part of the game.

Something, something, something.. Darksiders.

Pretty good review. I would get this game if I had a PS3.

Though... one problem... in your review, you point out that the "bulging shoulder pads" are reminscient of World of Warcraft... problem is, that sort of thing dates bake to the Warhammer and Warhammer 40K tabletop-figurine strategy games (just look at the space marine designs)... I know that this is a minor quibble, but I do think accuracy is important.

John Funk:
Review: Darksiders

The Legend of Zelda gets apocalyptic.

Read Full Article

I watched this review just so i could hear the signature "Hi, I'm John Fnnk", it's my favourite part. It's good to see someone not ripping on this game for being unoriginal, I might pick it up because I don't have an N64 and I can't play OoT to see what all the fuss is 'bowt.

TheDoctor455:

Though... one problem... in your review, you point out that the "bulging shoulder pads" are reminscient of World of Warcraft... problem is, that sort of thing dates bake to the Warhammer and Warhammer 40K tabletop-figurine strategy games (just look at the space marine designs)... I know that this is a minor quibble, but I do think accuracy is important.

No, I said that most gamers would probably find them reminiscent of WoW, considering it's the poster child for that art style these days and ... amongst laymen, probably MUCH more recognizable than Warhammer/40k.

I laughed my ass off at the Horse-Riding theme during the credits. Awesome review!

Yet another person fails their patience check, and now we have to get them out of a sticky mess because of it. Sounds like fun. :D

John Funk:

TheDoctor455:

No, I said that most gamers would probably find them reminiscent of WoW, considering it's the poster child for that art style these days and ... amongst laymen, probably MUCH more recognizable than Warhammer/40k.

Fair enough.

The monsters are the same throughout. However, there are, of course, dungeon specific enemies. Also, I didn't think the puzzles were overly the same.
I have to wonder about what John says about the instant kills getting boring because they are the same for that same type of enemy. God of War did the same thing and I don't hear anybody complaining about that. But anyway, I found this game to be pretty fun, if it does have some similarities to Zelda, but what game doesn't? LoZ practically invented most RPG elements still in use today.

I'd put it about 15, 20 or so with all the exploration you can do.

I totally agree. Just thought I'd say...

that's what i thought when I first saw War. I said "Hey, he looks like a badass Death Knight." Ripped Armor, big two-handed sword with screaming faces, and you can put "Enhancements" that make his sword glow different colors. Lots of similarities there.

oops, missed lots of quotes there...oh well...

Great review a must buy for me and the zelda song at the end cracked me up

Man that looks awesome! Throw in the Gerudo Valley music and I'll marry it :D

Xiado:
I guess that stake thing is the closest we'll ever get to Yahtzee's "Penis extension gun that pins baddies to walls with entire trees"

Or that fabled gun that shoots shurikens and lightning and has tits that's on fire.

I'm sorry, but when you say the Zelda similarities aren't a bad thing, I highly disagree. I love the Zelda games, but Darksiders rips things off CONSTANTLY! "Boomerang", "hookshot", summonable horse, doors with keys, block puzzles, "heart containers", "fairy" guide, dungeon maps in chests, secondary gear assigned to slots, and even fucking BOMB FLOWERS! It isn't "homage", it's blatant theft!

Also, I really don't like the aesthetic. The general look works for WoW, but this... I just don't care for it. Apocalypses should not look/feel pseudo-cartoony.

John Funk:

PedroSteckecilo:
Considering that the artists at Blizzard basically copied Joe Mad! (The artist of Darksiders) for WoW's Aesthetic, I find it kind of infuriating that people are calling his work derivative of WoW. However, WoW's massive popularization of his style does mean that it doesn't look that special anymore and he should work on changing things up a little.

Well yeah, I'm not saying he copied WoW, just that for many modern gamers it's going to be probably the thing that comes to mind.

They had 6 years to notice the similarities, it's not like it was a small indy game...

That said, once I got past the fact that the missions weren't just "kill everything", I enjoyed Darksiders. It's worth the rent :)

PxDn Ninja:

I'll definitely give it a shot once I finish my current slew of titles (ME2, Bayanetta, Saboteur, OF:Dragon Rising). The gameplay looked fun as hell when he played it, and perhaps then I'll see the Zelda qualities. What is the total play time roughly for the title? Is it a 10 hour game or 40 hour game, so to speak?

He says in the review, its something like 15+ hours game, varying on your exploration skills.

This game does look good, i was on the fence about this game. Seeing this review may have pushed me over, when i finsh the new games i bought (Mass Effect 1, Elder Scrools 4: Oblivion, Bioshock, Dragon Age: Origins) Yeah, it may be a while before i play this but mark my words, i will.

DO WANT. DO WANT A LOT. But as Daystar said Mass Effect 2 is much more important lol maybe after....

Daystar Clarion:
Am I only one who, when this game was first announced, thought it was a game about being a Sith?

Guilty :D

Loop Stricken:
What is it with all you Mass Effect 2 piners not getting this game? I bought it precisely to keep my mind AWAY from the multiple weeks of waiting for ME2.

Some of us don't have odles of money in our odles of money bags. Well that's why I'm not gonna get it yet.

Treblaine:
If Darksiders is ever released on PC (and the rumour mill says it will) then the FIRST thing I will be looking for will be how to import Legend of Zelda music and sound effect.

Oh it would be such win!

Any websites to quote on this rumour? Cause it better... This game kinda catapulted to almost the top of "must have" games. I've actually always lamented the fact that you can't hamstring enemies as the wolf in Twilight Princess. Come on Nintendo. Golden opportunity there!

TheNamlessGuy:
Now I will get this.

WHEN IS IT OUT IN EUROPE?!

From what I've seen, it's out everywhere except Japan.

It isn't until an hour or so in, when you reach the game's first true dungeon, when you realize that Darksiders isn't God of War or Dante's Inferno or Bayonetta after all: It's The Legend of Zelda.

Which damn sucks, because I wanted a Hack N Slash game... I freaking hate running around a supposed enemy complex figuring out where the gears to X machine go... with an hour or more between combat, depending on how frustrated I get with the puzzles.

I'm only keeping at playing it because I dropped a $109 on it... it came out the same day as Bayonetta and I had both games in my hands trying to make up my mind on my lunch break, I decided to grab Darksiders for the story and for how cool the idea of playing one of the 4HM would be...

Big freaking mistake. I don't mind puzzle games, but I wasn't in the mind set for a puzzle game when I sat down, I was in the mode for something where I continually kill crap. You're playing WAR. THE RED RIDER. I don't care if he's been castrated he shouldn't be running around like some Elf in green tights fixing machines so he can get to X McGuffin... he should be punching down walls and ripping off freaking heads.

Here's an idea of how annoyed I am with the game, it's been fairly hot here the last couple of days, mid 40s, so when my xbox crashed just after I left Edan did I howl in frustration like I should of? no. I thought "oh thank god, now I can play something else for a while", turned my machine back on and started up Tower Defence, which is basically a logic puzzle... but at least it's an interesting puzzle.

When the custom is relived that his game crashed because it means he can stop playing, you've done something wrong. They really shouldn't of advertised this the way they did, I was expecting an action game and instead I got a puzzler with some fights to break up the puzzles.

Someone warn me if Bayonetta is the same... I don't mind some puzzles in my action, but Darksiders really a puzzler with some damn action every hour or so.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 67218)