Best of 2009

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Best of 2009

Yahtzee looks back at 2009's best and explains that yes, he does actually like games.

Read Full Article

No offense, Yahtzee old boy, but I've decided that I really need to stop listening to you.

If I keep listening to you, no matter if you like a game or not, you will still implant seeds of doubt in my brain.

Rest assured, I'll still watch your reviews for the comedy, but I think if I take them as reviews I'll end up hurting the game industry because I'll end up never buying another game again.

Note to mods: I did actually read it by the way, I read very fast.

Note to user: It doesn't matter when you post if you have something worthwhile or relevant to say.

Note to mods: Thanks guys and gals!

I haven't played any of those games at all.
I therefore have no ground to form any agreement/argument, and anything I post will be pointless.

I like Desmond!

Good read by the way.

...But I like C3PO

OT: Yeah...
Great..
I guess.
What are you supposed to say?

funny and

Beatles Rock Band will serve quite nicely as a swansong.

very poetic.

A good read! I personally liked both Prototype and Infamous =D

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Halo: ODST

BAH ha ha ha ha. But seriously.

+'ha ha' ad infinitum. I was really hoping for a comment along these lines and you didn't disappoint. Anything more to say on the stupid spiritual/gods direction that Screed took?

I completely agree with the way Ezio gets thrown to the side at the end.

Very good list, similar to mine. :P

Ok, normally I'm pretty good at distinguishing sarcasm from truth, but does this mean Yahtzee liked Halo:ODST?

I have removed my words from this site.

I liked the ending to Assassin's Creed 2 a ton myself. Then again, I'm a sucker for surprise endings that don't make sense. That's why I loved FEAR 2.

I didn't really like [PROTOTYPE] (as they want you to spell it) for two reasons:

cheap deaths and bosses

Alex moves like a train. No subtlety at all.

Hehe, Liked the little flick at Halo ODST, nice!

Although, have to admit dont disagree with any games on there. Overkill gave me so much ful while playing it, well worth the funny, and the cheese factor is just so entertaining!

On Assassin's Creed 2, I was more annoyed with the whole Vault thing, and ironically it echoes how I felt about the other "Vault" I opened recently and that was the one on Pandora while i was playing Borderlands.

Honestly, I think I've just grown very tired with the whole "Open the Door, see what treasure's inside" plot device, because in a game where we've spent 20 or so hours working up to see what's inside this damn thing, getting ourselves killed over it, etc, it's just never going to live up to our imaginations. Frankly, I'd rather NOT know what's inside at this point. Would Pulp Fiction have been any less interesting if we'd seen what was inside the case that Jules had been carrying for his boss?

See, Yahtzee backs me up when I called BRB a good game.

Holy crap... I can't believe those words just came from my mouth... This is surreal!

TheNamlessGuy:
...But I like C3PO

Great..
I guess.

That I'm not the only one who liked Beatles Rockband.

*Rub it in your face some more*

Hubilub:

[lie][lie]I don't care what Yahtzee think![/lie][/lie]
Have I confused you yet?

Wish you didn't include this bit:

Yahtzee Croshaw:

Not because there's anything wrong with the opinion that it's bad, but I have never heard so much bitching about Halo since you mentioned disliking it.

I most certainly agree with not liking Desmond in AC2 though, I haven't played the first game but I immediately told my friend (upon borrowing AC2) "They should have just made the game set in the past where you are really an assassin rather than all this memory stuff" I can't get my head around why they thought the whole Animus thing was a good idea.

Hubilub:

TheNamlessGuy:
...But I like C3PO

Great..
I guess.

Wait, i liked it too! (goes to get face-rubbing machine, currently typing from school.)

nobody likes future if you fuck it up. everybody likes firefly, mass effect and some(these are evolutionary faults) like HALO

Hey, people. Care to explain what does "tanking like a German military commander" even mean in this context?

I know Nazis liked their tanks. I didn't knew what "tanking" means in that context. Don't quote me on this anymore.

Machines Are Us:
Wish you didn't include this bit:

Yahtzee Croshaw:

Not because there's anything wrong with the opinion that it's bad, but I have never heard so much bitching about Halo since you mentioned disliking it.

so true.

kinda dissapointed you didn't review "Borderlands", but it was a fairly busy time when it came out, and I suppose one game had to be forgone. I'll just assume you loved every second of it until proven otherwise.

Cod MW 2 was omitted from the list...I applaud you sir. As for the games that made it, of those that I have played I would agree they are quite good. And I may actually get Uncharted 2 now, despite the cockiness of the main character and such.

Kollega:
Hey, people. Care to explain what does "tanking like a German military commander" even mean in this context?

I suppose it's a reference to either Rommel or Von Manstein, two of the greatest Nazi generals (and generals of WWII in general) who both loved them panzers (tanks) and both 'tanked' because Nazi Germany lost the war.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
I've noticed a bit of a rule of thumb with trilogies: the first one is usually fairly tepid, since they're still finding their feet; the second is the best, now they've learned from experience and cut off the unnecessary flaps; and the third is where they get cocky and it starts to go downhill again.

What about LotR? I find the first one the most boring, the second great, but the third...

Wait, stratch that. I can't stand the last 30 minutes of the third movie...

GAAH NOW I MUST GO AND WATCH THE TWO TOWERS AGAIN!! Happy now, you Australian Maniac?

technically isn't C-3PO Darth Vader's kid? Vader did build him after all. Ha ha ha, but seriously it's good to see your are slightly less cynical than your e-persona would suggest.

Kollega:

The German Wehrmacht doctrine in WWII was focused on the use of tanks and mechanized units. It would stand to reason he was saying "To an extreme degree"

OT: Yahtzee, it may be time to hang up the Halo bashing. It's getting a tad bit stale.

Also, I'm going to have to disagree with you on the Uncharted 2 judgement: Yeah, some of the dialogue is rather stereotypical, but seriously- there were a few very funny moments, and more importantly, what sort of mood and dialogue would you expect in that sort of story? I just don't think an emo philosopher debating the morality of his actions in a introspective monologue while traipsing about with a sidekick who had lost her tongue in a tragic popsicle accident would FIT with what was going on in the game, do you? The truth is, it may be bad at times, but the characters' conversation and interactions were entirely appropriate for the mood and atmosphere of the game.

angel85:
technically isn't C-3PO Darth Vader's kid? Vader did build him after all. Ha ha ha, but seriously it's good to see your are slightly less cynical than your e-persona would suggest.

lol

Since when was the second in trilogies the best? Empire is about the only example. Matrix and Metroid Prime both prove that the first installments, with their throwing-paint-at-the-canvas-to-see-what-works methods can speak to the audiences in a much better way.

It's great to see some positive opinions from Yahtzee, though I can't see it as very popular with the usual audience of ZP. Also it feels a bit out of character. The Painkiller review worked great for example, but a list of reluctant praise and a few shots still at the games is kind of weird. I guess it has to be all or nothing with the persona Yahtzee has built for himself. In whatever way though, I'd like to see more of this kind of thing.

Abedeus:

Yahtzee Croshaw:
I've noticed a bit of a rule of thumb with trilogies: the first one is usually fairly tepid, since they're still finding their feet; the second is the best, now they've learned from experience and cut off the unnecessary flaps; and the third is where they get cocky and it starts to go downhill again.

What about LotR? I find the first one the most boring, the second great, but the third...

Wait, stratch that. I can't stand the last 30 minutes of the third movie...

GAAH NOW I MUST GO AND WATCH THE TWO TOWERS AGAIN!! Happy now, you Australian Maniac?

You've got to be kidding? The first was the best. It had more colours, more romping through different environments, and it had actual happy, jolly, pastoral bits as well. I found the other two boring because I couldn't deal with the continuous orc killing and duller hues for so many hours.

Nicely put.

Earth to Ubisoft: Nobody. Likes. Future. Desmond. It'd be like if The Empire Strikes Back ended with C3PO turning out to be Darth Vader's kid instead of Luke.

I hate it when the character reveal at the end of a series brings us back to someone we don't like. I was fine with Vader's redemption until the prequel films taught us that, when it comes to Anakin Skywalker, there was nothing to redeem.

I like Desmond... >_>

solidstatemind:

Kollega:

The German Wehrmacht doctrine in WWII was focused on the use of tanks and mechanized units. It would stand to reason he was saying "To an extreme degree".

I know that. I didn't knew that "DJ Hero tanked" is a fancy way of saying "DJ Hero failed".

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here