Best of 2009

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Well keep this in mind guys who are getting annoyed with Yahtzee's Reviews, he is not a reviewer he is a critic.

Reviewers will go over a game and point out all the good qualities of a game/movie/book and note where improvements could have been made and rates them. Controversially a critic will point out what is effectively wrong with a game/movie/book and may mention of it looks pretty.

Honestly this is ones mans opinion, form your own. If you disagree with him combat it with facts and post it if you feel the need to share. I'm sure that there are people out there who feel the same way as you do.

I had some reservations about his review a while back about SSBB and Soul Calibur, but that's his opinion and that is why people keep coming back here to watch and read what he has to say. Do I agree with what he said, no not all of it. Did he open my eyes up to faults, no I noticed them myself earlier being a fan of fighting games, even the "kiddie" ones.

I guess at the end of this rambling mess I made my point is if your going to stop listening to a persons opinion about something then simply stop. Don't cry out to the masses in a hope that will change what he wrote or how he feels, because it seems like your just looking for attention.

That all being said, I must agree with the statement for House of the Dead, while it is fun and goofy I wish it was more challenging. The problem I think is that it was on the Wii, I like the Wii (preparing for flamers, arm the cannons!) but the fact this house of the dead has the use of, what amounts to, a light gun in essence you could cram a few more baddies in as yout not limited to the terrible aim with the analog stick format of gameplay.

Kollega:
Hey, people. Care to explain what does "tanking like a German military commander" even mean in this context?

I know Nazis liked their tanks. I didn't knew what "tanking" means in that context. Don't quote me on this anymore.

I think he meant failing miserably

Shadowed Intent:
Ok, normally I'm pretty good at distinguishing sarcasm from truth, but does this mean Yahtzee liked Halo:ODST?

BWHA HA HA HA!

if you don't know that, just take a look at his reviews of Halo 3 and Halo wars, if not see this video: http://spoonyexperiment.com/2009/09/23/halo-odst-in-5-seconds/

maninahat:

Abedeus:

Yahtzee Croshaw:
I've noticed a bit of a rule of thumb with trilogies: the first one is usually fairly tepid, since they're still finding their feet; the second is the best, now they've learned from experience and cut off the unnecessary flaps; and the third is where they get cocky and it starts to go downhill again.

What about LotR? I find the first one the most boring, the second great, but the third...

Wait, stratch that. I can't stand the last 30 minutes of the third movie...

GAAH NOW I MUST GO AND WATCH THE TWO TOWERS AGAIN!! Happy now, you Australian Maniac?

You've got to be kidding? The first was the best. It had more colours, more romping through different environments, and it had actual happy, jolly, pastoral bits as well. I found the other two boring because I couldn't deal with the continuous orc killing and duller hues for so many hours.

I liked all three a lot...

Great followup. I think it was a good idea to write this. A lot of people seem to have trouble with the idea that your reviews are also about comedy and should be taken with a grain of salt. I don't have any problem with this -- your criticisms are apt but they usually don't prevent me from playing anything or change my own perspective. Mostly I enjoy playing the games you have played and seeing if I get pissed off by the same things, makes it even more fun to know there's a reviewer out there that can empathize with me.

Krelias:
why is yahtzee hatin' on joss wheadon ?

go to youtube and search for yathzee and josh wheadon, there is a video with his argument against one of the guys he did the Gamedamage show with, where he ripps wheadon a new one, verbally that is.

Ahem. It's "JOSS Whedon".

If the bludgeoning hasn't started, here' your cue. If it HAS, consider this my bag of nuts on the teapile.

And yes, I'm with Yahtzee, Arkham Asylum was the best thing last year. Quit crying.

Death_Korps_Kommissar:

maninahat:

Abedeus:

Yahtzee Croshaw:
I've noticed a bit of a rule of thumb with trilogies: the first one is usually fairly tepid, since they're still finding their feet; the second is the best, now they've learned from experience and cut off the unnecessary flaps; and the third is where they get cocky and it starts to go downhill again.

What about LotR? I find the first one the most boring, the second great, but the third...

Wait, stratch that. I can't stand the last 30 minutes of the third movie...

GAAH NOW I MUST GO AND WATCH THE TWO TOWERS AGAIN!! Happy now, you Australian Maniac?

You've got to be kidding? The first was the best. It had more colours, more romping through different environments, and it had actual happy, jolly, pastoral bits as well. I found the other two boring because I couldn't deal with the continuous orc killing and duller hues for so many hours.

I liked all three a lot...

That's not a trilogy. It's a 3 (or 6, read on) volume single tale. It was written in installments for his son, collected into one large story, and finally broken up for publication into 3 volumes. There's actually SIX "books" in the series, but since they are not episodic and don't have real internal conclusions, they are not properly called a trilogy. Even if there's three.

BlueInkAlchemist:

I hate it when the character reveal at the end of a series brings us back to someone we don't like. I was fine with Vader's redemption until the prequel films taught us that, when it comes to Anakin Skywalker, there was nothing to redeem.

I completely agree with this. The end of Jedi was such an awesome moment the first time I saw it (That I remember...Evidently I was in the theater when it was new as a child). It loses a bit of polish when you see that Anakin has no qualities that really make him "fall" per se.

Anyway, what's out of place with the comparison is that we knew what this trilogy was going to be about. At least going into AC2. I haven't finished the game, but I was reasonably sure it was going to go this way.

Which I agree, sucks. I like Ezio more than I did Altair and much more than I do Desmond. But I figured out that we were getting more Desmond, and it wasn't really greatly veiled. The reveal of Vader as Luke's father did a good job of changing the game in the third movie. The revelation that Desmond, a character far less interesting than Ezio, will be the future of the Franchise, is about as game changing as Jedi happening a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

I also hope Yahtzee's wrong about the whole bit where AC 3 will be the result of a cocky developer who brings the game back down, but I'm betting he's not.

Final comment for this post, I doubt The Beatles: Rock Band will be the swan song of the genre. Not just because I still like slapping my flipper to colourful buttons, but because I'm rather realistic about the future of the genre. I'm also hopeful that the developers and publishers might have gotten a clue from the utter failure that was DJ Hero, though I doubt that. Also, given the evidently lackluster success (such as it is) of Band Hero and Lego: Rock Band, I may be wrong on the future of the genre. Though I hope this may end up being another kick in the ass.

I stopped taking this article seriously when I saw TB:RB on the list. DJ Hero is much more deserving of that spot. Such a darn fun game.
The only two game suggestions I kinda agree with are National Treasure: The Game Uncharted 2 and AC2. Both were very superb in gameplay elements.
Then again, I haven't really played most of the games on the list.

Nice list, but the lack of Dragon Age: Origins is kinda... weird. You loved that game in the review, now I'm supposed to assume it sucks the pus from a burn victim's blistered cock?

Hubilub:
~snip~

Your new avatar has the most incredibly impractical way of descending stairs.

Industrial-strenght Fan:

Shadowed Intent:
Ok, normally I'm pretty good at distinguishing sarcasm from truth, but does this mean Yahtzee liked Halo:ODST?

BWHA HA HA HA!

if you don't know that, just take a look at his reviews of Halo 3 and Halo wars, if not see this video: http://spoonyexperiment.com/2009/09/23/halo-odst-in-5-seconds/

Hey, just thought there was a slight possibility he could have liked the stealth elements.

I definitely agree about Assassin's Creed 2 - I enjoyed the game, but I strongly disliked how it turned out that Ezio was completely IRRELEVANT all of a sudden come the ending; it's literally as if we simply went through his entire life just to get to that one point, and none of it meant anything. Now that I think about it even more, that ending really pissed me off.

Shadowed Intent:

Industrial-strenght Fan:

Shadowed Intent:

BWHA HA HA HA!

Hey, just thought there was a slight possibility he could have liked the stealth elements.

Halo ODST was a weird take on the series. IMO what makes halo fun is the fact that you can jump 10 feet and take tank rounds to the face. not being a pansy kid that just out of cadet school. we have the whole Call of Duty series for that.

i like how he refered to himself as a matriarch...

My nose almost fell off when I red Halo in a list about games that Y actually liked. I then red Uncharted 2 and it DID fell off. Y liked U2? I did not get that impression from his review.

I agreed with a lot of the stuff he said, but I am not sure whether he liked ODST or not. Even though Bungie practically lied about it being a different gameplay experience to Halo 3, I found the story much more interesting and nowhere near as mind numbingly boring. Assassin's Creed 2 was excellent, up until the end, where, upon entering the Vault, the ending ws just unsatisfying. Bringing the future to the past is not a good idea, this as an example due to me actually liking Ezio. Desmond is just a lackey they are trying to give a bigger role to. I am surprised Borderlands isn't on there though. Same with Modern Warfare 2; I loved it, but I also loved the first Modern Warfare. Infinity Ward were definitely catering for the fans with the story, due to all the returning characters and Ghost sounding EXACTLY LIKE GAZ! Even though Gaz is definitely dead...?
Seriously though, Borderlands is an amazing game. I have heard the ending is unsatisfying but I haven't got there yet, as I have been enjoying the game as much as I can. It's an RPG that isn't repetetive feeling. Sure some of the missions are samey, but they're fun, so I couldn't care less.

Meh.

Yahtzee praises great games. Bashes other good games that he personally doesn't like. Calls it the best of 2009. Nothing different here.

TheGreenManalishi:
Since when was the second in trilogies the best? Empire is about the only example. Matrix and Metroid Prime both prove that the first installments, with their throwing-paint-at-the-canvas-to-see-what-works methods can speak to the audiences in a much better way.

And in terms of video games, it's often the THIRD title that really kicks ass.

For example: Burnout (back when it was a trilogy). 1 was... mediocre, 2 was good and 3 was brilliant.

Unreal Tournament 2003 (the second one) was generally seen as OK, until UT2004 came along and essentially took everything good about UT2003, fixed all the faults and added things people missed from the original, as well as some things people didn't know they wanted until they got it.

Ask any Devil May Cry fan about the second title, and they'll tell you that the first and third were better, even pre-"Devil May Cry 3: Not Quite So Testicle-Crushingly Hard Edition".

Good read!
I always like to read Extra Punctuation for the fun of it, but I though he liked Mario and Luigi: Bowser inside story but is not on the list.

Onyx Oblivion:
I liked the ending to Assassin's Creed 2 a ton myself. Then again, I'm a sucker for surprise endings that don't make sense. That's why I loved FEAR 2.

I didn't really like [PROTOTYPE] (as they want you to spell it) for two reasons:

cheap deaths and bosses

Alex moves like a train. No subtlety at all.

since when is an evil shape shifting monster man with no care for people or the damage he wreaks have anything to do with subtlety

Hmmm, well I already knew my opinions differed from yours, even if I still respect a lot of what you have to say. The problem is though that while your a slice and dice reviewer, absolutly nothing you said about say "House Of The Dead: Overkill" struck me as you actually thinking it was a pretty good game.

As far as Uncharted goes, it's ironic because truthfully I found the original game to be an entire mess based on a lot of the things you mentioned in the review. Sitting here and going "well it actually played really well" strikes me as a contridcitory statement from you, and kind of odd because a lot of your stuff about problems like trying to guess where to jump based on a poorly implemented art style that made you take leaps of faith until you found the right directiont o go in was right on the money with the first game, and exactly the kind of thing that made me decide to take a pass on a sequel no matter how well reviewed it was.

As far as snarky Joss Whedon-esque humor, well when it comes to snarky humor and sarcasm, have you bothered to listen to yourself recently? You of all people can't really consider that a weakness because truthfully I don't think Nathan Drake is all THAT differant from Kilby on a lot of levels (which also gets to the point of you criticizing heroes like Lara Croft and Fifty Cent's game persona for being thieves right along Nathan). What's more if you were an action hero, oddly I'd imagine you'd behave very similarly.

That said I do tend to agree with you about snippy girls in video games. I can understand the whole "empowerment" thing but I think it's rapidly turning most female characters into obnoxious twits. It was cool when it first got started, but there is a point where it becomes overdone and a trite stereotype. I think people tend to forget that characters like "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" started in the late 1990s and we're already entering the 2010s. It's not new or "differant" anymore.

Machines:
Wish you didn't include this bit:

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Halo: ODST

BAH ha ha ha ha. But seriously.

I most certainly agree with not liking Desmond in AC2 though, I haven't played the first game but I immediately told my friend (upon borrowing AC2) "They should have just made the game set in the past where you are really an assassin rather than all this memory stuff" I can't get my head around why they thought the whole Animus thing was a good idea.

it was just a plot device to explain why you could continue to die repeatedly and have no penalty... and an excuse to keep you from killing civilians >.> something I would have enjoyed very much

Dang the bards that only target you of all people

As for your list I completely and totally agree sept for uncharted 2 cause I haven't played that yet, but I don't think I'll pick up that title cause the commercials made it just look like a game born of nothing but bad luck for a random dude on an island.

snowman6251:

Moeez:

snowman6251:

As for Batman, well I thought it was overrated. Its good but I don't see it as game of the year material, especially in a year with quite a few strong contenders. The game just felt off and kind of awkward to me. I mean you could to a hell of a lot worse than Batman but I think other games just beat it, and fairly decidedly at that.

That is sooooooo vague! No one can take your criticism seriously. Honestly, Batman was the only game this year with not as many problems as the other games. Nearly perfect in every department, even with a ho-hum last battle.

Well first of all obviously this type of thing is totally subjective and all GOTY's equate to nothing more than opinions and in my opinion Batman didn't quite live up to my expectations after the huge amount of praise it got. I thought that in some respects it was deserving and in others not so much.

It received tons of praise for its combat. While I won't deny it was animated incredibly well and that for the most part it flowed pretty well I thought it was a bit simplistic. Now simplistic combat isn't always necessarily a bad thing but I felt the game had too much of an emphasis on combat for such a simple combat mechanism. Also once they started letting the henchmen have guns in scenarios that weren't set up for me to use a stealth approach I got annoyed a little. Having to run back and forth to knock the guys with away from the armory stations broke the flow of the combat.

As for the stealth this really comes down to the way Batman moves in the game but it felt clunky and sluggish to me. This wasn't helped by me taking out a guy totally unknown to his friends only to have the Joker come on over the intercom and warn them so they all got paranoid resulting in forcing me to sit in the rafters waiting for them to split up. The grapple gun also had a bad tendency of targeting the wrong thing in some sections that cost Batman a few injuries.

As for the atmosphere and exploring this was a big disappointment for me. I love exploring in games. I love running around and getting to know the area. In Batman though I just really couldn't get into it. That stemmed from two major problems. The first is the way Batman moved. As I said I thought it felt clunky. He walks slow and awkwardly. I felt other things like the grappling hook were kind of sluggish. All in all he just doesn't move in a fluid manner. The other issue I had was the environment itself. It didn't really have much in terms of variety with maybe the exception of the botanical gardens. The rest was just some dark gritty corridors or rooftops. If you've seen one you've seen them all and aside from whatever little things the Riddler hid there there was nothing new to see.

Games that I really like have a wide variety of locals. Zelda has forests, deserts, underwater, the netherworld, etc. Demon's Souls has castles, swamps, jail, ruins, and a mountain. Even Bioshock while sticking true to its one underwater city local has lots of variety in it with its docks, malls, apartments, gardens, art studios, medical facilities, etc. Batman has a whole bunch of samey run down facilities, outside between buildings, and a garden. That's really it.

Also the Scarecrow segments were a huge letdown for me. I was expecting some really deep psychological mind fuck kind of stuff and while they had little bits of that they just turned it into some weird 2D platformer every time that I was not too fond of.

Compared to other games this year Batman just didn't stack up in my eyes. Demon's Souls in particular surprised me as being rather exceptional. The punishment for death being so high in such an unquestionably hostile world made for some of the most intense atmosphere and exploring I've ever had in a game. Behind every corner looked danger and behind every dangerous obstacle lay great reward. Exploring was both highly encourageable and yet totally terrifying. Not to mention the combat system felt pretty much perfect.

When all is said and done Batman just doesn't stack up in my eyes. Its not bad but it had a lot of things that annoyed me and they lessened the experience. I thought there were several other games this year that were more deserving but then again that is just me. This is all my opinion. If you think Batman is the best game ever, good for you, but I liked some things other games had to offer better.

Arkham Island had tons of variety, and it's stupid to compare it to Zelda or Demon's Souls levels, because that doesn't make sense that Batman would have a lava level. The geometry and level design of Arkham changed so much from the moment you boot up the game, to when Poison Ivy fudges it all up or when certain explosive encounters occur. I thought Batman was so agile, never found him clunky, and always surprised how I could get about anywhere thanks to the Grappling Gun and Zip line and other gadgets. Exploring was so much fun and rewarding because of the best use of collectibles in a game. The combat is simple, but very deep, especially in the Combat Challenges, plus most of the time I'd go stealth on any combat sections in the campaign. Put down a trip mine, use some sonic batarangs, maybe a 3X grappling gun, and loads of other pre-planning strategies that made any encounter more involving than they would have been. Experimentation in the game is so much fun and satisfying.

Moeez:

Arkham Island had tons of variety, and it's stupid to compare it to Zelda or Demon's Souls levels, because that doesn't make sense that Batman would have a lava level. The geometry and level design of Arkham changed so much from the moment you boot up the game, to when Poison Ivy fudges it all up or when certain explosive encounters occur. I thought Batman was so agile, never found him clunky, and always surprised how I could get about anywhere thanks to the Grappling Gun and Zip line and other gadgets. Exploring was so much fun and rewarding because of the best use of collectibles in a game. The combat is simple, but very deep, especially in the Combat Challenges, plus most of the time I'd go stealth on any combat sections in the campaign. Put down a trip mine, use some sonic batarangs, maybe a 3X grappling gun, and loads of other pre-planning strategies that made any encounter more involving than they would have been. Experimentation in the game is so much fun and satisfying.

Like I said this is all just my opinion. Clearly we have different takes on the game. Maybe everything about Batman was appealing to you and not so much to me. That's just the nature of this sort of thing, that's why they are merely opinions.

I guess this means that Dragon Age: Origins is actually not a good game in Yahtzee's book after all. Although I'm glad that he finally gave Uncharted 2 some credit.

mjc0961:
I have to disagree about everything regarding inFamous being a sandbox game done right. inFamous is a sandbox with no sand: all you get to do are those side missions and collect things. Sure, the side missions actually serve a point in the game, but almost all of them are recycled story missions, and there aren't enough of the original ones. Plus, once you do them, they're gone. Then you just get to collect the random things, and... That's it. Yeah I suppose you can climb around, but why bother fighting with the awful climbing mechanics? There's nothing to do once you get up there. Grinding around isn't enough fun to warrant just grinding around for hours. And once you clean up the city via the side missions, there aren't any psychic hobos to zap in the nads anymore.

And in regards to who ripped off who between Prototype and inFamous... My money would be on inFamous doing the ripping off. If only Prototype had made its original 2008 release date, people wouldn't have to worry about such things. Of course, on the other hand, it might have been as bland and empty in the sandbox department as inFamous was had it not been delayed. I mean, at least when I'm done with everything else in Prototype, there's still both military and infected to screw around with along with just being a dick to regular citizens. And Alex's abilities are way more fun anyway.

Oh, and Prototype was much better written than inFamous, simply because inFamous decided to crap itself at the end with who Kessler turned out to be.

That's funny considering that inFamous has done notably better in the area of critical reception. It's also funny considering how Prototype seems to have largely dropped off the radar while inFamous has been doing well commercially.

Grey_Focks:

Machines Are Us:
Wish you didn't include this bit:

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Halo: ODST

BAH ha ha ha ha. But seriously.

Not because there's anything wrong with the opinion that it's bad, but I have never heard so much bitching about Halo since you mentioned disliking it.

so true.

kinda dissapointed you didn't review "Borderlands", but it was a fairly busy time when it came out, and I suppose one game had to be forgone. I'll just assume you loved every second of it until proven otherwise.

Sorry to burst your bubble. But Yahtzee hates Borderlands. He found it very boring. For proof of this check out his "Role Playing Games" Extra Punctuation Article if you haven't already.

A1:
That's funny considering that inFamous has done notably better in the area of critical reception. It's also funny considering how Prototype seems to have largely dropped off the radar while inFamous has been doing well commercially.

Sales and "professional" reviews have nothing to do with how good a game actually is. Every site and TV show ever can change their minds and say that inFamous is 2009's game of the year, but guess what: that wouldn't make the game any more fun TO ME. It would still be the same bland garbage it was the first time I played it.

Nice try trying to prove my opinion "wrong" just because you disagree with it, though. Try harder next time, maybe you'll find someone dim enough to actually believe your talk of sales has any direct relation to how much they enjoyed a game.

mjc0961:

A1:

Sales and "professional" reviews have nothing to do with how good a game actually is. Every site and TV show ever can change their minds and say that inFamous is 2009's game of the year, but guess what: that wouldn't make the game any more fun TO ME. It would still be the same bland garbage it was the first time I played it.

Nice try trying to prove my opinion "wrong" just because you disagree with it, though. Try harder next time, maybe you'll find someone dim enough to actually believe your talk of sales has any direct relation to how much they enjoyed a game.

That's a nice attempt at straw man tactics. Who ever said I was trying to prove your opinion wrong? I'm merely pointing out that Prototype doesn't appear to be winning this unofficial war between the two games. InFamous has been slowly but steadily building momentum and seems well on it's way toward evolving into a solid franchise while on the other hand we haven't heard a peep from Prototype in months, possibly on account of it vanishing under a landslide of other more popular multiplat games like Modern Warfare 2, Arkham Asylum, Assassin's Creed 2, Dragon Age; Origins, Bayonetta, and who knows what else. And it's just going to keep on coming. It's not just the "professional" reviews either. InFAMOUS has also done better in places like GameRankings, Metacritic, and Amazon.com. On top of that, unlike inFAMOUS, Prototype doesn't seem to have been even nominated for any awards. As of right now things aren't looking too good for Prototype and the sad truth is that realistically the opinion of one gamer isn't going to make that much of a difference if any at all.

A1:
That's a nice attempt at straw man tactics. Who ever said I was trying to prove your opinion wrong? I'm merely pointing out that Prototype doesn't appear to be winning this unofficial war between the two games. InFamous has been slowly but steadily building momentum and seems well on it's way toward evolving into a solid franchise while on the other hand we haven't heard a peep from Prototype in months, possibly on account of it vanishing under a landslide of other more popular multiplat games like Modern Warfare 2, Arkham Asylum, Assassin's Creed 2, Dragon Age; Origins, Bayonetta, and who knows what else. And it's just going to keep on coming. It's not just the "professional" reviews either. InFAMOUS has also done better in places like GameRankings, Metacritic, and Amazon.com. On top of that, unlike inFAMOUS, Prototype doesn't seem to have been even nominated for any awards. As of right now things aren't looking too good for Prototype and the sad truth is that realistically the opinion of one gamer isn't going to make that much of a difference if any at all.

And all of that is completely irrelevant to me thinking that inFamous is shit, so I don't know what point you think you're making here. So inFamous is getting more press than Prototype? Good for it. I'll still play Prototype first any day.

mjc0961:

A1:

And all of that is completely irrelevant to me thinking that inFamous is shit, so I don't know what point you think you're making here. So inFamous is getting more press than Prototype? Good for it. I'll still play Prototype first any day.

Fair enough. But I wouldn't recommend holding your breath for a sequel.

Prototype still is an amazing gaming experience that you shouldn't miss out on. It has nearly every mutant power you can imagine from X-Men. All that combat experimentation is what got me excited to play it to the very end.

I mean, no game allows you to fly around, kick a helicopter, and then elbow drop on a tank all within the span of 5 seconds.

A1:

Ooookay... I don't recall stating that I even want one, but thanks for the advice anyway.

mjc0961:

A1:

Ooookay... I don't recall stating that I even want one, but thanks for the advice anyway.

You're welcome.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or