The Escapist Presents: The Escapist On: Storytelling

Pages PREV 1 2

Nincompoop:
I think Egoraptor says it best about cutscenes. Using a cutscene to enhance the story and characters is a cheap way of amplifying the immersion. It should be the in-game immersion that holds you, and not a cutscene that actually has nothing to do with videogames. It is then the movie aspect that draws you.

Personally, a good story (obviously) doesn't hurt, but neither does a bad one. I play games for the gameplay and visual/audible enjoyment only. Awesome graphics, physics and sounds combined with good gameplay, are what make me play games.

Quoting EGORAPTER creater of Metal Gear Awesome.. I never in a million years saw that coming.. But i agree with the out of nowhere wisdom that is EgoRapter..

I love these! Keep up the good work, guys.

Now that I think about it, it seems kind of strange that there's never been a game storyline that's brought me close to tears (excluding tears of rage, when the dang thing crashes for the fortieth time). To be fair, other forms of media tend not to make me cry either, but they do do a better job of almost doing such. You'd think games would have more emotional impact because of the immersiveness and whatnot.

I'm thinking it's either because a decade of gaming has desensitized me, or because - sadly, but truly - a lot of game developers just don't pay too terribly much attention to the storyline.

By the way, have any of you guys ever played "Don't Look Back?" 'Cause that one almost did the trick.

Great video! You should make some hard copies and send it to a lot of the devs of there. One particular game that got me (although I was much younger at the time, sigh) was Jane Jensen's masterpiece "Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers". When I first found the fate of one of the main characters I pounded the desk, I walked about the room and smote the furniture, "He can't die!" I shouted. Great piece of storytelling that one, sadly almost all but lost to the sands of time. Oh and Russ, I know you wanted to say System Shock (2). I understand though, it's a bit too far in the past(sigh again). Sgt. Bronson's final log. Yeah.

Logan Westbrook:
Not new, just better known as 'nilcypher'

And I'm willing to bet that Ultrajoe's watched that video several times just so he could coo over your voice being "aural chocolate."

I want to see games that emotionally engage me to the point of crying. I think that it's more than just a matter of story, it's atmosphere, musical score and gameplay as well which influence the story in the manner of telling, much like prose, poetry etc. influence the stories told.

An example of this not from games is Ghost In The Shell. The work as a whole is, in my not-very-humble opinion a spectacular work of art. To single out one feature like "it's an anime" or "it has the Major who is eye candy and kicks So Much Arse" feels like it cheats the rest of its due. It's the story, it's the art, it's the characters and it's the social commentary. The combination is greater than the parts by far.

It's just a matter of translating that into games. Unfortunately for the medium it's far easier and less expensive to put out something to target a mass audience than it is to work out the art of getting a powerful emotional response.

A game that makes you cry...

The closest a MOVIE has brought me to tears lately was Requiem for a Dream. But that was a tale of constant good spirit but ultimate failure... Wouldn't a game that makes you fail by default be the opposite of rewarding? I can accept watching a movie and not feel rewarded, but play something for 10 hours and die? Not sure is the interactivity might get in the way of emotions.

Also, most gamers are not THAT attached to their games. They just play them sometimes for a few hours. Just sayin'.

Onyx Oblivion:
I smell this turning into a JRPG hate thread. Just saying.

In my opinion, the best in-game storytelling goes to Lost Odyssey, for literally being story telling, but with beautiful, emotional music and graphics to go alongside the stories.

Exactly, that game got me into heavy reading.

I don't know if any of you guys know the game: but the end of Betrayal at Krondor made me cry as a kid. But maybe because it was written by such a great novelwriter as Raymond E. Feist. This was a really old game, and it hasn't happened to me since then.

While it didn't make me cry (I'm still waiting and looking forward to a story that's that good too), one of the most emotional moments in games history is definitely the death of Aerial in Final Fantasy 7.

bioshock made me cry. saw Masha today. 'nuff said.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here