Zero Punctuation: Torchlight

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

I still think he should review borderlands.

The Irrelevant Gamer:

BlueInkAlchemist:
Being a fan of the original Diablo and especially Diablo II, I think I might enjoy this game if I were to pick it up. However, I can see where some of the bits might get tedious. I'm also an MMO player, though, so incredibly boring things that take hours to play are right up my alley.

Jokes, snark, visual humor and rapid pace - this is trademark, quality ZP.

If you liked Diablo you'll enjoy Torchlight. It doesn't have the same level of atmosphere, but the gameplay is nearly identical. Even some of the music is similar, and the identify and town portal scrolls are the same color. Apparently some of the original Diablo devs worked on Torchilight, and it shows.

Not just some of the original developers, but also the same person that wrote the music for Diablo 1 and 2. Which might be part of the reason why it sounds so similar. ^^

Yahtzee, Yahtzee, Yahtzee...In The Witcher it was bad that you click on the enemy only once, and in Torchlight it's bad that you don't? I'm all for satire and entertainment, but let's try and keep some consistency man!

I'm of the opinion that hack 'n slash action rpg's works best on consoles - my hands hurt after too many hours of diablo, but the baldur's gate dark alliance, fallout and champions of norrath games on PS2 - which are basically diablo clones, (especially the first BG: Dark Alliance game which has ripped everything from diablo 2 except the lenght, the game is ridiculously short and linear) plays really well with the ps2 controller.

But still, I liked the Torchlight demo, and will probably buy the game once they start selling the physical product. I like having the game box, and think Steam is pretty stupid. Twice the price for games you'll lose the moment someone manages to crack your password or Valve goes out of business. It's ridiculously similar to Diablo, yeah sure, the same people made it, but the town music is not much more than a remix of the tristram song from Diablo, the UI is identical ... there is no innovation whatsoever, but still I did enjoy playing it.

I've only played the demo, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but can't you just hold the attack button to engage and eventually kill monsters?

I don' know why but every time Yahtzee mentions any kind of food in his reviews, I suddenly get a craving for it.

Awesome review. This is the only other video review i have seen of this game, apart from one that was sent on a game show here in Denmark. Seemed like a nice little game. Really simple and atmospheric. But i think i will wait for Diablo 3 though.

Diablo 1&2 were dull too. BUT then multi-player attacked and it became dangerously addictive. Like gambling, but for pixels. Torchlight will find its place when their multi-player version is released. This represents a 'good start'.

Just purchased it off steam 2 days ago - loved it for what it was - a modern diablo clone, which will sooth my withdrawl symptoms while waitng for diablo3 to come out in 2020.....

have a few points though about the review though,

- Yahtzee failed to mention the modding aspect of this game;
TorchEditor comes free with the game (through steam or other) which gives the user to edit aspects of the current game as well as create custom content/npcs/pickups/maps/skills/sets/new character types.....

For example, the 'identify every dropped item' problem easily solved by enabling an 'always identified' mod....problem solved - and this kind of modding is encouraged by the torchlight devs/community....
I'm a bit of a 3d guru, so i might make a custom Yahtzee character type (with bewbs and a poncy hat) with a dolphin companion + 1 rainbow aura :p

KDR_11k:
By the way, you can hold the mouse button down to continue attacking an enemy (same as in Diablo 2), no need to play Track & Field with your mouse buttons.

Yes but is this mentioned anywhere in the game?

I've played it. In general, Yahtzee is right about his woes, especially the 2 parts accounting part ...that's what really put me off.
Great episode by the way.

Furioso:

KDR_11k:
By the way, you can hold the mouse button down to continue attacking an enemy (same as in Diablo 2), no need to play Track & Field with your mouse buttons.

Yes but is this mentioned anywhere in the game?

Yes. In the intro tips.

When the heck is he going to review Borderlands? I mean, Torchlight looked nice, but it wasn't exactly hiding anything in its duplication of Diablo or WoW.

Borderlands at least half-looks like it's trying something new, which is the only way Yahtzee's willing to praise anything these days, apparently.

Spinwhiz:

WestMountain:
Why didnt those first guys get banned for commenting that early?

Patience Grasshopper.

are we all grasshoppers too? or just him?

and this was a good review that makes me actually want to pick up a copy of this and give it a go

I actually love this game, but every point you make is 100% true, lol. I haven't even died ONCE. And yeah the most unnecessary thing is the dang identify scrolls...but there's something calming about this game, combat looks pretty and takes very little effort, and the simple accounting keeps you from falling asleep, haha.

Yea I'll just skip this one and wait on Diablo 3.

Kingsman:
When the heck is he going to review Borderlands? I mean, Torchlight looked nice, but it wasn't exactly hiding anything in its duplication of Diablo or WoW.

Borderlands at least half-looks like it's trying something new, which is the only way Yahtzee's willing to praise anything these days, apparently.

That's what I was wondering. I've been half-expecting him to review that for the past three weeks. Maybe it still hasn't come out in Australia?

lol reminds me of fate XD

its worth the 10$ best diablo type game since diablo 2 and best going to be before diablo 3 is out

Oh how I missed this^^

This review is really halfassed. You should try and check the backround of the games you review, even if they are from a steam sale.

- Torchlight has a modding tool and was constructed to enable people to add and remove mods easly. There are endless mods with extra levels, characters and monsters online. It's a part of the game that people are encouraged to explore. There is a free mod editing software that you can download and alter pretty much any aspect of the game.
- The controls are fine if you know how to use them... Just tab two main skills, the rest are for rare occasions so using the number pad is ok. There are a few mods you can download to customize any button usage...
- This is a game that borrows from Diablo because it was done by the D/D2 team. They were trying to make a name for themselves outside of the monster Blizzard has become and reviews on other sites prove they managed pretty well. Saying it takes everying thing from Diablo is like saying Wolfenstein is a copy of Doom...

The review was funny and all, but come one, at least wiki the games you are trying to review...

I found Torchlight very fun and entertaining.
And god damn it! It was just 3 euro that's like the best deal I could ever do! Well... unless I bought a pack of condoms that one time... *sigh*...

geldonyetich:
It goes to show that perhaps the reason why Blizzard is so hesitant to release Diablo III is because we've moved past the entire genre.

Mayhaps YOU have, but many of us have not . . . and given Diablo2 is STILL on the shelves should have told the industry something. Namely, we want more games like Diablo2! I bought Borderlands at full price, and Torchlight for $5 USD, and the amount of money compared to how much I'm enjoying the game is an inverse ratio between the two. Random loot system, randomized wandering bosses, mobs, bloodletting galore . . what's not to like?

Yahtzee is obviously not a Diablo2 fan . . . which is probably the demarcation line between whether or not most people will like Torchlight. Diablo2 love = Torchlight love. Even if one didn't, or never played it, Torchlight is still cheep cheep (get it from Steam or Runic, not retail).

Your late >:( yesterday was Wendnesday.

Hrm... first time I've seriously disagreed with Mr. Croshaw's opinion and for me, it's putting a significant dent in his cachet as someone who knows the the hell they're talking about. Consider my approval rating decreased.

Well, comparing anything to an ice cream sandwich is pretty mean. It's both an ice cream and a sandwich, man. How do you top that?

Torchlight is pretty fun if you like the genre.

I only noticed the npc pathfiding messing up once, at which point I just instantly re-summoned the stuck npc.

Also at the beginning, was he saying the game was Steampunk or Steam service? Because it is not Steam exclusive.

Yahtzee wins again, and I notice he liked to randomly throw Dolphins into his videos :-P

Not a terribly strong finishing joke, even with the ice-cream sandwich. You might have been better off going with a pun like:
"Torchlight - It's worth lighting on fire with a torch."

you should have eaten the ice cream sandwich

back to icewind dale 2 and Torment. bye.

Damn near piss'd myself laughing.
What he says about the NPCs in RPGs is so true.

Yahtzee doesn't like Diablo.

Odd.

I was an enormous Diablo 2 fan. I played that game for over four years. So when Torchlight comes out everybody I know recommends it to me knowing I'm going to love it.

Let me just point out then for those of you who are unaware: Torchlight sucks. Hard. It's repetitive and boring and not even worth the three dollars. I played it for one hour before tossing it. Please don't tell me that if you love Diablo2 you're going to love Torchlight, because Torchlight is absolutely nothing but a carbon copy of Diablo 2 with all the fun taken out.

Lol, that bit about the towns being built on top of Satan gave me a mental image of a sleazy looking real estate agent with a nasally voice trying to sell the land to a group of settlers.

Real Estate agent: "Yes this is the perfect spot for your new town. We hardly have any problems with demonic hoards or evil death cults."
Settler: Umm... isn't that the Hellmouth over there?
Real Estate agent: "NO! Umm... uh no, in fact that's the perfect spot to build your church. Yes..."

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here