Spider-Man No More

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Spider-Man No More

MovieBob reflects on the sudden death of the Spider-Man movies.

Read Full Article

Nice, Looks liked your about as pissed as the rest of us about this. I didn't think they would ruin spirderman but here we are.

Yeah, I know what you mean, I have this kind of uneasy feeling in the back of my head whenever I read about this Spidey-remake.

*Sigh*

It was good whilst it lasted.

PayJ567:
Nice, Looks liked your about as pissed as the rest of us about this. I didn't think they would ruin spirderman but here we are.

Fat cats and the wallets...farewell to a francise which could have been so epic

I agree with you MovieBob. Sony recently hasn't been known for making good business decisions recently, and this is just another example of it IMO. Raimi made 2 Great Spiderman movies and 1 ok - good one. The latter being the ond where control was taken away from him, because we all know Studio Exec's who probably never read a comic book know better then the guy who made them a few hundred million...

Bah... Here's hoping WoW is a blockbuster and the new Spiderman bombs.. Maybe then they will figure it out...

I honestly think it's better for Raimi to get out now. He made his Spiderman movies and they were good. Let the franchise rest after 3 good films and move on to bigger and brighter things. I remember hearing a while ago that Raimi didn't want to make a 4th film anyway.

It's Sony supposed reboot that's the problem. My bet is that after 3 or 7 rewrites and director changes, the project gets scrapped.

Money > Artistic Intention

The ultimate rule of Producers

I'm sure alot of people are gutted about this but the movies never really grasped me.
Also my favourite spiderman villian; Venom
hardly got screen time which was pretty naf to be honest.

Maybe it's the comic book snob in me, but everytime I see someone say Venom is their favorite spider-man villain I can't help but roll my eyes ;p... he's not even one of his interesting bad guys.

But heh, I guess he looks cool.

And can't agree more about Spider-Man 3 not being as bad as a lot of people make it out to be.

I certainly don't like this development, but I'm not entirely unhappy with the prospect of an Ultimate Spider-Man movie.

After all, it's one of the very few Ultimate series worth reading, and there's certainly some potential for a movie conversion.

Yet more elitist complaining and moaning from a person who hard as I try, am completely incapable of simply dismissing as the rantings of a fanboy with delusions of privilege.

Everything I've ever seen or heard come from this guy just screams "comic book guy"

Who says the new direction for Spider-Man isn't the correct choice? and to be frank YES the third film was as bad as everyone says, it was a confused mess with obvious attempts at sabotage of the trilogy by the director.

I hated spider man 3. I really did.

The first 2 were brilliant, but what where they thinking in 3?

Tis a great shame, I love how Raimi made the films, in fact I remember certain stupid Tabloid critics panning the film before it was finished simply because of the director.

I also remember my friend Scott at the time telling me
"Spiderman is great, he's just like us"

Yes Scott, just like us.

Wasn't Spider-Man the original angsty teen with superpowers?

Edit: Come to that, if they increase Mary Jane's role in these new movies this might be a good way to ween the twilight girls off their sparkly vampire milk and onto some serious comic book whiskey.

Or it could just suck.

Here's hoping it marks the end of the superhero era... I can't think how many great films like Pan's Labyrinth or Donnie Darko didn't get made as a result of studio focus on milking the great cash cows.

Wait, actually I'll say this after Kick Ass comes out.... That film looked great!

Tarkand:
Maybe it's the comic book snob in me, but everytime I see someone say Venom is their favorite spider-man villain I can't help but roll my eyes ;p... he's not even one of his interesting bad guys.

I don't get why a lot of people seem to dislike Venom. Is it backlash over the child-like impulse to think he's cool, and you want to distance yourself from that? Whatever, Venom isn't really my favorite villain, he's my favorite character, because after combining with Venom, Brock moved from cardboard cut-out to someone with depth (speaking of the animated series, here).

Anyway, glad to see someone else doesn't like the Ultimate series. They're hit and miss, but for me, they miss far too often. And any series where canon is thrown out the window because the new author felt it wasn't interesting, yeah...

ravens_nest:
Here's hoping it marks the end of the superhero era... I can't think how many great films like Pan's Labyrinth or Donnie Darko didn't get made as a result of studio focus on milking the great cash cows.

Wait, actually I'll say this after Kick Ass comes out.... That film looked great!

Donnie Darko is a comic book movie without a comic...

First film was good.

Didn't like the second.

Third was OK (albeit too confusing).

OT: As long as they don't do this too the Batman films, I'll live - although I can see why people are pissed.

I wonder sometimes if producers think they know what will sell, when really they'd make more if they let the people making the product take charge.

Heathrow:

ravens_nest:

Donnie Darko is a comic book movie without a comic...

Its a great film nonetheless...

I'm not complaining about films like The Dark Knight, they would have been made regardless...

What we didn't need was a shopping list of the most popular Marvel and DC characters to be churned out into mediocre films one after the other, sapping all the funds and man power from more original and creative movies like Donnie Darko...

Forget all of this! Saved By the Spider-Bell will kick ass!

Imagine: Michael Cera as Peter Parker. Megan Fox as Mary Jane (who will refuse to dye her hair). Cast Diablo Cody to write it and we can have a great Juno meets Twilight movie featuring a brooding yet awkward teenage protagonist who has to take care of his eight month pregnant girlfriend (nothing connects with today's youth like teen pregnancy). Also, it will be directed by Michael Bay, because Spiderman was meant to shoot explosions instead of webbing. We can have a great 'Splosion Man tie in! We'll need to hire Uwe Boll as producer, he's had a lot of experience with video game-based movies.

I don't think saying Spiderman 3 was absolutely horrible is even a slight exageration, also I think there are better casting choices for spidey than Tobey. That said, I think Movie Bob has an excellent point about how Raimi broke open the genre.

What I'm hoping will happen is that Sony will make a terrible bomb of a reboot, and decide to give the franchise back over to marvel so they can fold him into their Avengers based universe, and attach a good director to it.

What I think will actually happen is they'll make a terrible movie then add 3d effects and Boobs and that it will therefor be a blockbuster, leading to more horrible spiderman movies.

The idea of an Ultimate based reboot actually does appeal to me, the only problem is that I have no confidence in Sony to do something better that would make the reboot worthwhile.

ok, am I the only one who thought the Spider-man movies were too serious? Granted my only exposure to Spider-man was the 90's cartoon (which didn't age well, but I blame FOX, not the creators), but I did not like the Spider-man movies, I like the Spectacualar Spider-man cartoon out now, in my opinion, the guy (Topher Grace?) who played Venom in the third one, would have made an excellent Spider-man, becasue he can be serious and witty, I don't remember Toby making any jokes, everything was so serious

personally, I think 'seriousness' should be the Batman movies, becasue it fits with the universe, 'action comedy/drama' should be Spider-man

The first one was great. The second one was fantastic. And the third one was convoluted and shoe horned.

It's a good thing they stop making more movies. Tobey Maguire seemed less interested while playing in the third and Kirsten Dunst seemed to be getting older and older. But I had the excact same feeling when I heard they where rebooting a 9 year old movie franchise.

It's pretty amazing that the first two movies were as good as they were. Let's just be thankful for that.

It made me sad when I heard the news. The first 2 films were awesome and the 3rd was still good. On a side note, guess who's rumored to replace Toby as Spidey? That's right! It's everyones favorite sparkly vampire, Robert Patterson!!!
.......I hate Hollywood....

To be fair, though the movies were good, they weren't spider-man. Raimi did a good job on 1 and an awesome job on 2, but they weren't really the spider-man I was hoping for. And now that the reboot is aiming for a Ultimate Spider-man angle (which I absolutely love) I'm rooting that this time we'll see the spider-man movie I always dreamed of.

RooksEye:
It made me sad when I heard the news. The first 2 films were awesome and the 3rd was still good. On a side note, guess who's rumored to replace Toby as Spidey? That's right! It's everyones favorite sparkly vampire, Robert Patterson!!!

I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that.

I mean, if he plays Spider-man you wouldn't be able to see his dreamy constipated face because of him wearing a mask.
And isn't that what all the girls pay to see when they go to the movies?

Not from his mouth,
Had it the ability of life to thank you:
He never gave commandment for their death.
But since, so jump upon this bloody question,
You from the Polack wars, and you from England,
Are here arrived give order that these bodies
High on a stage be placed to the view;
And let me speak to the yet unknowing world
How these things came about: so shall you hear
Of carnal, bloody, and unnatural acts,
Of accidental judgments, casual slaughters,
Of deaths put on by cunning and forced cause,
And, in this upshot, purposes mistook
Fall'n on the inventors' reads: all this can I
Truly deliver...

Let four captains
Bear Spiderman, like a soldier, to the stage;
For he was likely, had he been put on,
To have proved most royally: and, for his passage,
The soldiers' music and the rites of war
Speak loudly for him.
Take up the bodies: such a sight as this
Becomes the field, but here shows much amiss.
Go, bid the soldiers shoot.

/cry

(siting Horatio and Fortinbras respectively.)

Tarkand:

But heh, I guess he looks cool.

And can't agree more about Spider-Man 3 not being as bad as a lot of people make it out to be.

I love Venom even more so when he became a anti hero, Carnage is one of the better villains...but venom is awesome :P I hated the girly man voice venom from the film tho...
=================
All in all The first film was great considering they used crappy ultimate as a source, 2 was so so,him havign trouble with his powers was tis saving grace. 3 sucked spider balls....... a bit of retooling and 4 would be great put them in the living with MJ still in collage time line bring in scorpion and black cat,ect but no.......I hate hollywood.

Tazzlefrass:
Forget all of this! Saved By the Spider-Bell will kick ass!

Imagine: Michael Cera as Peter Parker. Megan Fox as Mary Jane (who will refuse to dye her hair). Cast Diablo Cody to write it and we can have a great Juno meets Twilight movie featuring a brooding yet awkward teenage protagonist who has to take care of his eight month pregnant girlfriend (nothing connects with today's youth like teen pregnancy). Also, it will be directed by Michael Bay, because Spiderman was meant to shoot explosions instead of webbing. We can have a great 'Splosion Man tie in! We'll need to hire Uwe Boll as producer, he's had a lot of experience with video game-based movies.

Even your sarcams there made me throw up just a little.. It would be real sad if they actually did that as it would prove that they have no faith in the series ever going past film one to begin with and are just doing it for the instant cash to pay off their lawyers to make the coked filled throat slashed hooker dumpsites not exist.

Casual Shinji:

RooksEye:

I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that.

I mean, if he plays Spider-man you wouldn't be able to see his dreamy constipated face because of him wearing a mask.
And isn't that what all the girls pay to see when they go to the movies?

Do you think that all those little tweens would really care (although by then they would be teens). All they would see would be the words Robert Patterson and they'd run off to drink in his overly-done-makeup face. That and i wouldn't put it past sony to try and cash in on psuedogoth and emo sensibilities by having him look like 1980's goth style Robert Smith dressed up in some gaudy mess of an alternate spidey suit.

Mysnomer:
I don't get why a lot of people seem to dislike Venom. Is it backlash over the child-like impulse to think he's cool, and you want to distance yourself from that? Whatever, Venom isn't really my favorite villain, he's my favorite character, because after combining with Venom, Brock moved from cardboard cut-out to someone with depth (speaking of the animated series, here).

I have not seen the animated series, however, unless they WIDELY differ from the comic they were based on... did you just say Venom had depth?

Eddie Brocks merges with an alien symbiote and all of a sudden he becomes one of the most 1 dimensional character who ever was. All he ever does is try and kill Spider-Man/Ruin Peter Parker. He has no other reason than Revenge... which while being justifiable, isn't exactly profound. His dialogue mainly consisted of really bad one-liner, mad cackling and talking about how he'll eat someone's brain.

Than in the late 90s they tried to turn him into a super-hero via about a half dozen of mini-serie spin off: saying he only killed criminal (kind of like the Punisher) and they explored how the symbiote was messing up his day to day life. That was actually somewhat interesting, even thought being 'the punisher with super power' isn't exactly deep either...

And now that Brock isn't in the suit anymore and that venom is a real psychopath with no real redeeming value, he's lost even that. He's basically just as bad as Carnage.

But here's the thing, Venom/Brock only started becoming interesting and gaining depth when he distanced himself from being a spider-man villain. Venom has always been about style over substance.

So yeah, someone saying Venmom (or even worse, Carnage) is their favorite spider-man villain is essentially saying they like a poorly written but cool looking character more than the many (often stupid looking) well written villain spidey has. It's like saying you like Edward from Twilight (pretty, but shallow) over Dracula as far vampire goes.

Sigh...

Oh how I prey that that new SM will sink. Because I already lost all hope that it will be "any good" after all I heard about Sony Pic.'s plans. But, I also prayed for same when new Terminator, Transformers and new StarTrek were announced, and look where they ended up... Top of the charts... Sigh...

I'd like to hope that the reboot will be good regardless, but I just...can't. We're getting a reboot just five years after SM3. (Which I agree with you on, by the way) It's just a terrible idea, and all it's going to do is disconnect audience members who will be expecting a movie that's related to the last franchise. (After all, not everyone is as informed as those of us who frequent the internet daily)

However, I wouldn't be surprised if this gets stuck in 'development hell'. I can just totally imagine a dozen script re-writes and change of casting that could lead to its demise.

MovieBob:
Sending Peter Parker back to school allows Sony to turn the franchise into their entry on the Angsty-Teens-With-Superpowers Twilight bandwagon.

As I've said, there will be deaths if that happens.

I'm sort of reminded of the excellent book Tales From Development Hell where Neil Gaiman talks about the Hollywood idea of Sandman, where the Lord of Dreams runs after a mugger and punches him.

Point missed.

Perhaps Hollywood should have listened to Uncle Ben?

To steal from Kafka:

As Peter Parker awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a monstrous vermin.

Sure why not. We'll bitch and complain, then raise a stink about it all the way through production. Then, as soon as it is released, we will not do the smart thing and avoid it like the plague. What we will do, every single one of us, is go and see the thing when it is released. Why don't we all save time and not watch, not even talk about it and move on with our lives? No we can't do that, can we? We need to compare this new one to every single one that came before it good or bad.

comadorcrack:
Money > Artistic Intention everything else.

The ultimate rule of Producers greedy morons.

There we go :)

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or