Review: Bayonetta

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Jordan Deam:

Acrisius:
Why I don't feel like playing this game(aka, hate)?

You hate every game that you don't feel like playing? That's a lot of wasted energy that you could actually spend loving the games you do feel like playing. Just a thought.

You don't understand. Let me do a mix of explaining and ninja-rephrasing (I won't admit that last part though).

I don't really "hate". What is hate anyway? An emotion? I have no idea, but I think "hate" is way too harsh to describe a general dissatisfaction or annoyance, etc.

When I say that I hate this game, it means that I don't want to play it and I don't want other people to tell me what I'm missing out by standing my ground and refuse to play it.

So, what's easier and faster to say: THAT (*arrow pointing up*) or just "hate"? :D

Another glowingly positive review, and another day that I find myself not really caring about this game anyway even though I'm something of a fan of the genre. Heck, I've got an OXM demo disc sitting next to my 360 with the demo on it, but I still haven't even tried it. I guess this just shows that it's not just about quality of gameplay any more, it's about actually liking the direction or the game, the style, the characters involved, etc. That, to me, is both a good thing and a bit of a bit of a sad one as well.

Purgatorio

Paradisio

Inferno

What's with this fascination games have suddenly gotten with the Divine Comedy?

StriderShinryu:
Another glowingly positive review, and another day that I find myself not really caring about this game anyway even though I'm something of a fan of the genre. Heck, I've got an OXM demo disc sitting next to my 360 with the demo on it, but I still haven't even tried it. I guess this just shows that it's not just about quality of gameplay any more, it's about actually liking the direction or the game, the style, the characters involved, etc. That, to me, is both a good thing and a bit of a bit of a sad one as well.

Haha...I felt the same way, until I started a game at gamestop, all I can say is I had fun.

Furburt:

Pararaptor:

Furburt:
I was hoping it would be good, and it is, seemingly.

I await the poorly done PC port!

There's going to be a PC port?!
I just went & got a Xbox for this game!
SHIVERS!

rompsku:
A PC Port you say?
Mods perhaps?

Fuck the PS3, getting this on PC fo shizzle!

Whoops. Sorry if I caused any confusion there.

No, it isn't coming out for PC, or at least it hasn't been announced.

But when a cross console game is very successful, it quite often gets ported to PC. And it's usually terrible.

Case in point: Resident Evil 4.

I was kidding. lol.

But if Bayonetta did come onto PC, with modding capabilities...
I can only imagine the things the mod community would do with our TITular hero.
Naked Zoe mods would have NOTHING on her.

vivaldiscool:

Purgatorio

Paradisio

Inferno

Those aren't really exclusive to the Divine Comedy, its just purgatory, hell, and heaven. They appear frequently in most religions and alot of other stories, and games.

I've got the PS3 port, and so far I'm finding the load times tolerable, if annoying. I choose easy mode as to avoid too many deaths (and consequently 30+ sec. interactive loading screens), but the QTE are annoying, being hard to predict and sometimes hard to get right (be it due to lag or inferior reflexes). There's no denying the combat is incredible though, even with the PS3 supposedly lower framerate. The soundtrack is insanely bizarre (very Japanese), and can get annoying, but music can be turned down/off.

The game is truly awesome in a very surreal way, even on PS3, but have some beer prepped and ready for when it loads between levels. This is a game best enjoyed patiently drunk, but if you (can) fall into that category, it's an incredible ride even on PS3.

The_root_of_all_evil:
See, this is why I love political correctness at times.

Because, in defying it, you can literally let your mind run wild without having to worry about needlessly bureaucratic world-shaping.

From the start, Bayonetta showed no comprehension of the words "too much", and this is the awesomeness you get from it.

I disagree. If Bayonetta were to defy political correctness, you'd get full frontal nudity along side all the gore. Apparently, even adults can't handle nipples or vaginas despite being able or tear a person in two.

Not that I'm advocating full frontal. You'd lose the titillation factor somewhat (a woman who only gives you glimpses is much more appealing than an out-and-out show).

maninahat:

I disagree. If Bayonetta were to defy political correctness, you'd get full frontal nudity along side all the gore. Apparently, even adults can't handle nipples or vaginas despite being able or tear a person in two.

Only if it were to fight political correctness, which I think is the wrong direction to take.

Not that I'm advocating full frontal. You'd lose the titillation factor somewhat (a woman who only gives you glimpses is much more appealing than an out-and-out show).

And that's why it's better, it simply ignores PC and goes with what gets the heart pumping. Exactly what happened with Devil May Cry and the ones who like the drugged out look.

Brilliant, now to put my dominatrix skills to use and this is the perfect to do this.

Is this game better in any way then Devil May Cry 3/4 or should i stick to the classics ? And don't give me the tits and pussy reason... that's what my gf uses.

I played the demo at GameX, and as much as I enjoyed the combat, I found Bayonetta's simple running animation to be a little too complicated. Now, she's got a killer walk (with a body like that, how could she not?) but in running from place to place, my eyes started to ache a bit watching all of her flair flail all over the place. In combat, it makes the movements of Bayonetta as striking as the actual hits, but it made getting from A to B something of a chore.

My wife called that part downright annoying.

This game annoys me on a deep level, iv always hated Devil May Cry's smug cocky kills everything spurts one liners and listens to metal Dante as an obvious play to the 13 year old male gamer mentality of "YEHH FUCKING SLIPKNOT BLOOD AND GUTS GOD DANTE IS SO COOL" and now Bayonetta seems to be doing much the same thing but with sex and its not even fucking trying this game is about as subtle as the Evony ads in how there trying to sell it, Im not saying its a bad game but seriously am i the only one insulted at this less than 2 dimensional "Sex sells" play?

obex:
This game annoys me on a deep level, iv always hated Devil May Cry's smug cocky kills everything spurts one liners and listens to metal Dante as an obvious play to the 13 year old male gamer mentality of "YEHH FUCKING SLIPKNOT BLOOD AND GUTS GOD DANTE IS SO COOL" and now Bayonetta seems to be doing much the same thing but with sex and its not even fucking trying this game is about as subtle as the Evony ads in how there trying to sell it, Im not saying its a bad game but seriously am i the only one insulted at this less than 2 dimensional "Sex sells" play?

There's a huge difference between sex as a marketing ploy and sex as an aesthetic choice. Bayonetta definitely falls into the latter category. It's simply too creative to have come out of a focus group on how to appeal to 14-year-old boys.

Doug:

Random Argument Man:
I remember that everyone were cynical about that game. Good to hear that the gamepley is some sort of extravaganza.

As for the story, the minute you showed the "Guns! Guns! Guns!" part, I knew it was cheesy.

Where? I'm still cynical about the BDSM simulator. Just because the reviewers get carried away by the fan service...
*grumbles off into his box*

So you mean the combat ISN'T the best the genre's ever seen? Because from all accounts, it is, fanservice be damned.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sold. I'm not shallow enough to be sold on a game simply because of the sex & violence factor, in fact the former is more likely to turn me off. Don't get me wrong, I love sexy women, but... oh nevermind I won't get into that. Nobody ever understands where I'm coming from anyway. Suffice to say I think I'll pass on this game.

Jordan Deam:

obex:

There's a huge difference between sex as a marketing ploy and sex as an aesthetic choice. Bayonetta definitely falls into the latter category. It's simply too creative to have come out of a focus group on how to appeal to 14-year-old boys.

Well fair enough and I haven't played the game so I am not going to argue the point but all I saw leading up to this game was stuff about pealing of tags on a bill board to take of her clothing and demonstrations of the violent BDSM style finishing moves and although this may be more than just "How to we sell to 14 year old boys" its still left me with the impression of a shallow game the certainly hyped up that factor.

I fucking love this game, and the LAST thing I'm thinking while playing it is "sexy", because I'm too busy with the frantic combat.

I played the game and I have to say that it sucked so much ass.

The fucking dialoge is enough to dispise this game. The characters look and sound repulsive and the combat is so over the top, that it doesn't feel like it packs a punch.

"Fly me to the moon" plays in this game?

I might get it just for that.

Casual Shinji:
I played the game and I have to say that it sucked so much ass.

The fucking dialoge is enough to dispise this game. The characters look and sound repulsive and the combat is so over the top, that it doesn't feel like it packs a punch.

Beating the hell out a angel and kicking him into a iron maiden packs more than enough punch for me....I had no problem with the sound design, the characters looked sexy, and the dialogue made me laugh...in short, I had fun...just my opinion though...

Dark Templar:

Yep, original and the remixed version is the theme song :P

Ghostleader:

Dark Templar:

Yep, original and the remixed version is the theme song :P

Hell yes, that does it.

Gonna pick this up soon.

Time to search out the soundtrack, the remixed version sounds pretty cool.

crotalidian:
Blood, Guts, Gore, Titties winning combinations

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/1/11/

EDIT: hmm, looks good i guess.

Ghostleader:

vivaldiscool:

Those aren't really exclusive to the Divine Comedy, its just purgatory, hell, and heaven. They appear frequently in most religions and alot of other stories, and games.

Not really, they're pretty much exclusive to Catholicism, more accurately medieval Catholicism. Purgatory's not really part of modern Catholic doctrine anymore, and even the definition of Hell's undergone revision.

Dante basically took the basic concept and ran with it, inspiring thousands of other writers several centuries later. (Although there are apparently elements of Islamic mysticism in the Divine Comedy as well.) His is pretty much the definitive one, since most people aren't familiar with medieval Catholic theology.

As for why all these games are doing it now? I can only guess...

Nice Review Jordan. I was on the fence for a while about this game. Now that I have seen more gameplay I think I am going to pick it up. Sex and Violence works for me.

Wait.... The game has a.... One handed mode.

Was it intentionally designed for..... *Ahem*?

Rented it for the 360. It can be beaten in a week and everything that can be bought on extra runthroughs cost obnoxious abounts of money, so I wouldn't have played through again if I had bought it. The story isn't half bad towards the end, I didn't really mind the amount of cutscenes. I'm being told repeatedly how deep the combat was but I could hammer the punch button followed by a kick and get the strongest combo out just before I had to dodge. I found the music repetitive but it's always fun to listen to. It's a pretty good game but I think the size of the enemies bowled over critics too much and they didn't notice how short it is for single player only.

If i wanted to play Devil May cry, i would play Devil may cry. Although the main character in this looks alarmingly like my friend's mum . Hmmm i may need to buy it just for that

The_root_of_all_evil:

Furburt:

But when a cross console game is very successful, it quite often gets ported to PC. And it's usually terrible.

Case in point: Resident Evil 4.

And Saints Row 2, GTA IV, etc. etc. etc.

cross-ports are usually awful.

GTA IV was perfectly okay from me, without bugs or slow-downs.
Saints Row 2 would've been fine... but whenever I was driving around at high speed, there was a god-awful stuttering :(
OT: Heh, seems like a fun game. If they are porting it to the pc and make the port as good as DMC 4, then hell yeah. (although I really hate Japanese DMC-style games because they have a retarded story like no other)

The_ModeRazor:

I had it on bare minimum settings and only got 14 FPS; this is when I can run TF2, LotRo and GTA:VC on 1280x1024 with no slowdown.

If you've got a ninja machine though, you wouldn't catch these things.

Am I the only one who actually likes the music in the game?

I mean it's not really what I usually listen to but I feel it fits with the character and mood of the game pretty well. I especially love the After Burner theme remix along with the other Sega game music. Sure you COULD have put in some generic metal soundtrack but I don't think it would feel the same to me than with the current music, more like I was playing a different game.

I do think that this game could have benefited from a co-op mode similar to the one in Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, but never the less I enjoy it as it is.

benbenthegamerman:

crotalidian:
Blood, Guts, Gore, Titties winning combinations

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/1/11/

EDIT: hmm, looks good i guess.

I take that as a personal insult to my nerdiness! how dare you assume I had not already read it! have at the sirrah!

The_root_of_all_evil:

The_ModeRazor:

I had it on bare minimum settings and only got 14 FPS; this is when I can run TF2, LotRo and GTA:VC on 1280x1024 with no slowdown.

If you've got a ninja machine though, you wouldn't catch these things.

My computer is not uber-tech but it's pretty good I guess.
Albeit a rather sad background story.

I tried the demo, and could not understand what was going on for the better part of it (not that I'm an expert of the ultra-messy-fastest-action genre) Also, the music is terrible, it may fit the character but still...

Wait, you can bitch-slap enemies with your pistols? SOLD!

Side note: I hope the characters aren't as cheesy as DMC. I hated it every time Dante opened his mouth.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here