Game Dogs: Pilot Episode: D&D Kills

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 19 NEXT

Not bad for a first episode, not bad at all. I was a bit worried after the trailer, but hey, that wasn't too bad. Although it wasn't hilarious, it made me chuckle, and was more entertaining than I had expected as well. Bravo, and I'll be tuning in next week, methinks.

Also, definitely the quote of the week:

"100xp"
"Bitchin'!"
Nice pun with "Bitchin'", by the way

So I am bit on the fence about this. Some of the humor is good, but I just have a hard time understanding why they are dogs... The animation is a bit dodgey IMO, but it's more of a style preferance.

I'll give this a couple of weeks to see where it goes. For now, 100xp to you.

shark attack:

John Funk:

Chipperz:
I... Still don't know why these things couldn't be humans. Either it goes the way of this week's episode where the word "dog" is put in places it doesn't need to go and they talk about "the Jack Russel up North", or it's barely mentioned at all and it's pointless.

Meh, I guess I'm just not the biggest anthropomorphic animal fan. Except for turtles skilled in ninjitsu.

Why does Scrooge McDuck need to be a duck?? Why can't he be a really rich dude?

Man, I hated watching Goofy - they'd have been much better if they were people. And Mickey Mouse should have just been a human! A bear flying an airplane? That'd never work!

HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN A HUMAN WITH SQUARE PANTS!

Because those shows were aimed at small children, and colourful animals will hold a child's attention better than a human.

You're saying the actual intended audience for Game Dogs is children below the age of ten?

Sorry, that doesn't fly with me. Things aimed at children can still be popular with adults and have adult humor.

The intended audience for Game Dogs is people who were children in the 80s and 90s and who grew up with shows like that. We have fond memories of all those shows, and I'm betting you do too.

Goldeneye1989:
100xp points. alright first ep, would like to see more before i know if i like it or not

also worried that the Girl will become similar to Tex from RVB

What was wrong with tex? I found her the weakest character in the series but I didn't hate her because I couldn't put my finger on what made her the worst.

O.T: I like the show, keep it up. Apocalypse lane is like just like this, some people love it and others hate it, I never really like apocalypse lane but this is good. I still don't think they need to be dogs but than can be said about everything with animals instead of people.

Not bad. I'd watch again :)

So you either love it or hate it?

Yeah, animation needs to be a bit better, but it's okay so far, made me chuckle once or twice.

Good, could be better. I see much potential. Some facial expressions would be nice, even if they are dogs.

And to no surprise to me, I enjoyed it. Alot, especially because I actually started playing D&D early last semester and had the whole "this game kills people" discussion, lol. And my DM does random "Hundred exp!" points too.

And to those talking about the bad animation, its roughly on par with Apocalypse lane. They don't often spend the time to animate the legs, as its MUCH easier to keep people stationary for the most part, so when characters are on the move, it always looks a little weird. Knowing the struggles of animation with flash software, its not as simple as "Make them move better." try it, heh.

Anyway, i'll bring up a part of the code of the internets... There is a lot of stuff out there... so... 'If you don't like it, Don't look at it."

100 fail points! Why to take the record from Rebecca Mayes guys!

Meh, didn't really like it. But I suppose I'll give in another chance and watch the second episode when it comes out. It better be good, though.

"LOL VIOLANCE IS FUNNEH"

No. This was painful to watch.

I'm sorry, but the humor is low. So low, that I find more sophistication on newgrounds. This isn't a sitcom parody that's supposed to be so bad it's good, this is a sitcom.

No thanks.

A note about the animation - I enjoy Yahtzee's slideshows more. In fact, I may just watch them now, with the sound muted.

Lol....gary and his big tie :B
Yeh this animation is ok.

*adds to weekly watch list* :U

Meh.

I won't pass judgment yet. The AL pilot was much worse and that show turned out to be pretty good after a few episodes.

John Funk:

Chipperz:
I... Still don't know why these things couldn't be humans. Either it goes the way of this week's episode where the word "dog" is put in places it doesn't need to go and they talk about "the Jack Russel up North", or it's barely mentioned at all and it's pointless.

Meh, I guess I'm just not the biggest anthropomorphic animal fan. Except for turtles skilled in ninjitsu.

Man, I hated watching Goofy - they'd have been much better if they were people. And Mickey Mouse should have just been a human! A bear flying an airplane? That'd never work!

Ignoring that those are all aimed at preteens, Scrooge McDuck was a spin off of Donald Duck, who played up the "duck" aspect of his character, as did Goofy with his dogness. In fact, the only anthropomorphic animal that doesn't just play up his animal nature (that I can think of) is Mickey Mouse, and even then, he is still treated as a mouse for a lot of the stuff he's in.

I'm just saying, either it is ignored entirely, or it becomes a gimmick, and either way tends to leave me wondering what the point is. This seems to be bordering on making it a gimmick, what with the whole "Dungeons and Dogs" thing. Did Bethany need to get pissed off that she had the same model as a monster? It's already in the title of the game that dogs are on par with dragons!

And if the last bit was about Spongebob, well, Spongebob Squarepants is just so fucked up that he could be a cyborg velociraptor egg and it'd still make sense in the context of the show. I'd still watch it when I get the chance, too. I fucking love Spongebob Squarepants.

i laughed a few times, which is a gd start id say, so will maybe be chekin it out a few more times, just need to see what the future brings

John Funk:

The intended audience for Game Dogs is people who were children in the 80s and 90s and who grew up with shows like that. We have fond memories of all those shows, and I'm betting you do too.

Seeing as how the majority of the kids on this site were born in 1990-something i seriously doubt that. Regardless...those shows of the 80s and 90s were good...now i just want to go watch rockos modern life or ren and stimpy to forget about this shows...issues. Also the shows of that time had a lot of pop-culture references which helped a lot in being funny when i watch them now as an adult, things that meant nothing to me as a kid. This has D&D jokes and dogs...hardly hitting adult funny button.

What can I say that hasn't already been said? It works, plain and simple. If nothing else, it started off a lot better than the majority of shows on here, so...yeah.

100 xp for effort, 5 xp for implementation, 5 xp for uploading into the Escapist.
Right, now you just need another 890xp to reach level 2.

Anyway, I thought this first episode was (to quote another site) Some Old Bulls***!

I grew up in the early 90s reading stuff in a national newspaper about how D&D makes teenagers a) attack the elderly with sharp implements, b) join satanic cults, c) become dangerous anarchists, d) all of the above.

All of these "facts" were corrected years later by the same newspaper, but I remember the days when a lot of folks actually thought the newspaper had it right. After all: it was in the newspaper, so how could it not be true?

This whole episode made me feel angry.

huh.

Well, maybe it'll get better...

Average. I will check out some others to see if it improves.

really enjoyed the pilot episode.
I would really like to see this become a series.

I wish I could rewind my brain and record over the part of my memory this dross is now stored in.

I want those minutes of my life back.

Signed
Someone who, as a 26 year old, is aparrently the target demographic for this horseshit. This fact offends me.

xmetatr0nx:

Seeing as how the majority of the kids on this site were born in 1990-something

Better make that LATE 1990-something.

John Funk:

shark attack:

John Funk:

Chipperz:

Because those shows were aimed at small children, and colourful animals will hold a child's attention better than a human.

You're saying the actual intended audience for Game Dogs is children below the age of ten?

Sorry, that doesn't fly with me. Things aimed at children can still be popular with adults and have adult humor.

I have fond memories of the characters because of nostalgia, because they were a part of my childhood and something I enjoyed when I was younger. Just because a child enjoyed watching a colourful bunny hit things with hammers doesn't mean that when they grow up they will enjoy that same bunny making snarky one-liners in a cartoon office.

If Game Dogs is stylistically trying to copy old 80s and 90s cartoons, why don't the characters have the more exaggerated cartoon anatomy and facial structures that were everywhere at the time? Big eyes, wobbly arms, round tummies, big mouths, etcetera. The characters in this animation are shaped like just a bunch of humans in dog costumes; they look like they've jumped right out of a lame webcomic. Some more surreal and cartoony designs would have made the whole "they're dogs for nostalgia value!" a lot easier to swallow, AND would have made the show more visually appealing.

Nice. I still think the premise kind of sucks, but the writing and animation is good.

It was kind of short though. Not enough time for anything to really happen.

Furburt:
I didn't laugh once, or even giggle. Jolly poor show chaps. I definitely won't be watching again anyway.

Theme song was great though.

Agreed, well, I agree that it sucked.

However, I thought the theme song sucked too.

Clearly this wasn't my cup of tea.

shark attack:

If Game Dogs is stylistically trying to copy old 80s and 90s cartoons, why don't the characters have the more exaggerated cartoon anatomy and facial structures that were everywhere at the time? Big eyes, wobbly arms, round tummies, big mouths, etcetera. The characters in this animation are shaped like just a bunch of humans in dog costumes; they look like they've jumped right out of a lame webcomic. Some more surreal and cartoony designs would have made the whole "they're dogs for nostalgia value!" a lot easier to swallow, AND would have made the show more visually appealing.

Yeah I too am having a tough time seeing the reason that they're dogs. It seems to me like the creators saw this famous picture below and just thought, "Oh. My. God. Dogs playing human games? But dog no can play human game! Funnee!1":

I feel the animation lets it down.
They way that the little dog with the tie just jumped onto the table when he came in, character movements and the way that the mouths didn't even vaguely match up to when something was being said by a character.

Though the script and the concept seemed solid enough. Still, early days yet.

Skratt:

crotalidian:
Bitchin'!

That was fun and I know from experience that D&D Can Kill. *sob*

=o_O=

It can?

Cant....talk.....pain.....too fresh. Poor Chris.....so...young

Not bad, made me smile a bit. =D

I must say,it's entertaining.It was funny.

No offense, but I didn't like this at all. I'll watch the next couple of episodes to see if it gets better though.

By the way, did you get the one who does the voice for Cuddles in Apocalypse Lane to voice Gary?

John Funk:

Chipperz:

And once again we are reminded that you don't mess with the Funk.

Cause then the Funk will mess with you!

You could also make the argument that some of the greatest stories ever are fables.

Or that the Na'vi in avatar didn't need to be aliens, since they could just have been indians.

Actually, it seems kinda fun to defend this show.

I might get into it.

It seemed fairly good, I felt largely the same as with Apocalypse Lane, so here's hoping that it'll improve with time. Music was rather good though.

It did remind me of a dog-version of PvP (the webcomic) though.

I cringed the whole time.

I know why people would like it, but to me this looks about as good as the other shows here other than Yahtzee, MovieBob and Unskippable. Not godawful, just not my cup of tea and definitely not original.

Voice acting's great though.

HK_01:

By the way, did you get the one who does the voice for Cuddles in Apocalypse Lane to voice Gary?

Nope. The person who does the voice of Gary is actually a woman named Francine Collins. She is a very talented voice actor and has a long list of credits. She has been doing VO/Character work for quite some time and is a total professional. One of the best character VO artists I have ever worked with!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 19 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here