Escape to the Movies: Book of Eli

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Book of Eli

This week MovieBob throws the book at Eli.

Watch Video

nice,

haven't seen it though, and have no intention to, so didn't care about the spoilers.
if it was a bass player inspired by god, it would be a completely different matter.

Wow

The trailers lead me to believe something was actually happening in this movie.......is that really all there is to the plot?

Ummm...
I'd never really heard about this movie (living under a rock for the past 9 weeks or so) so I didn't care about the spoiler but seriously? That's the best the goddamn HUGHS BROTHERS could come up with? (sorry if I spelled that wrong)
Looks like an OK movie overall, and I might go see it, but... I'll wait till dollar night at the cheap seats.

That is not what I was expecting at all. I thought it looked like a good movie and might have seen it but not now. I would have hoped for a better story than its the last bible.

I'm glad Mila Kunis isn't overused in Hollywood, otherwise she might turn into Megan Fox, and that would be a tragedy.

Damnit and I really had high hopes for this movie.

I actually wouldn't mind what seems to be a silly plot. Does the ambiance, dialogues and fighting sequences interesting at least? This review doesn't really answers that. I remember having the same type of comments about Payback with Mel Gibson. Everybody was saying how stupid the premise was, but I ended up being a huge fan of the movie. No matter how silly his motivations were, you had no choice but to believe that it was possible. That and the fact that the movie was greatly directed and had a nice style reminiscent of old Steve McQueen movies. So in conclusion I would simply say that the Book of Eli still holds (in my opinion) something worth seeing. Again, I would have the see it to actually have my final thoughts on it.

DAMMIT, I thought this would be like a really deep film... Fuck!

Just as I suspected... it was going to be boring.

Well at least I saved myself 20 bucks.

Huh, I was expecting Lovely Bones. 'Cause that wasn't all that good either. So this week ain't a good movie week. That blows.

Oh good God. (Pun)
I saw this trailer when a friend and I went to see the Daybreakers film, and I spent like ten minutes trying to guess what he twist in the tale might be when we quite clearly saw that the book was the Bible... so there was nothing? At all?
Oh wow, another post apocolypse film where absolutely nothing of interest is happening. Someone must have been a big fan of The Road.

Dark Templar:
Wow

The trailers lead me to believe something was actually happening in this movie.......is that really all there is to the plot?

Apparantly...wow, talk about dry as the desert its set in

I can see how the story is kinda boring, but apart from that, what's the worth of the movie as a plain old post-apocalypse action flick? Can it at least be enjoyed on that level, ignoring all those silly little unimportant things like 'plot' or 'originality' or 'character depth'?

Not that there is anything wrong with a film about god etc, but from the sounds of it you really didnt enjoy this film. Its a shame because it looked quite neat from the trailers, but you have clearly described a pretty unimaginative and, from the sounds of it, predictable movie.

Shame

wow...not watching this one :D

I'll probably give it a look when it comes out on DVD, but it's not worth my money for theater tickets. I'm usually a fan of watching Denzel, even if the movie overall may not go anywhere.

Deeply saddened... Sure, my only connection to this movie was my name being in it, but I really wanted it to succeed. Also, I felt dumb because I didn't realize it was a Bible...

This is the very first MovieBob review that has disappointed me.

It was pretty simple to figure out that was the plot of the movie, just based on the one trailer I saw, so these "spoilers didn't affect me at all. Kinda obvious that this was gonna take place in a post-apocalyptic setting, and that it would follow that pretty thoroughly. The only real reviewing that happened was based on the acting, which again, was kinda obvious, most of us know what to expect from Oldman, Mila Kunis and Denzel. There were hardly any witty remarks and no real in-depth analysis of the film, and I find it kinda hard to believe there was nothing interesting to say about this movie.

But hey, you may be right Bob, as I haven't seen it yet.

So the person with the last copy of "Love thy neighbor" goes about slaughtering people with a sword? Is there any part in the movie where the main character acknowledges the irony of his actions? From the trailers I didn't think the book would be the bible, but now that I know it is, this movie seems a whole lot less interesting.

Aunel:
nice,

haven't seen it though, and have no intention to, so didn't care about the spoilers.
if it was a bass player inspired by god, it would be a completely different matter.

Is that all you fucking talk about? "I'm a bass player and a singer, har har". The way you talk about it, it sounds like you are trying to get the best out of the ability to run your fingers across some wire and say poetry in a weird voice.

And now that I said that...

The Book of Eli looks like it'll be good. Like someone else said, I don't see what's so bad with a movie with a plot like that. This review hardly tells you about anything else, and seems to be more of one of those videos people post on youtube that is just a rant. The video sounds like you just wanted to rant about how they should keep God and Co. out of cinema. You should of just talked about the action sequences and such more.

It seems to be a recurring theme in your videos, in which you focus on one specific thing and talk about it the majority of the time, and then finally say something like, "Oh yeah, the action scenes were pretty good, too".

franzieperez:
This is the very first MovieBob review that has disappointed me.

It was pretty simple to figure out that was the plot of the movie, just based on the one trailer I saw, so these "spoilers didn't affect me at all. Kinda obvious that this was gonna take place in a post-apocalyptic setting, and that it would follow that pretty thoroughly. The only real reviewing that happened was based on the acting, which again, was kinda obvious, most of us know what to expect from Oldman, Mila Kunis and Denzel. There were hardly any witty remarks and no real in-depth analysis of the film, and I find it kinda hard to believe there was nothing interesting to say about this movie.

But hey, you may be right Bob, as I haven't seen it yet.

As much as I hate to give into peer pressure... this. I was really disappointed as well, since you spent the entire video complaining about the plot, and nothing more. I hope you aren't turning into a professional whiner, since I agreed a lot with your other reviews.

Funny thing is you could kind of tell all of that from the trailer, definitely passing on the religious moralizing...

ColdStorage:
I'm glad Mila Kunis isn't overused in Hollywood, otherwise she might turn into Megan Fox, and that would be a tragedy.

Except she's way hotter than Megan Fox and she can act.

Are you serious? I wasn't sure if the book was actually just the Bible or if the Bible contained a hidden "something". If this is just a movie about some guy walking the desert to move the last one to safety... Well it really isn't worth my money then. Thanks for saving me $20 Bob! Maybe I'll catch it on Spike in a year or so..

Ehh, I think this is less a problem with a premise and more a problem that the premise is a cup of tea most people dont care for.

I knew this was about the bible but Iwas expecting some ritcheous deliverance. like a special Uber Bible he spends the movie trying to find to right all the wrongs. but it sucks that its just a crappy pseudo religious bodyguard flick!

Jaranja:

ColdStorage:

She's also the voice of

My friends were shocked at that one, they actually thought the voice of Meg was a uggo.

ColdStorage:

Jaranja:

ColdStorage:

She's also the voice of

My friends were shocked at that one, they actually thought the voice of Meg was a uggo.

Yeah, I knew that. I liked her in Forgetting Sarah Marshall... too bad it was a terrible film. That's just my opinion though.

I had no intention of seeing this film.
And now that Moviebob has explained the plot, I really want to.

The idea sounds good to me!
I'll be takin' the wife next week!

Jaranja:

ColdStorage:

Jaranja:

ColdStorage:

She's also the voice of

Yeah, I knew that. I liked her in Forgetting Sarah Marshall... too bad it was a terrible film. That's just my opinion though.

I've not seen that film, and to be honest I would never have watched it.

Kunis was cast as Jackie Burkhart in the television series That '70s Show in 1998. During the auditions, all people auditioning for the roles in the show were required to be at least 18 years old, so Kunis told the casting staff at the audition that she was going to be 18 "on her birthday" not specifying to which birthday she was referring. She was actually 14 at the time of the audition and after receiving the part, she was able to continue in the role despite having misled the directors.

ColdStorage:

Jaranja:

ColdStorage:

Jaranja:

ColdStorage:

She's also the voice of

I've not seen that film, and to be honest I would never have watched it.

Kunis was cast as Jackie Burkhart in the television series That '70s Show in 1998. During the auditions, all people auditioning for the roles in the show were required to be at least 18 years old, so Kunis told the casting staff at the audition that she was going to be 18 "on her birthday" not specifying to which birthday she was referring. She was actually 14 at the time of the audition and after receiving the part, she was able to continue in the role despite having misled the directors.

Woah, woah, woah... Lemme get this straight: You're saying that she was 14 years old when playing Jackie in 'That 70's Show?' Wasn't she always on top of Ashton... or was it just me?

I like Bobs reviews usually but to me it seemed like he just hated the fact that this was a movie about a bible and a mission from God. Just about every movie the good guy wins Bob, wether or not God is involved.

I'll still watch the movie, just not in theaters because we dont have a movie theater were i live now.

The blues brothers were on a mission from God too and that was a baddass movie by the way.

Aunel:
nice,

I'm not taking a shot, merely curious I assure you, but do you mention your musical orientation in every post?

Just asking because I've lurked for some time and I've never seen one where you don't. =D Again just curious friend.

OT:
That's a shame... Looked like a cool movie... He really didn't address whether or not the action was any good though, so I guess I can still hope I'LL enjoy it...

Jaranja:

Woah, woah, woah... Lemme get this straight: You're saying that she was 14 years old when playing Jackie in 'That 70's Show?' Wasn't she always on top of Ashton... or was it just me?

Yep, and I know why your actually going "woah woah woah", its because you just did a little sick in your mouth when hearing that the Hottie Jackie was actually 14 at the start of the show.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here