Alt+Escape: Every Day the Same Dream

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I just went out in my underwear and pet a cow. That is anything but a normal day.

It was nice, but I wish there were more things to do to "shake up my day", more steps to take, so to speak. I liked how the graph of productiveness/profit keeps going down each new step you take.

Great game. Cool premise, the graphics really pull off this monochrome but not quite thing right, and the song is amazing.

Can't really say I got the ending, though. True Art is Incomprehensible?

atalanta:

MGlBlaze:

Cyanin:
Very nice, and quite a freaky ending..

I found the ending rather unsettling myself. It reminds me a lot of another game that was featured here quite some time ago, actually... it was deliberately low-res graphics, and it was based off some greek mythology, I believe... I forget what it was called, though.

Don't Look Back, based on the Orpheus myth?

I quite liked this one. Some of the things you do were heavy-handed (catching the leaf, in particular), but the game as a whole was lovely. Whoever wrote the music did a bang-up job.

Yup, that was the game I was thinking of. Thanks for catching the name for me. The ending had the same sort of 'mind screw' feel to it.

I have to admit, though, the leaf one was a little obvious (not to mention you had to wait around for quite a while before the thing dropped); not so much for the others, though none of them were all that cryptic... well, except maybe for that one where you need to defy all old-school gaming logic and go left for once, but still. Although, after the end, I do have to wonder where the old lady in the elivator went... that kind of adds to the chill at the end, actually.

But yeah, I really enjoyed this one too. I like seeing games with an artistic feel to them, either in aesthetic or message; and in the case of games like this, both.

Brilliant. Pure art.
And really freaking depressing.

I know this is an odd thing to ask, but what exactly are all the steps?

Aside from that thought, excellennt "game." It really makes you think about the things you can do to break up the pace a bit.

SteakHeart:

Aside from that thought, excellennt "game." It really makes you think about the things you can do to break up the pace a bit.

I believe they are:

1. Go to work, work in the cubicle.
2. Jump off the building
3. Go with the hobo to the graveyard
4. Pet the cow
5. Show up to work in your underwear

Didn't understand the ending, but the game was fairly interesting

Say Anything:

SteakHeart:

I believe they are:

2. Jump off the building
4. Pet the cow

But where's the cow?

SteakHeart:

Say Anything:

SteakHeart:

I believe they are:

2. Jump off the building
4. Pet the cow

But where's the cow?

You have to get out of your car and walk off-screen, not sure if you have to be in your underwear or not, but I was.

EDIT: Also, catching the leaf was DEFINITELY one of them, so I'm not sure which one isn't. Maybe it's the cow, or maybe it's showing up in your underwear. Not sure.

I don't quit know how to launch it. can I get some help.

That was...

Wow...

Is is just the one ending? I looked around, tried going back after I saw, well, you know, but before it happened, and though everything was silent there was nothing new to interact with and the car blocked my way back home.

TheMadTypist:
Is is just the one ending? I looked around, tried going back after I saw, well, you know, but before it happened, and though everything was silent there was nothing new to interact with and the car blocked my way back home.

Just one ending because that goes with the messages the game says.

In my interpretation....no matter how different you make your life, your going to die (jump, in this case).

Brotherofwill:
Awesome, I liked it. As simple as a game can be.

Mr Thomsos:

Visual awesomeness

Nice avatar.

ty :P

Cleril:

TheMadTypist:

In my interpretation....no matter how different you make your life, your going to die (jump, in this case).

I thought he lived the most when he was trying to break things up. It's too bad he ran out of things.

I found it pretty good, didn't much understand the ending, but seeing as the stock seemed to crash, it might make sense.

Okay, now this was good.

We really need more games like this; simplistic, yet functional and thought-provocative above all.

What else is there to say? The final day really hits the nail home and the monotonous music highlights excellently the emptiness of the 'protagonists' life, even when the player tries to break the routine.

I'm not sure what to call this. Experimental gameplay? Interactive storytelling? Art? Sandbox?

Either way, it's really bleak but lovely.

I like my games more... gamey. But I'm not complaining to much because I didn't have to pay anything for it. But if I did I'd be angry.

... sorry The Path...

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. It's kinda depressing though.

Say Anything:

SteakHeart:

I believe they are:

1. Catch the leaf.
2. Jump off the building
4. Pet the cow

There, fix'd it:)

And I absolutely love it. Especially the soundtrack. Where can I get it?

nice game, with a special ending.

This game sucks! There's no storyline, no sence of accomplishment or anything remotely interesting. I spent 5 minutes playing with this (with the sound off; because the music almost made me kill myself) then got to the end to watch some character fall of a roof and die, when I'd done it and survived :S I have no idea what this is trying to achieve and seems like the game for a bad romance novel where a depressed man commits suicide after being left by his wife!

Reminds me of Don't Look Back, and The Company of Myself (both games on Kongregate). I am quite fond of the style, personally. Less game and more art. It's good to push the boundaries of the medium from time to time.

I like this game. It really encourages you to break the habit. Even the small things, like just leaving on the alarm. It was also quite haunting how you were alone after finishing all those 'steps'. No wife, no homeless guy, no traffic, no cow, no boss, no colleagues... except one. I didn't quite get that ending, though.

This game did make me think about the reason and purpose of games. Isn't escapism one of the purest form of gaming? The urge to break things up a bit? That's the reason for gamers, or at least for me, to see what a game allows you to do. Break the habit by running over a kid who was just walking down the street. Stand and do nothing when the terrorist opens fire on you. Or indeed, jump off a tall building.

It seems that the more a game sinks into a rut, the more satisfying it is to break free. And when the game shows not a government agent, an assassin, an infiltrator or a superhero but just a regular guy, the rut in our own lives becomes even more evident. You can't shoot aliens in real life, so you can do it in Aliens vs. Predator. However, when you wake up in the morning you are very well able to go to work in your underwear. Although this time your boss might inquire as to where your pants are, rather than your tie.

But we don't go to work in our underwear, and we don't leave traffic to pet a cow, even though we can. That's what makes this game so intriguing. Why don't we break the habit once in a while?

It just makes me want to go, you know. Disappear. Get on the train or the plane and don't look back.

From the ending I got that was the guys dream, as the name of the game implies the dream to just escape from the monotony of it all even through death.

That was... amazing.

Purely inspirational.

Was that you at the end on the roof?

To be honest I thought this game wasn't very artistic at all, whilst the look and feel were good, I just didn't feel anything there

birkalo:
This game sucks! There's no storyline, no sence of accomplishment or anything remotley interesting. I spent 5 minutes playing with this (with the sound of; because the music almost made me kill myself) then got to the end to watch some character fall of a roof and die, when I'd done it and survived :S I have know idea what this is trying to achieve and seems like the game for a bad romance novel where a depressed man commits suicide after being left by his wife!

That's hardly a brilliant attitude for a "game designer" to have. We all have to be open to ideas. Such non-commercial works as this don't really have to worry about being bound by a linear narrative.

The game definitely made me think and the final "step" was slightly depressing. Perhaps the emptiness of the area during that stage could be attributed to the companiies downfall. Maybe it was the town's main employer.

Just brilliant.

cant stop playing these games

EnigmaticSevens:
Hmm... Orpheus?

Yes, the game was glorious, and the ending was... priceless.

can you link that game i would like to play it please

Very Strange

Florion:

Cleril:

TheMadTypist:

I thought he lived the most when he was trying to break things up. It's too bad he ran out of things.

By doing all that he did he showed the world how everyone is just a robot. That they are going to keep grinding so that they can do everything society wants them to do. When they saw that you jumped, everyone though "Hey, we're gonna die anyway, why not have fun."

That's the message I pretty much got but it's just one of those games that's meant to be interpreted.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here