Review: Army of Two: The 40th Day

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Review: Army of Two: The 40th Day

A somewhat-exciting adventure in generic gunplay and macho pats on the ass.

Read Full Article

Oh yes Funk. He did just slap his ass. My older and little brother loved the first one so he will buy this one soon. And I like that the masks have more uses. I'm just a bit curious though, is the flower mask the best?

Bought the first one, I regret it. It was fun, but not replayable. I don't really rent games, so I'll probably be giving this a pass.

Can't wait to pick this up. Played through it 3 times with 3 different people and it's been a blast every time. It's generic for sure, but a good kind of generic that I absolutely love.

Atleast they are out of the closet about it.

He didn't slap his ass...

He touch his bum with the palm of his hand.

Well, looks like a rental at best. But a damn fun rental.

I only paid $16 for it, since I traded in Assassin's Creed 2 and Brutal Legend, two games I beat. I agree, the game is meant to be played with another person, and is average. I really like it since I can carry around a P90 painted gold and chrome, with two pop cans attached to the barrel as a silencer.

lol...if this is anything like the first one just a fully blown testosterone adventure through nothingness...Might rent iut, certainly not buying it...

Resident evil 5, a game where the second player is a female.. People hated the cow.

Army of 2, a game that has 2 male characters in their co-op storyline... People automatically assume they're gay!

There's just no pleasing anyone is there..

I'd laugh if the developers just threw their hands up in the air and shipped the next co-op game with transvestites...

snowfox:
There's just no pleasing anyone is there...

If two characters were lesbians, it would *ahem* "satisfy" many, if not everyone. Just sayin'.

As for the matter at hand - well, what should have we expected? It's just an average shooter, after all.

I feel this bears mentioning:

Glory to the Angry Joe army, creators of the AS-KR 1.

I got one question. Does everyone in the sequel swear like every five seconds?

The constant unnecessary swearing from everyone, kind of put me off from the first game.

Hooray for explosions!

On the topic at hand: it looks like fun but I'll probably skip it because I'd rather get Red Steel 2 and Bioshock 2.

i bought it full price the day after it came out
why?
because I like this series and this game takes it too another level with improved game play and upgrade mechanics

my only gripes are that:
there are a few set ups for enemies, you know like a few costumes and hats, but thats it, big guys are spread through out the level to mix things up but at one point I gunned down a five man squad with the same hat and costume...

also enemies always have the same gun as you so there isnt a problem with ammo (not really a complaint but its a bit wierd to have everyone using the AK47 in the very last mission when all the way through they have been using the top of the range Scar-H because you switched over for a bit more of a challenge)

the gun camo makes no sense what so ever, yeah sure it adds to aggro, which is OK, and its fun to have a sniper rifle covered in black and white skulls, but why the hell do i have jungle camo in the middle of shang hai?
Is it so hard to get just simple black camo?

I have to agree with Funk, for most people this is a rental game, but if you love (or even just like) the series you should buy it.

Just wanted to point out that I never understood why the series has gotten so much flak from people saying that the two main characters are overly macho idiots. My only counter point is a resounding "So?" with a shrug of my shoulders. Sometimes I play a video game to just shoot stuff and watch it die. What game is honestly made better by the protagonist showing a weaker more sensitive side of themselves? (except for the gears of war series of course, but most people just bitch about that dragging on)

+Its way more funny then the original Army of Two :]

-Checkpoints and Anywhere-shopping dont mix because you will ahve to do the shopping again if you die, and if you play with a guest he/she will not get his bought weapons saved so if you exit the game and then start it again the weapons that the guest have bought will be gone

I was not going to buy this game and this review, makes me wat to buy even less it just looks like every other late FPS.

Kollega:

snowfox:
There's just no pleasing anyone is there...

If two characters were lesbians, it would *ahem* "satisfy" many, if not everyone. Just sayin'.

As for the matter at hand - well, what should have we expected? It's just an average shooter, after all.

That would be pretty awesome... Though I'm sure an idiot over at HQ will try to push for one of them to be as butch as the guys in Ao2, thus making the attempt fall flat on it's face... :(

Just finished this and found it really fun, the gun customisation has taken a turn for the worse though. Overall it was a pretty epic game that i enjoyed every minute of.

I had heard nothing about the original other than jokes about the main characters being gay, but I assumed they were just that, jokes.

When I read the first couple of sentences I balked ... Then I guffawed as I realized it was but a jest. hahaha

As someone who love the flawed original, to anyone else who did as well and who has one (1!) friend to play through it all online with, I think it is worth while. Of course I only pay $20 for new EA games, but I think it is worth more.

For fans of the original, it is much better in graphics, mechanics, "feel", story and weapon use and upgrading.

My brother and I beat the game in less than 5hrs, which tells a lot about the amount of content you can expect. The biggest gripe I had about the game is that levels were just, to put bluntly sucked ass, they were short and very uncreative. Same shit every level never really stepped it up as far as a challenge factor goes. Needless to say we played the first together and enjoyed it, this one however he went back to gamestop and lucky to get $20 out of it. At any rate it is defiantly a renter even if they cut the price to $30. There is more content out of steam indie games that you pay $9.99.

You left out multiplayer modes and the custom mask and armor design creator on the EA website.

i wonder if they improved your partner A.I. cause the first one sucked

Heh, rented it last Friday with a buddy. All in all very much the same as the original (except for the moral choice bits and the highly improved GPS system) and good, competent fun for a few hours, but definitely not worth more than 25 Euros... I'll end up buying it eventually, but only second-hand or if I find it in a bin somewhere.

paralost:
i wonder if they improved your partner A.I. cause the first one sucked

all the gameplay has been improved
including enemy AI (by the way, watch out if you get downed because enemies run over if they are close enough and snap your face off)

snowfox:
Resident evil 5, a game where the second player is a female.. People hated the cow.

Army of 2, a game that has 2 male characters in their co-op storyline... People automatically assume they're gay!

I'd laugh if the developers just threw their hands up in the air and shipped the next co-op game with transvestites...

I think it's less that they're both male and more that they seem to be going out of their way to do masculine things. People secure in their sexuality don't do that.

As a side note, people hated Sheva? I didn't think she was that bad, or at least not any worse than anyone else in that god-awful game.

orannis62:

snowfox:

I think it's less that they're both male and more that they seem to be going out of their way to do masculine things. People secure in their sexuality don't do that.

As a side note, people hated Sheva? I didn't think she was that bad, or at least not any worse than anyone else in that god-awful game.

I think we've just heard different sides of the story when it came to Sheva... I never personally had a problem with her. I've heard a gripe or 30 from others about how much they couldn't stand her as a character. I'm not including those who have had a problem with her in single player though.

I've never got to play through the entire first Ao2, seeing as how I only get to play it when I go to my brothers house... So unless I missed a cutscene that ripped off that one commercial I once saw where 2 guys accidentally kissed and then immediately pulled out some chest hair to prove their manhood. The main characters in the game seemed to act like brothers to me..

My brother and I just looked at eachother and laughed when my character tried to lift open a gate, failing miserably, and his character just shoves him out of the way and lifts it with ease. (This happens all the time in some way, shape, or form in RL when he and I hang out.)

Perhaps if they were actually brothers, would their actions be overlooked? That being asked with the hopes that I'm not missing out on anything considering I have yet to play through it all.

Heard this game is TERRIBLE, despite what people say about it being an improvement on the original. The only good thing about the first one was that you could bitch about it with your co-op buddy, or when he pissed you off, you could lock him into repeated fist bumps that he can't run away from.

I've played it and it is suprisingly mediocre in every department except the ending.

The ending made me realize that after going through all the work, I actually started to give a damn about Salem and Rios. I'm still regretting choosing to go for all of the + Moral choices.

I'd say surviving a direct plane crash and immediately jumping to your feet earns you a slap on the ass - at least to make sure it isn't secretly made out of unobtainium.

snowfox:

orannis62:

snowfox:

I think we've just heard different sides of the story when it came to Sheva... I never personally had a problem with her. I've heard a gripe or 30 from others about how much they couldn't stand her as a character. I'm not including those who have had a problem with her in single player though.

I've never got to play through the entire first Ao2, seeing as how I only get to play it when I go to my brothers house... So unless I missed a cutscene that ripped off that one commercial I once saw where 2 guys accidentally kissed and then immediately pulled out some chest hair to prove their manhood. The main characters in the game seemed to act like brothers to me..

My brother and I just looked at eachother and laughed when my character tried to lift open a gate, failing miserably, and his character just shoves him out of the way and lifts it with ease. (This happens all the time in some way, shape, or form in RL when he and I hang out.)

Perhaps if they were actually brothers, would their actions be overlooked? That being asked with the hopes that I'm not missing out on anything considering I have yet to play through it all.

Waitwaitwait...people were playing a RE game and somehow found Sheva worse than Chris? Don't get me wrong, I hate them both (I just hate the game, yet I can't stop playing it! Grrr...), but if I had to choose one, I'd go with Sheva. I'm not sure why, maybe it's just because she's reasonably proportioned, unlike Chris "Melon Arms" Redfield. Although that accent goes very far towards offsetting that...

...sorry, I tend to go on tangents about RE5. If NoMoreSanity hadn't been banned, we were going to do a co-op review of it (we played it together, at least once per difficulty, and we both hated it).

orannis62:

snowfox:

orannis62:

snowfox:

Waitwaitwait...people were playing a RE game and somehow found Sheva worse than Chris? Don't get me wrong, I hate them both (I just hate the game, yet I can't stop playing it! Grrr...), but if I had to choose one, I'd go with Sheva. I'm not sure why, maybe it's just because she's reasonably proportioned, unlike Chris "Melon Arms" Redfield. Although that accent goes very far towards offsetting that...

...sorry, I tend to go on tangents about RE5. If NoMoreSanity hadn't been banned, we were going to do a co-op review of it (we played it together, at least once per difficulty, and we both hated it).

Yes! Believe it or not, I know people who hate Sheva! I never personally had too much of a problem with her, but I do agree with you the accent was just something I couldn't come to terms with. Not trying to be racist... It's just not everyday that I come across something like that... It's like coming across an asian with a thick Pennsylvanian Dutch acccent. Understandable,(maybe?) but it will turn a few heads.

snowfox:

orannis62:

snowfox:

orannis62:

snowfox:

Yes! Believe it or not, I know people who hate Sheva! I never personally had too much of a problem with her, but I do agree with you the accent was just something I couldn't come to terms with. Not trying to be racist... It's just not everyday that I come across something like that... It's like coming across an asian with a thick Pennsylvanian Dutch acccent. Understandable,(maybe?) but it will turn a few heads.

I know, I get that they were going for a South African accent, but a friend of mine is from South Africa and he sounds nothing like that.

It wasn't even like she had one accent, she kept switching back and forth.

I'd actually buy that game you described at first. It sounds a shit load more interesting than this drivel.

I think Army of two is a poor mans gears of war. it brings nothing good to the table besides bad controls a bad story and a lot f cliches

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here