Escapist News Network: On Punctuation

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

sounds like a sweet game your making Yahtzee and oh how subtle was that cross promotion. Didnt have any time to talk about the "mana bar"?

I know this is a comedy show so you lose some flack, but I'm afraid I have a "FALSE REPORTING" response to your "Digital distribution is down" article.

*deskslam*
OBJECTION!
Katana: ENN, you said that there was a report recently put out saying digital distribution was down over the year 2009. Unfortunately for you, I happen to have the report right here. And as it says...the report is only focused on CONSOLES.
Judge: Wha...is that right?
Katana: It is so, your honor. Xbox Live Arcade, Playstation Network, WiiWare...those are the only systems it's including.
ENN: Uh...so? We never said that it was including anything else, and it's still...
Katana: Oh, but I'm afraid you've already demonstrated...you know EXACTLY what's been missing out! (Present news Picture-in-Picture) Here you show the Steam logo for your article; one of the very digital distribution networks that was not included in the study!
Judge: How can you be sure those results aren't there? Would they truly affect the outcome? Just how many games does Steam sell in a year?
Katana: Interesting you ask that. Because I can't answer; NO ONE can. Steam has had a firm policy since the beginning of NEVER revealing their total sales! Final proof that this article is entirely false! Well, escape that, escapist!

"Kathleen Yahtzee DeVere Croshaw"
ahahahaha epic :D...
looking forward to more...

Good episode, The show seems to be getting into a good groove now. Nice to seem Graham and Paul with their fingers in many pies on the escapist too...

(...why is it i've only now realised how sexual that phrase is?)

Also, WOO YAHTZEE!

The Great JT:
What system is this "book" on?

From what I understand it comes with its own hardware, like a Game and Watch, but likely it will be released on the new handheld contender "Kindle". I can't see that thing ever rivaling the DS, but you know, you gotta sell to the market.

I think I might buy this book of Yahtzee's,
Just to see what it is like.

hahah, I actually got the fat boys joke XD

DP155ToneZone:
Err... Whats Yahtzee gunna do if his book sells a fuck tonne and Dark Horse asks for a sequel?!

We will have a conflicted Yahtzee thats for sure.

No we won't. He loves the precious, he hates the precious. In fact, most of the people who will buy the book, including me, will probably already be fans.

Poomanchu745:
I don't understand why digital distribution isn't booming as it makes life infinitely easier. Plus its hard to walk into gamestop and find a new copy of Mass Effect for 5 dollars. Sometimes I wish I had the game boxes but then I realize that I have no clue where any of my old game boxes currently are and then realize I can't play half of those games because the CDs are still in those boxes. Digital distribution ftw.

On the Playstation Network you can download FF7 for ten dollars. My concern with downloading it is where does it go when they eventually roll out a PS4? Until I have assurances that my digital downloads will be mine forever I'm not buying. I think a lot of people share that concern.

Now on to the book. What is it about? What genre? Details please. Listening to Yahtzee always makes me think of Kurt Vonnegut, and a video done in zero punctuation style with Yahtzee explaining what a "snarf" is would be hilarious.

That was awesome! One of the best ENN for me ^^

Hileict:

-snip-

You know why people prefer Western RPGs?
No random unavoidable encounters.

LOL oh god i want to read that zero punctuation novel!!
i think your eyes would start bleeding after the first page XD

FelixFox.:
You know why people prefer Western RPGs?
No random unavoidable encounters.

Really? That's all you've got? That's funny, I don't see how WRPG's are exempt from that AT ALL. They have encounters you MUST get through as well. Hell, Borderlands is a brilliant example. Waves and waves before you can even get past, then even after they'll even flank and follow you.

Either way, it's still an extremely stupid "reason". JRPG's have avoidable situations as well, you seem to forget Final Fantasy XII having a system with better choice making.. I'm really sick of people here at The Escapist who blatantly rip apart Final Fantasy and other similar games, not only for the name, but for trivial little things that are merely a strategic path instead of OMFGACTION path. Both have their merits and disadvantages.

But if anyone here actually did some proper research, they'd know that FFXIII (and to add, FFXIV) will have little to no grinding at all! It's a fluent, epic storyline (which, quite frankly, Square Enix kicks ass at, to their credit..) The battle system has MAJOR tweaks, it's much more action-based, but with the decision-making/strategic stuff still in there. The actual battles are ENTIRELY SITUATIONAL. You can easily run right past any enemies you don't wish to fight, it'll just give you less experience.

Games like Borderlands & Fallout 3 (the oh-so-amazing WRPG games as examples) also have leveling systems and are ALSO tedious grind-fests a lot of the time. It's going to happen, whether it's gathering money or experience, it'll happen.

Simply saying that WRPG's don't have random battles/encounters being the only reason that they're better than Japanese RPG's is a massive cop-out.

You're also only talking as one person. Tactical somewhat turn-based (but not always) types of RPG are actually quite well liked and enjoyed. Suddenly bashing an entire genre and/or splitting into two is complete and utter nonsense. Grow up.

TheNamlessGuy:
I want the ZP book...

Great episode, guys.

Me, too. me too..

magicmonkeybars:
can someone explain the mw2 joke ?
other then that very funny :D

I'm not sure, but I think it's a reference to this one time some rappers were on a PBS maths show... I got sent the video link once as a joke...

Irridium:
Wait, was that last line a Parappa the Rappa reference?

My respect for you just skyrocketed.

I'm not sure if it could have been a reference to this, because I haven't played the game, but it's another possibility - was it a song on it or something?

CriticalGriffin:
"You've clearly never seen any comments on Yahtzee's videos in Youtube."

Note, I did say MAYBE. As if I had second thoughts. Which I did.

Hileict:

-snip-

Alright, I'll allow you a proper argument then.

Admittadly I've only played two of them, VII and IX. I just didn't enjoy them. The turn-based combat was boring. You use the same attack, heal method over and over. There was very little to do with actually making and tweaking your characters. They have very few alternative strategies or tactics like stealth or ambushing.

While Western RPG's may have encounters you must get through enemies don't randomly and instantaneously spawn. You can see the enemies and their potential strengths and weaknesses and plan your attack accordingly.

Final Fantasy is torn up because people find it incredibly easy. Most people take the story as a prime example. I for one enjoyed the opening phases of IX, the whole planning the kidnapping, the false play, etc. Have you considered that people "who blatantly rip apart Final Fantasy and other similar games" are just voicing their opinion? You know, like exactly what you are doing RIGHT NOW.

Right, so XIII and XIV sound like they might be interesting. I'll admit, I havn't done much research on Final Fantasy but that's just because I'm not that interested in it and they repeat the settings a lot. They are generally some high-fantasy land with lots of magic whereas in Western RPGs you can find dark fantasy, Sci-fi-esque fantasy (a-la Fallout) and Mass Effect's giant inter-galactic extravaganza.

I personally like the "grinding" in Western RPGS. I enjoy the stories of the sidequests, carrying out investigations and such. Or even just running about murdering people and nicking all their stuff.

So, there you go. Also I won't stoop to your level of common insults.

Now, should you wish to argue further we can do so over PM as I don't want to annoy fellow users or get shouted at by mods for going off topic.

InvisibleSeal:

I'm not sure if it could have been a reference to this, because I haven't played the game, but it's another possibility - was it a song on it or something?

Yeah, Parappa was a PS1 game.

It was a music game, you pressed buttons on the controller and the characters sang and danced rapped and busted moves.

It was like a combination of Guitar Hero and Dance Dance Revolution, to put it roughly.

The rapping starts around the 2:00 mark, and its awsome

Irridium:
-snip- since this would be a very long post with the video and everything

Ahaha that's awesome, it's like a parody of itself - it even has the earlier version of the guitar hero star meter: "u rappin good!"

I actually like Chuck Palahniuk.

Awww...Someone's got a crush on that hat!

...Get out of the way, Yahtzee, people wanna see the hat!

DON'T TAKE IT OFF!

Yeah...now put it on...that's it, slo-oo-oowly...

Perhaps Mr Croshaw should do Radio, seeing as he's not comfortable in front of a camera but is a reveling box of charisma and lewdness in recording. Or would that be too many side projects?

Actually a billion is not "a thousand millions"(10^9), that is a... hum well in my language is "millardo".
A billion is "a million millions"(10^12) witch is a more logical numerical transition. Only the United States English, Brazilian Portugueze, Turkish and Greek use it. I´m not sure about British English.

Heh, that was brilliant.
Was the clip with Yahtzee filmed last year? Seeing as he did say the book was "coming out next year, in august 2010".

Kathleen... you... you broke my heart. I thought I was the one, we were meant to be! I'll never forgive you for this! I hate you!

FelixFox.:

While Western RPG's may have encounters you must get through enemies don't randomly and instantaneously spawn. You can see the enemies and their potential strengths and weaknesses and plan your attack accordingly.

I don't really want to get involved in an off topic two man argument but fallout 3 is full of instantaneous spawns. The Regulators or Talon Company can pop up any time you leave a tunnel. And the Point Lookout expansion is populated with instances where tribals or locals spawn as soon as soon as you meet a quest objective.

And I haven't played mass effect in a while but I remember one part very clearly. I walked up to an abandoned structure and a cutscene played showing the robots that jump around a lot and after the cutscene I was dead. I died several times and it was very annoying because the cutscene was unskippable and dying was the only way to know what was actually coming.

Don't get me wrong I loved both of these games.

PlasticLion:

FelixFox.:

I don't really want to get involved in an off topic two man argument but fallout 3 is full of instantaneous spawns. The Regulators or Talon Company can pop up any time you leave a tunnel. And the Point Lookout expansion is populated with instances where tribals or locals spawn as soon as soon as you meet a quest objective.

And I haven't played mass effect in a while but I remember one part very clearly. I walked up to an abandoned structure and a cutscene played showing the robots that jump around a lot and after the cutscene I was dead. I died several times and it was very annoying because the cutscene was unskippable and dying was the only way to know what was actually coming.

Don't get me wrong I loved both of these games.

Constantly respawning enemies is a bit different, you know what's coming.

I havn't played those two either, but they are on my "to play" list.

This reminds me that in the origional Fallout you could be accosted by enemies while fast travelling but that's different again.

Sorry mods for being off-topic.

I love it when they do crossovers - that unskippable video with yatzee in was legendary. I particularily remember when Yatzee asked "why is he wearing his knees outside his pants?"

Awww it was so cute to see Kathleen swoon over Yahtzee.... Wonder if Graham is going to buy one of those hats now...

Hileict:
the whole "constantly throwing insults about Final Fantasy XIII".. thing.. Is really getting old and needs to stop.

I disagree.

A company that chooses to promote its game by tempting people into a windowless black pedo van deserves to be made fun of. Period.

I agree. The hat is dreamy.

MasterSplinter:
Actually a billion is not "a thousand millions"(10^9), that is a... hum well in my language is "millardo".
A billion is "a million millions"(10^12) witch is a more logical numerical transition. Only the United States English, Brazilian Portugueze, Turkish and Greek use it. I´m not sure about British English.

Yes, the english language has two scales to use when naming large numbers, one is the short scale that gives a new name to every term 1000 times greater than one million, while the long scale gives a new name to every term 1000000 times greater than one million.

So Short scale:
10^6 = million
10^9 = billion

Long scale:
10^6 = million
10^9 = Originally "1000 millions" but can now also be called milliard
10^12 = billion

Predominately, English speaking nations use the short scale, while other countries uses the long scale.

For more information in the matter, please refer to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales

It's the hat, chicks dig the hat.

her necklace is awesome!

dude, a Parappa ref and a Square One ref? awesome! I remember that episode.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here