Zero Punctuation: Darksiders

Pages PREV 1 . . . 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 NEXT

someboredguy:
Tee hee. Definitely more re-watchable than some of the more recent reviews.

Agreed. It's been a few weeks since I've actually laughed loud enough at ZP to trigger prairie-dogging in a cubicle farm. This one definitely lives up to Yahtzee's standards.

Glad someone hated the character design for War as much as I did.

The Youth Counselor:
Was he being a smartass when he pronounced homage as HOME-edge?

No, that's how it's pronounced in British English. I'd say "HOM-edge" rather than "HOME-edge" too, as "HOME" stretches out the vowel.

Totally agree about the art direction of this and other recent games (WoW - although WoW isn't "recent" per say).

if you thought War's look was cluttered you should see him once you unlock the abyssal armor set. It's just a huge mashup of metal skulls and jagged pointy bits...and more skulls.

I wonder if he is going to review Bayonetta. IMO is way better than Darksiders

Knight Templar:
Save points that are very far apart,
Systems that kill you not due to a lack of skill but because you couldn't know what was coming are unfair.

You don't consider these to be unfair, he does. That he thinks they are unfair doesn't mean he is bad at the game, it means he wants to be treated fairly and feels the game is not doing so.

If he was bad at the game surely he wouldn't have been able to move forward at all? Again all this is guessing, not a stable place to build an argument.

It's obvious you have not personally played Demon's Souls, because what he said about checkpoints was flat-out wrong. There are only 4 stages out of 16 that don't have shortcuts (essentially checkpoints), and those stages are the shortest in the game. Stage 1-1 that yahtzee did playthrough and beat had 3 shortcuts in obvious sight to unlock. The first of which having the Cling Ring next to it which Yahtzee didn't get or failed to mention since it increases your health by 20% while in soul form, an invaluable item which is why it's in plain sight in the first level.'

Also in regards to the difficulty, it's NEVER unfair or cheap throughout the entire game. Anytime you die it's because you were either (A) rushing through carelessly Rambo style or (B) not paying attention to your surrounding and missing multiple signs of traps in addition to the player messages warning of them. I've beaten the game 5 times now (first 3 totally in offline mode), and there was never a moment where I died and not know what I did wrong.

If you want a funny and TRUE review of demon's souls check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnyVo3XWqV0&feature=sub

I liked the review, lots of good lines. But i am still going to buy it. :P.

But as much as like Yahtzee "sighs" SPACE MARINES ATTAAAAAAAACK!

Also about Wars design, it looks like there trying so hard to make him look like a badass he is kinda hard to take seriously.

Good job as always Yahtzee, Looking forward to Mass effect 2 review as well as others.

I cannot wait for the Bayonetta review! I've been hoping to see a ZP review for this for quite a while.
Although, the game is a spectacle fighter
Which I love!
But, he'll complain about it somehow.
Except for the sexual references.

He definitely sounded more angry than in the other episodes, but it still had some wintastic lines such as "Bacopalypse".

The only game he said is a God of War ripoff that actually is would be Dante's Inferno. Darksiders is much more like Zelda and Bayonetta is much more like Devil May Cry as it was made by someone on the original DMC team. End of story.

Ive never posted a comment but had to sign up and post for this as it bugged me.

I'm playing it on the hardest difficulty and let me tell you, there's a -lot- more than just pressing one button involved :p

I beat Darksiders on Apocalyptic first play through and it was super epic. Highly recommended if you want to play a "new and improved" Zelda game. Not GoW! At all.

And it was not easy, either. I would rate it on par with Demon's Souls (130+ hrs played) for difficulty in many aspects, tho the checkpoint system certainly made beating it that much easier. The bosses tho, those were tough with only 4 health skulls (that's what you get back after dying). Most bosses took me 10+ tries.

Yahtzee was right about one thing tho, War is a boring character showing almost no emotion - at one point he shows some rage, which unlocks Chaos form. So anyway, I'd say due to War's lack of emotion, it's hard to really identify with him so the game fails to really immerse you that way. But combat, puzzles, exploration, collections... all awesome and very well implemented.

Do I detect a hint of personal experience in this video? I hate surfers too bunch of bronzed wank bags. One thing that troubles me about this game is that war is supposed to be in attendance at any conflict so wasn't it his business to be there anyway? Not like he has anything better to do.

Great review

momerfet:
One thing that troubles me about this game is that war is supposed to be in attendance at any conflict so wasn't it his business to be there anyway? Not like he has anything better to do.

Great review

The explanation for that is simple. Aphrodite had broken up with War again so he was all mopey and emo. Therefore the only way God could get him out of his house was to tell him that the Apocalypse was starting.

Aaa the deity version of inviting a mate out to a singles bar. It's the oldest trick in the book

Exuse me for sounding ignorant but what's with the big mouth thing on every single hooded character he makes?

I ended up getting it anyway as a rather mindless time waster before GoW 3 hits the shelves. As far as that goes, I was content with what it offered for what I got it for. Nothing is ever going to be totally and utterly original, like every other popular media medium from here to forever. Consumers have shot themselves in the foot as far as that goes, no one wants to try new and untested ideas even if creators wanted to go in that direction.

I'm guessing Yatzhee will have to explain what he means by "clone" in Extra Punctuation.

Turbo_ski:
It's obvious you have not personally played Demon's Souls

True, I have based my thoughts on what two of my friends have told me, if they were incorrect I apologise.

I really think he won`t like GOW3 as much as the others...

Look at the E3 2009 Demo...

But in all honesty, Yahtzee will probably like GOW3 to some extent...

Why anyone would get this game after Yahtzee mercilessly destroyed it is beyond me.

xDarc:
Why anyone would get this game after Yahtzee mercilessly destroyed it is beyond me.

Because Yahtzee hates everything, and his reviews are meant to be taken with mountainous piles of salt.

Three words:

BEST.REVIEW.EVER!

xDarc:

Because if they didn't they'd stop playing games? I've enjoyed many of the games he destroys just as much as the reviews in which he destroys them. Darksiders inculded. It's actually a very decent game.

xDarc:

because Yahtzee isn't a real reviewer. If you don't believe me, then ask if you can trust his opinion on Demon's Souls when he admits to having not played the game past the 2nd level. Real reviewers like those at Kotaku and Gamespot play the entire game before giving their opinion on it.

Wow, yahtzee really nit-picked the crap outta darksiders. I like it, but he makes alot of good points.

Yay, this is one of the better videos Yatzee made.
Overall very nice.
It seemed as if he speaks less fast and makes more breakes between sentences hence raising understanding of the viewer.
This and his clearer and angrier voice put mor emphasis on the content of his review.
Finally after some weeks, i enjoyed his review.

Turbo_ski:

xDarc:

because Yahtzee isn't a real reviewer. If you don't believe me, then ask if you can trust his opinion on Demon's Souls when he admits to having not played the game past the 2nd level. Real reviewers like those at Kotaku and Gamespot play the entire game before giving their opinion on it.

Gamespot aren't "Real reviewers." As much as I take Yahtzee with a grain of salt I trust him more than Gamespot - especially after the Kane and Lynch thing.

Demoliboy2:

tellmeimaninja:

Demoliboy2:
WAit a second.. Did he said twilight princess was good?

First time i hear him said a zelda game was good O.O

On topic: Pretty good review, but i would love to fight with death..

When did he say that? The only note of Zelda I recall was the "recreating the same game since [whenever the original came out]

Best episode of ZP in a long time.
I want to somehow mod the game so that Yahtzee's rant would play every time I killed an enemy. That might actually make the game worth buying.
"I am a MONSTER TRUCK that walks like a man!"

2:40 "I aprecciate that taking elements from a good game that worked well"

Here you go ;)

Well, he also said the "remaking the same game" thing, so I'm pretty sure he's generally against the series.

Inriri:

AC10:
I don't see why he's so mad at ripping off God of War which was essentially a Devil May Cry rip-off. At least give credit where credit is due.

Even then, wouldn't Devil May Cry be considered a rip off of older games like Fighting Force?

and or Resident Evil since that was what DMC was meant to be, a new Resident Evil.

besayewich:
this game is nothing like god of war
your so silly!

quite a bit of rage there

I know, all of them are ripping off of Devil May Cry, they did it first after all.

Red Orbs, Devil may cry

obsession with "style" in combos, devil may cry

obnoxiously arrogant and capable main characters, devil may cry.

Noelveiga:

xDarc:

Because if they didn't they'd stop playing games? I've enjoyed many of the games he destroys just as much as the reviews in which he destroys them. Darksiders inculded. It's actually a very decent game.

I'm the same way, some of my most favorite recent games are in his reviews and torn to shreds, Mass Effect included. The reviews aren't to stop people from buying games, it's to give them a viewpoint they don't receive from someone being PAID to say that every game is golden treasure.

wildcard9:
So I guess this means we won't be getting a review of the new Dawn of War expansion...

We won't anyway. Didn't you see the Halo Wars review?

I feel that something has really changed in this review!

Yahtzee, have you changed your mic?

Seriously, yahtzee sounds clearer! I'm not a native English speaker so sometimes I don't really understand, but in this one I had an easier time getting all the words. I'm also noticing more humor in the reviews, which is very good!

Keep it up!

Pages PREV 1 . . . 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or