Zero Punctuation: Darksiders

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

well... thats GoW clone 1, cant wait to see how the other 2 get reviewed limerick and accents are out so what new style will he concoct next.

shame the actual GoW is the last one out cause itll probably be a review a long the lines of "watch the last 3 weeks reviews then flip the opinions round"

I would like to see a PC port of this. There aren't many Zelda-like games for computers.

I'm getting a bit sick of the GoW rip offs. I thought you would have done Bayonetta first though. Darksiders looked like complete shite to me but it's been getting sterling reviews.
Blue and Orange portals though? HA! Cleptomania indeed.

"I'm a monster truck that looks like a man!"

I AM A MONSTER TRUCK THAT WALKS LIKE A MAN!

Awesome review Yahtzee!

Meh, I'm really enjoying Darksiders as it's basically Zelda with combat that's far more fun. Of course, I'm also playing it on hard, so I have to pay attention a bit to what I'm doing. It's probably a much more bland combat system when you play on easy. Still fun to watch though.

Also, though I understand that it would've killed the joke to say this, Bayonetta is a Devil May Cry clone, not God of War, and there's a big difference there.

- J

Arthas! oh no wait... War? who the hell?

Aunel:
Awesome!

I stopped playing bass for 5 minutes to watch this one,
this is truly one of his best.

We get it! You love bass! Do you even have any fingertips left?

Anyways, better review than usual, was thinking the standard was starting to slip.

I agree that War's design does look rather ridiculous.

Hopefully this doesn't become a new trend in game character design.

"For the love of God....of War" , briliant, the tears will not stop.

I wonder how long games like this can ride the God of War gravy train before it derails and hopefully destroys the copycat game designers in the process.

Since the game is destined to fail at least TRY something new for once.

Oh come on, you're really going to group Majora's Mask with all the other Zelda games? I'll grant you that most Zelda games follow an identical formula, but MM is unlike anything I've ever played. Seriously.

Anyway, great review, as always.

This game was boring, and bayonetta was bigger, better, and more boob-uh I mean bad ass. I hope he doesn't consider bayonetta a gow clone, it's not it's an evolution of devil may cry, which predates gow. Sorry nerdgasm over.

Man oh man, one GOW rip off down, two to go untill the main event GOW3 baby.

Alright, "I am a monster truck that walks like a man" is one of my favourite phrases of all time.

Between this and extra punctuation, it sounds like Yathzee had an awful week.

Saul B:

Aunel:
Awesome!

I stopped playing bass for 5 minutes to watch this one,
this is truly one of his best.

We get it! You love bass! Do you even have any fingertips left?

yes, I have callous covering all my fingertips

When I played Go-Darksiders I mashed the triangle button instead of the square guss what It didn't make any difference because they have the same moves! I still had a bit of fun with it though.

The crack about the folks who like Warhammer 40,000 made me chuckle, though I hasten to point out I don't resemble a gelatinous creature, no sirree! Ghillie suits made out of pots and pans sound awesome though.

Personally I think Darksiders is more a ripoff of just Zelda and Portal myself, but eh.

Was an absolutely brilliant review, I was laughing my head off all the way through.

Oh well, I'm still having fun with the game...

"I am a monster truck that walks like a man!"

Brill. I burst out laughing.

s69-5:
Hm... Far be it for me to agree with Yahtzee, but yeah, Joe Mad's art style has been in decline since his stint on X-Men many years ago. He was at his best during X-Men: Age of Apocalypse and then it all started to tumble...

Really? I just read Age of Apocalypse two months ago (thanks Library!) and it was pretty awful. Maybe it's just because I didn't read it at the time that it came out. Plus some kid had drawn genitals and nipples on all the women. That doesn't help (gee thanks, Library :/)
I thought he was doing all right on Battle Chasers, but yeah his work tends to switch between way-too-busy and proper.
Plus I kinda hate him because he quit doing a job I'd kill for so he could waste ten years trying to make a videogame.
Videogame gets spell-checked?

How is Bayonetta one of the God of War rip-off's since it is made by the guy who did DMC1, a much better game that came before God of War? If anything God of War ripped off Devil May Cry while Bayonetta improves on what made DMC1 so great compared to its sequels.

Seems someones just a GoW Fanboy. Mabye he just has a thing for angsty musclebags, who knows. Regardless next week is gonna be fun if this is how he "views" it.

Wow. This ZP was one of the better ones I've seen in a good long time.
$5 says that by the time GoW III comes out Yahtzee will be so sick of it he'll just hate on it more than usual.

sirdanrhodes:
To be honest, I thought Darksiders was a PS3 only game. Now I know it's on 360, I'm skeptical. Thanks Yahtzee.

Why does that make a difference?

PS2MAN:
How is Bayonetta one of the God of War rip-off's since it is made by the guy who did DMC1, a much better game that came before God of War? If anything God of War ripped off Devil May Cry while Bayonetta improves on what made DMC1 so great compared to its sequels.

Seems someones just a GoW Fanboy. Mabye he just has a thing for angsty musclebags, who knows.

Get you - did he even say that he likes God of War?

And do you understand the purpose of these videos?

Yahtzee was as good as ever. It's intresting how his line-up for the immideate future are three God of War ripoffs, and then an actual game from God of War series. Dig at Warhammer 40k is just icing on the cake, but anyway - FUCK YEAH!

Idea of ghillie suit made of dinner ware is a fine idea, though. Where can i get one?

Such a shame that a game that look so good has such a bad combat system

Funniest review in a while IMO

"For the love of god... of war" hahaha

Sweet Borg reference!

I have yet to see more than a couple of screenshots of this game but after the many reviews I've seen on it (including this one, of course) I don't think I'm missing out on this game at all.

At PAX09 the Darksiders booth featured a mechanical bull dressed up like the demon-horse from the cover. People lined up to ride it, it seemed pretty cool (no way in hell was I going on that thing, I like my bits & pieces where they are, thanks) but nowhere did I see the actual game featured. So many other booths had dozens of screens and speakers shouting about how amazing their new game was. Not so much with Darksiders, just ride the damned "horse" and remember what our game is called...please. This should've been tip enough that it wasn't a worthy title, even the devs/publisher didn't see fit to feature it.

Why no mention of Mark Hamill's emotionally abusive Navi clone?

love the pie chart, and warhammer 40k refferance. Look forward to your other god of war clone reviews >_<

oh my God-of-War!!!

Outstanding, maybe his best review yet. Only one thing, Bayonetta couldn't be any more different from God of War. What all these games have in common though and especially the first three it the general topic of Heaven vs. Hell.

SomeBritishDude:
"I AM A MONSTER TRUCK THAT WALKS LIKE A MAN!"

Wow, we've already got a contender for quote of the year.

I second this.

That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed Darksiders. Yes, it's a patchwork blanket of shamelessly ripped-off gameplay concepts, but seeing how I enjoyed all the games this stuff was ripped from I really can't complain about it - that's why I'm probably going to enjoy Dante's Inferno, too.

Also, considering how much Yahtzee hates today's blandly colored games, I'd hoped he'd mention the fact that Darksiders actually employs a full pallette of colors, which is especially astounding considering that it takes place 100 years after a cataclysmic event that wiped out the human race.

At least it's a decent idea, I can name 3 worse ones off the bat:
A video game based off the second part (apparently everyone forgets the first and the third) of dante's epic
A plan 9 from outer space game
And another halo game

P.S. will you ever review the penumbra games?

BTW why is every game in this style called a "God of War ripoff"?
What about Devil May Cry? Or Ninja Gaiden?
Personally, I think God of War gets WAY too much credit. Plus Kratos looks like a bit like a firedancer in the hard-gay section of Burning Man.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here