Zero Punctuation: Darksiders

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 17 NEXT

I'm glad this review was better than the Torchlight one. I actually thought he'd stopped making good stuff)

Captain Pancake:
Well, who is a manly game character?

Besides Captain Price, that is.

Don't mess with him, he's been on eastenders...

The best one of game actors being elsewhere was Sephiroth on Friends...ah I can imagine One Winged Angel while Chandler sits there making sarcastic comments about over compensating due to his 7 foot katana before his head getting sliced off.
best episode ever.

The God of War comment in the beginning about Bayonetta is just dumb since it's by the creator of Devil May Cry, which came out years before God of War.

Surprised no one has mentioned this: Dante's Inferno (loosely based on, well, the Divine Comedy) and Bayonetta (based on Devil May Cry and...the Divine comedy) are being called God of War clones, a game which based it's own gameplay on Ninja Gaiden and the original Devil May Cry (which is even more loosely based on, wait for it..................................the Divine Comedy)

Edited for clarity

Wait, there's seriously a gun that opens blue and orange portals? That wasn't just a joke? Shit, this game rips off more than I thought.

Bwahaha!!! Every time I think Yahtzee can't possibly top himself, he does.

If companies are going to combine game series how about god of war meets saints row 2. Over the top destroction and it is all about you not some character they made up. Actually i think saints row 2 plus some other games would be a great idea (devil may cry). Oh by the way I'm not the subjesting a sandbox game just the level of custimization and personality that went into the character.

please excuse any errors I am tired.

oh great review by the way

Despite all the copying you mentioned, the game is actually amazingly fun.

I think you gave too little credit to its combat, the mechanics feels distinctively different than God of War, I actually thought the game give you so much options that you will never ever use (like creed2) for combat, rather than just pressing the square buttons repeatedly which only account for the beginning of the game.

Therumancer:
Well God Of War wasn't especially unique itself, so I have mixed opinions about criticizing games for ripping it off. Zelda is a better complaint.

Very amusing review though.

Oh yes, one minor point I will make is that I think the comments about the "14 year old ideal of masculinity" sort of misses the target. Rather I'd simply say that the game is presenting typical masculinity, face it... guys are wired that way. The modern meterosexuals are more or less an attempt at self supression.

Or let me put it to you this way, we can either have a macho dude driven by a desire to protect, avenge, conquer, and destroy, who acts like a warrior (which mandates a degree of emotional repression while he's doing his thing), or some dude who wants to sit around and talk about his feelings and confusion over the state of human emotion constantly.

I suppose one of the big problems is that a compromise is VERY hard to do, which is why the tiny handfull of characters that pull it off are noteworthy. In general you've got a choice between a Soldier/Warrior, a sarcastic swashbuckler type, or some fruit who would be the the lead man for a chick flick (or one of those gay-seeming supernatural creatures from paranormal romance books and the movies based on them).

In general, I think the withdrawn attitude is pretty realistic to what people who survive via violence wind up like. Granted, they DO insert too much angst into it though which I do not see as a nessicary conclusion.

I suppose War could have been done as the witty "Swashbuckler" of the Nathan Drake mould, which is what you'd get the the "check it out, I'm a monster truck with legs" vibe. However I imagine Yahtzee would have hated that more...

The modern metrosexual is an attempt at self-repression? Really? First off, I think the whole concept of the 'metrosexual' is simply being a straight guy who knows how to dress well. Puts some thought into it. It's a play on the whole stereotype that gay men have inherently superior fashion sense. Doesn't really have much to do with anything deeper than how one dresses and carries themselves. The amount of care put into that.

But what you're trying to say is that the hyper masculinity of characters like War is somehow the true ideal of masculinity, and that's the real repression going on. Kids grow up to believe this stuff, and it stunts any other sort of emotional growth. Especially when any sign of emotion shown by men is labeled derogatively as "emo".

I don't think it's terribly hard to reach that middle ground that you're talking about, it happens all the time with great complex characters in literature and film. I think it's more a matter of western games completely pandering to the GI Joe fantasies of young boys. Obviously the japanese games tend to have a different take on the whole thing, treating their main characters more like sex-symbol radio stars. Thus the real divide I guess.

While the game definitely does take a lot of things from other games, I feel that it's well-done enough to be enjoyable regardless. It's probably worth a rental instead of a purchase, but I'd say it's worth playing.

And I can't help but shake the feeling that if War's character was indeed acting along the lines of "look at me I'm a monster truck that walks like a man!" Yahtzee would still be saying how the character was pandering to pre-adolescent ideals of what masculinity is because of how full of himself War is and how macho he acts about the violence. But I guess that's just the nature of ZP reviews and it's what the audience wants.

Am I the only one that realizes the game Darksiders takes after is God of WAR?! LIKE, IT'S RIGHT THERE!!
WAAAARRR!!!

Demoliboy2:
WAit a second.. Did he said twilight princess was good?

First time i hear him said a zelda game was good O.O

On topic: Pretty good review, but i would love to fight with death..

When did he say that? The only note of Zelda I recall was the "recreating the same game since [whenever the original came out]

Best episode of ZP in a long time.
I want to somehow mod the game so that Yahtzee's rant would play every time I killed an enemy. That might actually make the game worth buying.
"I am a MONSTER TRUCK that walks like a man!"

Oh my god.

It's sooooo refreshing to see some actual humor on this site. I've tried hard to convince myself that there's more to The Escapist than Zero Punctuation, but my mind was set after seeing game dogs. Keep on bringing the funny to this site Yahtze. You're the only reason I come here, and I bet it's the same for many people.

Brilliant review, one of your best.

Veldt Falsetto:

Captain Pancake:

The best one of game actors being elsewhere was Sephiroth on Friends...ah I can imagine One Winged Angel while Chandler sits there making sarcastic comments about over compensating due to his 7 foot katana before his head getting sliced off.
best episode ever.

Personally I prefer Captain Anderson in There's something about mary.

"How'd you get the beans above the pork???"

qazmatoz:
The God of War comment in the beginning about Bayonetta is just dumb since it's by the creator of Devil May Cry, which came out years before God of War.

Yeah I just played Bayonetta, there's no resemblance to GoW at all except they are both bound to a journey to kill gods. And is not even that since in Bayonetta you never actually know what the fuck is going on. Amazing combat thou, really really fun to actually play.

Anybody else think the watermark escapist e made it look like an escapist owned nudist colony. Definitely would not be worth all that to jump the fence to the escapist nudist colony.

Hahahahaha omg! The best review yet! :D You ser are a master :)

tellmeimaninja:

When did he say that? The only note of Zelda I recall was the "recreating the same game since [whenever the original came out]

Which anyone who's actually PLAYED said Zelda games knows better than to not label the franchise like that. Oh sure, plenty of Zelda games are pretty samey but not to the degree Yahtzee keeps thinking they do.

Oh damnit, I promised myself I wouldn't bitch about Yahtzee slinging insults at a franchise I liked again.

Veldt Falsetto:

Captain Pancake:

best episode ever.

Even worse than that is Sephiroth's voice actor from Kingdom Hearts Lance "oh that's a surprise" Bass

Had a feeling that this was going to incur the wrath of Yahtzee out of how derivative the game is (especially with the Portal gun). The whole Warhammer 40K feel (IE TESTOSTERONE UP THE WAZOO) would also be a huge notch down his approval.

Also, sorry if this has been said here (and will be referenced in Extra Puncuation), but Bayonetta is more accurately described as a Devil May Cry clone since it's directed by the same guy who did the first game as well being done by the team who did God Hand. Not so much an outright clone than a refined version of the Spectacle Fighter originator.

That was one of his best videos yet. The blue and orange portal gag was amazing.

I cannot believe Yahtzee passed over the fact that War is good for absolutely nothin'. Say it again, y'all.

Namulith:
Surprised no one has mentioned this: Dante's Inferno (loosely based on, well, Dante's Inferno) and Bayonetta (based on Devil May Cry and...Dante's Inferno) are being called God of War clones, a game which based it's own gameplay on Ninja Gaiden and the original Devil May Cry (which is even more loosely based on, wait for it..................................Dante's Inferno)

I'm sorry, but did you even play the Dante's Inferno demo? The control scheme is so copied and pasted from God of War that I was shocked to discover that it wasn't made by the same company.

I'm surprised that Yahtzee didn't make any comments about the voice acting. I mean, come on, you could've at least mentioned Mark Hamill making the Watcher sound exactly like the Joker.

TakuTheSamurai:
I cannot believe Yahtzee passed over the fact that War is good for absolutely nothin'. Say it again, y'all.

Good god (of war), y'all.

BlackFrost55:

Namulith:
Surprised no one has mentioned this: Dante's Inferno (loosely based on, well, Dante's Inferno) and Bayonetta (based on Devil May Cry and...Dante's Inferno) are being called God of War clones, a game which based it's own gameplay on Ninja Gaiden and the original Devil May Cry (which is even more loosely based on, wait for it..................................Dante's Inferno)

I'm sorry, but did you even play the Dante's Inferno demo? The control scheme is so copied and pasted from God of War that I was shocked to discover that it wasn't made by the same company.

Yes, I did. Completely not the point of my post.

It's true, over-drawing is a big big problem. You have to be a pretty incompetent artist to really believe that slathering on details automatically makes something good.

wildcard9:
So I guess this means we won't be getting a review of the new Dawn of War expansion...

I heard nothing of this?

Ironically enough, I thought art and illustrations for Darksiders was gorgeous, but I hate the look in-game. It makes him look like a fat WoW character.

Defitnely one of the best ZP's to date.

"He looks like a walking coral reef!"

I thought this review was funnier than the majority of his most recent ones. I actually had to pause a couple times so I wouldn't laugh through more of the review.

I love the ending there.

This one felt different from the rest... Good different though.

eeech I will hold my laughs for Mass Effect 2 and Bioschok 2 reviews.

After all those are sequins to some of his first vids.

Lots of rage and bile today... I love it!!
I was laughing so hard throughout this review, especially the part "I'M A MONSTER TRUCK WHO WALKS LIKE A MAN!"
That was awesome. Thanks... now I know not to buy Darksiders...

I can already guess his Bayonetta review.

"It's Japanese, so it's shit."

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or