Stolen Pixels #162: Rorschach Interview, Part 4

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Stolen Pixels #162: Rorschach Interview, Part 4

Can Metro save the day? Find out in the thrilling conclusion!

Read Full Article

Ha, if only everyone was a easy to trick as Rorschach...
Now I just need to find out who this Jay Leno person is...
Heh, another good comic strip.

Leno's just a talk show host. He's not that important.

Good strip, Shamus, but I'm on Team Belmont.

Well I'm on nobody team cause CoCo got fired. So I guess Team Coco vs The Chin battle is over. But Conan managed to clean NBC for 45 million dollars on the way out. So I guess he is the one laughing right now, considering NBC status.

Also yay for new Stolen Pixels.

I'm Team CoCo for the fact that he apparently made the most expensive joke in history just as a big 'fuck you' to NBC.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/110012124130/conan-obriens-crazy-expensive-bugatti-veyron-mouse

Truly, Jay Leno is the heartless opressant of late-night talkshows.

Haven't watched either in years. I think Conan's the better interviewer, while Jay's far better at standup. Since the most I'll watch is a monologue, I guess that makes me Team Jay. But I don't really are.

The thing is, NBC was enormously kind to O'Brien. Leno had neither the desire nor the need to leave The Tonight Show, yet they started pushing him out 5 years ago just to please Conan. Who then repaid the network with lousy ratings.

So although "Team CoCo" won the Twitter war, Jay pulls a much bigger audience. Which leads me to conclude that Jay fans are less likely to spend time on Twitter.

Huh. I guess I have to pull for Team Jay after all.

Nice ending

Hey, none of this is Leno's fault. He's just doing what he's told. I feel bad for Conan, though.

The only late night show I like is Craig Ferguson, so I'm immune to these "wars".

Amarsir:
The thing is, NBC was enormously kind to O'Brien. [..] Who then repaid the network with lousy ratings.

Placing all the blame on Conan is colossally unfair. Not only was Conan's lead-in worse than Leno's (being Leno, rather than ER), but he didn't even have a year to build his own following from what viewers were left after Leno's failure.

Leno was cancelled from prime-time precisely because he was delivering horrible ratings himself. Blaming Conan for that seems completely nonsensical.

I'm not from the US, and honestly I have never seen Conan. But I have seen a few Leno stand ups, and I found him funny, so I will go for Team Big Jaw.
By the way, I remember Conan telling Bart (Simpson) that he was the only one who could do the dance, so screw him....

Too bad they're both not funny at all. Maybe Rorschach can kill both of them.

I'm on team Conan, because I prefer his type of humor.

OH MY GOD...that's wrong.

im on Team Rorschach, since i dont watch any of that stuff

Team Breen.

Because he would be the best talk show host ever.

I'm on team who cares.
Because I don't really care.

But I do feel for ConanLeno.

If Leno wanted to leave, then let him leave, but don't take him back just because he changed his mind.

It seems that Leno got screwed over in the first place, and he's just trying to get his show back, so good luck to him I guess.

lol, I love the end of it, very topical! Made me chuckle for sure!

And for me, not been American dosnt effect me all that much to be honest. I sympathise with Conan and whats happened...but, at the end of it he has gotten a bumper payout so... /hurray!

Wait, Rorschach hates communists? What's up with that? Is that because he's supposed to be a Nazi of sorts, or what?

As for talk shows, i don't give a flying excrement about it. You see, i rarely even watch TV, and i'm on the other side of the world to boot.

I'm not really familiar with Jay Leno, but I even more enjoy Conan. So I'm siding with Team CoCo.

And as others have said it, in one way or another: Don't go changing your mind when the change is done. You'll end up paying huge compensations and then the Masturbating Bear happens.

krellen:
Placing all the blame on Conan is colossally unfair. Not only was Conan's lead-in worse than Leno's (being Leno, rather than ER), but he didn't even have a year to build his own following from what viewers were left after Leno's failure.

The Tonight Show lead-in is exactly the same as it always was, local news. ER hadn't been a ratings leader since the 90s and even if that's true it was only on once a week.

Conan took over the Tonight Show in June. Tonight Show ratings were already way down before Jay showed up in September. But please, tell me more about how fewer people watched Conan than Jay because Jay's so unfunny. Cuz it makes so much sense. Maybe Leno can blame his lead-ins too. Maybe a bad Simpsons rerun at 7pm just doomed the whole night.

Jay's not crushing at 10pm. That's a given. But no talk show succeeds at 10pm, so it was an impossible challenge for him. Had Conan maintained or grown the Tonight Show audience then I'd be all for kicking Jay and letting that be the end. But this claim that people won't watch a guy they like because someone they don't like came on an hour and a half earlier ... that's supposed to make sense?

Anibalbox:
I'm not from the US, and honestly I have never seen Conan. But I have seen a few Leno stand ups, and I found him funny, so I will go for Team Big Jaw.
By the way, I remember Conan telling Bart (Simpson) that he was the only one who could do the dance, so screw him....

I'm positively sure that Conan has all the rights to say that considering he was a main writer and producer of the show during it's best years. He wrote Marge vs The Monorail!

Irridium:
If Leno wanted to leave, then let him leave, but don't take him back just because he changed his mind.

He needs to learn to live with the concequences.

Leno never "wanted to leave." 6 years ago Conan's contract was up, and he basically said "I'm not sticking around for Late Night unless I know I'll get the Tonight Show". So they made a deal with him to take it over in 5 years. Jay loved doing the show, put a lot of effort in, and his ratings consistently beat Letterman. (By contrast, at the end if his hosting time Johnny Carson only did 4 shows a week and had frequent guest hosts fill in for him, including Leno.)

I vividly remember Jay's "retirement" announcement on the Tonight Show, and it was clear that he was sad but wanted to play along. And he was 100% welcoming to Conan every moment of those years. Even now Jay isn't maneuvering to oust Conan, he's just honest in that he still likes the gig.

Some people like Conan's humor better than Jay's. I can accept that. I already noted that I think he's a better interviewer. But they can't accept that their view is in the minority, and have to invent some theory to explain why the guy they like got worse ratings in the same spot. But don't believe that Jay "wanted to leave and changed his mind." It's completely unsupported by the facts.

Rorschacch Vs The Chrimson Chin... now there's something i'd pay to see...

Izzil:
I'm Team CoCo for the fact that he apparently made the most expensive joke in history just as a big 'fuck you' to NBC.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/110012124130/conan-obriens-crazy-expensive-bugatti-veyron-mouse

OK now I'm all about CoCo, I mean I liked him before but this tipped the scales.

Amarsir:
But this claim that people won't watch a guy they like because someone they don't like came on an hour and a half earlier ... that's supposed to make sense?

At late night, the issue is not "Do I watch this or that", like it is in prime-time. It's "Do I stay up or go to bed?"

A few people switched to Letterman instead of Conan's Tonight Show, yes (though Dave's affair scandal was during this period, which was largely responsible for his ratings boost) - but even more people opted for going to bed rather than staying up for the late night news cast, let alone the Tonight Show. Because Jay didn't keep them. That's what started this problem in the first place - local affiliates complaining that Jay's lead in was hurting their news broadcast ratings. If less people are staying up for the late night news, that translates directly to less people staying up for the Tonight Show.

Jay's poor performance already had cut into the Tonight Show ratings, and that needs to be accounted for before any blame for Conan's performance can be assessed.

Amarsir:
*snip*

Oh, well then my bad.
I haven't really been following it, so I only said what I thought was happening.

In that case I guess I should support Leno, since he seems to have been "given the shaft" so to speak.

Ah well, like I said, I don't really care one way or the other.

And Breen survives to antagonize another talk-show guest.

I don't give a flying crap about either Conan or Leno. Although I do appreciate Conan's humour better (he's a pretty good comedy writer)

i cant really watch either show since hulu and netflix doesn't work outside the states, but judging from the few clips I've 'stumbled upon' over the years I'll say I'm with coco since he had been overall amusing and leno (or jeno, i already forgot) seemed boring.

i must say I'm disappointed with the conclusion, since I'm fairly often online i have heard plenty of the case but it still seems like the punchline here is reserved for the yankees.

The last panel is funny on so many levels. The ones with Breen are always great (I always read his lines with Brian Doyle-Murray's voice).

As far as the Leno/Conan thing goes -- I don't care either way, really, but Leno should have just hung it up when he said he was going to.

Kollega:
Wait, Rorschach hates communists? What's up with that? Is that because he's supposed to be a Nazi of sorts, or what?

Rorshach follows that strain of American reactionaries who distrust anyone tolerant or educated on principle. "All those liberals and intellectuals and smooth talkers, and all of a sudden nobody can think of anything to say."

I'm with Team CoCo, but that's obvious since I'm Finnish:

Pssh, who watched the tonight show anyways when you have the DAILY SHOW....

Meh. These four comics wouldn't be bad if they were just one, considerably longer comic, but now the concentration of jokes is a bit too low for me.

Onyx Oblivion:

The only late night show I like is Craig Ferguson, so I'm immune to these "wars".

Oh, that little Scottish man is the only one that can actually make me laugh.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here