Escape to the Movies: Legion

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

randommaster:

DanHibiki:
BTW, Neon Genesis has nothing to do with Christianity. They used the names because they thought they sounded cool and non of the people involved were Christin and has third hand knowledge of Christianity at best.

What do you mean it's not symbolic?

If MB is going to invoke tvtropes, then so will I.

There's also exploiting religious source material for profit. Anno has admitted that the Christan elements sounded interesting, thus admiring he was exploiting it for all it was worth. Besides, he was just as if not more fucked up than his own characters. Depression is one thing, but making such a controversial series then saying "Fuck You!" to the fans by viciously disembowling and slaughtering the characters in End of Evangellion and then not even giving us a straight ending?

There's always a deeper pit in hell reserved for the next guy, Anno. Rest assured, there's a spaced in the ninth circle reserved especially for you.

When you said Michael, my mind went straight to 1996 with John Travolta.

You didn't like Spawn?

Shit...

I'm with Coco too. Gonna record his last show tonight. Then never watch NBC again.

i really DO NOT want to see this movie. it looks incredibly lame

At about 2:12 it sounds like Bob got way more calm for some reason. Then at 3:38 went back to a bit more uh un-calm?

Bob... great point on the Goth chicks... gotta love a hot goth chick!

This movie looked terrible and appearantly it is... wont be seeing this ever... hopefully.

To all of those that had calm, thoughtful feedback:
I salute you!

RandV80:
Am I the only one that noticed this movie is saying God is pro-choice? I mean the 'Angels' are trying to kill a pregnant women before she gives birth. They're not doing it before she gets pregnant, and once the baby is born apparently it's too late for them. So in other words, they've been sent to perform an abortion, and God's cool with that.

Just thought it was kind of funny!

This made my day!!!

laryri:
I would watch winged babies causing the Apocalypse.

So would I. The very idea sounds like it would be hilarious.

Edit: I only heard of the pro-choice subtext within the movie once you brought it up but it is kind amusing since it seems like the majority of fundamentalist christians in america are Pro-life. Heaps of controversey is probably going to ensue when this is released and more people find out about it.

AGGGGGGHH! NO! Why did you invoke TV tropes! Must.... resist....Distraction.

Why do people feel bad for good actors who are in a crappy movie? I don't feel bad for them at all. They agreed to do it, plus they're making more from it than I'll ever see in my life. If their reputation gets trashed from it, it's their fault, not anyone else's.

I knew this movie would suck a crapsicle the moment I saw a trailer for it. Not that surprising.

You know what pisses me off about this movie the most: I was really hoping that it actually would involve the entity Jesus encountered in Gerasa.

Why? Because it would be interesting to see a mass of demonic souls fused together, trapped on Earth for all eternity, living with the knowledge that they pretty much went on record as being the biggest wusses in the demonic hierarchy.

What did they do when Jesus showed up?

Did they curse at him? Did they make scary noises? Did they even offer a token defense (even though they knew that they were going to get stomped by J.C.?)

Nope. This demonic mass encased in one human body begged like a punk to get sent into a bunch of pigs....which it then used to run headlong into a river in order to get away from Jesus.

Now that's a story idea: The demon Legion is now a drunk vagrant who has to hide from their own kin who are now trying to take them out simply to hide the Infernal army's shame at that embarrassing incident, and causing immense collateral damage along the way.

It be kind of like "The Running Man"....as seen by John Constantine.

normally I agree with you, but with this movie, nobody was looking for a fucking extensive in depth plot (at least I wasn't). They were looking for Bettany being a badass, as per usual, and he fucking delivered thus the movie kicks ass.

Also I don't like your derogative use of Bill and Ted, they kick ass and thus you can suck my cock.

p.s. I'm fucking wasted right now.......................................see you next time (ad naseum)

The cherub idea, I'd watch that. No doubt. Though they'd have flaming swords rather than guns. And the other angel types would be neat too...6 winged beings so radiant with reflected glory when they orbit God that even other angels are forced to avert their eyes? Sweet.

http://www.catholic.org/saints/anglchoi.php Far from the best, but interesting all the same.

FFKonoko:
The cherub idea, I'd watch that. No doubt. Though they'd have flaming swords rather than guns. And the other angel types would be neat too...6 winged beings so radiant with reflected glory when they orbit God that even other angels are forced to avert their eyes? Sweet.

http://www.catholic.org/saints/anglchoi.php Far from the best, but interesting all the same.

Aren't cherubs supposed to outrank angels anyway? And aren't there cherubs that are depicted as just heads with wings, which are supposed to outrank full baby-cherubs?

Anyway, I just hate pop-culture folk. If you're going to take from mythology to create your story, you should do it at Neil-Gaimanish levels at the very least.

Which is why I typically hated Supernatural until it became so self-aware that you just had to give it to them that they knew the premise of the show was ridiculously stupid to begin with.

Hey, anyone else notice the significance behind the weapon Gabriel wields? It's a big spiked mace, also known as a Morning Star. Now who in the Bible goes by that name? Why its our old friend Lucifer, the Bearer of Light, later known as Satan the Adversary. Do you think they were trying to draw comparisons between Gabriel and Satan? Perhaps suggest they are the same person (for all he rebelled against God Satan sure didn't seem to mind doing his bidding. Job for example)? Could the writers have put some actual *Gasp* thought into things that got lost in the schlokk?

I thought you had personal issues creeping into your Eli review (Catholic School would explain that). But you're right on here, this is a flimsy excuse for an insipid movie.

[shudders]

Urgh, blasphemy, can't stand films that do it, even watching the review was hard to stomach (a criticism of the film more than a criticism of Bob). Needless to say I'll be giving the film a wiiiiddddeeeee berth.

Finally, someone else saw the premise of that movie and the giant neon sign reading "The Prophecy" went off.

Not going to beat Walken on this, so don't even try.

My heart goes out to all you poor folks who had to suffer through Catholic school.

good review and i can't say i'm going to see Legion because i can't make it past the 15 second trailer without thoroughly making fun of it and laughing at the same time, but...ouch that was totally uncalled for, not legion or any of that slander. No im talking about the slight, insignificant badmouthing on spawn, ok the movie wasn't great (just like every other comic movie except punisher *basass) but come on! The comics were imaginative and well written and well...badass. Sure its not the first one to look at the whole heaven vs hell thing, but its the first to take the story from hell's perspective and angels seem more the big bullies at the playground/assholes than Gods hitman groupies. Oh and the animated show was a masterpiece of cinamatic gore and glory. So keep up the good work on the reviews. Someone has to help the public discern movies as good or bad especially a guy who knows movie culture more than Micheal Bay knows how to spend several million dollars to cause seizures across the nation. Just defending what i love; HEIL SPAWN!

Hold on....Spawn is bad?

not too shabby thanks for the heads up :)

inidently, there was a movie where cutsey little angels were killing things...it was called hellboy 2 ;) :P

I knew this movie would suck BUT thanks to Bob; I now know how much it sucks!

I'm kinda sad to hear this, because I was expecting great things from this movie. I'm still gonna see it, but I guess I'll have to dial back my expectations a bit.

"BTW, Neon Genesis has nothing to do with Christianity. They used the names because they thought they sounded cool and non of the people involved were Christin and has third hand knowledge of Christianity at best."

If nothing else, the horrible mindboggling monstrosities they call "angels" in Evangelion are a much more appropriate representation of what people assumed angels actually looked like up until just before the 20th century when the idea of "humans with wings" started taking hold in popular culture more than it did in the actual bible. At most only the absolute lowest ranks of angels actually looked like that according to christian and angelologic interpretation(I.E. inhuman monstrosities that put the C'thulhu Mythos to shame).

Knew it was going to be shit. Thanks for the confirmation :D

protecting the unborn child actually reminds me of the first Terminator

Actually, you know what would be good for a take on angels? How they actually appeared in the Bible. No cherubs, no mace-wielding badasses, think a disk covered in mouths with six wings. That would be interesting.

LordVyreth:
In terms of interesting angel types, what I'd really like to see is not generic muscly winged dudes or cute baby cherubs with assault rifles, but the old-school angel types done right. You know, angels that are just big wheels of fire and eyes, or four-faced monstrosities. Not that this is any more original an interpretation than "angels are God's black ops" is, but at least this one hasn't been done with a decent budget yet.

I hope you've played Bayonetta. If you haven't, do so. You'll love it just for the angel renditions.

I'm still going to see this to make fun of it.

So I just got back from seeing and I was left with more questions than answers. The action in it kept my attention, but I was still waiting for the real plot. Or some sort of explanation. And I got nothing. So yeah, I agree with MB's review. It's just, ugh. That's all I can say. I left the movie with a sheer "What the f- just happened?" mood.

Drakengard true ending is about putto like angels bringing destruction to the world. That is the kind of madness that i like...

PlasticLion:

To all of those that had calm, thoughtful feedback:
I salute you!

What exactly are you making fun of? The people who criticized Bob, or Bob for using the mob picture?

Seriously, there were people with actual arguments in that thread. Bob's use of a mob photo seems rather childish, considering that a lot of the people had similar points on why they thought that his review was flawed. It wasn't just a bunch of religious people getting their knickers in a twist over nothing.

I certainly hope that jab at those types of comics is not directed at the Sandman series.

On another note, is anyone seriously surprised that this movie is bad? If you are, have you recently suffered from severe head trauma? I suspect a positive correlation.

scotth266:

What exactly are you making fun of? The people who criticized Bob, or Bob for using the mob picture?

Seriously, there were people with actual arguments in that thread. Bob's use of a mob photo seems rather childish, considering that a lot of the people had similar points on why they thought that his review was flawed. It wasn't just a bunch of religious people getting their knickers in a twist over nothing.

Um . . . I wasn't making fun of anything. I'm not really sure why you think that. I was one of those people with actual arguments.

I'm pretty sure the picture was taken from Frankenstein. In the picture everyone wants to destroy the monster and that is an inaccurate depiction of the thread.

So I doodled on it. Now it's more accurate. Now it has one person trying to actually debate something. And he's very frustrated because people around him are screaming "bigot" and "idiot."

A picture paints a thousand zero words.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or