Escape to the Movies: Legion

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

PlasticLion:

scotth266:

snip

Um . . . I wasn't making fun of anything. I'm not really sure why you think that. I was one of those people with actual arguments.

I'm pretty sure the picture was taken from Frankenstein. In the picture everyone wants to destroy the monster and that is an inaccurate depiction of the thread.

So I doodled on it. Now it's more accurate. Now it has one person trying to actually debate something. And he's very frustrated because people around him are screaming "bigot" and "idiot."

A picture tells a thousand zero words.

Actually I count ten (haughty laugh).

Well legion was actually bad, very bad, in fact it would be very hard to find someone for this to appeal to. The action is stale, the characters are bland, the story is a mess of biblical references(all used out-of-context) or action cliches, and the premise is crap. Bob has every right to throw this and the kitchen sink at this film.

However the Book of Eli was fundamentally a good film, but was somehow ignored because the actual plot seemed opposed to some basic view he has (be it pretense of religion, or unprecedented aversion to the plot archetype). His reaction was out of line, but then again he is a reviewer and his opinion was what I watched these videos for in the first place.

So the real question is, should I honestly value Bob's opinion as a professional, or simply as a normal guy? His actions displayed during and after the review shows no favor to him, but unless this ametuer-like behavior becomes the norm, I don't see myself not watching his work, but I certainly will not be asking for his advice on any philosophical questions, or for pointers on how to appear unbiased.

In closing, please gaze upon these two things

MovieBob:

"Tank Girl" is a better movie than "Eli,"

http://tiny.cc/jeYXf

wildcard9:

randommaster:

DanHibiki:
BTW, Neon Genesis has nothing to do with Christianity. They used the names because they thought they sounded cool and non of the people involved were Christin and has third hand knowledge of Christianity at best.

What do you mean it's not symbolic?

If MB is going to invoke tvtropes, then so will I.

There's also exploiting religious source material for profit. Anno has admitted that the Christan elements sounded interesting, thus admiring he was exploiting it for all it was worth. Besides, he was just as if not more fucked up than his own characters. Depression is one thing, but making such a controversial series then saying "Fuck You!" to the fans by viciously disembowling and slaughtering the characters in End of Evangellion and then not even giving us a straight ending?

There's always a deeper pit in hell reserved for the next guy, Anno. Rest assured, there's a spaced in the ninth circle reserved especially for you.

You should click on that link. I think you'll find it interesting.

My mom keeps an entire collection of baby angel figures. All I need are little toy submachine-guns and to capture them on film to make a movie.

At 3:27 - that "spider-man" has been one of the most (unintentionally) funny things I have seen in a long time.

Seeing sweet little cherub-faced angels darting about with submachine guns would probably make for a better movie. There's something about beating up the ocassionaly cherubic looking (at least as far as their faces go) enemies in Bayonetta that makes it more entertaining than if the angels were all tough and scary looking.

4:17
Well, Bayonetta is the closest it gets to that wish, MovieBob

GO, COCO!!!!!!

Need we forget the movie shamelessly gives away several plot points, maybe not crucial, but watching one of any of the trailers gives away that the ice cream guy's a zombie, the old lady's a zombie and some random little kid's a zombie. This movie's got so many things working against it already, it's like they dare you not to see it, giving away crap like that. What could've been three of the only memorable scene of the movie, for all I know, are given away in the fucking trailer, then a later trailer bold-facedly tells you the entire story, recapped in under a minute, giving me no confidence in the film, or motivation to see the movie for any reason beyond seeing the actual ending.

laryri:
I would watch winged babies causing the Apocalypse.

here's the title
"Cherub Chaos: End of All Things Cute"

i bet Pit would sue for copyrights though, or at least royalties

Great review, but c'mon! Why critique something we all know is going to be bad XD?

The violent religion-based comic trend also gave us Preacher, so I don't want to hear anything bad about it.

Amen

Its just a fact that anything made in japan is 10X more awesome than if it were made in anywhere else.. That or its a freaking crazy as no other than other place.. + everyone knows Japs are the only ones who can pilot Gundams so when the day comes of total war between giant robots the Japs will win!

ccesarano:

- Isn't Lucifer (Satan) supposed to be the one wanting to wipe people out? What's he doing in all this? Is he laughing his ass off screaming "YOU SEE?! I WAS RIGHT ABOUT THEM ALL ALONG!" or something?

Even as an agnostic person who absolutely hate Christianity with a passion, you sir made me lol harder then I had in years. Seriously, how can you fuck up who hates humanity? Also, the end is with four horsemen! Not an army of angels... oi... Also like others have stated, an army of angels is over kill if you simply want to destroy earth, one, maybe two if the first was lazy, would suffice.

I'm sorry, but just how the f**k was Spawn bad?!?

MasterSplinter:
Great review, about "flying cute angel babies tearing people apart with their bear hands" there has been some chapters (the latests) on the Gantz manga where that actually happens, they are really statues of angel babies and there are some other cool statues too (it was set in rome), but it was badass.

See for yourself:
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo24/SplinterAFG/GPGantz_ch292_p20.jpg

Thank you sir, that was awesome.

And thank you bob, for yet another good review that will prevent me from viewing bad movies.

Pretty much what I expected here. And I loved the Conan shout out.

i went to book of eli with my cousin and uncle, and my cousin wanted to see this movie after that sense the theater was playing it 10 minutes after book of eli. i had just watched your review before i came to the theater, and i said i didnt want to see it. my cousin stuck around and watched while me and my uncle went home. i talked to my cousin today, and asked him how it was. he sad it was one of the worst movies hes seen in a long time. thank you moviebob, you saved my 10 bucks. however, your review of the book of eli was way to harsh. its not gonna be on my top ten favorite films like district 9 or avatar, but it was pretty damn good overall. i can understand why people wouldnt like it though, but the only real problem i had with it was the fact that they never really said what caused the apocalypse in the first place. but the twist ending fucking rocked.

Well, I'll be adding $2 to it's worldwide box-office totals when it comes to my local cheap theater. There's really nothing more I can say.

PhiMed:

THOU SHALT NOT QUESTION THE WALKEN!!

I'm greenlighting the little baby cherub apocalypse movie! ...it'd have to be done on a $23 budget 'cause that's all I have on me right now.

HyenaThePirate:

Also, up until now, I was of the opinion that Dennis Quaid was impervious to making a bad film.

I think you mean bad performance. He's been in a lot of crap but he's always solid and rises to the top. (don't think too much about that one.)

Also I can't wait for the Wolfman review, judging by the Ads today. I'm a little annoyed that moviebob doesn't get to choose his movies, because he's better when he talks about a movie he likes. I suppose I'm looking for the inverse of what a movie critic does.

This movie looked terrible from the first commercial. It made no sense whatsoever in the story and it force molded bible verses into place like an Iranian Mullah twists the Koran.

The book of Eli was not even on the same planet as Legion. Thats like comparing the first Willy Wonka with Gene Wilder to "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" with Jim Carry because they were both made for children. Its not even close to fair for a comparison.

zaengo:
i went to book of eli with my cousin and uncle, and my cousin wanted to see this movie after that sense the theater was playing it 10 minutes after book of eli. i had just watched your review before i came to the theater, and i said i didnt want to see it. my cousin stuck around and watched while me and my uncle went home. i talked to my cousin today, and asked him how it was. he sad it was one of the worst movies hes seen in a long time. thank you moviebob, you saved my 10 bucks. however, your review of the book of eli was way to harsh. its not gonna be on my top ten favorite films like district 9 or avatar, but it was pretty damn good overall. i can understand why people wouldnt like it though, but the only real problem i had with it was the fact that they never really said what caused the apocalypse in the first place. but the twist ending fucking rocked.

The Book of Eli did something M Knight Shamalammala could never do, pull off a proper twist. I thought the Book of Eli rocked.

Mandalore_15:

It had a religious undertone (Christian) and therefore is bad in the eyes of bob

Namewithheld:

SteveBurger:
Not that I'm questioning his acting skill in particular, but has Dennis Quaid ever been in a good movie? I can't think of one he's been in that I found myself remotely interested in...

{fpfpafhafioasn!

ENEMY MINE!?

Only one of the best Sci-fi movies EVER!?

I watched that movie again recently. It was cheesier than I remembered (as far as special effects and such) but the story is well told and interesting. I still enjoyed it a lot. My wife? I think she liked it pretty well, though she'd never seen it as a kid.

inpachi:
Its just a fact that anything made in japan is 10X more awesome than if it were made in anywhere else.. That or its a freaking crazy as no other than other place.. + everyone knows Japs are the only ones who can pilot Gundams so when the day comes of total war between giant robots the Japs will win!

Have you seen gundam 00? the main character is a freakin middle eastern kid! what do you mean only japs can pilot gundams? they're just the best at it.
OT: I just saw the movie and two things bothered. 1)The fuck is lucifer in all this shit? and 2) how did they fail so terribly?
MB said it wasn't so bad it was good, but I disagree. it was so bad, it turned into a romantic comedy.

Won't watch it.

Question: Does anyone in the movie say: "My name is Legion, for I am many"?

JWAN:

zaengo:

The Book of Eli did something M Knight Shamalammala could never do, pull off a proper twist. I thought the Book of Eli rocked.

yeah, i liked it. and you are correct on your stance on m knight shammamalablahbloobah, i hate that guy. i only like one of his movies (the 6th sense) and that was because of the twist ending. and after youve seen it once, it loses its charm and the movie sucks again. and now hes gonna ruin avatar the last airbender. avatar ruining sum bitch.

Mandalore_15:

i would say since issue 1.

nightwolf667:
Angels aren't God's black ops team.....
EDIT: And am I the only one tired of that stupid bible quote "I am Legion, for we are many" getting quoted in places where it either doesn't belong or makes no sense

I thought I'd quote this as part of the point I am going to make. Firstly, when people make films/books/TV programmes/write poems about regilious cannon or mythology they should do their homework. Seriously though, why does Chirstianity have to be the exception to this rule.
Take the "I am Legion, for we are many" thing. If it is that miss-quoted all the time that surely is proof that somewhere down the line someone didn't take the time to look up the quote in context which was when Jesus cast out a legion of demons from a man, they went into a heard of pigs and the pigs drowned themselves in lake Galiliee.

To have the narrow view of angels somehow being 'God's black ops team' is actually quite amusing really. The 'angel of death' appears in the old testiment during passover killing the first born sons of the Egyptians, but there's more to it than that. Good grief, it's like looking at the whole Vampire myth and picking up on the rediculous accent that Dracula is always given and nothing else (yes, I realise that's a hyperbolous example).

And yes, before anyone asks, I am a Christian. I frankly can't be offended by this film as a debasement of my believes as it's so far from what Christians believe in. It would be like an astrophysist being offended by Warp drives in Star Trek. I am not going to watch it because it's not the kind of film that I enjoy, but it has nothing to do with my faith.

Oh, and one more thing, angels are never portrayed as cherabs either. Cherabin and Seraphin to my knowledge weren't cute little babies with wings. Have a look at this link to have a read about the different types of angels that are referenced in the bible:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_angelic_hierarchy#Seraphim

Nicely done Bob.
:)

Anyone know what movie or series that the picture just before Spawn comes from? I haven't seen it in this thread, or elsewhere on the boards and was curious about it.

I actually saw this movie a few days ago. Normally I like bad movies, and goodness have I seen my share of them. This movie... was... mostly just boring. There was way too much talking and for all the dialog being thrown at us the vast majority of it was pointless babble. This movie did nothing new, reused just about every other idea in the last twenty years and didn't even do so very well. I can forgive less than stellar CGI but all in all it was just... a snoozefest.

JWAN:

Mandalore_15:

It had a religious undertone (Christian) and therefore is bad in the eyes of bob

Spawn had plenty wrong with it and doubtfully Bob's issues with it had little to do with its (weak) religious under or overtones. You're just yet another religious or religiously sensitive person who can't even accept that some people don't buy into the whole faith thing so you get butt-hurt over the silliest things.

Sakon:

JWAN:

Mandalore_15:

Spawn had plenty wrong with it and doubtfully Bob's issues with it had little to do with its (weak) religious under or overtones. You're just yet another religious or religiously sensitive person who can't even accept that some people don't buy into the whole faith thing so you get butt-hurt over the silliest things.

My religion is important to me and you don't have to bash things you don't believe in. I don't see you people bashing Islam or Buddhism its always Christianity.
By you people I mean cowards who pick fights over the internet.

Tharticus:
After watching the trailer for this movie, I knew it that it's gonna be bad. As long as guns and violence is in place, people will watch it irregardless if it's related to religion or not.

Why even bother making this movie, 'Dogma' covered the material better. They should have just added more guns to the angel scene in Dogma.

I'm just so thrilled at the Evangelion shout out. WOOOOOTTTT!
The mechs were one third the awesome!
Live action movie in the works, WETA used their assets for those aweful Transformers disasters. I really want to see them butcher the single greatest anime of all time.[don't worry Akira and Cowboy bebop are also slated for butchering ]:(- ]

Spawn was terrible, now that rewatch it. But MovieBob is clearly anti-religion. I now take his reviews of films with overtones with a grain of salt, I recommend you do the same.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here