Review: Mass Effect 2

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Review: Mass Effect 2

Want to save the universe? Hope you're ready to get your hands dirty.

Read Full Article

Sounds good. But they toned down the RPG part of combat it seems. And the combat was already RPG Lite to begin with. Now it sounds like just a shooter.

Will I miss too much by having ignored the really boring side quests of ME1 for my ME1 transfer data?

Noooo...i just bought STO! dont have time for this and that!...

Guess ill just have to wait till its $30 like the last game ._.

Sounds good, i really can't wait much longer for this game! :D
and yeah the video doesn't work : /

Onyx Oblivion:
Sounds good. But they toned down the RPG a ton it seems. And the combat was already RPG Lite to begin with.

Will I miss too much by having ignored the really boring side quests of ME1 for my ME1 transfer data?

I wouldn't say they toned down the RPG a lot at all. ME2 is virtually identical to ME in that regard - though I will say that stat allocation has been tweaked slightly. As for whether you missed too much by skipping side quests...overall, I'd say no. You'll perhaps miss maybe a reference or two, but if you played the majority of the game, you're good.

Video does not work, and I hope the game is as good as you described.

Connor Lonske:
Video does not work, and I hope the game is as good as you described.

Same here, the video died. Very much looking forward to the game, which should be in my mailbox any day now.

Susan Arendt:

Onyx Oblivion:
Sounds good. But they toned down the RPG a ton it seems. And the combat was already RPG Lite to begin with.

I wouldn't say they toned down the RPG a lot at all. ME2 is virtually identical to ME in that regard - though I will say that stat allocation has been tweaked slightly. As for whether you missed too much by skipping side quests...overall, I'd say no. You'll perhaps miss maybe a reference or two, but if you played the majority of the game, you're good.

I played the first 3 times. Well, kinda. I beat it once, got up to the end two more times. Then the side questing made me give up. Well, then. *back to ME 1* To finish up the main plot.

is it me or does the paragon/renegade conversation option sound liek a boiled down QTE? Sounds great but I cant get the vid to work either

Onyx Oblivion:

Susan Arendt:

Onyx Oblivion:

I played the first 3 times. Well, kinda. I beat it once, got up to the end two more times. Then the side questing made me give up. Well, then. *back to ME 1* To finish up the main plot.

Then I'd say you're good. :D's

And it is kind of like a QTE, but it's optional and actually quite cool.

preordered, baby yeah!

Ok, guys, try the video now.

Way to make me want to buy a game I promised myself I couldn't have until I finish the ones I got. Must...stay away...from.......shops....

Susan Arendt:

It's working.

Getting it in 4 hours! :D

Hey wait a minute... Boo was a space hamster! The universes are linked!

Susan Arendt:

It's alive! Thanks for the quick fix!

Actually a good review. Mail people screwed up and gave me my copy yesterday already, so I've already got 9 hours clocked and planning on adding way more after tonight. I love the game, save for the mining of course, and feel as if it adds to the legacy they've began to create

3... more... days... *Rocks back and forth in the corner*

Damn you lucky North Americans! This is torture... TORTURE I SAY!

Star Trek Online needs space hamsters.

Or do Tribbles count?

How many spoilers do you think we'll see on the forums?

Which version of the game is this? The PC one? Are there any differences between them.

Good review, but this was a guaranteed buy for me any ways.

So what part of the review had spoilers? The whole thing was rather clean.

O_O I. Want. Space. Hamster. NOW.

Onyx Oblivion:
How many spoilers do you think we'll see on the forums?

Every single one.

Times 10.

My word, Ms. Arendt! You certainly were on the ball with this one. I mean, it came out...three hours from now?

...I'm confused.

Norman. Name the space hamster Norman.

JaredXE:
So what part of the review had spoilers? The whole thing was rather clean.

Some of the footage we shot had certain characters in it that could be considered spoilers, but I don't think we actually ended up using any of that. I recorded the warning just in case. But I think it's all good.

GRR! I'M SOOO MACHOOOOO! I LOVE GRIMDAKRRRR! BLOOD, VIOLENCE, AND TITS, RAAAAGH!

If that's the additude this game contains, i may just reconsider my descision to acquire it in any way whatsoever. If shooting innocent people in the face is a Paragon way now (as opposed to being Renegade and torturing them to death) - and i get the feeling it's precisely like that - then no. Thank you very much. If that is really the case, then even improved combat, pitch-perfect writing, brilliant characterization, and space hamster will not redeem Mass Effect 2 in my eyes.

"Empire Strikes Back" my ass. [1]

[1] Useful note: it's a figure of speech. Be merciful, don't actually "Empire Strikes Back" my ass - please.

Kollega:
GRR! I'M SOOO MACHOOOOO! I LOVE GRIMDAKRRRR! BLOOD, VIOLENCE, AND TITS, RAAAAGH!

If that's the additude this game contains, i may just reconsider my descision to acquire it in any way. If shooting innocent people in the face is a Paragon way now (as opposed to being Renegade and torturing them to death) - and i get the feeling it's precisely like that - then no. Thank you very much. If that is really the case, then even improved combat, pitch-perfect writing, brilliant characterization, and space hamster will not redeem Mass Effect 2 in my eyes.

"Empire Strikes Back" my ass.

Very much not like that, actually. Yes, you're going to have to shed a lot of blood, but that doesn't mean you're just spewing hate all over the place. Trust me, my Paragon Shepard is still a beacon of hope and positivity. You're not "shooting innocent people in the face," but you are going to have to make some hard choices.

BlueInkAlchemist:
Star Trek Online needs space hamsters.

Or do Tribbles count?

Yes.....yes they do...

And I think you should name him Wiggles.

Looks like an awesome game! Too bad about the mining mini-game crap. Oh well, nothing is perfect!

Damnnit Susan! How am I meant to wait until Friday now?! Urgh, it's just to so far away.

loremazd:
Hey wait a minute... Boo was a space hamster! The universes are linked!

I was going to say, a space hamster in a Bioware game, two things are then true:

1) He must be named Boo

2) He will be trained to GO FOR THE EYES!

All kidding aside though, knowing this I will do everything I can to make my Shepard look like Minsc. I miss the oaf.

Steampunk Viking:
3... more... days... *Rocks back and forth in the corner*

Damn you lucky North Americans! This is torture... TORTURE I SAY!

Five for days for me and I AM an American. (Fucking Shipping!)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here