Darksiders

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Oh my word, when you made this complaint in your review I thought 'this is a little petty' but when I saw that picture I practically spewed my drink all over my computer!!!

Gah, the War description is tl;dr, and the picture just made me think 'wtf?' Character design should be unique, simplistic, and powerful. He wouldn't stand out from any other minion in a generic fantasy game.

Personally, my favourite character design has to be Altair. All that white, and then the strokes of brown leather, and finally, a splash of blood-red.

Epic. :')

I also looked up ancient tattoo methods. Dear God, my eyes watered reading about it. :/

War... What can we say.. most of you have hit him right on the head with stolen identities... Here's another one for you... War is basicly taken from two characters in my opinion, From Devil May Cry, I'd like to present NERO!!!! They stole his sword and gun... and its lovely Demonic Opponents. And for the second Part From The most addicting drug in the world... World of Warcraft presents LICH KING AKA ARTHAS. If you don't see it yet.. If Nero and Arthas had a love child... that child would be War...

One minor complaint: you got some of the directions mixed up when you were describing War. For instance, you said that his massive hand is on his right arm, when it is actually on his left.

Otherwise, great. Sometimes, there's something to be said for subtlety.

Am I the only 1 who thinks he fell straight out of a WoW raid?

I recently registered a Twitter account, partly out of confusion.

What?

It's not true, right?

Scrythe:
I love how we all collectively write off comics as silly and strange, and yet pour hours of brainwork trying to shovel funny things like "logic" and "reason" into a god damned video game. I guess suspension of disbelief is not allowed in fairytale video games.

We've come a long way from imagining two dots and a line to be two people playing tennis to arguing about whether or not a polygon can physically lift another polygon. I mean, Darksiders doesn't promise historical accuracy or "realism" like, say the Call of Duty series or something...

You really didn't read the article did you? Yahtzee's not talking about design strictly from a artistic or logic standpoint, he's talking about how "War" is poorly designed for a video game. "War" isn't that recognizable (iconic), difficult to distinguish from other characters or the background in the game and was probably hell to animate.

JediMB:
Yeah, at least half the "little details" on War could really stand being taken off of him. And I thought WoW's armor sets suffered from overdesign.

Puh-leez, War could make a level 80 priest look amish

1)The style of the whole game is supposed to be over the top and unrealistic

2)I was too busy having fun and looking at the amazing world to really notice anyway.

3)yeah I might have made a few minor changes but overall I think they made a good dipiction of how a horseman of war would look.

You're all over thinking this, Benny included.
What the character is called doesn't matter. He looks exactly like what a high level human warrior probably should look like in WoW (if WoW had good graphics), and they calle him War so they could have a back story, but in reality he could as easily be called Steeve, the Demonslayer.

There is zero reason why the four horsemen of the apocalypse should be even remotely humanoid, and even if they were, there is zero reason for War to have a bunch of armor (it's not like they're going to die, specially Death).
If War was to have a form, personally I like the smoking hot redhead from Good Omens a lot.

Jonesy911:
I like Cloud Strife's clothes from Final Fantasy 7 for the reason that they make sense. It's a SOLDIER uniform which indicates his past but it is also modified which shows he is no longer a member. His uniform is very recognizable due to it's purple colour and the make shift armour he wears shows how he doesn't have lots of money since he left soldier

His sword on the other hand...

well, his buster sword is actually standard issue SOLDIER First Class swords.

When you encounter other First Class SOLDIERS, they also have oversized swords.

ark123:
There is zero reason why the four horsemen of the apocalypse should be even remotely humanoid...

Well, they're called horse"men". They're traditionally depicted in human form, aren't they?

ark123:
...and even if they were, there is zero reason for War to have a bunch of armor (it's not like they're going to die, specially Death).

But armor is an icon of war. That said, War's armor is ugly and silly. It should more sugest the idea of war, of violence given and received. As it is, he looks like a pompous ass with all that nonsense.

I'll agree that the other horsemen have no reason to be armored, but I haven't seen their designs, and that is getting a little tangential.

Beardly:
Something that bothered me a bit that wasn't mentioned was the fact that War wears the hood of his cloak over his head. I think a better fit for the personification of war would be a helmet. Its not like his face is so expressive that they wanted to show it off. They could have given him a helmet with angry eyebrows drawn on and it would've had the same effect.

I think Assassins creed is the blame for that. Wearing a hood in those games made the players feel badass in those games.. I think they wanted to copy that for War's design... Too bad it backfired LOL

Leave the hoods to those who don't wear 600 pounds of armor on their body... It just looks silly when those two aspects are combined!

orangeapples:

Jonesy911:
I like Cloud Strife's clothes from Final Fantasy 7 for the reason that they make sense. It's a SOLDIER uniform which indicates his past but it is also modified which shows he is no longer a member. His uniform is very recognizable due to it's purple colour and the make shift armour he wears shows how he doesn't have lots of money since he left soldier

Doesn't change the fact that it looks stupid and inconvenient.

Honestly, the design really does look like something a yeti threw up and bashed his head against. There's a difference between creativity and sheer stupidity.

Telekinesis:

orangeapples:
[quote="Jonesy911" post="6.171120.4701981"]I like Cloud Strife's clothes from Final Fantasy 7 for the reason that they make sense. It's a SOLDIER uniform which indicates his past but it is also modified which shows he is no longer a member. His uniform is very recognizable due to it's purple colour and the make shift armour he wears shows how he doesn't have lots of money since he left soldier

Doesn't change the fact that it looks stupid and inconvenient.

And to you good sir, most things in the FF world are stupid and inconvenient.

I do like to think as Sephiroth as a bumble bee.

orangeapples:

Jonesy911:

According to Crisis Core; Cloud's buster sword was custom made for Zack's master, Angeal

Also, I only know of 4 soldier first classes, Sephiroth, Genesis, Angeal & Zack and only 1 of them used a buster sword (until Angeal gave his to Zack)

MrSpider:

Scrythe:
I love how we all collectively write off comics as silly and strange, and yet pour hours of brainwork trying to shovel funny things like "logic" and "reason" into a god damned video game. I guess suspension of disbelief is not allowed in fairytale video games.

We've come a long way from imagining two dots and a line to be two people playing tennis to arguing about whether or not a polygon can physically lift another polygon. I mean, Darksiders doesn't promise historical accuracy or "realism" like, say the Call of Duty series or something...

You really didn't read the article did you? Yahtzee's not talking about design strictly from a artistic or logic standpoint, he's talking about how "War" is poorly designed for a video game. "War" isn't that recognizable (iconic), difficult to distinguish from other characters or the background in the game and was probably hell to animate.

I know what Yahtzee was talking about.

But I wasn't talking about just Yahtzee.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/5/54/SOLDIER_1ST_FF7.jpg

I guess I was wrong, SOLDIER 1st CLASS units used lances.

Heh, I loved the end

I do not think War looks terrible, but his armor is very complicated.

Liking the praise for Team Fortress 2. gonna review it? Go on, *nudge nudge*. But be nice. its an awesome game remember

Zepren:
Liking the praise for Team Fortress 2. gonna review it? Go on, *nudge nudge*. But be nice. its an awesome game remember

already reviewed it. go check out the orange box review

And here was me thinking I was the only one who got perturbed about this kind of thing. Interesting. Any one else wonder why medieval plate mail always has one shoulder bigger than the other? Or is that some kind of functional thing I'm unaware of?

Zepren:

Er...he did. It's filed under "The Orange Box".

The Great JT:
By the look of things, Joe Madureira has been taking "art" lessons from Rob Liefeld.

Oh Snap!
Liefeld is the worst comic book artist to have ever been given a major comic book contract.

BehattedWanderer:
Any one else wonder why medieval plate mail always has one shoulder bigger than the other? Or is that some kind of functional thing I'm unaware of?

All I can think of is that it serves some kind of purpose with the wielding of a weapon. Maybe it helps with bows? A resting place for a Claymore? (see Demon's Souls for the stance that I'm referring to). I'm sure it's functional in some way.

Zanez:

Zepren:

already reviewed it. go check out the orange box review

oh snap, i totally forgot. fail on my behalf

Here's an example of good simple character design.

Twinsen from Little Big Adventure.

He's a guy in a giant ceremonial gown with a mystical medalion. What more do you need?
Also, nigga talks to animals and rides a fucking Dinosaur!

....I wish I knew a LBA fan... 8(

Zepren:
[quote="Zanez" post="6.171120.4707235"]Liefeld is the worst comic book artist to have ever been given a major comic book contract.

yet they keep giving him work..... *sigh*

War's outfit is a bit overdone and he doesn't need a sword that big but honestly you could probably attribute it to War being one of the Nephilim (back story). It should also be noted that only one of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse was ever truly mentioned and described: Death. The other 3 Horsemen got named probably around the medieval time period based on worries and actual problems that plagued the country-side.

Jonesy911:

lol he was pretty badass in Advent Children, new clothes and sword

but yeah he's my childhood fav

oh and Yahtzee's tweet about Forman's Mind =D love that series

Fronzel:

ark123:
There is zero reason why the four horsemen of the apocalypse should be even remotely humanoid...

Well, they're called horse"men". They're traditionally depicted in human form, aren't they?.

In the same way that God is. It's stupid though.

s69-5:

BehattedWanderer:
Any one else wonder why medieval plate mail always has one shoulder bigger than the other? Or is that some kind of functional thing I'm unaware of?

All I can think of is that it serves some kind of purpose with the wielding of a weapon. Maybe it helps with bows? A resting place for a Claymore? (see Demon's Souls for the stance that I'm referring to). I'm sure it's functional in some way.

I doubt it with the bows. Ever seen an archer in plate mail? It's a bit inhibitive of the dexterity needed to really utilize the weapon.

When I booted up the game, I thought War looked like some sort of WoW reject. Especially when you get the flaming horse. Also he does have a really tiny head, its like the equivelent of parking a Smart Car in between a fleet of Hummers

While a lot of people here seem to think that WH40k is the same, i dont think it is. The out of proportion space marine armor does actually have a reason for being that way. The crazy eyes and other improbable stuff on chaos armor does have a reason for being that way, they are mutations by the chaos gods. The large amount of skull decorations on khorne warriors are there for a reason. The human soldier uniforms are all about practicality. The dark elf spiky armour is not practical but is there to inflict terror, and it also serves to distinguish from other races. Its not fair to compare warhammer to this.
Its true that most of the stuff is there to just be "awesome" but its not a random mess of angry faces and huge swords slapped together on a huge body, there is actual design philosophy behind them.

Oh. My. God.
I'm not gonna lie here, War from Darksiders, from that pic looks like someone went apeshit with a male blood elf model, Arthas gear, some stuff not in the game, and a layer of some rogue's clothing all meshed together. If not WoW he looks like some other MMO character belonging to some guy who like most, care more about stats than what his character looks like and was forced to wear that crap. Other thoughts entail him looking alot like an assassin warrior robot with an absurdly large body and an apatite for creatine. If that's spelled right.

Now that I think about it though... if you took away the metal forearms and meaty hands that can't open doors, and the absurd amounts of gold trim and hood and hairdo, or just the hood, hairdo, and absurd amounts of gold trim, he might actually look alright. Maybe I can come to that conclusion because back when I used to play WoW I had a fire mage that looked attractive because after level 80 and a certain amount of dungeons, clothes start matching for some odd reason, then I had a male blood elf paladin in almost that exact same outfit at one point. Only thing is... he looked somewhat alright because of a certain shield and a manlier haircut... without looking like the guy that will become Left 4 Dead's tank when the infection comes.

I rambled. Now I forgot what I was originally gonna talk about. Oh, right, more rambling.
I guess I should be glad that Borderlands doesn't have outfits for this very reason. Besides, everyone knows the game's gun pron. Who cares about the people and how they dress?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here