Zero Punctuation: Bayonetta

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

I played the demo when it came out and the best I could gather of the story/metaphor is that; Sarah Palin has returned in order to fix America's crumbling economy, represented by the clock tower. The democrats, represented by the army of angels, of course are out to stop her, but it is her job break through them and take America one state at a time. I could be wrong about this though, but that's the closest I could work out based on the startlingly vague demo, still going to get it though. =D

Bravo, a particularly well-crafted episode. I especially enjoyed the Pac-man gag. You didn't hit the "Cunts&cocks"-bin as hard as, well, some of your worse episodes. Even genitals stop being funny after a while, and this game kind of demands a few, so it didn't feel saturated.

Craziness seems to spawn inspiration, and so I'll hold out hope for a No More Heroes 2-ZP.

Several laugh-out-loud moments (or maybe that's the sleep deprivation talking), best one in a while.

After playing the demo I found the gameplay over the top but in a god way...

...however the music really annoyed me, but made worse were all the critics went on to say how good it was while I found it sugary repetitive J-pop... something that plenty of gamers hate.

I really am surprised that he didn't say anything about the Sarah Palin look.

he'll probably do Mass Effect 2 next though, that or Army of Two 2 (maybe he'll make a joke about that? :P )

Diddy_King:

sephiroth1991:
Good epidode long legs indeed

I had doubts about this game from the demo and you have sold me to not get it.

How did he sell you not to get it? He did not say it was a bad game, heck by Yahtzee standards he said it was "good." You people need to stop taking Yahtzee's reviews as gospel, I love his Zero Punctuation series, but I can honestly say I have never said, "OH, YAHTZEE HATES THIS GAME, I SHALL AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE!!" IMO Yahtzee's reviews are more for the lulz than the actual review. Yeah, he knows what he's talking about, and yeah he makes some great points, but he often seems to pick the games faults apart piece by piece on purpose.

blasphemy !!!!!!!!

i don't take his reviews all that seriously but i had doubts about this game even when the teaser was shown, even if he said it was fantastic i probably not have gotten it. I didn't like DMC all that much and him saying it was like it with QTE didn't improve my opinion on it. Besides if i did listen to him i wouldn't of gotten MGS4 and SH5 and enjoyed them.

now where was oh yes Oh yahtzee forgive this troubled soul for he does not know what he does. May the yahtzee be with you children, and criticise everything

I actually like the way sexuality is handled in Bayonetta. It's obviously very over-the-top, but it's an overlying theme in the game and doesn't feel like something blindly tacked on to ring in more customers, like most sexuality in this sort of game does.

Of course, I'm sure ringing in more customers was one of the things they took into consideration when designing the game and its protagonist. But they didn't just give the main character an inexplicably skimpy outfit and leave it at that; they made it part of Bayonetta's character, and I think in the end this made the sexuality more "fun" than "sleazy", to use the terms lightly.

Love the review, love to see how it defines you as well.

Figures though why you hate the quicktime events so much. You hated Demon's Souls which is about the only game that is spectacular and has NO quicktime events AT ALL! When is it good enough? What kind of fun challenge would you possibly seek?

Great review.

You seem to have pointed out the same flaws as I did in my review.

Stabby Joe:
After playing the demo I found the gameplay over the top but in a god way...

...however the music really annoyed me, but made worse were all the critics went on to say how good it was while I found it sugary repetitive J-pop... something that plenty of gamers hate.

I love sugary sweet J-pop, the soundtrack owns.

Tastes and stuff ~

i don't know if you guys are listening or not, but basically yahtzee is saying that the game is actually a decent game you twits. the only game he is not gonna talk shit about is portal! he is saying it's a decent game that is fun despite it's many flaws so why are you all saying it your not gonna play it because of his review. it like you all only listned to the insults and assumed he did not like playing the game you twits! he said play but don't follow the story line. thats the summary! you have comprehesion skills ppl! use them! why the hell are you trying (and failing)to be fucking sheep!

I don't usually laugh out loud on some of your reviews but this one made me. Good job, sir.

he doesn't give much of a shit about sarah palin and he doesn't have to considering he lives in australia and is british and sarah is not really a world wide figure head

didn't see ur comment when i put in mine but at least someone actually listens. i'm personally going to get it whenever i get around to getting an xbox but this game kinda reminds me of bullet witch except more flipping and nudity for no reason

Pretty spot on. The action often does come down to just button mashing as opposed to true combo work like in GoW, the game often does rate you poorly, and the plot and cut-scenes are extremely convoluted and drawn out. Still, when it's fun it is lots of fun, but there's still quite a bit of shit to shovel through..

Two Devil May Cry clones in a row. I wonder of Yahtzee just finds these kinds of games halfway bearable enough to review.

Very good review. The game is sh*t, though. I really hope (or don't hope?) that there is going to be a Mass Effect 2 review. I liked the first part very much, and there were games Yahtzee said worse things about, so I'm curios.

hahaha, confusing pacman is now a meme.

So Yatzhee actually enjoyed this game? Or did I misinterpret what he said?

Laughed hard at some key parts of the review. Agree about the story (put me off the game, actually) and the lame, unvaried soundtrack.

Sonicron:

SomeBritishDude:
Very funny. My mind boggles at Pacmans story too.

However, still no shattered memorys?! I want to here from a silent hill lover whether the new one is shit or not, is that too much to ask?

Shattered Memories isn't out in Australia until March, and he can't import Wii games for some reason.

I get the impression that the PS3 is Yahtzee's preferred platform because most PS3 games are region free and therefore easy to import. Most 360 games on the other hand are region locked and therefore can't be played on different regional systems through any conventional means. The same is apparently also true for Wii games.

HK_01:

That's the problem. He doesn't address the issue of whether the game is actually good or not. So we really don't have a Zero Punctuation verdict on Bayonetta yet. Hopefully he'll clear this up with a subsequent Extra Punctuation article.

lol the bum jokes. I dont know if i want this game.

...No banhammers at the start?

THEY LEARN!

Oh, and I liked this. Nice word swapping.

Ha, he enjoyed it! I know you did, Yahtzee!

I find it odd that he displayed the 360 version's box while talking about the horrible load times exclusive to the PS3 though.

I enjoyed this as much as any other, but I found it actually pretty easy to judge when enemies were telegraphing attacks unless it was the huge buggers that vanish when they get in front of where she is standing so as not to block our view OF bayonetta or should I say

so that we can continue to oggle her even as she's killing things that are technically blocking the camera.

yourbeliefs:
PThe action often does come down to just button mashing as opposed to true combo work like in GoW, the game often does rate you poorly,

There's a reason you get low ratings. You mentioned it in your own post, see if you can guess what it is.

Also GoW is button mashing. I have no idea what game everyone else is playing.

A1:

HK_01:

That's the problem. He doesn't address the issue of whether the game is actually good or not. So we really don't have a Zero Punctuation verdict on Bayonetta yet. Hopefully he'll clear this up with a subsequent Extra Punctuation article.

He's said himself before though that he's not trying to influence our buying decisions (except in the few cases where he outright says such a thing in plain black and white . . . and yellow) all he's really doing is pointing out the flaws of a continually flawed system that seems to REFUSE to ever improve, the few occasions when it does, it improves only to end up messing up a whole set of other things.

Bayonetta for isntance is an improvement on Devil May Cry, but still manages to mess things up like with the absurdly short QTE activation times (I've died more then a few times from those alone)

I played the demo and was so lost in what was going on, that it just turned into a button mash fest. All too right on the damn QTE as well. Horribly punishing if you so much as dare to blink as you're playing. I may end up renting it just for laughs, but this certainly isn't going to be one that I dish out the money for.

It is a wonder how many people missed the "If you can ignore all my purposefuly negavtive emphasis on everything I can nitpick it is worth getting" part and say they are not getting it now because he didn't like it.

great as always Yatzee

lacktheknack:

THEY LEARN!

I KNOW!

but, yeah, since when are games erotic at all?

I like reviews that have more content like this one. Good review.

neoman10:

lacktheknack:

THEY LEARN!

I KNOW!

but, yeah, since when are games erotic at all?

Since Tomb Raider?

And if you don't count that, then since Bayonetta, obviously.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here