Industry Elites Added As Judges for Webcomic Contest

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 41 NEXT

SairexQT:
Is it considered copyright violation if the webcomic is centered around the world that is created by somebody else, but uses mainly original characters, but features ones that are also created by the author of the world. For example, I want to write a comic of which the character lives in the world of Half Life, but is never before seen in the game, but the comic also features some characters that are in the game itself (Dr. Breen).

Now, my idea for a comic is one about five different characters in the Warcraft Universe by Blizzard. Would this violate the copyright laws? I ask because a lot of people make creative content based on the Warcraft games (comics/machinima).

While I'm at it, I need an artist that would be interested in such a project. So if this is allowed in the contest, please write me a private message.

Thank you.

This is a very grey area. While you are allowed to use images from the Warcraft Universe, doing anything to promote a brand (say a certain soda) or putting them in unflattering situations that could hurt the brand, would get the comic closed before you could blink. So, if you are just using the images or even your characters from the game but your content is not affect the brand, you should be okay. There are a lot of webcomics out there that use parody from games, so the only thing we can do is ask you to try and we'll see what happens.

aeroz:
I got a few questions. First is about the banner/logo thing
It says it should be no bigger then 300x300, then
Webcomics width must be no larger than 650 pixels
Webcomics height must be no larger than 1280 pixels
followed by saying these dimensions are valid for the logo/banner. so I am confused on what the dimensions should be

second question, any restrictions at all on violence and profanity? none was mentioned but figured I'd ask.

First, thanks for the heads up about the dimensions. The main page has been altered to reflect your concerns and we will stay with the "no bigger than 300x300". Much appreciated.

Second, there isn't really a rule about violence and profanity but if we feel if there is too much of either, it won't be posted. A good rule of thumb is: if you think you may have gone too far, then you probably have.

Ah, thank you, that's actually wonderful since I'm just going to adopt the environment, I'm guessing nothing bad should come out of that.

So, once again, is there any artist here who is familiar with and would like to contribute to my idea of a Warcraft based comic. I've already got the introduction of all the characters and some future situtations done and all that needs to be done is re-write them in a script form.

WARNING: This is not going to be a comedy story, any and all kind of comedy regarding this would be a filler and most likely Out of Character compared to the original plot.
Also, if you are not a visual artist, but know your way around models then the comic can be done using in-game models (like Flintlocke's Guide to Azeroth)

SairexQT:
Ah, thank you, that's actually wonderful since I'm just going to adopt the environment, I'm guessing nothing bad should come out of that.

So, once again, is there any artist here who is familiar with and would like to contribute to my idea of a Warcraft based comic. I've already got the introduction of all the characters and some future situtations done and all that needs to be done is re-write them in a script form.

WARNING: This is not going to be a comedy story, any and all kind of comedy regarding this would be a filler and most likely Out of Character compared to the original plot.
Also, if you are not a visual artist, but know your way around models then the comic can be done using in-game models (like Flintlocke's Guide to Azeroth)

Very cool. Please also remember not to use any storyline that Blizzard is using. That crosses in from parody to fan art/fan fiction and Blizzard will have the right to ask us to take it down immediately.

No, all original characters and original storyline :)

>.< i really want to enter this, but my ideas are limited at the moment

i do have a premise though and somewhat competent art skills, i'll probably end up submitting on the 27th but until then time to get to work

Question: are you looking for a humor comic or just a comic in general?

Edit: also does it have to be colour?

I always wanted to something like this for a living, started some skecthes already.

And im guessing your looking for something funny? I would team up with a writer but I have all these hilarious experiences with games that I can draw from .

OK I have a couple of web comics that I been meaning to put up. can I only enter one of them or can I send all of them. the thing is I cant decide which one to send and I don't want to mess this up.

Is there an age limit to this contest? For example, I am 16, does that mean I will be unable to enter?

Also, are we able to use names of games in the conversations within the comic? Like the characters are talking about it? (It is in several comics such as Penny Arcade)

I am excited about this contest if I am able to do it and I will give it my best!

(P.S. Is this contest void in Arizona?)

stick figures FTW!

Blanks:
>.< i really want to enter this, but my ideas are limited at the moment

i do have a premise though and somewhat competent art skills, i'll probably end up submitting on the 27th but until then time to get to work

Question: are you looking for a humor comic or just a comic in general?

Edit: also does it have to be colour?

You can enter any type of comic you like, so no, it doesn't just have to be humorous. It also does not have to be in color.

fatape:
I always wanted to something like this for a living, started some skecthes already.

And im guessing your looking for something funny? I would team up with a writer but I have all these hilarious experiences with games that I can draw from .

Nope, doesn't have to be funny at all. As long as it falls within our rules, we are good to go.

4242:
OK I have a couple of web comics that I been meaning to put up. can I only enter one of them or can I send all of them. the thing is I cant decide which one to send and I don't want to mess this up.

Pick your best/favorite and send it in. Depending on what you are trying to accomplish with your strip, you don't necessarily have to use all the same characters every time. The Far Side comics never repeat characters and while Penny Arcade uses the same characters often, they also introduce side stories dependent upon gaming news or anything else that pops in their head. So, send us your best!

in that case id be willing to work with an writer if anyone is interested?

btw could I enter twice once with a writer and once by myself(as long as the write submits)?

PrayerofRefugee:
Is there an age limit to this contest? For example, I am 16, does that mean I will be unable to enter?

Also, are we able to use names of games in the conversations within the comic? Like the characters are talking about it? (It is in several comics such as Penny Arcade)

I am excited about this contest if I am able to do it and I will give it my best!

(P.S. Is this contest void in Arizona?)

There is no age limit but if you are chosen as the winner and younger than 18, a guardian or parent will have to be part of the contract.

Names of games in the conversation are okay, just like the way Shamus does it in Stolen Pixels or the guys from Penny Arcade.

Not sure why it wouldn't be valid in Arizona. Please PM me with further questions pertaining to this point.

fatape:
in that case id be willing to work with an writer if anyone is interested?

btw could I enter twice once with a writer and once by myself(as long as the write submits)?

If you are working in conjunction with someone else, that will count as both of your entries.

Thanks for the advice. It kind of helped. It just my top four comics are in differnt worlds and or styles. But as I thought it over only one of them I can do two or more a week. All the others take too long. So any way thanks.

Are we free to mock things? I'm thinking the iPad specifically, but also mentioning specific game titles and stuff.

So, whatever I enter, the characters, story, etc. can't have been anywhere else before? So, if I had a webcomic going on a free site, I couldn't like transplant the characters and stuff into the contest entry and enter that, huh?

I think I already know the answer, but it doesn't hurt to check.

I presume screenshots from games I have played are allowed?

does it need to have a storyline? or can it be like xkcd and penny arcade wich deals with new issues each strip?

Legally speaking, what happens if the winner isn't able to follow their contract?

For example, if the selected cartoonist fails to update twice a week, can he/she be sued?

(Out of curiousity, would you call 'twice a week' comic a biweekly or semiweekly?)

To Onyx Oblivion, Zepren and anyone else: If you have a comic idea but need an artist, I'd be more than happy to do the art. If you wanna see some samples, I've just put my grad school portfolio up at salerno1887.worpress.com

Spinwhiz:

Very cool. Please also remember not to use any storyline that Blizzard is using. That crosses in from parody to fan art/fan fiction and Blizzard will have the right to ask us to take it down immediately.

So you can use game models and stuff like that for this?
Let's say, i'll make a Halo Grunt comic using Halo Custom Edition and this would be fine?

And, does it have to be funny, like, all the time?

This contest looks great! I guess that people from outside the US are allowed to participate as well, are we?

Sorry if this question has been asked already, but is it possible to enter twice- with two different comics?

NpPro93:
Are we free to mock things? I'm thinking the iPad specifically, but also mentioning specific game titles and stuff.

Yes, mocking is fine as long as it is parody.

kbwall:
So, whatever I enter, the characters, story, etc. can't have been anywhere else before? So, if I had a webcomic going on a free site, I couldn't like transplant the characters and stuff into the contest entry and enter that, huh?

I think I already know the answer, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Correct. We need completely new ideas here. Bring your best! We look forward to it :)

thermo1:
I presume screenshots from games I have played are allowed?

As long as you aren't telling the story of the screenshots (almost like a spoiler) or extending the storyline (like the world of Harry Potter) you should be fine. When you start infringing on the art and story that people have worked so hard to create, that becomes fan fiction, and cannot be used.

celederer:
does it need to have a storyline? or can it be like xkcd and penny arcade wich deals with new issues each strip?

Nope, no storyline required and can be the same outline/structure and XKCD or Penny Arcade use. Sounds like you have a good idea brewing!

AlpineGuy:
Legally speaking, what happens if the winner isn't able to follow their contract?

For example, if the selected cartoonist fails to update twice a week, can he/she be sued?

(Out of curiousity, would you call 'twice a week' comic a biweekly or semiweekly?)

That will all be gone over during the creation of the contract. Also, we use the term "twice weekly".

honshuwolf:

Spinwhiz:

Let's say, i'll make a Halo Grunt comic using Halo Custom Edition and this would be fine?

As long as it doesn't pertain to the Halo World, you should be good to go. We'll be able to find out better once we can see it.

Also, these comics don't have to be funny all the time. They can be whatever you choose. We are ready to look at everything.

maxbola:
This contest looks great! I guess that people from outside the US are allowed to participate as well, are we?

Yup, this is an international contest, although we do ask that your comic be in English.

JoeBloggs:
Sorry if this question has been asked already, but is it possible to enter twice- with two different comics?

Unfortunately not. Submit whatever you think is your best work!

Spinwhiz:

honshuwolf:

Spinwhiz:

As long as it doesn't pertain to the Halo World, you should be good to go. We'll be able to find out better once we can see it.

Also, these comics don't have to be funny all the time. They can be whatever you choose. We are ready to look at everything.

Ok so i guess i can't do a story about a Grunt going through Nipple Academy because that is an actual place in the Halo world, right?

honshuwolf:

Spinwhiz:

honshuwolf:

Spinwhiz:

Ok so i guess i can't do a story about a Grunt going through Nipple Academy because that is an actual place in the Halo world, right?

Has a good chance of not making it.

Will all of the final comics being published have to fit within certain dimensions? I sometimes do some rather long (vertically speaking) comics, and was just curious if that kind of thing would be allowed? Though I can easily do shorter comics as well, it's just more of a personal preference of mine to have longer comic pages, is all.

My interest has risen from the depths like a... like a deep risen thing. Like an octopus.

I'm a tolerable artist/inker/colourist and I'm pretty savvy with the actual technical tomfoolery involved in making a comic (why oh why does photoshop lack a 'speech bubble' button?) but mainly I am a wordsmith. Any decent artists out there looking to team up Batman and Superman style (you have to be superman though)?

Tootmania:
Will all of the final comics being published have to fit within certain dimensions? I sometimes do some rather long (vertically speaking) comics, and was just curious if that kind of thing would be allowed? Though I can easily do shorter comics as well, it's just more of a personal preference of mine to have longer comic pages, is all.

For the contest, we are asking for these dimensions:
* Single frame logo/brand should be no bigger than 300x300 (please keep it square)
* Webcomics width must be no larger than 650 pixels
* Webcomics height must be no larger than 1280 pixels

If you are chosen as the winner, we can talk about using a longer length for your comic.

Im an artist and I would love to collab with a writer and give this thing a shot. Just send me something that shows youve got what it takes to be my writer. What I mean by this is that youve got both great ideas for a story and the ability to organize and focus those ideas into words that I can turn into pictures....

Im not a super fantastic artist but I can match cad and some early-ish penny arcade and I am interested in art as a major hobby and am always getting better.
Some pics on my deviant:
http://r4nd0mpunk.deviantart.com/art/Flyboard-109980873
http://r4nd0mpunk.deviantart.com/art/Explosion-100391383

Hi, i have a Question about the size of the Webcomic. when it says "width must be no larger than 650 pixels height must be no larger than 1280 pixels" Is that referring to the 4 submissions separately or as a whole and they should add up to that size?

thanks in advance

Okay! I have a couple questions. I've read through what's on here, and some questions already asked have come close to mine, but I want to make sure the particulars of my questions are answered. ^^

"You must submit one (1) single frame of logo or brand and four (4) pieces of art, totaling 5 submissions"

Okay, so I was wondering exactly what this means. Does it mean you submit four comic examples, or a comic that has four cels, but each separately, or four one cel comic examples? A little clarification on this would be super helpful. :)

Also, if I wanted to do a comic that occasionally took place in a video game world and had certain game character cameos, like Link for instance, would that be considered copyright infringement?

Regarding video game plot and plot spoilers, I have a couple scenarios for example: Say you had an original character who is in a Final Fantasy game, and they know they have to get from point A to point B (NO spoilers or significant plot revealed, the person is just told to go from this town to the next, and maybe kill this or that along the way,) would that be CR infringement?

Or if an original character is solving some sort of puzzle in a game--would they be able to solve the original puzzle, or would that be a spoiler? Would you have to make up your own puzzle?

Can original characters interact with in-game characters? If so, would the in-game characters need to stay true to their original personality, or could they be a reflection of the original character's interpretation of the in-game character?

Also, can original characters mention certain in-game places? For example, if a character says something like, "Oh, just head over to Nook's Cranny (Animal Crossing)..." is that allowed?

I'm just trying to figure out exactly what's considered a copyright infringement. ^^ I certainly don't want to cross any boundaries!

Thank you for your time. :D

I accidentally put "how many comics can you enter" into the description box because I thought it was a question box. can somebody like reset it for me?

doggkun:
Hi, i have a Question about the size of the Webcomic. when it says "width must be no larger than 650 pixels height must be no larger than 1280 pixels" Is that referring to the 4 submissions separately or as a whole and they should add up to that size?

thanks in advance

I don't intend to be rude but...are you joking?

Because there's been far too much questioning of it, and because I'm sure Spinwhiz has other things to do, a note on copyright:

"copyright infringement occurs when a copyrighted work is reproduced, distributed, performed, publicly displayed, or made into a derivative work without the permission of the copyright owner." (emphasis mine) -U.S. Copyright Office

Which means if you are taking someone's plot, setting or characters and attempting to do anything serious with them--don't. Fair use gives a small amount of leeway for excerpts, but the only way that would be relevant in a webcomic is as parody, or if the webcomic is making a critical review on the subject.

And it really doesn't take much to check up on questions you might have. The official page of the U.S. Copyright Office is pretty darn accessible, and there's a wiki if you want to avoid primary sources.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 41 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 47492)